PDA

View Full Version : Sparks from Starter motor area...??????

Mark rsa2au
06-29-2013, 10:23 PM
In removing the impellar today, I diconnected the safety lanyard and turned over the engine for a second or two to release it. I noticed bright flashes from the starter motor on the first 2 turns, :confused: then it stopped on the next few when I was looking for the origin... It seems to be sparks / arking in that area...

A serious safety issue for me!!! will remove all cables and wire brush and tighten connections today. Any one had this before? hints and tips?

Cheers
Mark

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-29-2013, 10:29 PM
Make sure it's a marine grade starter.

I have seen this before when the bushings are worn and the shaft is basically floating causing the sparks on engagement.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-29-2013, 10:55 PM
You can also get sparks if the battery connection is loose. Be sure to have a marine starter.

Mark rsa2au
06-30-2013, 01:34 AM
You can also get sparks if the battery connection is loose. Be sure to have a marine starter.

Ding Ding Ding, Found loose battery terminals!!!! Starter looks new, and is marine certified.

Actualy also chasing intermittant Guages and one of the causes is a bad earth so I was tracing all earth cabels from the engine back and cleaned / sanded / wire brushed / replaced where necessary. Finally ended up at the battery and while testing for resistance across the cables the terminal moved :confused: :confused: :confused:
Both the earth and Positive terminals were loose and could be pulled off by hand ...F@#$&)*&^%$@$!!!
Replaced connectors to battery and made sure they are tight. With out draining the battery, and overheating the starter, I have tried as much as I dare to, and I see no sparking any where.

Too cold and wet this weekend but will test soon, Hope this fixes it!

Thanks!!!
Mark

thatsmrmastercraft
06-30-2013, 03:11 PM
Ding Ding Ding, Found loose battery terminals!!!! Starter looks new, and is marine certified.

Actualy also chasing intermittant Guages and one of the causes is a bad earth so I was tracing all earth cabels from the engine back and cleaned / sanded / wire brushed / replaced where necessary. Finally ended up at the battery and while testing for resistance across the cables the terminal moved :confused: :confused: :confused:
Both the earth and Positive terminals were loose and could be pulled off by hand ...F@#$&)*&^%$@$!!!
Replaced connectors to battery and made sure they are tight. With out draining the battery, and overheating the starter, I have tried as much as I dare to, and I see no sparking any where.

Too cold and wet this weekend but will test soon, Hope this fixes it!

Thanks!!!
Mark

Sounds like you got it. Good luck with running it.

88 PS190
06-30-2013, 07:05 PM
One thing to double check - on most starters there is a gap between the housing and the cover where the starter drive is connected.

This gap is supposed to be "caulked" when you rebuild - but some folks do not do so.

Otherwise they have to be pretty worn not to be sealed.

Mark rsa2au
07-01-2013, 12:32 AM
One thing to double check - on most starters there is a gap between the housing and the cover where the starter drive is connected.

This gap is supposed to be "caulked" when you rebuild - but some folks do not do so.

Otherwise they have to be pretty worn not to be sealed.

Thanks Mate! I saw that gap, but assumed it was "Normal". I replaced the starter on a mercruiser stern drive and there was no gap so it surprised me to see one on the Indmar.

What is the best way to seal this gap? And will there be any dammage I need to look for seeing as the "New" (stamped 2009 & my boat is a 2001) starter has been left like this for an unknown period?

Cheers
Mark