PDA

View Full Version : Tantrum tips?

DougH
06-23-2013, 10:47 PM
My first tantrum attempt: http://superdoug.tumblr.com/post/53695244990
Obviously I could use some more pop. Any tips?

JohnnyB
06-24-2013, 06:55 AM
Not a boarder but looking at pure mechanics I would say you are starting your maneuver before you pop off the wake

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Jerseydave
06-24-2013, 09:49 AM
Watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcgtM7Dxtxk

MI_Corey
06-24-2013, 10:11 AM
Come into into it faster and square up more. You should almost stomp the top of the wake. Looks like you didn't let go with one hand until you were off the wake. Let go when you get to the trough. Also, look where you want to go. You kind of crunched up instead of looking over backwards to spot the landing. Congrats on starting into inverts though and keep working at it!

dvsone79
06-24-2013, 10:46 AM
What speed was the boat set at? That wake looks washy. Speed will clean it up and make it firm too which makes popping off the top easier.

MI_Corey
06-24-2013, 10:55 AM
What speed was the boat set at? That wake looks washy. Speed will clean it up and make it firm too which makes popping off the top easier.

I thought so too.

DougH
06-24-2013, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the tips. I think we were going about 19. Rope at 65'. X-45 with stock ballast full.

MI_Corey
06-24-2013, 04:10 PM
Try 21-22. It only takes a couple mph to firm the wake up.

DougH
06-24-2013, 04:12 PM
Watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcgtM7Dxtxk

Thanks, I actually did watch that before hand, and did all the little build up moves before I tried. Water was pretty choppy, so by the time I made my attempt I was too wiped out to try again. He makes it look so easy, but the gap between the last practice move and the actual move is pretty big...

DougH
06-24-2013, 04:13 PM
Awesome, I'll try faster this weekend. Although I'm going to assume it firms up the water for my falls too...

Traxx822
06-24-2013, 05:07 PM
Awesome, I'll try faster this weekend. Although I'm going to assume it firms up the water for my falls too...

If your going to move into inverts I would highly recommend a helmet. You mentioned being pretty fatigued after single wake slow speed practice. Bow try a couple sets at full speed. Yes it will firm up the water for your falls as well, and a helmet will help that pain. Making you able to get in more sets before getting to fatigued and possibly causing and injury because your trying things even when your strength is gone.

Trip into your tantrum. And stomp off the top, spot your landing early and don't close your eyes. Lastly, do whatever you can to consciously hold on to the rope. Not letting go on a sloppy rotation can mean landing the trick because the rope and boat will pull you out of it.

Good luck

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

clrussell
06-24-2013, 09:10 PM
So I've been wanting to start inverts this year, and was thinking about posting a thread like this, so thanks to the o.p. for posting. I've watched the videos tried a few times on rotations with no luck. Where do I start? Should I start with rotations off the dock with no board trying To get used to the rotation? Or just work on rotations at a slower speed behind the boat until I feel comfortable enough to try a full rotation? Or is there a way I can work on tantrums away from the lake?

Aric'sX15
06-24-2013, 09:38 PM
its the trip at the peak of the wave that differs the tantrum from say jumping off your dock. The OP looks like he didnt pop or trip off the wake, which is why he didnt get the rotation or air needed.

MI_Corey
06-24-2013, 09:38 PM
Are you trying backrolls or tantrums? If tantrums feel awkward maybe try backrolls instead. You don't have to be as aggressive and can work on them at slower boat speeds. Tantrums are a commitment trick but backrolls kinda do the motion their self.

clrussell
06-24-2013, 09:43 PM
Maybe I should try back rolls to start?

MI_Corey
06-24-2013, 11:01 PM
Try some and see what comes easier.

swatguy
06-25-2013, 03:46 PM
some people prefer the backroll some people prefer the tantrum. Try a couple of each and see what feels better. I learned the tantrum first and the backroll second. However the backroll feels completely more natural to me and the wrecks associated with learning each also were less on the bankroll.

With that said I have buddies that were the complete opposite of me.

In the video you are leaving way to early. MAke it to the top of the wake. When you think you want to pop and initiate it, wait 2 more seconds. You're definitely trying to muscle it yourself. The wake pretty much will initiate everything for you if you wait and make the trip flip edge pop so easily. So really wait on it. I would also speed up a bit. Really start on the gas hard towards the wake when you cut in, then let off and flatten out a bit right before you go to the "trip flip edge" where you square up. the huge key for me was really exaggerating laying out with only one hand on the roper as I entered the trough as mentioned. Make sure your head goes straight back not around and back and make sure your arm holding the handle stays extended otherwise you will start to rotate in the air.

swatguy
06-25-2013, 03:52 PM
CL

You can slow the boat up for backroll attempts and really get the edge dialed to tone down the crashes for the first attempts. A soild progressive edge and line tension are key. You dont need much of an approach like you do on the tantrum so you can start your cut in much closer to the wake.

I learned tantrums by slowing the boat a little and going from inside out on one wake as well as in the flats off of rollers on turn arounds to just get the basics on the edge change and the rotation.

clrussell
06-26-2013, 04:09 PM
CL

You can slow the boat up for backroll attempts and really get the edge dialed to tone down the crashes for the first attempts. A soild progressive edge and line tension are key. You dont need much of an approach like you do on the tantrum so you can start your cut in much closer to the wake.

I learned tantrums by slowing the boat a little and going from inside out on one wake as well as in the flats off of rollers on turn arounds to just get the basics on the edge change and the rotation.

