PDA

View Full Version : 91 Prostar, Salty DOG!

steepndeep
06-24-2013, 08:12 PM
Aloha everyone! To start, thank you everyone for all of the awesome info/links/pictures and encouragement from everyone on this site. The project that has presented itself to me will need plenty of all of these...
This boat has not been purchased yet, but I am thinking it could be a fun and rewarding project. I would really like some second opinions from the guys here that know their stuff about bringing something like this back from the dead. I am not afraid of hard work and am very resourceful and have read every thread on here about restoring projects so I have an idea of what goes into something like this. This thing is the worst looking of any ive seen, but there is not a lot of selection here in Hawaii as far as great ski/wakeboard boats, and if there is something in decent shape they want a small fortune for it (everything needs to be brought over by container ship being we are 2300 miles away from the nearest land).
So the boat has been sitting like this for two years, half under a roof so you can imagine the water thats drained off into it, the owner now doesnt seem like he knows much about its history, in fact I dont think he has even seen the boat in a long time because when we spoke on the phone he said all it needs is a new engine, you can see by the pictures that is not the case.. We have not met yet only by phone and he told me where I could go to look at it and see if its something id be interested in. Hes asking 2200 as is where is with no trailer. I was excited until I dug into her a little bit, who knows what else is wrong with it if I do decide to really tear into it.

steepndeep
06-24-2013, 08:16 PM
So whatta ya think boys, does she deserve a second chance? If so, what is a fair price to offer without insulting the guy, it is after all, a Mastercraft:D I was thinking no more than $1000.

steepndeep
06-24-2013, 08:21 PM
Everyone here loves to see pics including myself, but these you might not want to see....

Aric'sX15
06-24-2013, 08:27 PM
Yikes! that needs help! not sure if it is worth 2200. but would be awesome to see her brought back to life!

thatsmrmastercraft
06-24-2013, 08:37 PM
Given the fact that it is in Hawaii it will be worth more than here on the mainland. If you can work down on that price some, it could be workable as long as your intention is to make it a serviceable ski boat and not a concurs restoration. It appears as though everything that moves will be need to be replaced. I would think that a used marinized engine could be obtained locally. You would need to be capable of handling the majority of work yourself. It would be an interesting project.

Cloaked
06-24-2013, 08:57 PM
$500 and you get a free meal with the purchase.... $2200 is in his dreams....

Personally, I'd ask him to pay me $1000 to take it off his hands. I like to see restorations as well as the next guy but that is a money pit of a rebuild. You'll come out better buying a decent used boat for $8K or less, have it shipped to you, and still come out ahead, unless you like the work for pleasure. Lots of costly work there.

Any fresh water lakes over there?

$0.02

Sodar
06-24-2013, 08:59 PM
Honestly... look for a $8-9k skiboat in California and have Matson ship it over. You will be money ahead.

$1000 buy-in
$2500 motor (depending on current condition)
$1500 transmission (depending on current condition)
$2000 interior (depending on complexity of replacement)
$3000 trailer (probably need to be shipped over or you could find something over there and retrofit)
$1000 misc.

These are all mainland prices. I don't even know what the price or quality of these services would be over there, but the quality at those prices over on the mainland would be marginal at best.

BrianM
06-24-2013, 09:10 PM
$500 and you get a free meal with the purchase.... $2200 is in his dreams....

Personally, I'd ask him to pay me $1000 to take it off his hands. I like to see restorations as well as the next guy but that is a money pit of a rebuild. You'll come out better buying a decent used boat for $8K or less, have it shipped to you, and still come out ahead, unless you like the work for pleasure. Lots of costly work there.

Any fresh water lakes over there?

$0.02

Honestly... look for a $8-9k skiboat in California and have Matson ship it over. You will be money ahead.

$1000 buy-in
$2500 motor (depending on current condition)
$1500 transmission (depending on current condition)
$2000 interior (depending on complexity of replacement)
$3000 trailer (probably need to be shipped over or you could find something over there and retrofit)
$1000 misc.

