PDA

View Full Version : 88 PS190 replacement timing covers??

XavierSPL
06-28-2013, 06:33 PM
So I'm about a week away from swapping my engine out and was going to look into finding a replacement timing cover and balancer instead of going through the hassle of pulling the original one off, cleaning and re-using. I cannot find the same one anywhere.. It has (what appears to be) the part # D9JE-6059-AA.

I'm at a loss here and was originally thinking it would just be some re-appropriated car/truck part bought from ford but that doesn't seem to be the case. So my question is, does anyone know of a cross reference part I can use? I've gone through custom ford sites where they've got reference lists of tons of these but they all visually look different than mine. Is there a chance that one of these that doesn't look identical would still in fact work??
http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu178/xavierspl/boat/timing.jpg (http://s645.photobucket.com/user/xavierspl/media/boat/timing.jpg.html)

Bouyhead
06-28-2013, 10:33 PM
A replacement timing cover and harmonic balancer aren't cheap. Spring for the puller to remove the harmonic balancer, remove the timing cover, balancer, clean both and reinstall. You'll save some serious cheddar.

Razzys Wagon
06-28-2013, 11:02 PM
A replacement timing cover and harmonic balancer aren't cheap. Spring for the puller to remove the harmonic balancer, remove the timing cover, balancer, clean both and reinstall. You'll save some serious cheddar.

^^^x2

it looks to be cast iron, from the pic anyway, I haven't looked at mine yet, with the "j" in the casting number it is an industrial engine timing cover, and from the pic you posted it looks like it is used for supporting the front of the engine, so I would remove, clean and re-install. I have been building ford engines for years and never seen a cover like our engines have on them. so finding one quickly I think is a negative sir. plus, you know your cover is good, but dirty, if you get a used one you wont know if it is flat and true.

catamount
06-28-2013, 11:08 PM

+1. Your balancer looks to be in nice shape, so I'd pull it and clean it!

XavierSPL
06-29-2013, 01:10 PM
+1. Your balancer looks to be in nice shape, so I'd pull it and clean it!

Nuff said.. I've been very lucky compared to others doing restores so far, everything seems to be very clean and so far come apart easily. I'll give it a go when I get cracking next week..