PDA

View Full Version : Trailer help

mc_prostar
10-06-2005, 01:13 PM
I was wondering where you guys found the tie down strap for the transom. all i have found is the packages of 2 that wont work for our boats.

i was also wondering if any company out there sells a prefab prop guard. i have an 83 mc and i just dont like the way the prop and rudder just hang out with no protection.

easttxskier posted pics of his prop guard and it is amazing, i looked at pak ind. which makes the rollers but it seems that is all they make.

thanks

jimmer2880
10-06-2005, 02:47 PM
I'd just go find a local metal fab shop & have them custom fit the guard.

The strap - I just use one of the motorcycle style ratchet strap & go over the top of the rear transom. All you're trying to do is keep the trailer on the boat.

east tx skier
10-06-2005, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the compliments. The bottom of my prop guard was refab'd in that picture. The original was flimsy. The one pictured is solid steel (and still has the primer on it in the picture.

Just get a welding shop to make you one. Clearance between the prop and the prop guard is very minimal, but I can't remember off hand what it was. That will be your biggest concern.

Kevin 89MC
10-06-2005, 04:02 PM
East tx, those rollers are sweet! The little "skis" on my prop guard have scraped a fair amount of sod, concrete and blacktop over the years. If they ever wear all the way off, I may look into doing what you did. Cool! :dance:
Kevin

Ric
10-06-2005, 04:10 PM
I was wondering where you guys found the tie down strap for the transom. all i have found is the packages of 2 that wont work for our boats.

i was also wondering if any company out there sells a prefab prop guard. i have an 83 mc and i just dont like the way the prop and rudder just hang out with no protection.

easttxskier posted pics of his prop guard and it is amazing, i looked at pak ind. which makes the rollers but it seems that is all they make.

thanks

I use Ancra tie downs for my transom straps
my trailer has tabs for tie down straps in place at the back. If you don't have those tabs, you can easily weld some onto the trailer
I get some of the good straps (Ancra) at a motorcycle shop (you aint findin these at walmart)
put them on and trim the excess strap needed for bikes and these will be a dedicated pair of transom tie downs for your baby

bad pic but they are hooked to the rear lifting/towing hooks on the hull and the tie down tabs on the trailer

east tx skier
10-06-2005, 04:16 PM
East tx, those rollers are sweet! The little "skis" on my prop guard have scraped a fair amount of sod, concrete and blacktop over the years. If they ever wear all the way off, I may look into doing what you did. Cool! :dance:
Kevin

Thanks. I only wish they were poly. They did a number on my driveway before I combined a trailer lift job with a 5.5" drop hitch. But then again, I have a pretty steep slope up which to back.

Here's a picture post-lift.

east tx skier
10-06-2005, 04:17 PM
And here's what I have to scale to put the boat in the garage.

east tx skier
10-06-2005, 04:19 PM
Another angle. I'm on a roll. What was the question again? ;)

Ric
10-06-2005, 04:54 PM
I didn't think you were the type to post your license plate numbers on the internet :confused:

east tx skier
10-06-2005, 05:14 PM
Whatever do you mean? ;)

Ric
10-06-2005, 05:14 PM
Whatever do you mean? ;)
. . :purplaugh .

mc_prostar
10-06-2005, 07:43 PM
thanks guys, ill look into thoes straps

and how hard was it to "lift" your trailer, i think that might be another nice thing to get my boat farther from anything bad.

Kevin 89MC
10-07-2005, 10:54 AM
East Tx, tell me more about lifting your trailer! I should shoot a picture of my driveway, it's super steep coming off the street. I almost scrape my front fender on my car (Supra) pulling in and out. When parking my boat, I have to drive up on the grass in the front yard, to get the boat into the driveway. Pulling out is the same thing, I turn sharp, go on the grass, to gradually get on the street. If I went straight, I'd probably get the trailer stuck by catching the tongue and prop guard, and the tires would be off the ground! :eek:
How much did you raise it? Does it make it harder to launch/unlaunch into the water? I did just replace my leaf springs, that wasn't too hard.
Kevin

east tx skier
10-07-2005, 12:18 PM
I had a guy who did custom travel trailer work fabricate 2" steel blocks to lift it. That, plus larger U-bolts. He then welded them in place I think (so they wouldn't come off if I backed it off the end of a ramp and hooked them). Ran me a couple of hundred, but I'm no DIYer in that respect.

All that, and it will still drag on the driveway unless I put a 5.5" drop hitch on. Never a problem on the road though. Doesn't hit and no difference towing. Launching is still a breeze, too (but all ramps differ).

When I wear out these tires, I may upgrade to 15" rims and tires to match as I certainly have room for them now.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-07-2005, 02:28 PM
East Tx, tell me more about lifting your trailer! I should shoot a picture of my driveway, it's super steep coming off the street. I almost scrape my front fender on my car (Supra) pulling in and out. When parking my boat, I have to drive up on the grass in the front yard, to get the boat into the driveway. Pulling out is the same thing, I turn sharp, go on the grass, to gradually get on the street. If I went straight, I'd probably get the trailer stuck by catching the tongue and prop guard, and the tires would be off the ground! :eek:
How much did you raise it? Does it make it harder to launch/unlaunch into the water? I did just replace my leaf springs, that wasn't too hard.
Kevin
From the sounds of this you need about 6" of lift. Thats too much. Hmm, How much larger of a tire could you fit?

Kevin 89MC
10-10-2005, 11:07 AM
Yeah, the more I look at it, I'd probably need at least 6", and that isn't realistic. I don't think I could increase my tire diameter more than an inch. I think I'll just keep "driving on the grass"!
Kevin

east tx skier
10-10-2005, 03:07 PM
A good angle coming into the driveway helps, too.

A slight threadjack. How hard is it to add the backing solenoid to an older trailer with the lockout pin for the brakes?

jimmer2880
10-11-2005, 06:07 AM
Keep in mind when comtemplating lifting your rig, - it may be cheeper to just get a new axle. If yours is like my '95 PS190 single axle, the axle spindle is welded to the top of the 2" wide x 3" tall box tubing. A new straight axle will only run you ~$200.00 + brakes (or - you can probably just move your brakes over) for a 5,000 lb axle w/springs, spindles & hubs. I only know this because I just built a utility trailer for myself & was shocked at how cheap the axle was. Just find your local trailer supply shop (I believe Farm & Fleet carries them).

east tx skier
10-11-2005, 11:00 AM
Another cheaper alternative is to buy new springs with a little more curvature.