PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a 1994 ProStar 190

gr8smiles
07-03-2013, 08:38 AM
I have been riding behind Mastercrafts since 1979 when we had a new 1980 Stars and Stripes. I had a 90 TriStar 220 for a few years, then a 2000 X-Star, and currently have a 2005 X-Star with nearly 700 hours. I am 50 and wanting to improve and strengthen my slalom game. A friend has a 1978 S&S and has oil and engine issues.
I am thinking that this might be a nice ride:

http://www.aquasportnashville.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?sid=09587213X7K2K2013J9I19I25 JAMQ6516R0&veh=3276877

They are my local dealer and this looks priced right. Not my 1st choice of color, but I don't want to spend much more. I am going by this am and taking cash. What should I offer? I understand that the 94 had fuel injection and the older hull, which is preferred.
What should I be looking for? Pay special attention to?

Boat looks like it has been kept dry-docked and looks pretty good in pics. Very low hours for a 19 yo boat.
Thanks
Rick
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Andrť
07-03-2013, 09:38 AM
That s a very clean 94!
Nothing wrong with the colors.I got the Barney boat!
Great skiing hull,one of the few all time best IMO.Very reliable and easy to work on first gen EFI engine.
That boat look as it been taken care of!
Offer 10.5k and see...
Good luck!

Edit: Hit 1400 hrs with my 94 last nite!Still pulling strong.

Dino Don
07-03-2013, 09:41 AM
Looks like a nice boat and well kept but pictures can be misleading. When you see it you'll know. Start low ---you can always go up! He is up knowing he can come down but cannot go up!

Skipper
07-03-2013, 09:44 AM
Excellent boat! You cannot go wrong with that at all. Best hull for slalom. The TBI engine is very dependable. Looks very clean.

mikeg205
07-03-2013, 09:47 AM
I would go take a look... great price - if the boat is what it is... water test!

AZDave
07-03-2013, 09:52 AM
If it runs good with no vibration, and the gelcoat and interior look as good as the pictures, buy it. The price is pretty good for the hours, he will get that price from someone.

Jerseydave
07-04-2013, 08:17 AM
Crazy how similar we both are.
Both 50
Both have an 05 X-star
I have a '93 190, same hull as the '94 you're looking at :D

That's a decent price for a low hours '94. Prop looks like it's a powerslot, is it?
In one pic it looks like the fender is damaged on the trailer? If so, you could use that to get the price lower...but honestly that's a pretty good price on that boat. Good luck!

rjracin240
07-04-2013, 08:40 AM
[
They are my local dealer and this looks priced right. Not my 1st choice of color, but I don't want to spend much more. I am going by this am and taking cash. What should I offer? I understand that the 94 had fuel injection and the older hull, which is preferred.
What should I be looking for? Pay special attention to? ;quote]

So what happened that was yesterday.............you know on here we always want to know:D

92 190 PS
07-04-2013, 09:00 AM
I will make you a good deal on my 92 190...

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat&postid=24057

wtrskr
07-04-2013, 03:52 PM
With the 4 blade prop on it, there is a good chance that it has the powerslot. I beleive the 1:1 transmissions came standard with a 3 blade, and the 1.5:1 with the 4 blade. If it has it, then that's the same setup I have ('94 TBI, powerslot).

When I was buying a few years ago the 94's (that were selling) seemed to be going in the 10K range. If it were me, I start down there or below and work up if you have to.

I know a group of 50+ guys that ski and they really appreciate the smaller slalom wake of the '94. Wake differences bettween the Prostars of different years are less of an issue if the rope is shortened and if you are going 36 mph.

gr8smiles
07-05-2013, 12:45 AM
[
What should I be looking for? Pay special attention to? ;quote]

So what happened that was yesterday.............you know on here we always want to know:D

Went by and saw the boat. Actually, he let me take it to the lake for the weekend; however, I seemed to have forgotten to tell the Mrs. that I would be bringing a boat to test. After I got there, I decided to take it back in the interest of marital harmony....ie...she was pissed:) So, I'll pick my battles and wait for a better color:)
Some cracking on the seats, yes the fender was busted, boat started great and sounded great. Has rained 2" here today, so I did not miss out on anything.
Wished I could have skied behind her :( thanks for the input.
Price was gonna be around 10,500.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

clrussell
07-05-2013, 06:59 AM
Gr8 are you gonna sell your star after buying a prostar? Or keep both?

gr8smiles
07-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Definitely keep it. My son won the NCAA Wakeboard Championships while at Tennessee in 2011 and that puppy will always be around. Plumbed in ProBallast this year. She's a surfing, boarding, and foiling machine!!!

clrussell
07-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Definitely keep it. My son won the NCAA Wakeboard Championships while at Tennessee in 2011 and that puppy will always be around. Plumbed in ProBallast this year. She's a surfing, boarding, and foiling machine!!!

