PDA

View Full Version : engine will not idle

Bluccous
07-01-2013, 12:01 AM
Having hell with this boat. 85 model stars and bars with 351 Windsor. Boat ran great half the day, then when the lake got smooth in the evening it would not idle . It has done this several times before I first thought it was plugs. New plugs no better. Cleaned the carb new power valve no better new coil no better. New cap and rotor no better. It is in time and ran hood on top end . Need help

thatsmrmastercraft
07-01-2013, 12:08 AM
Points or electronic ignition?
Have you looked down the throat of the carb to see if it's getting too much gas? Is there any gas going into the secondary side of the carb?
Try spraying carb cleaner around the base of the carb looking for a gasket leak. If it speeds up, you found a leak and it's time to replace gaskets.
Is the choke blade fully open?

Bluccous
07-01-2013, 12:35 AM
Yes could see gas going in carb. Yes choke is open . Yes have sprayed base of carb and intake. It is running very rich . It has electronic ignition.

Scottyyhz
07-01-2013, 12:39 AM
Take a look under your ignition plate at the mechanical spring advance. Check for any corrosion or broken springs.

Also give the carb a tap and see if you have a sticky float, it may be pouring the gas to it and flooding.

Bluccous
07-01-2013, 12:49 AM
There is some corrosion in the distributor but not to bad. I am also having trouble with coil getting very hot. I feel fairly confident that the carb is good . Cleaned it good all metering block ports r open. And floats working properly.

Bluccous
07-01-2013, 01:02 AM
Put a blaster 2 coil on it and it ran good for two days at lake. The the same old problem came back , no idle. The ballast resister is not being used . Both wires r under one terminal. ( purple from distributor and orange to electric choke. I am under the belief u only need a resister if u use point ignition r a coil with more than 1.2 ohms. The blasters 2 has .07 ohms. Need advice !

catamount
07-01-2013, 09:12 AM
Your air idle bleeds might be clogged. Take some carb cleaner with the straw tip and shoot it down into the bleed openings. Then, after determining how many rotations your air/idle screws are at (by running them in gently), remove them and blast their holes with carb cleaner.

Reassemble and hope for the best. You're either getting too much fuel, or too little air. Are you certain you're running fat, and not lean?

Bluccous
07-01-2013, 11:24 AM
I am sure it is getting to much fuel . I am seeing fuel floating on the water.

Bluccous
07-01-2013, 11:49 AM
Also noticed coil is hot to touch is this normal please reply at lake with kids and boat is not running thanks

catamount
07-01-2013, 12:12 PM
If coil is hot to touch, you need to figure out why. That's not normal. Can be caused by either weak ground or weak positive.

Try hooking a jumper cable from your positive coil to your positive battery.
Try hooking the other jumper cable to your distributor and to your negative battery.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Is your coil getting hot when it won't run well? If so, you may be dealing with an intermittent coil ground issue causing poor spark which is insufficient to burn the fuel in the engine.

Otherwise I would suspect you have some debris getting into your carb and occasionally not allowing either primary or secondary needle and seat to close fully when needed and allowing too much fuel through.

1redTA
07-01-2013, 02:30 PM
also clean your spark arrestor

Bluccous
07-01-2013, 02:47 PM
What is the correct spark plug to run in this boat? What was the factory plug #?

Bluccous
07-01-2013, 02:58 PM
Just ordered a brand new factory replacement holley carburetor. It will b here at 9:00am on the morning. As far as the ground issue goes can I just make up a ground wire and run it from block to negative side of coil? In stead of trying to trace out bad wire/ ground ?

catamount
07-01-2013, 03:53 PM
You do not ground the negative side of the coil. You ground the contact plate in distributor. Still haven't told us if it's EI or not.

Is the distributor hold-down clamp clean and tight?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-01-2013, 03:59 PM
Yes could see gas going in carb. Yes choke is open . Yes have sprayed base of carb and intake. It is running very rich . It has electronic ignition.

You do not ground the negative side of the coil. You ground the contact plate in distributor. Still haven't told us if it's EI or not.

Is the distributor hold-down clamp clean and tight?

Post # 3

Bluccous
07-01-2013, 04:05 PM
It is electronic ignition.

Bluccous
07-01-2013, 04:08 PM
Yes on the distributor cap . It is brand new and clean. The distributor on the other hand does have some corrosion but seem to be getting good spark.

Bluccous
07-04-2013, 09:24 AM
Boat is running great! New carb fixed the problem. Main engine ground was corroded too. Thanks for all the advice!!

catamount
07-04-2013, 10:04 AM
Glad to hear you'll be enjoying the holiday on your S&S! Enjoy!