PDA

View Full Version : Looking at used HO skis - don't know much though

RacerX
06-27-2013, 11:01 AM
I'm looking at a couple different used HO skis primarily for myself. I'm 6', 190lbs. I've skied in the past - many moons ago - when I was in high school/college and used an HO Mach 1 or something, I don't recall, it was ~20 years ago. Anyway, I'm just getting back into it this year so I wanted to pick up a used ski before shelling out for a new ski.

I'm looking at 2 different HO skis and I can't seem to find much info on them. Partly because the sellers don't seem to know much about what they're selling. I've attached a couple pics, any help on what level skis these are, opinions, etc would be much appreciated. I'm happy to answer any other questions about myself as well.

The first one is older at least I base that on the HO logo. It does not have the rear fin wing but I have one I could install. It's 67" length.

http://images.craigslist.org/3ra3N93H25E55s15Mcd6p434ad596ebe4195e.jpg

This one looks newer but I don't know the length (seller said ~5.5', ha ha), it does have the wing on the rear fin but doesn't look like the fin is adjustable, only the wing.

http://images.craigslist.org/3r63qc3Ne5Ia5M75tdd6m76b6d85105491884.jpg

As I said, I'm looking for something I can use this year and maybe next year before getting to the point of investing in a new ski. First ski can be had for $140, second, not sure but probably $120max, possibly $100.

Thanks much.

Jack

mikeg205
06-27-2013, 11:48 AM
67" might be a little rough getting up. I am 6' 190 as well - I ski 69" on a 2010 Ho Triumph and a 2012 Coefficient XL/s.

The Burner is more forgiving...the VTX is a nice ski though... what happened to the fin?

RacerX
06-27-2013, 11:51 AM
Not sure what happened to the fin, but in the pic they sent it's not there. I'm talking about the little stabilizer wing, the fin is there and looks just fine. Almost looks like the wing was never there to begin with.

Any idea what year these skis are? I found the link to ski-it-again and it looks like mid 90's for the VTX and early 2000's for the Burner.

Thanks for input!

Jack

snork
06-27-2013, 12:10 PM
I have the HO VTX w/dbl 97 boots and slalom ski bag I'd like to sell I haven't used it for several years

JMLVMI
06-27-2013, 12:12 PM
From what I've heard and read around here, that "stabilizer wing" doesn't really make a difference until the speeds get high and the line lengths get short. Don't let that sway your purchase :)

Also, if you're in the market for an HO ski, check out Wiley's. They usually have blemished skis (graphics issues, no structural problems) for the current model year at a substantial discount. https://www.wileyski.com/shopcategory.asp?catID=26

RacerX
06-27-2013, 12:14 PM
From what I've heard and read around here, that "stabilizer wing" doesn't really make a difference until the speeds get high and the line lengths get short. Don't let that sway your purchase :)

Sure, understood....and I highly doubt this season will see me complaining about the lack of a stabilize wing. ; ) Plus I have one I can install on pretty much any ski. I was more interested to know about one compared to the other given obvious age differences.

Thanks!

Jack

RacerX
06-27-2013, 12:14 PM
I have the HO VTX w/dbl 97 boots and slalom ski bag I'd like to sell I haven't used it for several years

Pics, details? I'm located in MI.

Jack

SP Maristar
06-27-2013, 12:20 PM
I was in the same situation last year. 5'11" 195 with similar skiing past. Bought two ebay skis. One obrien double boot 67" of roughly 1990 vintage (I think) and one Conelly F44 Craze from back in the day. The obrien is a struggle to get up on and is narrow so probably a bit much for me. The F44 is fun and easy. I think a 69 might be where i head next. I'm not sure I am ready to go with a big fat ski yet.

RacerX
06-27-2013, 12:29 PM
How can I get the seller of the second ski to confirm the length of the ski? Is it printed somewhere on it or is there a method to measuring it?

Thanks.