These are all mainland prices. I don't even know what the price or quality of these services would be over there, but the quality at those prices over on the mainland would be marginal at best.
Sodar and Cloaked are on the money here. I'd move on.

aquaman
06-24-2013, 09:59 PM
Inboards were not designed for salt water....they fail, or they fail big.

That poor boat failed big.

Here is the perfect solution for a salt water tow boat.

Outboards enjoy salt water. :)

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1993-Mastercraft-BareFoot-200-350281

ricford
06-24-2013, 10:01 PM
Wow, that's an ambitious project. The good news is the gas tank looks good. Everything else will have to go.

Daubrey
06-24-2013, 10:38 PM

Outboards enjoy salt water.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...oot-200-350281

Showing my lack of knowledge here, but what was the reasoning behind a true outboard Mastercraft?

Shilohsho
06-24-2013, 10:41 PM
Please don't buy that boat for any amount of money! Your time is worth way too much. A bad engine is one thing but everything on this boat is toast. Even the gauges are shot. You will have so much sweat and tears in this thing that you wouldn't want to stop anywhere short of perfection and that would cost soooooo much.

coz
06-24-2013, 10:53 PM
I say if you have the time, money and drive go for it if he wants very little to nothing on cost. Nice color on the prop and rudder, matches the stripe in my boat :headbang:

46Chief
06-25-2013, 12:45 AM
Now thats a beat boat. I thought the costa rica xstar was hammered. 500 bucks, max.

That is if you are resourceful enough to find every piece of hardware that boat needs, I doubt if there is anything left.

Keep us posted I'd like to see another restore thread here.

Jerseydave
06-25-2013, 04:48 AM

Outboards enjoy salt water.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...oot-200-350281

Showing my lack of knowledge here, but what was the reasoning behind a true outboard Mastercraft?

MC made outboards for pulling barefooters. More speed, better wake for wake crossings. They also used them a lot back in the day for jumping at tournaments.

steepndeep
06-25-2013, 10:30 AM
Thanks guys for all of the input! I grew up in Minnesota behind a malibu(Im sure this is a forbidden word on this site, she is still an awesome boat though, my Dads baby) Echelon, so yes, these inboards hold some sentimental value to me and this would be a labor of love.

MrMastercraft you are correct that the boat values are considerably higher out here, it costs a small fortune to ship something like this here, which is why its hard to believe how anyone could let this boat get so bad, with proper care these boats can run in salt water just fine, outboards are raw water cooled as well, they also need to be thoroughly flushed after every use.

So , I talked to the seller (who of course has 30 other people that want to look at the boat) today on the phone and let him know that I had seen and dug into it a little bit. From what we gathered, the boat has changed for the worse since he last saw it (i think the last time he saw it was when it was put where it sits now 2 years ago. So he said think about it and shoot him an offer. I told him I dont want to insult him by lowballing but I went through a quick list of the big stuff right away, engine $2000, who knows if the tranny is any good still (the prop spins with two hands) and what do those go for and can you even find them? trailer-i could get my friend to fab/weld a trailer to fit that I found for 1300, both side windshields are shot, they could stay in but they are cracked and look like crap, those are spendy even if you can find one, interior-even if I do as much as i can myself ill still probably be looking at 500 min. So well see what he says after he gets a chance to look at it. I think you guys make a good point though, offer him 500 while hes sitting there looking at this sad sight. The funny thing about Hawaii is, Boats are so expensive out here, you can hardly get a 8ft dingy for 500 clams, its nuts! If this boat was fixed up, running solid and looked presentable, original or not it could easily sell for 10k all day every day. So I still think it could be a fun project. I dont have a ton of money so it would be slower progress than some resto's ive seen here that seem to happen in a week... So the main thing is I guess it would be hard to lose money on it, especially if I do most of the work myself.
We will see what Mr. Seller has to say, hopefully in the next couple of days, Ill keep you guys posted.