Thanks for the tips! I'll try some this weekend and get back to everyone

GoneBoatN
06-27-2013, 12:06 AM
CL

Thanks for the tips! I'll try some this weekend and get back to everyone

Swatguy pointed me to this a while back about backrolls.
Wakeboarding Tip: Low Impact HS Back Roll Progression - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgNhCwKLf48

clrussell
06-27-2013, 12:31 AM
Thanks! I've been studying the learn wake videos and am gonna give it all a shot Saturday!

MI_Corey
07-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Thanks! I've been studying the learn wake videos and am gonna give it all a shot Saturday!

How did it go?

clrussell
07-07-2013, 12:41 PM
Not so well, wind was blowing so hard Saturday all day I couldn't find a decent spot on the lake. Our spot that's glass 90% of the time had 1' chop all day. I was on the lake 10 hours and boarded a total of 5 minutes I think. Headed back this afternoon and hope to give it a shot again!

clrussell
07-07-2013, 11:18 PM
Well today didnt go much better.. I couldn't get in the groove, I couldn't even jump wake to wake today. Plyon speakers weren't working and that really brought my vibe down.. I had the best set right before I left for the day. If I had rode as relaxed and as well as the last set I would have been able to do alot better all day.

GoneBoatN
07-08-2013, 12:09 AM
Well today didnt go much better.. I couldn't get in the groove, I couldn't even jump wake to wake today. Plyon speakers weren't working and that really brought my vibe down.. I had the best set right before I left for the day. If I had rode as relaxed and as well as the last set I would have been able to do alot better all day.

Kind of how it went for me today as well. Although I was getting wake-2-wake, i was not getting the pop I was getting last week. I had the gopro (will not share cause it was ugly!) and when I looked at the video I could see all. I was not keeping the loaded (tension) when going up the wake; I was turning too hard/fast initially. I was not extending enough and at that far too late. Some days are like that, a step back and next time hopefully two steps forward...

clrussell
07-08-2013, 01:04 AM
I think I'm going to have to go ride with someone who knows more than I do. But around here I don't know anyone. My self teach only works so well. If I had someone "teaching" me I think it would help

MI_Corey
07-08-2013, 08:00 AM
I also have wished I had someone to ride with. I've taught 5 different people how to get up this year haha.

tkemperdc
07-17-2013, 01:00 PM

Its just water.....just more firm....LOL

bcd
07-17-2013, 11:55 PM
I also have wished I had someone to ride with. I've taught 5 different people how to get up this year haha.

Sign up for learnwake.com. It's 10 bucks a month. Give it a shot for a month of two. They give you tons of good fundamentals and you can send in videos and they'll tell you no only what you're doing wrong, but what to do to fix it.

clrussell
08-01-2013, 09:13 AM
So tonight is going to by my first time back out in about a month and I would like to work on this some more. How do you learn the trip motion?

MI_Corey
08-05-2013, 06:42 PM
Wish I would have had it on video for you guys to get a laugh out of. Messed up on a tantrum yesterday which stalled my rotation but still got booted. Landed about five feet into the flats straight on my back. My neck is pretty sore today! My wife thought it was hilarious though.

Traxx822
08-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Wish I would have had it on video for you guys to get a laugh out of. Messed up on a tantrum yesterday which stalled my rotation but still got booted. Landed about five feet into the flats straight on my back. My neck is pretty sore today! My wife thought it was hilarious though.

Haha, they seem to enjoy it when we get pitted face first or land too hard. Enjoy it a little too much :D

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

michiganTristar
08-06-2013, 04:52 PM
Corey- Im in the Ann arbor area, and Fenton if you ever need someone to ride with.

MI_Corey
08-06-2013, 04:59 PM
Yeah man. What lake do you typically go to?

michiganTristar
08-07-2013, 10:50 AM
90% of my time is on Belleville lake, some on Ford lake, and the rest on Lake Fenton, normally only a few weekends a summer.

Boat stays on a dock in Belleville so its easy to access. Where do you ride?

Just taught the G.F how to backroll this summer, still not great on the landings but shes getting there.

MI_Corey
08-07-2013, 04:15 PM
We usually go to a chain of lakes out by dexter. We put in on halfmoon and go through a channel to get to blind. I just learned backrolls this year myself and my wife learned to ride this year. She's got edging down now and is starting to try jumping. We just bought a boat this year so we have been going about once a week. I can tell you are much more advanced than me but I would be game to come out to belleville sometime and ride. I have a weird work schedule but it does allow me to go during the week sometimes.

bcd
08-08-2013, 11:36 PM
I've been avoiding the tantrum because I was worried about hurting my bum shoulder, but I finally decided it was time to give them a try. Here's my second attempt: https://vimeo.com/71865038. I popped the handle on both tries. I didn't think there was supposed to be a lot of line tension in this trick, but I've lost the handle both times.

Let's see who can land one first.

GoneBoatN
08-09-2013, 12:23 AM
bcd, dang you are close.

MI_Corey
08-09-2013, 09:59 PM
looked good until the very end!

bcd
08-12-2013, 07:43 PM
OK, weekend's over, where are everyone's videos? I only managed 2 tries that were pretty similar. Here's the better of the two videos: http://vimeo.com/72158091. I kept the handle both times, but didn't get around. I actually spotted the landing on this one, right before I face planted the other wake. It took a couple of minutes before I could see clearly again. I don't know if I need to stand taller at take off to get more trip action off the wake or what. I'm getting the height and distance, just not the rotation.