PDA

View Full Version : HELP Trailer Buddy's Throwing Grease

RackAtak
09-05-2004, 12:58 PM
My automatic wheel bearing greasers are throwing grease all over my wheels. How do I prevent this? How do I remove the "Trailer Buddies" and replace them? Are "Bearing Buddies" a better product?

tph
09-05-2004, 01:32 PM
I think this is common. I found two things that help

1) Wipe all excess grease from the inner collar of the bearing buddy

2) Purchase and install the bearing buddy bra.

lakes Rick
09-05-2004, 01:53 PM
I might add:

I had one wheel doing this and couldn't get it to stop.. Turned out the seal was leaking water and the bearing was going bad... Might want to take them out and check them......

DanC
09-06-2004, 12:54 AM
If you do what Terry says and it is still throwing grease, then it is what Rick said. But it is not the bearing, it is the bearing seal. There is an outer seal and an inner seal. Pretty common to blow the seals by over pumping with grease (my dad always believed if a little is good, more is better :noface: ) or overheating (common occurance on long down grades)

tph
09-06-2004, 02:46 AM
I assume that since you said the bearing buddy was throwing grease that you were having problems with the outside of the wheels. If you are getting grease thrown on the inside of your wheels (towards the center of the trailer) you may have a faulty seal. "Lakes Rick" makes a good point. You could be seeing an unusual amount of grease because the grease is combined with water leaking into the hub. In this case, a bra could be hiding a problem. The bearing buddy is pressed into the outer hub of the wheel. I've been able to remove them by tapping around their outer edge with a hammer.