Cloaked, no we do not have any freshwater lakes on oahu. We have massive waves though, fun double ups :)

Coz, lol sweet prop paint ya!! The barnicals come with it too! All that stuff is just cosmetic and should clean up nice with some patience and elbow grease!

Again, thanks so much guys for your thoughts, inspiration and knowledge! Hopefully we can bring this old salt back to life!

Jeffer
06-26-2013, 09:31 AM
Investing your time is one thing, and I enjoyed investing MINE during my refurb (which, by the way, looked like a new boat polishing compared to what you are looking at here), but parts and equipment is entirely another. I personally don't think I would spend $500 on it, as much as I love to see re-animation as much as the next guy on this forum!
Whatever you do, good luck and post. But I'm with the others who suggest saving, buying off mainland, and shipping something used out there...you would be way ahead and enjoying being ON it as opposed to UNDER it.
Now you have at least $0.04 worth of advice!

coz
06-26-2013, 09:48 AM
Cloaked, no we do not have any freshwater lakes on oahu. We have massive waves though, fun double ups :)

Love it over there, been a couple times. 1st time we stayed in Waianae on the westside, a little rough around the edges there but beautiful, there were waves at Makaha and I go to surf. The second time around it wasn't very good but we did get some nice rights up at Kuilima point on the NS. What part of the island are you on?

chriscraftmatt1976
06-26-2013, 10:03 AM
Wow, that's an ambitious project. The good news is the gas tank looks good. Everything else will have to go.

man, i've got to agree. you can get a project boat for free, and still pay too much sometimes.

nkorep2
06-26-2013, 11:40 PM
I think at even 1000 it could potentially be a reasonable project. I know I sound crazy saying that. That is if it had a windshield. In my eyes that gonna the pain in the but part. Youd be surprised, that block may actually not be a gonner, the question is why it was parked and left alone???? An engine block is basically a peice of metal, and assuming you could free the pistons and there is oil in there, who knows? Id plan for a new motor.

Transmission is a velvet drive, Check fluid levels, if there is transmission fluid in there, and the transmission wasnt submerged, you may get away without having to replace the whole thing. Clutch pack, seals and main input shaft cause its probably pitted.

Whoever said the guages are shot is also probably wrong. I bet they work. The speedos probably dont, and youd have to go through all the wiring, but they look better than mine did. My speedos were gone, but so far every other gauge has worked. They'd be an easy clean up if thats the case.

With the hull, you may actually want to cut a section of the floor out and check if there is water underneath, I had water in mine from water standing in the boat. No big deal, dry it out and glass it back in.

Id say the biggest question is whether or not you are willing to enjoy the process. If not, then its not worth it if you get it for free. If you are ready to enjoy it then go for it! Take your time.

Here's my project. http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=47157

maxpower220
06-27-2013, 11:38 AM
Don't forget about the wiring. I would guess that it will need a complete rewire. Based on the prop, instrument bezels and such, the wiring is corroded beyond use.

I understand project boats, but where will you be able to use it once it's done. That boat doesn't take to any type of chop or rough water.

Lumbergh
06-27-2013, 11:41 AM
I remember a saying about old boats:

"Even for free, its too much money..."

nkorep2
06-27-2013, 03:18 PM
Don't forget about the wiring. I would guess that it will need a complete rewire. Based on the prop, instrument bezels and such, the wiring is corroded beyond use.

I understand project boats, but where will you be able to use it once it's done. That boat doesn't take to any type of chop or rough water.

I'd be willing to bet most of the wiring harness is usable or fairly easily replaceable .

TayMC197
06-27-2013, 04:06 PM
I'd give 1,000 and enjoy a fun project. It's save able.

steepndeep
06-29-2013, 09:20 AM
I appreciate the comments guys, some have been a reality check but all very positive.