That's awesome!

lake weir skier
08-19-2013, 11:57 PM
I bought this boat July 23. After a 33-year absence from skiing, I’ve slalomed behind it. My girlfriend skied behind it after a 25-year absence from skiing. I’ve also taught four kids to ski with it.

I bought it after looking at a 1997 ProStar 190 here in Florida and then borrowing a pickup from a friend and heading to Tennessee and North Carolina with a list of four ProStar 190s for sale – two 1994s, a 1995, and a 1997. After looking at all five boats, I bought this 1994 for the reportedly superior slalom wake.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this valuable forum over the years. While searching for a boat and since making this purchase, I’ve spent many hours on this forum learning from you.

Jerseydave
08-20-2013, 09:16 PM

Glad to hear you're keeping the x-star! Good man!

Jerseydave
08-20-2013, 09:19 PM
I bought this boat July 23. After a 33-year absence from skiing, Iíve slalomed behind it. My girlfriend skied behind it after a 25-year absence from skiing. Iíve also taught four kids to ski with it.

I bought it after looking at a 1997 ProStar 190 here in Florida and then borrowing a pickup from a friend and heading to Tennessee and North Carolina with a list of four ProStar 190s for sale Ė two 1994s, a 1995, and a 1997. After looking at all five boats, I bought this 1994 for the reportedly superior slalom wake.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this valuable forum over the years. While searching for a boat and since making this purchase, Iíve spent many hours on this forum learning from you.

Glad to hear you got yourself a nice 190! Loved my '94 and love my '93 Limited even more!
BTW I have a friend moving to FLA near Lake Weir. How is that lake for skiing? My friend was hoping to hook up with some boat owners down there since he's been boatless for 2 years.
He mostly wakeboards

lake weir skier
08-21-2013, 10:16 AM
The Lake Weir area consists of Lake Weir, which shrinks down in one portion called Sunset Harbor, Little Lake Weir, and a canal that connects Sunset Harbor and Little Lake Weir. Locals refer to them as the “big lake” and the “little lake.” Both lakes have long been used for water sports in this area.

The water is down about seven feet from historic norms. We need several tropical storms/hurricanes. You can walk around the ends of many docks. The big lake and the little lake have pan shaped bottoms and are smaller than normal but are still safe for water sports for the most part. However, a county parks official told me a few weeks ago he won’t let his children do water sports in Sunset Harbor now because of high spots in the lake bottom.

As a child, I spent many summer days skiing on the little lake in the early 1970s when a professional with a ramp and slalom course lived on the lake. The ramp is gone, but there is a slalom course. I find more than three boats on the lake make a mess, but I rented a house on this lake earlier this month for two weeks and had the lake to myself most days. The canal is bone dry and there is no public launch facility on the little lake, so traffic is currently limited to what comes off surrounding private property.

At around nine square miles, the big lake is about ten times the size of the little lake. Until buying the 190 recently and getting behind it, I was boatless and away from water sports for decades and don’t know much about wakeboarding. I’ve heard the big lake is considered good by wakeboarders. Local boat dealers have sponsored competitions on it that have been covered by the local paper.

http://www.ocala.com/article/20060416/NEWS/204160359/0/SEARCH?p=1&tc=pg

http://www.ocala.com/article/20070408/NEWS/204080346?p=2&tc=pg

http://www.ocala.com/article/20030630/NEWS/306300011/0/SEARCH?p=1&tc=pg

The main public ramps for the big lake are located at a county park on what is known as Carney Island, which is actually a peninsula the county bought from Coke which had it via Minute Maid because it at one time contained orange groves. In 2007, the county spent millions putting in ramps and other amenities. I measured the water depth on the ramps before buying the 190 and determined there was just enough depth to launch it. In the warmest months, these ramps get quite busy on the weekend and are only lightly used other days.