PDA

View Full Version : Ring question

02ProstarSammyD
06-20-2013, 02:55 PM
So please refrain from standard advice of "run", "just shoot yourself", etc. I've been seeing a girl for about 2 years and she drives the boat like a champ. I mean who could stand the thought on losing a chick who can give you great pulls. Anyways who has everyone used for rings. I previously used helzberg for my ex wifes ring (yea I do this alot) and had a piss poor experience with band discoloring, diamonds coming loose, etc. Basically it all seemed like crap. While I like a lil quality in my life I also like money in my pocket so please don't say David Yurman. Looking for a simple 1/2-3/4 c solitaire as shes like 95lbs soaking wet and tiny.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

stuartmcnair
06-20-2013, 03:10 PM
run away...then shoot yourself.

I always try to buy jewelry from a local, non chain store. Tend to get better quality and better customer service when things go wrong.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-20-2013, 03:49 PM
run away...then shoot yourself.

I always try to buy jewelry from a local, non chain store. Tend to get better quality and better customer service when things go wrong.

Agreed on all points, except post pictures before shooting yourself.

ncsone
06-20-2013, 04:09 PM
Find a local broker - I would stay away from the national chain type stores.

Just my $.02.

D3skier
06-20-2013, 04:13 PM

I think we would need to see pictures first to know if this type of behavior is acceptable or not. You are a very fortunate man to find a good woman that will drive the boat. Mine won't drive the boat to save my life.

I bought my wife's ring at Brown Lee and have never had any issues with it at all over 7 years now no discoloring or loose diamonds.

etduc
06-20-2013, 04:15 PM
I gave my wife a ring from Walmart, and a magnifying glass. 8p No kidding!

She'd been hounding me for months, to pop the question. She'd had said, size of the ring didn't matter...so I took her word for it.

We later, went to buy her ring together..a.k.a "The Rock" Then she said, she was wrong...SIZE does matter! :rolleyes:

thatsmrmastercraft
06-20-2013, 04:20 PM
So please refrain from standard advice of "run", "just shoot yourself", etc. I've been seeing a girl for about 2 years and she drives the boat like a champ. I mean who could stand the thought on losing a chick who can give you great pulls. Anyways who has everyone used for rings. I previously used helzberg for my ex wifes ring (yea I do this alot) and had a piss poor experience with band discoloring, diamonds coming loose, etc. Basically it all seemed like crap. While I like a lil quality in my life I also like money in my pocket so please don't say David Yurman. Looking for a simple 1/2-3/4 c solitaire as shes like 95lbs soaking wet and tiny.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Nice angle to save a couple bucks on rock size.:rolleyes:

etduc
06-20-2013, 04:35 PM
Nice angle to save a couple bucks on rock size.:rolleyes:

Just hope, she doesn't have "man hands."

fstaslp
06-20-2013, 04:37 PM
I used a place called Distinctive Diamonds in Indianapolis. Very good service.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-20-2013, 04:48 PM
Just hope, she doesn't have "man hands."

:eek:

fskof
06-20-2013, 05:01 PM
Congrats on finding a girl that can drive the boat like a champ, those are hard to find. My advice would be to stay away from the malls. I was told by an expert that they tend to recieve the lower quality diamonds.

A wise old man once said to me that " A happy wife = a happy life" He also said "a single life = a long and happy life"....lol :)

73blue
06-20-2013, 05:20 PM
There's a guy in Austin named Lake McGuire. Nicknamed the Iceman. I'm on another forum with thousands of posters. Of the hundreds of people on there who have used him, literally no one has anything bad to say or had a negative experience ( its a college football forum where no one ever agrees on anything, except Lake). I bought my wife's wedding and engagement ring from him in the last year and we were extremely happy with the experience. Its a little odd because I've never actually met him, but from the conversations we had, he seems top-notch. Also the rings appraised for well-over what I paid. I understand if you are skeptical, but at least shoot him an email. lake@simplyradiant.com . Tell him Blue referred you.

Did I mention his name is Lake?

02ProstarSammyD
06-20-2013, 05:22 PM
Anyone ever use diamonds direct? supposed to be better value.

A wise old man once said to me that " A happy wife = a happy life" He also said "a single life = a long and happy life"....lol

I already have 2 kids.......life is over jk

I think we would need to see pictures first to know if this type of behavior is acceptable or not

This is the one
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/298316_10100330226185989_1944828106_n.jpg

Nice angle to save a couple bucks on rock size.
Wish it was an angle. Literally here she is with a 4 year old. To be honest I really don't think shes over 95 lbs
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/316569_975281211837_1859562793_n.jpg

Iskidaily
06-20-2013, 05:30 PM
Congratulations! I bought one when in New York and had it shipped down to me, saves on sales tax. Also have had very good experience with Sara at Diamonds direct in Raleigh. She is smart and helpful, you'll save money going there vs other places in Raleigh and you'll enjoy the experience.

fskof
06-20-2013, 05:39 PM
Anyone ever use diamonds direct? supposed to be better value.

