PDA

View Full Version : Can i replace my starter with an automtive?

Jhen28
07-02-2013, 06:46 PM
I have a 76 Skier w/ a 351 and need to replace my starter. i have found one at the local auto parts that will works with a standard 351 ford but im not sure if the rotation be correct?

Cloaked
07-02-2013, 06:49 PM
I have a 76 Skier w/ a 351 and need to replace my starter. i have found one at the local auto parts that will works with a standard 351 ford but im not sure if the rotation be correct?
lol... I'd consider more than the rotation............ for safety's sake....

Boat VS auto store.... :D

not recommended

Jhen28
07-02-2013, 06:58 PM
ok for starters rotation; any feedback?

mikeg205
07-02-2013, 07:03 PM
NOooooooo!!!!! - unless you like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjuUDQ7WwKo

auto starter not shielded for sparks - same for alternator...

Jhen28
07-02-2013, 07:38 PM
thanks for the reply, i have found a marine starter for my boat on line. do i need to look for anything specific to rotation or can i assume that if is marine the roation will work?

Cloaked
07-02-2013, 07:41 PM
thanks for the reply, i have found a marine starter for my boat on line. do i need to look for anything specific to rotation or can i assume that if is marine the roation will work?
Left hand rotating starter for the Ford 302 / 351 engine

A marine dedicated starter is required. Auto starters have an open case that does not contain potential sparking, presenting a danger in a confined space (under the engine cover) VS an open under-hood space in an automobile

I like to reference these folks for my parts ==> www.skidim.com (http://www.skidim.com)

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-02-2013, 07:41 PM

All depends on your engine rotation, LH is "standard" rotation, RH is "reverse" rotation.
most likely you have a LH rotation, however iirc a few mastercrafts from the '70's were RH, so you need to verify.

Use this site to help you with figuring it out
http://www.arcomarine.com/xhtml/tech%20determine%20marine%20starter%20rotation.pdf

Cloaked
07-02-2013, 07:46 PM
All depends on your engine rotation, LH is "standard" rotation, RH is "reverse" rotation.
most likely you have a LH rotation, however iirc a few mastercrafts from the '70's were RH, so you need to verify.

Use this site to help you with figuring it out
http://www.arcomarine.com/xhtml/tech%20determine%20marine%20starter%20rotation.pdf Always good to confirm in the older engines. I think MC put in whatever was lying in the scrap yard in the early days :D

JohnE
07-02-2013, 08:13 PM
Always good to confirm in the older engines. I think MC put in whatever was lying in the scrap yard in the early days :D

Some early xstars had reverse rotation from what I have been told

88 PS190
07-02-2013, 08:17 PM
You can always just have them rebuilt!

Check your phone book.

Jhen28
07-02-2013, 08:50 PM
I have been told that the engine rotates the opposite way of your prop. so looking at the back of my boat my prop turns right therfore would my engine be a LH?

I will most likely need to jump through some hoops to get a starter before the 4th so i want to be sure.

unfortunetly my old starter is wasted and cannot be rebuilt or tested for rotation because it is ceased up.

east tx skier
07-02-2013, 09:27 PM
I have been told that the engine rotates the opposite way of your prop. so looking at the back of my boat my prop turns right therfore would my engine be a LH?

I will most likely need to jump through some hoops to get a starter before the 4th so i want to be sure.

unfortunetly my old starter is wasted and cannot be rebuilt or tested for rotation because it is ceased up.

In a later model Correct Craft, that is true because the opposite rotation is handled by the transmission. However, as far as I know, most boats (even Correct Crafts past the 1980s) are left hand rotation engines. Your engine is a PCM. So you need to determine the engine rotation based on what you have. What you were told was a generalization, even if it is right. I'm sorry, but I don't know the answer to rotation on your '76.

catamount
07-02-2013, 11:17 PM
Why would anyone ever rebuild that anchor? OP, you can pick up a brand new Arco gear reduction starter for just a few dollars more than a rebuild would cost. It'll spin your motor so fast your head will spin, and give you faster starts. Call Arco and they'll be sure to get you the right part.

I think I paid $124 shipped for mine. One of the best upgrades I made to my boat.

http://i.imgur.com/prCxZCd.jpg

Bluccous
07-02-2013, 11:43 PM
To find out on rotation remove distributor and coil wire and roll engine over using a socket and ratchet on bottom engine pulley. Will doing this note the way the rotor is turning. RH or LH.e

thatsmrmastercraft
07-02-2013, 11:52 PM
To find out on rotation remove distributor and coil wire and roll engine over using a socket and ratchet on bottom engine pulley. Will doing this note the way the rotor is turning. RH or LH.e

It's not as simple as that because you can turn the engine either direction from the crank pulley. You could look at the firing order cast into the intake, then with the dist cap removed (and the key off) turn the engine with a ratchet on the crank bolt and determine which way is correct according to the firing order.

millpondkid
07-03-2013, 12:17 AM
I second the arco..alot lighter and compact. I replaced my stock starter just because and saved the stock for emergency backup.

Jhen28
07-03-2013, 10:07 PM
Ok, I have determined that my motor is a RH roation only after I purchased an Arco starter LH for $219. Looks like I will be waiting until after the 4th to get her runnin.

Arco is the way to just hope I can find one with a little research for a little cheaper!

Thanks for all the great feedback!

catamount
07-04-2013, 10:09 AM
My '87 PS 190 took the Arco 70200. Looks like Overtons has them for $140 shipped, assuming that is the model number you need. I find that Google "shopping" is a great way to compare prices.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Arco-High-Performance-Inboard-Starter-For-Ford-302-/-361-CI-Engines&i=612458&r=view&aID=601M6&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlebase&s_kwcid=googlepla&cvsfa=2587&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=363132343538&cID=SHOPPING_612458

Zazzy
07-13-2013, 12:39 PM
I needed to replace the starter on my boat (just the stock starter) and had an extra starter from one of my race engines (retired 351 cup engine but the bellhousing is the same so the starter fits). The starter for the race engine is a much better piece than the typical starter. It's sealed, has gear reduction, lighter, etc., so I called the manufacture to check if it was marine rated.

Although I didn't think it was marine rated, I thought it was worth a phone call. I didn't get lucky so I bought an Arco. Pictures are attached so you can see the comparison.