PDA

View Full Version : '78 master craft neutral sensor

Stevfine
07-02-2013, 09:09 PM
I have replaced everything between the ignition switch and the starter.. solenoid, you name it, everything checks out good. But I still have nothing when I turn on the key...lights and blower work, but not even a click.
The only thing I have left to change out is the sensor on the tranny that must engage and disengage when starting...I'm guessing!? Like a safety?
Anyone have any info on the little gizmo.
There are two wires attached to a nut...which attaches to a three bolt housing ( small) on the exterior of the transmission itself. The nut separates the wire housing...I guess what I need to know, should all of this be replaced...or just the electrical housing?
One day it fired..the next day nothing..
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Bluccous
07-02-2013, 11:33 PM
Not sure if this will work but u may connect the to wires together and see if it will start. I think it may b like the safety kill switch. I know that will work on it mine is by passed know due to a faulty switch.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-02-2013, 11:46 PM
It is a neutral safety switch designed so that you can't start it in gear. You can test it with an ohmmeter if the power is off, or with a voltmeter with the power on. You are just looking for continuity. You may find you need to disassemble the throttle assembly and clean it out. My '77 was having a tough time getting the throttle just right and when I opened up the throttle housing, I found original grease which was almost petrified and half a beach worth of sand.