PDA

View Full Version : How to reach rear ballast?

morphis
06-25-2013, 03:39 PM
Hi All,

I have a 2005 X2 and one of my rear ballast pumps is having issues. I got a new impeller to try first but I have a sneaking suspicion the pump just given up the ghost. My issue is that I can't figure out how to get the carpeted panel out of my way. I unbolted and removed the black plastic wall that separates the the compartment with the tank in it from the engine bay. Then I pulled the three screws holding in the panel that is ultimately covering the pump. I was able to slide it left and right but just couldn't figure out a way to twist, pull, bend, whatever, to get it out. I have dug around on line and found a couple of 'how to...' guides but none of them are my model year. In one it looks like there is a way to drop the floor of the compartment but I am not seeing how to do that on mine. Can anyone give me some guidance?

Thanks!

Grant777
06-25-2013, 03:59 PM
Hang on. The pump is attached to the rear wall of the engine bay. Not in the hard tank. That's the sensor for the VDIG (I refer to my '08 but assume they are similar). Face the stern and look at the locker. There are two screws holding a small panel in place and one more at the bottom. Remove those, pull it off and there you will find the pump. Good luck.

morphis
06-25-2013, 04:25 PM
pretty sure we are talking about the same thing. I can feel the pump behind the panel but I can't get the panel far enough out of my way. There is one on either side of the stern directly behind the panel at the back. The ballast tank would be on my right, the black plastic panel that seperates the engine from the compartment to my left. Three screws come out of the panel covering the pump but I just can't get the panel out of the way. it's really jammed up in there. I can slide the panel left or right a few inches but can't pull it out.

WC205
06-25-2013, 05:35 PM
That is exactly where it is at. I've removed the hard tanks awhile back but I seem to remember you have to push the bottom all the way to the back of the boat. Then you can just pull the top up and out. I do remember it being a pain though.

If the hard tank gets in the way with that method, those are really easy to unhook. Just a few screws holding it in.

morphis
06-25-2013, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the tip!

Grant777
06-25-2013, 05:45 PM
Pull.

morphis
06-25-2013, 05:47 PM
That is exactly where it is at. I've removed the hard tanks awhile back but I seem to remember you have to push the bottom all the way to the back of the boat. Then you can just pull the top up and out. I do remember it being a pain though.

If the hard tank gets in the way with that method, those are really easy to unhook. Just a few screws holding it in.

So, there is no pushing the bottom back because the block it screws into is in the way. I will try moving the tank as suggested.

treiter
06-25-2013, 07:13 PM
It will come out without moving the tank. It just takes so messing around. I just did one on a 06 X2. PIA no doubt.

wheelerd
06-26-2013, 02:12 AM
I just removed both of mine a couple weeks ago to replace the impellers. If you're sure all the screws are out -- some heads can get buried in the carpeting -- then just pull! (My starboard rear panel also has the shower hookup.

WC205
06-29-2013, 09:31 AM
Yup. Sorry. I was so so very wrong in my post. I had to replace an impeller last night and realized that.

Just pull and shimmy until you got it. Sorry for the bad advice.