PDA

View Full Version : 2001 x30 bogs down then dies

racrowe
06-24-2013, 11:38 PM
hello, i have a 2001 mastercraft x30 with the LTR 330 motor and i am having problems with it.
sometimes it will start and sometimes it won't. we took it to the shop and they told me it was a lose battery connection. then i got it back the other day and put it in the water and decided to surf behind it. then while we were surfing the same problem came back. what happened is the boat bogged down twice and then it just completely died. i have already bought a new fuel pump and installed it, but that didnt solve it. then i checked the fuel pump fuses and they are not blown. then i replaced the fuel pump relay and that also wasnt the problem. i have no idea what the problem can be. i am thinking it could be the wiring of the kill switch so i am going to take look at that soon. any other ideas? has anyone else had this problem? any help is greatly appreciated!!

mtajpa
06-24-2013, 11:45 PM
Check the connector right at the fuel pump the pins get loose. Wiggle it and see if you can hear the pump run when you are trying to start it. At key on you should hear it prime for a few seconds. Kill switch is next thing they get weak also. Simply jumper the 2 wires together at the kill switch. Or even try holding it in place.

racrowe
06-24-2013, 11:48 PM
also i thought i would add that after it died whenever i try to start it i will turn the motor but it wont fire.

racrowe
06-25-2013, 11:43 AM
so i just bypassed the kill switch in the boat and that is not the problem. i have no idea what it can be now. i checked the fuel pressure by depressing on the fuel pressure hook up and no fuel squirted out. i am thinking that the fuel pump that i just bought and installed is bad. what are your thoughts?

Agent X9
06-25-2013, 03:34 PM
This sounds something like my problem. I have a 2001 X-9 with the 330 LTR NorthStar engine. The last two outings the engine has failed to restart after our initial 10-15 minute run to spot the area for logs etc. The engine started fine at first (when cold) then would not re-start after skiier was in the water. The 2nd time we stopped at the dock first and shut it off to "test" it. Started ok, so we pulled a few yards out. By the time skiier was ready it would not start. Any thoughts??

mtajpa
06-25-2013, 09:56 PM
so i just bypassed the kill switch in the boat and that is not the problem. i have no idea what it can be now. i checked the fuel pressure by depressing on the fuel pressure hook up and no fuel squirted out. i am thinking that the fuel pump that i just bought and installed is bad. what are your thoughts?

Are you getting voltage to the connector at the pump? Read the voltage at the two wires at the pump connector not to neg of battery.

Should only be there for a few seconds when you turn the key on.

Should have voltage to the pump while cranking.

If not check the 3 fuses by the ECM.

If you have voltage and no fuel pressure the pump my be bad. But if its new I would suoect a bad connection as previously stated.

Check the pump by jumpering Positive and negative directly to the pump if it doesn't run pump is probably bad.

Attached is a drawing of the circuits and troubleshooting guide.

Hope it helps.

JimN
06-25-2013, 09:59 PM
For the 10000th time, if an engine has performance problems, CHECK THE FUEL PRESSURE WITH A FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

The plug to the pump may have melted because some had terminals that weren't making good contact. Check that first. If the plug and connector on the pump have melted, you'll probably need to replace the pump, but it won't have this problem in the future.