COZ, thats awesome you got to spend some time on the west side. The waves tend to be less crowded over there than in town. I live a three minute skateboard ride from waikiki and have been having some of the best south swells we have had in years! I have never ski'd or wakeboarded out here (yet) but there are a few really nice lagoons and harbors that allow towing so the boat would be fun. I would be hesitant to take this boat out in open water in anything but the calmest of days.

nkorep2, that is one badass rebuild you have going. Thanks for the encouragement. I spoke with the seller yesterday and we talked about the current condition of the boat since he saw it last two years ago when it was parked there. I offered him 500 and he didnt seem offended at all. He said that there is interest in a few parts off of it but he would rather see the boat be revived than part it out and let it die. From what he said it was given to him as payment on a debt. He already has a nice sailboat so when this thing took a crap he didnt have any driving force to dig into it. Its sitting in the harbormasters lot costing him a 100 a month to store it there. Anyway, Im waiting on him to go look at the boat and asses my offer after looking at it. The guy seems really cool and has already told me of a few people that he knows can help with a rebuilt 351 marine engine for $600 and sounds like he knows a lot of contacts in the marine industry and would be willing to help me with the restore along the way (not physically but logistically I guess would be the way to explain it). So hopefully the boat will be bought for next to nothing and then all i need to do is find a trailer that can be made to fit. Not sure how hard it will be to cut and weld a trailer to fit...? And then start tearing into her. The cosmetic stuff is not much of a concern right away. Eventually I would love to make it shine of course. My hops are that the tranny can be rebuilt and the shaft and prop/rudder assembly are all okay and just need some time on the ol wire wheel and grease gun. I think the hardest thing is going to be the dang windshield, but thats a long way from being on the top of the priority list. Hopefully my next post will be celebrating the purchase of a mastercraft!!

nkorep2
06-29-2013, 01:20 PM
Chances are you will have to replace the shaft and couple because its unlikely that it will wanna come off and you'll have to cut the shaft, I took my shaft to a machine shop with a huge press to remove the prop, tranny will likely be ok for a rebuild. If you're careful, I imagine a 7-8k investment over the entire restoration, 10k max, which in my eyes is still worth it because if the learning that will take place.

See if you can figure out more history of the boat and share with us.

steepndeep
07-02-2013, 12:48 AM
Im curious why would the shaft not come free from the tranny, isnt it just 4 bolts? Im guessing you mean the coupler from the shaft, if so, arent they both stainless? they should come apart with some convincing Id imagine. Again, you would know better than I but lets hope a new shaft is not on the shopping list.

So the deal will be done wed, 500 clams!!! Might be the cheapest Mastercraft ever sold... The seller finally checked out the boat and agreed that its not really worth much as it sits unless parted out, which wouldnt get much more... He said he thinks the side windows are lexan?? My understanding is that they were tempered glass but maybe that was other years. The seller is super cool and turns out he is well known in the boating community out here. His friend runs a big boat yard close to my house and it can park there on blocks for 100 a month until a trailer is found or made to fit. The boat yard has fork lifts and cranes to make the engine swap easier, paint booth should I decide to go that route, and lots of engines and misc stuff like specialty tools and welders...

The story about the boat is that it sat Kaneohe Marine base for 7 years and was just abandon there, not sure if the owner was killed in battle but for some reason just left there. Then went to this guy who used it to pay back a debt to the current seller who is selling to me on Wed. So this poor boat has been dry for way too long! Cant wait to start tearing into it!

One question, where do I look to find out if it has the standard or powerslot tranny and can anyone tell just from the pictures what kind of engine option this thing has? I believe its a for 351 but not sure what other options there were in 91. Thanks guys!

