PDA

View Full Version : 1985 "Stars and Stripes" - assistance requested

RacerX
06-20-2013, 03:01 PM
Hey all, first post here. I'm looking to pick up a boat for the family, always been an MC fan. I'm looking at an '85 that looks to be in great shape. I've not spoken to the seller yet, will do so tonite I hope. I'm basically wondering what a fair price is, I don't know the value of boats all that well and I can only go on list prices of similar boats for sale. Anything in particular to watch out for on an '85? I'm very mechanical though not really a structural/body type guy. Any help is appreciated, I'm located in SE Michigan. Thanks, hope to be on the lake soon.

"1985 MASTERCRAFT STARS & STRIPES ADDITION ONE OWNER BOAT ALWAYS BEEN KEPT INDOORS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION HAS APCM 351 V-8 ELECTRONIC IGNITION ORIGINAL INTERIOR IN VERY NICE SHAPE BRAND NEW 13X13 OJ NIBRAL PROP FULL MORNING/TRAVEL COVER MASTER CRAFT SINGLE AXLE TRAILER QUICK RELEASE TEAK SWIM PLATFORM ALL GAUGES,LIGHTS AND SAFTY SYSTEMS IN GOOD WORKING ORDER BOAT IS READY FOR THE WATER - $6500"

http://images.craigslist.org/3G93M33Jd5K35q55tcd653cebe29d52401ab2.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/3E43K53I85sd5Hb5Jdd6531b17d086d4816a5.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/3Ea3L23J65I95rb5F3d65f9ddddc7919f1fce.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/3G23I53J55r25K25Mad654ef8f9fcfeef1b35.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/3Ga3K83Hb5rd5sd5q7d65698ac42936501ffe.jpg

Cheers.

Jack

thatsmrmastercraft
06-20-2013, 03:20 PM
Welcome to Team Talk and good luck in your boat shopping efforts. That is a pretty nice looking '85. While this is the height of the boat sales season, that price may be a little steep. How many hours are on the boat? It will have an hour meter and it's a standard question to ask of the seller.

Shilohsho
06-20-2013, 03:21 PM
Looks pretty clean to me. It's missing the stars down each side though. Those can be put back on, just makes you wonder what happened to them. I'm in SC and that's about the price for a nice clean S&S around here.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-20-2013, 03:25 PM
Looks pretty shiny. I would bet the stars were removed for buffing. That is a very small factor, but can be utilized for a couple hundred when negotiating.

Jeff_in_NY
06-20-2013, 09:46 PM
That's the cleanest 28 year old bilge I've ever seen.

madcityskier
06-20-2013, 10:45 PM
Depending on the hours, that boat in that condition doesn't seem steep at all to me.
I'd check the platform brackets, they've been changed out. The interior fabric is old, if it is getting brittle you may not be far from replacing, could cost a bit. Stars aren't too bad, get a laser level. Electronic ignition can be great if it's done right, otherwise a curse. Run it a fair while, watch the temp. Should lock in around 140 or 160, when it's good and warm shut down and start back up. Shouldn't need throttle. Check tires for weather/age checking. Eye up owner's tow vehicle. If it's trashed, the boat has likely not been cared for day to day, but detailed to sell. If it's as clean as the boat, you're good. You don't buy the boat, you buy the owner's live of the boat, the time and effort they put into it.

mikeg205
06-20-2013, 11:00 PM
Also give the backing -plates a quick look on the trailer to make sure the seals are good shape for the ride home if you pull trigger. $6500 fir an 85 seems about right IMO. How many hours for me too and ask if seller has log book for service. Also look at how to buy used boat in FAQ in this forum.

mikeg205
06-20-2013, 11:04 PM
oh btw - nice nick name - is your long lost brother Speed Racer?

Sotipnomon
06-21-2013, 08:45 AM
Looks and sounds good to me? I paid 5,200 for my 76 and have put around 1,000 into it to get it where I wanted it to be and couldn't be happier. The value of these older boats seems hard to nail down from a book or any other source. The look on people's faces as they are asking about mine and the sound of that v8 gurgling through the water are priceless. I'd say request a test ride and if everything seems solid and sounds good you won't be disappointed.

Good luck!

