PDA

View Full Version : Smoke from unknown location when wakesurfing...

kdale1
06-27-2013, 01:40 PM
Hey fellas - so I was out wakesurfing the other day.. here's the setup

2009 X14
7 people in the boat
Stock ballast (~800lbs full)
2 x 750lb fat sacks on aft/port seat and floor filled ~75% (~1,000-1100lbs)
1 x 1,000 lb fat sack in the open bow ~50% full (~500lbs)

Total ballast weight ~ 2,100 lbs + 7 passengers

Everything was going great and we were surfing for about 30-45 min straight. Speed was about 10-11mph @ ~3,000 RPM throwing nice surf wakes

Then my friend said he smelt like something was burning so we stopped and opened the engine hatch and saw some light smoke that eventually went away. We couldn't tell where it was coming from and all the gauges checked out normal (oil pressure, coolant temp, ect.) I checked the trans oil and engine oil and they were clean and full. We emptied the ballast and drove back to the dock with zero issues at normal cruising speeds (gradually increasing RPM/speed and checking for abnormal conditions). I have taken it out twice since then (using only stock ballast) and the boat functions 100% normal.

My question is - what do you guys think the smoke came from and should I be worried about anything? The boat was obviously overloaded based on the maximum capacities rating (1,525 lbs) but from what I've heard/read this is normal when weighting a boat for surfing without the new fancy surftabs. Just wanted to see what your inputs were before I attempted to wakesurf again - Thanks!

gweaver
06-27-2013, 01:49 PM
When's the last time you changed oil? Is it possible you spilled some on a manifold or the block, somewhere it gets hot when running? I've had that happen many times on my motorcycle- spill a couple of drops, they drip on the exhaust manifold, smokes for a bit when I first start it up after the oil change, then problem goes away.

Can you recreate the same conditions? 7 people, ballast tanks filled as you described? Does the smoke reappear? Maybe you can run the boat with the engine cover open, see if you can see where the smoke is coming from? My guess is you were burning off spilled engine fluids of some kind.

G

mikeg205
06-27-2013, 02:23 PM
temp guage look ok when smell occurred?

thatsmrmastercraft
06-27-2013, 02:39 PM
As long as your fluid levels were OK and your gauges were withing normal range, I would suspect a valve cover leak onto the side of the block as being the most likely source.

kdale1
06-27-2013, 03:52 PM
temp guage look ok when smell occurred?

That's right - temp stayed at 160F which is normal for this time of year (water temp, ect.)

kdale1
06-27-2013, 03:55 PM
When's the last time you changed oil? Is it possible you spilled some on a manifold or the block, somewhere it gets hot when running? I've had that happen many times on my motorcycle- spill a couple of drops, they drip on the exhaust manifold, smokes for a bit when I first start it up after the oil change, then problem goes away.

Can you recreate the same conditions? 7 people, ballast tanks filled as you described? Does the smoke reappear? Maybe you can run the boat with the engine cover open, see if you can see where the smoke is coming from? My guess is you were burning off spilled engine fluids of some kind.

G

Changed engine and trans oil during winterization and actually changing the engine oil again now since I've put 50 hours on it this season so far. I could recreate the same conditions on a weekend but during the week i just go with 3 people typically and we only wakeboard. Wakesurfing seems to be a lot more fun for the whole crowd

Jerseydave
06-27-2013, 09:33 PM
A couple possibilities:

Fatsac in rear locker is pushing the divider board into the exhaust manifold and melting the divider board?

Engine is tilting so much that oil is leaking from a breather or PCV valve?
As someone stated before, check and make sure the valve cover gasket is not leaking on the port side.

JimN
06-27-2013, 09:36 PM
Hey fellas - so I was out wakesurfing the other day.. here's the setup

2009 X14
7 people in the boat
Stock ballast (~800lbs full)
2 x 750lb fat sacks on aft/port seat and floor filled ~75% (~1,000-1100lbs)
1 x 1,000 lb fat sack in the open bow ~50% full (~500lbs)

Total ballast weight ~ 2,100 lbs + 7 passengers

Everything was going great and we were surfing for about 30-45 min straight. Speed was about 10-11mph @ ~3,000 RPM throwing nice surf wakes

Then my friend said he smelt like something was burning so we stopped and opened the engine hatch and saw some light smoke that eventually went away. We couldn't tell where it was coming from and all the gauges checked out normal (oil pressure, coolant temp, ect.) I checked the trans oil and engine oil and they were clean and full. We emptied the ballast and drove back to the dock with zero issues at normal cruising speeds (gradually increasing RPM/speed and checking for abnormal conditions). I have taken it out twice since then (using only stock ballast) and the boat functions 100% normal.

My question is - what do you guys think the smoke came from and should I be worried about anything? The boat was obviously overloaded based on the maximum capacities rating (1,525 lbs) but from what I've heard/read this is normal when weighting a boat for surfing without the new fancy surftabs. Just wanted to see what your inputs were before I attempted to wakesurf again - Thanks!

Did it smell like oil, exhaust, plastic? We couldn't possibly tell what was burning without knowing what kind of smell it was.

kdale1
06-28-2013, 09:22 AM
Did it smell like oil, exhaust, plastic? We couldn't possibly tell what was burning without knowing what kind of smell it was.

Kind of smelled like plastic burning - possibly a hint of oil but mostly plastic.

JimN
06-28-2013, 09:46 AM
Kind of smelled like plastic burning - possibly a hint of oil but mostly plastic.

Look at the engine side of the panels next to the engine. I think Jerseydave is right about the sacs pressing on them and forcing them onto the exhaust manifolds.