I already have 2 kids.......life is over jk

This is the one
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/298316_10100330226185989_1944828106_n.jpg

Wish it was an angle. Literally here she is with a 4 year old. To be honest I really don't think shes over 95 lbs
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/316569_975281211837_1859562793_n.jpg

Wow and she drives a boat. You did good. Does she have a sister?:)

mtajpa
06-20-2013, 07:48 PM
02ProstarSammyD

I sent you a PM. I know a guy!!!!!!!

Mtajpa

dummy
06-20-2013, 07:54 PM
I bought my wife's engagement ring at The Diamond Source in Old Town, San Diego. Really, really nicely cut diamonds and good prices compared to anything that comes close in quality. She gets comments on her ring at least once a week and it's not because it's a huge rock or anything.

http://www.thediamondsource.com/

Or, sounds stupid, but check COSTCO if you're a member.

Traxx822
06-20-2013, 07:56 PM
I bought my ladies ring at Helzberg. Maybe spend more $ ?????

Hell if my lady would ever once drive the boat to tow me, She would have gotten a 2ct instead of the 1.15 and I would change the name of the boat from "She said NO" to "Anything she wants"

OHpage21
06-20-2013, 08:21 PM
Check out Diamonds Direct at Crabtree. Got my wife her ring there. Very good service, and huge selection.

Big Dogg
06-21-2013, 01:28 AM
I just bought my fiance engagement ring from Shane Co. in St. Louis. I got a great deal on a high quality 1.15ct, had it shipped back to Illinois and saved the sales tax. They have a lifetime warranty policy included that is not tacked on a additional cost, plus if you ever want to up grade you get dollar for dollar with them on trade up without having to spend significantly more. It was a great buying experience, I shopped online, local, and national before I settled with them. Think MCOCD... but in the diamond buying before I knew I found the right diamond.

76S&S
06-21-2013, 08:35 AM
I have a close friend that is a jeweler. They have made some custom jewelery for my wife over the years and do great work. Definately not the off the shelf kind of stuff yet very reasonable. Link below to their website, that has a few samples of their work. As most everything they do is custom, the website has just a small sampling. Shoot me a PM if interested and I'll put you in touch with them.

http://yhst-14732517654249.stores.yahoo.net/index.html

Finnsdad
06-21-2013, 09:12 AM
I bought the rock on Blue Nile, and the band locally, then had the local store set the rock. I printed the info from Blue Nile and took it to price shop.... the local mall shops said they dont even sotck that high of quality, and if they were to order it, that Blue Nile's price was below their cost.

jdl xstar
06-21-2013, 10:34 AM
+1 for Blue Nile. Local shops will go to great lengths to discredit them since they are a threat to brick and morter but if you do reseearch on the type of diamand you want, Bluenile will have the best prices and by far the largest selection.

For such a big purchase, i like having LOTS of options, not just what a shop has on display. Same deal for my car and boat. Purcchased both online after searching for exactly what I wanted.

But if you don't know anything about diamonds, and don't wish to learn, then stick with a local shop for guidance. Otherwise, read up on what makes a good diamond and then get it from bluenile. I'm OCD about big purchases and like to think i become a "mini" expert on whatever i'm buying so i'm as informed as possible. Just my :twocents:

Great that your girl is so small- that will certainly make any diamond look much bigger on her! Congrats and good luck!!!

BallBushing
06-21-2013, 10:50 AM
Get a prenup, don't want to be without a boat next summer

skps190
06-21-2013, 11:09 AM
I would definitely ask around and try to find a "local guy." When I was looking I went to a couple of the chain stores and then got recommended to go to "local guy," best decision I made. The jeweler I go to is about an hour away from my house but I won't buy anything jewelry related from anywhere else. There's something to be said about walking into a store and the owner knows your name and is always willing to go above and beyond. I had an expensive watch I had bought before I knew him and he was able to get it fixed out of warranty for me at no charge. It's things like that that make the difference to me. At a chain store you are just another customer, when I walk into his store I feel like I'm going to see a friend. I got a larger and better quality stone for less $ than I was being quoted at the big stores. Just my 2 cents.

H20BOY
06-21-2013, 11:16 AM
I have used Southeastern Gems for several things. Call him up and tell him what you want. When I bought my wifes engagement ring i had it appraised when i received it, it appraised for $2500 more than I paid. www.southeasterngems.com

02ProstarSammyD
06-22-2013, 01:06 PM
Get a prenup, don't want to be without a boat next summer

Not really a problem. She makes as much as I do, everything she owns is paid off, and she has more money than I do lol

Hammer
06-22-2013, 02:27 PM
You guys make me feel great about my wife. Which I already did. We have been married for 15 years and she never wanted a diamond. Who am I to argue! And she drives the boat like a champ. Through the slalom course even. Pretty good I might add and I don't have speed control.

02ProstarSammyD
06-22-2013, 02:37 PM
You guys make me feel great about my wife. Which I already did. We have been married for 15 years and she never wanted a diamond. Who am I to argue! And she drives the boat like a champ. Through the slalom course even. Pretty good I might add and I don't have speed control.

Yea well my girl knows how to press ON with the stargazer and drive in straight lines. lol

I did however know she was gold. She took a massive faceplant yesterday, we pulled her up on the platform, and her only reply was "get me a beer and give me the rope". She was pretty concussed but pretty awesome regardless.