PDA

View Full Version : Engine Failure

eurosysytem0
07-01-2013, 04:26 AM
A friend of mine has a 2004 Prostar 197. He has just had an engine failure - serious knocking after about 1000 yards. The boat has been running fine for about 3 months.

The engine has been pulled and, as a first step, the bottom end (sump etc) was removed and there is clear indication of some sort of oil feed/supply failure because the crankshaft is scored.

The engineer has identified that when the owner (my friend) changed his own oil filter this year, he did not remove the old seal so consequently the filter had TWO ring seals fitted. However he did not have any oil leaks from the filter.

Question:
1. Is the fitment of two ring seals on the oil filter likely to have caused an oil feed problem?
2. If yes , why?

eurosysytem0
07-01-2013, 07:08 AM
33 views- no answers. Any help out there?

Legolamb
07-01-2013, 07:11 AM
Usually when the old gasket from your oil filter is stuck on and you put another on top of it, you will develop an oil leak. If this was your friends case, and he leaked out all his oil, then yes that was his problem. I would hope that he noticed a leak prior to this happening. If there weren't any leaks with two gaskets on his filter, then his failure is due to something else.

medicmoose
07-01-2013, 07:30 AM
If there weren't any leaks with two gaskets on his filter, then his failure is due to something else.

+1 on that.

CantRepeat
07-01-2013, 08:19 AM
A friend of mine has a 2004 Prostar 197. He has just had an engine failure - serious knocking after about 1000 yards. The boat has been running fine for about 3 months.

The engine has been pulled and, as a first step, the bottom end (sump etc) was removed and there is clear indication of some sort of oil feed/supply failure because the crankshaft is scored.

The engineer has identified that when the owner (my friend) changed his own oil filter this year, he did not remove the old seal so consequently the filter had TWO ring seals fitted. However he did not have any oil leaks from the filter.

Question:
1. Is the fitment of two ring seals on the oil filter likely to have caused an oil feed problem?
2. If yes , why?

Without leaking the oil out I could not see why two gaskets would kill the motor. You say he had no leaks so as long as the motor has oil pressure it should not matter.

I would think he spun a bearing for some other reason.

http://www.grumpysperformance.com/SBCOiling.gif

mikeg205
07-01-2013, 10:57 AM
+1 on the above assumptions. Did oil pressure drop when knocking started? Did temperature spike prior to problem?

swardco
07-01-2013, 11:58 AM
From personal experience on a 1991 Toyota Corolla. I had catastrophic failure and rapid oil pressure loss from the double gasket and ended up with ascored crankshaft. Are you sure your friend is not too embarrassed to tell you what really happened???? Like took the boat out, got a low oil pressure alarm, and immediately shut it down hoping for no damage?

thatsmrmastercraft
07-01-2013, 12:51 PM
I will also agree that two rubber oil seals will do no harm if they don't allow all the oil to leak out. The oil usually gets past the two oil seals because the filter gets over-tightened. If the filter is tightened properly, and a little oil is applied to the rubber oil seal, it should seal just fine and cause no problems.

eurosysytem0
07-02-2013, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the inputs. Like you all I could not see how the two gaskets would cause the oil supply failure if the filter had not lost oil. Our local marine engineer here in the UK (not Mastercraft dealer but Indmar/PCM trained) gets really p****d off if we do our own winter servicing/oil changes and I suspect he was "trying to make a point"!

Anyway if anything develops I will let you know

zamboniman
07-02-2013, 03:43 PM
Never seen 2 gaskets not leak