RacerX
06-22-2013, 07:57 PM
Thanks very much for all the replies, very helpful! I have not spoken to the seller yet, may try to call him tonite or tomorrow. This boat should be all FG construction right, no wood stringers? I see a lot of very nice early 80's, late 70's boats but right now I need as little to worry about as possible. I can do any mechanical maintenance but don't want to mess with structural stuff.

I'm not sure of the hours, that's definitely the first question. I will definitely check the "how to buy" section here.

Thanks again, I will keep y'all posted.

Cheers.

Jack

PS - RacerX....spent too much time/money racing cars for the last 12 years. ; )

RacerX
06-22-2013, 08:53 PM
Spoke to the owner, seems like an nice guy. I've done many long distance/hand shake deals over the last decade so I've come to be a pretty good judge of first impression. Anyway, boat has ~700 hours, they're the original owners (bought new) and they've used it every year even if only a little. Selling because too many grand kids, bought pontoon. : )

He says they have records and history so thats good too. Says the interior is fabulous (original) but it's always been covered/stored properly so great shape/like new. I am planning to go look at it tomorrow as he is keeping it at the shop where he works which is closer to me than the listed location. He said of course I can take it for a test drive if we get to that point, it's ready to go.

All in all sounds pretty decent so we'll see tomorrow and go from there. Once again, thanks for the help.

Oh, checked the FAQ, I must be doing it wrong, don't see any "how to buy a used boat" results. Any help? Thanks again.

Jack

madcityskier
06-22-2013, 08:56 PM
No glass. Where's the boat? I grew up in Brooklyn. Great area, never been somewhere with so many lakes. If it's near there and you need help I may no someone well ng to take a look with you.

RacerX
06-22-2013, 08:59 PM
Boat is listed in Oxford but he says they use it up north at their cabin. I didn't ask what lake. It's located in Waterford right now and I'm in Brighton. My wife's parents live in Jerome so I know that area out there a bit.

Sorry, what do you mean "no glass?"

Thanks.

Jack

Bouyhead
06-22-2013, 08:59 PM
Spoke to the owner, seems like an nice guy. I've done many long distance/hand shake deals over the last decade so I've come to be a pretty good judge of first impression. Anyway, boat has ~700 hours, they're the original owners (bought new) and they've used it every year even if only a little. Selling because too many grand kids, bought pontoon. : )

He says they have records and history so thats good too. Says the interior is fabulous (original) but it's always been covered/stored properly so great shape/like new. I am planning to go look at it tomorrow as he is keeping it at the shop where he works which is closer to me than the listed location. He said of course I can take it for a test drive if we get to that point, it's ready to go.

All in all sounds pretty decent so we'll see tomorrow and go from there. Once again, thanks for the help.

Oh, checked the FAQ, I must be doing it wrong, don't see any "how to buy a used boat" results. Any help? Thanks again.

Jack

Try this

(http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=257514&postcount=47)

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=257514&postcount=47

RacerX
06-22-2013, 09:11 PM
Try this

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=257514&postcount=47

Thanks, very helpful!

Cheers.

Jack

keith3613
06-22-2013, 10:25 PM
I've been around these boats for over 30 years. I'll tell you what I see. I don't think the black fenders are original to the trailer. The fenders should be gray. The wheels are not original. Originally, they were black. The mirror has been changed. The left speedometer looks to have been replaced. The 1984's had white speedometer needles and the 1985's had red needles. The teak platform has been notched out probably to make it removable. The trailer poles are not original. The electric choke has been replaced which means the carburetor has probably been overhauled (good thing). The dive shaft coupling at the transmission has been painted silver. It is normally black. Transmission looks to be a 1:1 ratio. The inside of the motor box should be shiny black all over and I think I see silver. The trailer is showing signs of rust under the bunks. The trailer jack is not original, but no one cares. Do you get the idea that I'm a purist? Seriously, if it runs good, all of what I see are minor things. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-22-2013, 11:25 PM
I definitely take back my previous comments about the price being a little high. If this boat is as good as it sounds, I would jump all over it. Good luck.

RacerX
06-23-2013, 12:37 PM
I've been around these boats for over 30 years. I'll tell you what I see. I don't think the black fenders are original to the trailer. The fenders should be gray. The wheels are not original. Originally, they were black. The mirror has been changed. The left speedometer looks to have been replaced. The 1984's had white speedometer needles and the 1985's had red needles. The teak platform has been notched out probably to make it removable. The trailer poles are not original. The electric choke has been replaced which means the carburetor has probably been overhauled (good thing). The dive shaft coupling at the transmission has been painted silver. It is normally black. Transmission looks to be a 1:1 ratio. The inside of the motor box should be shiny black all over and I think I see silver. The trailer is showing signs of rust under the bunks. The trailer jack is not original, but no one cares. Do you get the idea that I'm a purist? Seriously, if it runs good, all of what I see are minor things. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated! I think for this go around I won't be such a purist but it's excellent to understand what it should be and be able to ask why it isn't.