Tristarboarder
07-02-2013, 01:09 AM
Usually the tranny will have a placard on it that should tell ya. Also on the engine should be a data plate for the motor, just have to search around for it, if it isn't corroded etc. Also, check the prop/shaft size. A 1" usually is a 1:1 ratio, velvet drive, whereas on these older boats a 1 1/8" is often used for a power slot 1:1.5 reduction. I am glad that you decided to give it a shot, most of us will be following your project closely.... Good luck!

thatsmrmastercraft
07-02-2013, 01:43 AM
Sounds like you are in at a pretty fair price. Congrats :toast:

That is a Ford engine....dist in the front is a dead give-away. Post some pics of the trans and we should be able to ID it as well, but the tag will tell you if it's still legible.

coz
07-02-2013, 10:32 AM
Good luck with the rehab, keep us posted.

catamount
07-02-2013, 10:39 AM
Congrats on the purchase! This will be a fun thread to keep up with. Please add lots of pictures as you go!

nkorep2
07-03-2013, 01:53 AM
Im curious why would the shaft not come free from the tranny, isnt it just 4 bolts? Im guessing you mean the coupler from the shaft, if so, arent they both stainless? they should come apart with some convincing Id imagine. Again, you would know better than I but lets hope a new shaft is not on the shopping list.

So the deal will be done wed, 500 clams!!! Might be the cheapest Mastercraft ever sold... The seller finally checked out the boat and agreed that its not really worth much as it sits unless parted out, which wouldnt get much more... He said he thinks the side windows are lexan?? My understanding is that they were tempered glass but maybe that was other years. The seller is super cool and turns out he is well known in the boating community out here. His friend runs a big boat yard close to my house and it can park there on blocks for 100 a month until a trailer is found or made to fit. The boat yard has fork lifts and cranes to make the engine swap easier, paint booth should I decide to go that route, and lots of engines and misc stuff like specialty tools and welders...

The story about the boat is that it sat Kaneohe Marine base for 7 years and was just abandon there, not sure if the owner was killed in battle but for some reason just left there. Then went to this guy who used it to pay back a debt to the current seller who is selling to me on Wed. So this poor boat has been dry for way too long! Cant wait to start tearing into it!

One question, where do I look to find out if it has the standard or powerslot tranny and can anyone tell just from the pictures what kind of engine option this thing has? I believe its a for 351 but not sure what other options there were in 91. Thanks guys!

The coupler isn't stainless and with enough corrosion, it won't release the stainless shaft, mine didn't, the coupler was garbage and needed to be replaced. I had to cut it to get it out. Post a better pic of the tranny and it's easy to identify. My guess is that it's not a power slot. If you look at mine, you can compare. Mine is a power slot.

Since you'll be running in salt, it may be a good idea to run a closed cooling system, that way you won't have salt running through the motor itself.

steepndeep
07-26-2013, 03:26 AM
more pics anyone

steepndeep
07-26-2013, 03:30 AM
So Ive been digging into her as much as I can lately. Still not trailer so I have to drive to where it sits and pull parts off as I go and take them home to clean them up and restore them. took the interior out and cleaned out most of the garbage so I could get a better look and at least move around in there. the tird tracking fin was a little tricky to get to with the engine being in there but Im sure they were not designed to be taken out very often. Im sure most mastercrafts tracking fins will never look as bad as these. they cleaned up really nice with a wire wheel on a cordless impact driver though, super stoked about that, as well as the rudder and steering arm. couldnt get the prop nut off, the threads were a little rough, went and got a file and Im sure that will do the trick.

steepndeep
07-26-2013, 03:34 AM
more pics

steepndeep
07-26-2013, 03:39 AM
took a few pics of the manifolds where they meet the gaskets, does anyone know if these are easy to refurb and reuse? not sure how corroded the internal channels are but im imagining there isnt much to them... Also, I cannot get the grease fitting off of the rudder housing, just cant get a good fit with a socket or wrench... was thinking of hooking it straight to the chuck key on a drill and trying it that way but I dont want to make problems worse.

What do you think about that tranny fluid color? pretty nice huh. Hey Im just happy there is still fluid in there, hopefully everything is okay in there. any thoughts are welcome!

