PDA

View Full Version : X80 exhaust question

X80Andy
06-30-2013, 05:46 PM
Can you put the capt exhaust/open exhaust that's controlled by a switch on an X80 if so who sells the kit? I had corsa on my last boat!

88 PS190
06-30-2013, 07:08 PM
Anything can be done...

But there's a difference between your corsa (stern drive) and your X80.

On most all stern drives the exhaust is routed through a tube into the stern drive, often then exiting around the propeller.

Your X80 has thru hulls under the swimplatform, these are likely completely above water on plane, if you wakeboard/ski behind the boat at short line you should see the covers.

As such - your boat already has an "open" exhaust above the waterline - if you think it is too quiet it is because the boat has mufflers.

Hence if you wanted a captain's call/cut off, you either would need to plumb in additional thru hulls, or plumb in some form of bypass around the mufflers and back to the thru hull.

As opposed to on your stern drive where you would have to put a new thru hull and bypass through that then do not have a muffler.

I would not do it because loud boats piss me off - but you don't live near me.

X80Andy
06-30-2013, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the insight! I couldn't have it loud all the time but it sounds awesome when your taking off :)

Jerseydave
06-30-2013, 09:11 PM
Not sure what you have now, maybe twin silentmaster mufflers? Or just baffles on the exhaust tips? Maybe you could do a combination of the two.

My buddy has a Supreme that was very loud, so he installed the underwater exhaust and now it's real quiet. He just wakesurfs with it so he likes the added benefit of no exhaust fumes.