Cheers.

Jack

madcityskier
06-23-2013, 04:08 PM
Supposed to say No wood, all glass. Not sure how I managed that. My 85 has original black fenders. Otherwise, right on. I say try it out, if it runs well, grab it.

SpencerMo
06-24-2013, 03:38 PM
RacerX, I just sent you a Private Message.

Thanks

madcityskier
06-24-2013, 05:52 PM
Spence, is that your boat, if so, very nice looking ride.

RacerX
06-25-2013, 08:09 AM
So I went and looked at the boat last evening. It's very, very clean. Never guess it was an '85, obviously very well cared for. Engine looks clean, some typical grease/dirt on it but again, obviously well cared for. The interior is amazing, no snags, tears, discoloration, nothing. I'm sure it's faded from it's original brilliance but otherwise it's in fantastic shape. I'm told everything works properly with no issues. The hull has almost no scuffs or scratches and certainly nothing major, overall it's exceptionally clean.

So pending a test drive I made a deal for it and I expect to have it all sorted out before the end of this week. I think I'm more excited than the kids are, always wanted an MC ski boat. So very much looking forward to skiing, cruising, fishing....awesome.

I must say thanks to all the input I received here, definitely very, very helpful! I will stay on this board of course and will continue to post. I'll post pics when I get it home after it's officially mine.

Cheers!

Jack

RacerX
06-25-2013, 08:10 AM
RacerX, I just sent you a Private Message.

Thanks

Got your PM and responded, thanks.

Jack

madcityskier
06-26-2013, 07:49 AM
Awesome!

RacerX
06-28-2013, 09:10 AM
Got my boat! Hellacious test drive though. Rained like a mutha before meeting the seller, very cloudy and sprinkling still but decided to go for it anyway. He drove out to meet me at a lake near where I live so that saved me 1.5hrs round trip drive. It fired right up, idle smoothed out within a few mins, no odd vibrations or anything. Zipped out on the lake, did some turns, hole shots, top speed runs, felt very good. Temp came up and was solid around 160ish (it was a cooler day, rainy). Hole shots were great, I forget how nice it is to run in an inboard with 240ish HP vs a silly I4 I/O with 135.

Turns were solid in both directions, boat tracked well. Topped out around 38ish, the lake was pretty smooth, a little chop. No odd slams or noises when going over wakes. Windscreen was mildly rattly but I think it really was the only odd thing I could pick out, certainly nothing of concern.

Interior is very clean, exterior is excellent except for one good scratch. Trailer is solid though some rust is forming near the front supports, I'll fix that this summer before winter storage. Friggin' kick ***, can't wait to get on the lake!

Thanks again for all the help here, sure made me feel good about being educated enough to make a decision and then feel confident I did my homework. I think I got a good deal as well, paid less than $6k for it. Not a lot of extras but I really think the boat is solid, I'd never guess it was an '85.

Thanks again!

Jack
'85 S&S

SP Maristar
06-28-2013, 10:25 AM
Congratulations Racer! And just in time for the weekend. Ah the excitement of a new boat. Enjoy!

thatsmrmastercraft
06-28-2013, 10:43 AM
Congrats on the purchase! Great boat at a really nice price. :toast:

chriscraftmatt1976
06-28-2013, 11:05 AM
[QUOTE=RacerX;949772]Thanks very much for all the replies, very helpful! I have not spoken to the seller yet, may try to call him tonite or tomorrow. This boat should be all FG construction right, no wood stringers? I see a lot of very nice early 80's, late 70's boats but right now I need as little to worry about as possible. I can do any mechanical maintenance but don't want to mess with structural stuff.

I'm not sure of the hours, that's definitely the first question. I will definitely check the "how to buy" section here.

Thanks again, I will keep y'all posted.

Cheers.

Jack

PS - RacerX....spent too much time/money racing cars for the last 12 years. ; )[/was I need to read the thread better. Congrats.