PDA

View Full Version : Muffler Question

cbstokes
07-03-2013, 05:51 PM
This is my first post to the forum but I've read many good threads that have helped in several situations. This forum is wonderful and the members have a wealth of knowledge.

Anyway, I have an '86 Prostar and love the boat, runs great and pulls like a dream, but it's way too loud. It still has the original exhaust but it's so loud that you can barely carry on a conversation whenever doing anything other than idle speed. It sounds bad to the bone but I've just installed a radio and would like to enjoy some tunes while on the lake. Can the group please give me some recommendations for the most efficient mufflers that I can install to quiet my boat down?

mikeg205
07-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Silent Craft is what most MC's have...

http://www.wakeboards.com/MasterCraft-Muffler-3-5-Inline-For-Skier-19-p/muffler_vert_3.5_skier.htm

cbstokes
07-04-2013, 07:42 AM
Thanks, do they do a really good job of quieting the exhaust?

Cloaked
07-04-2013, 07:47 AM
Thanks, do they do a really good job of quieting the exhaust?
At the risk of this being a useless post, the answer is yes ...........Make sure you get the proper size. Some exhausts come with 3" dia on one end and 3.5" dia on the other. Not a bad thing if in fact that is your setup. Measure your riser ports and your exhaust ports for confirmation before you buy. Most of the boats I have dealt with have been 3" on each end...

I hope this post has been useful and tidy. Some folks have a comprehension disability.

Check www.skidim.com (http://www.skidim.com) as well....

cbstokes
07-05-2013, 09:58 PM
I appreciate the posts. I haven't seen anything about how well various mufflers perform on this thread or any others, only comments on various sizes and where one can get them. I was hoping for advice about which muffler manufacturers perform best.

mikeg205
07-05-2013, 11:20 PM
Cruising at 25-30 - on my 95 - you can have a conversation... I can hear the non mufflered boats even when I am skiing behind mine and the others are going by.

cbstokes
07-20-2013, 11:43 PM
Thanks, Mike. Are your mufflers original, OEM replacements or aftermarket?

mikeg205
07-20-2013, 11:52 PM
correction silent master on the name - mine are original. if you want quieter then silent master mufflers plus Fresh Air Exhaust.