PDA

View Full Version : 83 S&S with bad motor

Towboatcapt
06-29-2013, 10:28 PM
I'm still on the hunt and came across this 30 mins from my house. Is it really worth $4500?
It need a new motor, owner ran it on the lake for "a while" with no water getting to the engine, I'm assuming the block is cracked.. So a new crate 350 motor for $2000+..
On the up side it's super clean with a nice tandem axel trailer.
I put in an offer.. But it wasn't $4500.

Thoughts?

http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/3901402799.html

JimN
06-29-2013, 11:17 PM
I'm still on the hunt and came across this 30 mins from my house. Is it really worth $4500?
It need a new motor, owner ran it on the lake for "a while" with no water getting to the engine, I'm assuming the block is cracked.. So a new crate 350 motor for $2000+..
On the up side it's super clean with a nice tandem axel trailer.
I put in an offer.. But it wasn't $4500.

Thoughts?

http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/3901402799.html

It won't necessarily crack from running it without water. Usually, it might cook the gaskets, the exhaust hoses/flappers and may score one or more cylinder, damage rings, bearings and/or valves/heads. However, many boats and cars have been run without coolant without needing much work. One of the worst things that could have happened is to run it without water and introducing cool/cold water while it's still very hot. If you can get it cheap, have the engine checked out and magnafluxed to find cracks. If you can assemble an engine yourself, it would be a killer deal.

dummy
06-29-2013, 11:31 PM
If a rebuild scares you and you can spin some wrenches and lay some silicone and gasket sealant one of these would do the trick:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fmm-fo351la/overview/make/ford

Then sell the damaged 351 for a couple hundred bucks.

If it were me I'd yank it apart and have the stock crank machined and rod ends resized if it needed it, have the heads checked (mag'd and new valve guides) go with all new bearings, and stab it back together.

Towboatcapt
06-30-2013, 01:08 AM
What would be a fair offer for the condition of the boat and motor?

AZDave
06-30-2013, 01:18 PM
I have seen several 83-85 boats on the market, fully operable for 7-8k. You have no way to check the transmission or the prop/steering/driveshaft. None of these items are cheap to fix. The odds of getting any kind of a "deal" here are against you. I would try and negotiate a lower price, half up front and the other half if it does indeed operate properly once you get the engine sorted. This is not an unreasonable request.

wtrskr
06-30-2013, 01:22 PM
I'm not sure what the correct answer to that question is. I'd put in a low enough offer such that if you encounter a worst-case scenario, you still come out close to or a little ahead compared to a similar boat with no engine issues. You should get paid for going through the hassle. The way I'd think about it is, if the current owner wants to maximize his $$ when selling, he should fix it, then sell it.

I knew someone who picked up an '88 a couple of years ago for $4k and the only thing it needed was wetsanding/buffing of the gelcoat. I think prices are probably up from then, but using that comparasin, I'd say to offer less than $4k.

Shilohsho
06-30-2013, 04:01 PM
The rest of looks pretty good!

thatsmrmastercraft
06-30-2013, 04:25 PM
How many hours on the boat? That will make a difference in price.

Towboatcapt
06-30-2013, 09:32 PM
It didn't say the hours and I asked before I went to look when i called again another guy was there looking at it, owener said he paid the $4500 and took it home....the hunt continues! Thanks for all the great comments!

thatsmrmastercraft
07-01-2013, 01:17 AM
Keep hunting. It becomes a buyers market after the 4th of July.

tph
07-01-2013, 01:34 AM
It amazes me that an '83 with a questionable motor would go that fast and this boat is still available

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=54820

liledgy
07-01-2013, 07:55 AM
Composite hull vs wooden stringers?

Towboatcapt
07-01-2013, 12:36 PM

Good advice thanks!

mzimme
07-01-2013, 01:10 PM

I don't think that's necessarily true. The only time a market becomes a buyers market is when the seller NEEDS to get rid of the boat. For example, I have a place to keep my 83, and while I've not used it once this year, I'm in no hurry to sell. I'll wait til I get what I want for it, even if that's next year.

As for that boat, I'm surprised it fetched more than $2500.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-01-2013, 02:31 PM
I don't think that's necessarily true. The only time a market becomes a buyers market is when the seller NEEDS to get rid of the boat. For example, I have a place to keep my 83, and while I've not used it once this year, I'm in no hurry to sell. I'll wait til I get what I want for it, even if that's next year.

As for that boat, I'm surprised it fetched more than $2500.

Imagine that..........you being the exception to the rule. :rolleyes:

TxsRiverRat
07-01-2013, 03:35 PM
That is not a stock 83 motor box on that boat...

stars83stripes
07-01-2013, 06:21 PM
I paid $4k for a fully operational '83 just three years ago. Keep looking.

madcityskier
07-01-2013, 09:59 PM
Composite hull vs wooden stringers?

Wooden stringers that need work no less.

tph
07-01-2013, 11:42 PM
Wooden stringers that need work no less.

I somehow missed that. Does make a difference.

mzimme
07-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Imagine that..........you being the exception to the rule. :rolleyes:

Haha... not an exception to the rule, I just dont think the rule exists! ;)

madcityskier
07-02-2013, 11:32 PM
I usually see prices a bit lower late in the season. The fact that the family got another year of use, and not wanting to have to pay to winterize and store it another year (or winterize it and have it taking up space in the garage) can cause people to reexamine their asking price if they really need to move the boat. Zimmer, I can figure out why no one has grabbed yours yet. I recommended it to a couple people who "are looking", but they seem to like looking as opposed to buying. How do you ski behind a boat you've looked at?