PDA

View Full Version : My other non MasterCraft hobby, Jag XKE

NWMike
06-27-2013, 01:53 AM
Acquired this '69 Jag XKE in 2004 from an old customer of mine back in the day when I used to restore old cars (1989). Returned the car to him after painting it, with the bonnet and engine/trans removed. I crossed paths with him again in 2002 and asked him about the car and he said it was still sitting where I left it in 1990, under a cover. Told him I would buy it if he ever wanted to sell. And I did in '04. First pic is how I found it. Car was pretty much in boxes.

Once home, my associate (daughter) and I started taking it apart even further. Painted the engine compartment and installed the engine which had been rebuilt and sitting in a crate. Same with the trans. Many trips to the metal platers and it's slowly coming together. Installed a big bore stainless header and early style Series I exhaust, all polished. Updated to a Delco 105 amp alternator and rebuilt the carbs. I started it in early Spring last year just to hear it for a few seconds and it sounds like a Ferrari. Sweet music.

I now have the complete rear drivetrain out to rebuild and restore and hope to have it rolling by the end of summer, possibly under it's own power this Fall. Still much to do but it has been a fun journey. I am building it to show and drive.

Aric'sX15
06-27-2013, 03:32 AM
Saw a few of these at concour de elegance in orange county. gorgeous car!!!!

onewheat
06-27-2013, 03:35 AM
NICE! I have always loved XKE's. They are just cool cars and gorgeous too.

timvan
06-27-2013, 07:02 AM
Dad had the same car when I was a kid...same color.. v12.

I think he said that he paid less than $3k for it back when it was new

Duane D
06-27-2013, 08:26 AM
Beautiful car Mike! Can't wait to see more pics of it coming together.

scott023
06-27-2013, 09:19 AM
This is going to be an awesome thread. Beautiful car.

mikeg205
06-27-2013, 09:32 AM
very nice - you;ll treasure the oic of your daughter - they grow up so fast... - great project and story,