PDA

View Full Version : Ugly Transmission Noise

j.robinson389
06-27-2013, 11:08 PM
I will be honest upfront here, this is not on a MasterCraft boat, but let's face it this is the best forum going for the "big three" so I am going to post my question here first.

The boat is a '93 with a Merc 350 and with a 1:1 Velvet drive. 236 hrs. This is the first time we have dewinterized he bat as it is only our second season owning it.

My problem:

Boat is on trailer in driveway. After hooking all the hoses back up and tightening the hose clamps we fired her up, I let it run thru about 60 gallons of water then I thought I would just quickly engage it into reverse, I know not to run it in gear out of water but I was planning only a few seconds at idle just to make sure all was good. It wasn't, as soon as I engaged into reverse it started to make an awful noise, I immediately killed the engine. So I went behind the boat and spun the prop by hand while in neutral then while in reverse and forward, all seemed smooth! So I fire it back up I and try again same thing happens again. So at this point I have only heard the noise for 2 split seconds, so it is hard to explain, but I know something seems wrong. I did not try to engage forward so I don't know what that will do. Any ideas what has happened, it was running as smooth as silk when it got put away last fall. Could a faulty winterization cause this?

Thanks for the help,
-Jake

Jerseydave
06-27-2013, 11:29 PM
Your strut bushing relies on water around it to lubricate it. Don't run it in gear on the trailer.

Launch your 'BU, I mean inboard boat, you should be fine. :)

88 PS190
06-28-2013, 12:10 AM
Or just spray it with the hose a bit before you put it in gear.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-28-2013, 12:34 AM
To ease your mind about the noise, hit the boat launch when it isn't busy and back the boat in deep enough to start it but leave it secured to the trailer. Fire it up and all should be good. A little lubrication goes a long way.

CantRepeat
06-28-2013, 06:11 AM
To ease your mind about the noise, hit the boat launch when it isn't busy and back the boat in deep enough to start it but leave it secured to the trailer. Fire it up and all should be good. A little lubrication goes a long way.

I see what you did there!!

OP, never engage the transmission with the boat out of the water. Even if it's for 2 very long seconds.

PureInboards
06-28-2013, 07:03 AM
Horrible screeching noise when in gear??? Will be the cutless bearing on the shaft running dry will be even worse after a couple of months in the shed as it is completely dry, go put it in some water and it should be all good and don't worry as you won't have damaged it. Also you may find that the packing around the shaft will leak for a while to due to it being dry so let it leak for 20min or so before you adjust the nut as it will be completely dry as well (just make sure the bilge pump is all good first).

j.robinson389
06-28-2013, 11:29 AM
Ok, so I should chalk it up to a Rookie Mistake?

Hopefully no damage was done, the lake is about 30 miles away, but I will head over and see if all seems well. I don't want to drive 300 miles to Dale Hollow, just to find I have problems.

-Jake

thatsmrmastercraft
06-28-2013, 11:40 AM
A very common rookie mistake. This comes up here relatively often. The 30 minute run will make dragging it to Dale Hollow a more enjoyable ride knowing that all is OK.

If you have a neighbor with a swimming pool that is accessible you could always give it a whirl there. :rolleyes:

mikeg205
06-28-2013, 12:30 PM
+1 - you need a steady stream of water on cutlass bearing... you can get mineral deposit on bearing material. You can pour a little CLR on the bearing - the acid only likes minerals so it won't eat bearing... I did mine 2 years ago and then I spray some 303 on the rubber bearing to keep it soft.. mine is the old neoprene material not the new. to run on land - some one needs to shoo water in to strut via hose via nozzle... from a few feet away. But I would never take it past idle speed on land... IMO