Was surprised to find the bilge so clean!!

steepndeep
07-26-2013, 03:44 AM
more pics

steepndeep
07-26-2013, 03:52 AM
the steering cable mount bracket looks pretty rough, wonder why they didnt make these out of aluminum. shouldnt be too tricky to come up with a proper new one.

forgot to get an after pic of the gas cap but I took it apart and polished it up, looks like new, the gasket is kinda chewed up but it cleaned up nice enough.

couldnt wait to get that ugly bottom paint off of the rudder, the whole boat for that matter!! It looks good as new minus a couple nicks.. thanks again to that $4 wire brush drill attachment :)

had to take off those worn out transom vents, I figured they might look cool polished, well see how they look on the boat in time but for now they look way better than old powder coat!

the tail pipe covers cleaned up okay, the plastic is still a little rough but I think they will buff out to almost new with elbow grease and patience.

Okay so I finally took a look at the carb, at least the air cleaner can be reused but not sure about this thing. when I get time Ill soak it but i would love a second and third opinion on wether its even savable, Ive rejetted motorcycle carbs but never come across something this ugly!

steepndeep
07-26-2013, 03:54 AM
last one for now

steepndeep
07-26-2013, 03:59 AM
Well thanks in advance for all the comments. If youre wondering why most of the pictures are taken on the tailgate of my truck its because that is my workshop and my garage all in one. all of the work has been done in the driveway at my house. Its funny growing up in Minnesota, everyone hangs out in the garages, here in hawaii only the well off even have a garage and most are not very elaborate, I guess because space is at a premium.

It has been a really fun project so far, its always exciting every time progress is made. For example always being on craigslist, got a great deal on a trailer hitch set up for my tacoma, brand new Reese hidden hitch for $160, no wiring harness yet though. thats okay, no need to put the cart before the horse :)

Happy viewing MC fans!

catamount
07-26-2013, 09:00 AM
Based on your throttle body :eek3:, I don't think I would attempt to salvage that carb.

I can't imagine what the tiny passages inside the metering blocks must look like. I think you will be well justified in spending the bucks for a new one.

The brass parts all cleaned up nicely! Keep it up, and please keep posting photos -- I'm loving this thread.

d2jp
07-26-2013, 09:22 AM
Not sure if you answered the Powerslot question, but based upon the picture of the driveshaft and coupling, you have a Powerslot as the gear reduction sits a the back of the transmission and looking at your picture, that's what you have. My US Coast Guard sticker also says Powerslot on my boat and the red label riveted to the transmission should say something like Borg-Warner 1:1.52 or something like that (sorry, I've had about 6 hours of sleep all week:) and the standard trans says 1:1.

For $500 it's a deal - a lot of work ahead but a great deal!

Double D
07-26-2013, 09:33 AM
the tail pipe covers cleaned up okay, the plastic is still a little rough but I think they will buff out to almost new with elbow grease and patience.

Just a suggestion, but instead of cleaning up the tailpipes you should throw some of these on there. I did!

Here is the entire thread on it.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=34233&highlight=Exhaust+Tips

thatsmrmastercraft
07-26-2013, 11:09 AM
Great progress pics. I will second the thought on starting over on the carb. If you are a carb guy like me, you might take on the challenge though.

gsxrjtt
07-26-2013, 11:15 AM
Keep taking pics love to see old ones get back to life.. and how cheap your into the boat i say go new carb and do some motor and injection upgrades with the extra $$$$

steepndeep
08-05-2013, 02:30 PM
Good news, a trailer has been found! The good and bad news is, it comes with another boat lol. But for $100 for everything I couldnt say no. Dual axel and galvanized. Will need to source a rear support that will allow the inboard setup but that shouldnt be too hard. patience has really paid off, as I was almost ready to shell out big bucks to have a trailer custom made here. Just to ship one from California was quoted around $1500, I dont understand why a trailer costs more than a truck to ship out but maybe its because it cannot move under its own power... This trailer has a blown out tire so for around $150 this has really made my day and project so much more exciting and way under budget now. Now what to do with this boat?? Can anyone tell the make and model, the seller has no idea what it is and I couldnt find any markings although I havnt looked closely yet. The hull seems to be in great shape minus the really ugly paint. Could be a fun project after the MC is done.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-05-2013, 02:38 PM
From what I can see, the trailer looks decent. Boat looks interesting too. Perhaps you can find someone to take it off your hands for $100 and you get a free trailer.