Jack

RacerX
06-27-2013, 12:36 PM

Also, if you're in the market for an HO ski, check out Wiley's. They usually have blemished skis (graphics issues, no structural problems) for the current model year at a substantial discount. https://www.wileyski.com/shopcategory.asp?catID=26

At the risk of information overload, what are people's preferences to skis? I looked at HO initially because that's what I skied way back when. I also looked at Obrien and Connelly (I'm currently shopping craigslist) but there wasn't much listed for those 2. I don't even recognize the brands Radar and Goode.

I previously always skied high wrap front with toe plate rear but seems double high wraps are pretty popular now. Change in thought on this, am I old school, perhaps I'm just uneducated.

And thanks for that link, interesting stuff there that is making me rethink this......

Jack

mikeg205
06-27-2013, 01:29 PM
I like HO - but I see everyone ski on every brand... unless your competing I believe its more about the type of ski.

mikeg205
06-27-2013, 01:31 PM
How can I get the seller of the second ski to confirm the length of the ski? Is it printed somewhere on it or is there a method to measuring it?

Thanks.

Jack

Should be on the ski - sometimes at tip on bottom... btw Racerx...you need to make this your avatar

bturner2
06-27-2013, 01:32 PM
I'm 6'1" and 210 - 215 and ski a 69" Radar Senate. I just sold a Connelly Concept with double high wraps. It was a good ski but a bit short from my size/weight. Fist thing I notice going up a size was that the ski was just overall easier to ride.

As far as brands go it's tough to go wrong with any of the majors these days. Radar, Connelly, HO, O'Brien all have a full line up of good skis. Based on your skill level try not to go for a tournament level ski as it will probably be a bit twitchy for your skill level and not so good for open water recreational skiing. I've bought and sold used gear on skier to skier and would recommend them as a good place to buy and sell from.

As far as bindings go..... It's going to pretty much be a personal preference. I found running double wraps more challenging on starts (as in many non starts). Based on your size/skill level I would expect the same for you. They will however also provide the most control.

RacerX
06-27-2013, 01:38 PM
Another question.....are all HO bindings compatible with all HO skis? I mean generally speaking of course. Reason I ask, looking at a pair of HO Attack bindings and might consider putting them on a 2011 Mach 1 if they were to fit. I'm thinking the skis have the same bolt hole patterns for the most part but wondering if there are any date range or type cut offs.

Thanks.

Jack

RacerX
06-27-2013, 01:41 PM
I'm 6'1" and 210 - 215 and ski a 69" Radar Senate. I just sold a Connelly Concept with double high wraps. It was a good ski but a bit short from my size/weight. Fist thing I notice going up a size was that the ski was just overall easier to ride.

As far as brands go it's tough to go wrong with any of the majors these days. Radar, Connelly, HO, O'Brien all have a full line up of good skis. Based on your skill level try not to go for a tournament level ski as it will probably be a bit twitchy for your skill level and not so good for open water recreational skiing. I've bought and sold used gear on skier to skier and would recommend them as a good place to buy and sell from.

As far as bindings go..... It's going to pretty much be a personal preference. I found running double wraps more challenging on starts (as in many non starts). Based on your size/skill level I would expect the same for you. They will however also provide the most control.

Ok, so not so totally different from 20 years ago, just newer, better equipment. Agreed, I don't need a tournament ski, something decent will be just dandy. I have skied double high wraps before and definitely prefer that so I'll keep my options open til I'm ready to buy.

Thanks for the tip on skier to skier, will check that out.

Cheers.

Jack

mwg
06-27-2013, 01:47 PM
Also check http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=home and the closeout section of Performance Ski & Surf.. you can find some great deals.

mikeg205
06-27-2013, 01:49 PM
Another question.....are all HO bindings compatible with all HO skis? I mean generally speaking of course. Reason I ask, looking at a pair of HO Attack bindings and might consider putting them on a 2011 Mach 1 if they were to fit. I'm thinking the skis have the same bolt hole patterns for the most part but wondering if there are any date range or type cut offs.