chriscraftmatt1976
08-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Hmm. Chris craft stinger maybe? Possibly wellcraft?

steepndeep
08-14-2013, 07:18 AM
Hey guys, could use a little help right now sourcing a store bought crossmember for the trailer. The stern crossmember, I need a drop down one that will allow for the inboard setup. Is this something that can be bought aftermarket? or will I be getting out the torch? Bolt on would be better... Any links or help would be great, thanks guys. Will post pics asap

thatsmrmastercraft
08-14-2013, 12:32 PM
Should be simple to have that fabricated by someone with some welding skills.

steepndeep
06-07-2014, 03:36 AM
Hey all, its been a while. Found what looks like a good deal on craigslist. just wondering how possible it would be to fit this engine/trans combo into my boat that has a 351w with powerslot. All thoughts are welcome! Thanks for the help guys!

steepndeep
06-07-2014, 03:37 AM
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/boa/4504621640.html

Wingnut
06-07-2014, 10:00 AM
Steep, restoed a hammered 98 205 salt water baby and I actually was stationed in Hawaii for 5 years and left in 05. I have skiied out of Kanehoe many times- (sandbar rocks too). Used to have a ski club at the Marina. I saw this boat sitting there years ago. couldn't ever find the owner. Anyway, I learned a lot on my resto so check out the link 1998 205 redo by wingnut. This forum rocks and there are some great folks- Many really popoo saltwater but you go with what you got. Ill watch your redo. I operate and live on salt. All the best. One of your big expenses will be the interior so start shopping now. Later Dave

steepndeep
06-07-2014, 12:09 PM
Dave thanks man, yeah not much we can do about the salt, I miss riding so itll have to do for now. I think was a little unclear about my last post. I am thinking of buying the tantrum and pulling the engine/trans out of it and using it in the prostar that Ive been restoring. Just wondering if its doable and would be worth the effort for the price. Also it comes with the tower and other goodies :) Thanks again, cant wait to check out your thread, this site is full of inspiration!

Wingnut
06-10-2014, 02:41 PM
Cant access the C list link- Ref Motor switch You will have to check the mounts and dimensions. I learned that that the mounts are tapped into the stringer so if your thinking start throwing a mixture of AT fluid and Brake fluid on the threads now. I have both front and rear INDMAR mounts for the engine- Fronts are new Tranny is used- think the original set up might have been ford carb Indmar 351 (240hp)with Borg Warner Drive. New gonna run you 7-8K stateside with everything for a mark on the wall. Good Luck- keep it going. Dave

steepndeep
08-04-2014, 11:20 PM
Hey guys, finally scrounged up enough coin for a repower. Im hesitant to buy used but seems to be an affordable option. Does anyone have any resources they could recommend? It will have a closed cooling system that I saved from the scrapped engine. Any help would be great! Thank you

steepndeep
08-07-2014, 11:20 PM
Anyone ever try sandblasting rusty intake and exhaust manifolds/exhaust elbows to try and salvage them??

Olaff
08-08-2014, 03:10 AM
I sandblasted and painted the exhaust elbows on my '82 last year. They still look great.

steepndeep
08-08-2014, 08:27 AM
I sandblasted and painted the exhaust elbows on my '82 last year. They still look great.

Nice! Mine are really rusty on the inside, was wondering if it would be okay to sandblast it out. Would save some coin if these are salvageable...

Olaff
08-11-2014, 11:25 PM
Don't see why not....
Just clean all the sand out afterwards.