Thanks.

Jack

Yes - especially on a 2011 Mach 1

JMLVMI
06-27-2013, 02:26 PM
Most bindings work (or can be made to work) on most skis. I've got an HO Triumph 70", I'm 6'2", 235 so I need something that can handle my size :cool:, and I run Wiley High Wraps. I came from a toe plate, and I found my ankle was twisting all over the place. Could be bad ski form, but I really prefer two boots.

RacerX
06-27-2013, 02:56 PM
Sorry, not Attack bindings but rather Approach. They are 2006 model year.

Jack

mikeg205
06-27-2013, 02:59 PM
I believe anything after 2001 will work - call them - they are very eager to help and respond on Facebook even..

coz
06-27-2013, 08:20 PM
is there a method to measuring it?

Thanks.

Jack

Yes there is :D
http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/tape-measure-1.jpg

I have a HO Burner that's a 67", it's a wide body ski and very forgiving, it's in the boat as the free for all ski. I personally have/ski the Mach 1 and love it :headbang:

bturner2
06-28-2013, 06:21 AM

Correction on my site recommendation...... It was ski it again for used gear. Skier to Skier is for props, Perfect Pass, and course gear. Sorry.

No Skeez
06-28-2013, 07:57 AM
The HO Burner is a 67" ski, originally rated by HO for 160 - 200 lbs. It was part of their Competition Freeride series, and was accompanied by the 65" Venture, 69" Charger, and 71" Magnum. It is a great ski if you are a 26 - 32 mph skier, though I've got a few friends that have run it through the slalom course at -15 32 as well. The flex is rather soft, meaning very forgiving but also a bit slow in its response times. If you are looking for something reasonably priced to help shake off the cobwebs, I would have a hard time recommending something better.

I do urge you to try the Approach boots if at all possible prior to purchasing. They have a very different stance to them in comparison to other boots; much more knees-forward. I had a ski a few years back that I sold to a friend, and they are really a personal preference item.

The stabilizer wing is nothing more than a brake for your ski, as alluded to earlier. If you aren't skiing a slalom course at 34+ mph at -22 or -28 or deeper, you shouldn't 'need' to have the brake on anyways. You can adjust the angle of the brake so as you shift your weight forward on the ski going into your pre-turn, the ski slows to maintain a tight tow line. Don't let the lack of this brake affect your decision at this time.

Brand-wise, I am partial to HO and now Radar. At the risk of getting into a history lesson, we all know the O'Brien name, started by Herb O'Brien. When Herb walked away from O'Brien, he started using his initials (HO). When Herb walked away from HO, he started using the name of his ski lake, Radar. Obviously some good blood-lines in all three companies.

If I could offer two other skis to look for, that would most likely fall within your price range, they would be the HO Triumph and the Radar P6.

Hope the above helps, good luck with the search!

RacerX
06-28-2013, 09:12 AM
This forum sure is helpful, thanks very much for all the input! I think I'm going to look at snagging that Burner for this summer and next year I'll invest in something newer.

I really appreciate it!

Cheers.

Jack - brought home the boat last night!
'85 S&S

RacerX
06-28-2013, 09:13 AM
Correction on my site recommendation...... It was ski it again for used gear. Skier to Skier is for props, Perfect Pass, and course gear. Sorry.

No worries, gotcha.

Jack

coz
06-28-2013, 08:45 PM
This forum sure is helpful, thanks very much for all the input! I think I'm going to look at snagging that Burner for this summer and next year I'll invest in something newer.

I really appreciate it!

Cheers.

Jack - brought home the boat last night!
'85 S&S

You wont regret that choice, it's a fun ski everyone can ride. Nice little history lesson from No Skeez, wonder how that BU's working for him? :D I go both ways so I'm guessing very well :headbang: