PDA

View Full Version : taking on water

CAS
06-18-2013, 02:51 PM
So, I'm recently divorced and took on our 1993 Prostar 205. My X did all the work and upkeep on her prior to us parting our ways. Now it's my responsibility. Getting to the point.....we were recently out for a 4 day lake vacation and I noticed that the boat was taking on a lot of water. It would fill the center locker and be above the plug within a 24 hour period. I plan on taking it in but would like to have some feedback. FYI....our boat has been maintained, garaged, babied, in almost perfect cosmetic condition and a few years back used almost exclusively for course skiing. I plan on preserving this. Any and all help greatly appreciated. :)

mikeg205
06-18-2013, 03:15 PM
Rudder probably needs grease and shaft seal probably needs replacing.. it's normal for boat to take on a little water - if boat in water - bilge pump should also be on auto.

Lumbergh
06-18-2013, 03:40 PM
Mufflers, exhaust flanges (which are below the water line), and soft wall exhaust hoses also could be culprits...

CAS
06-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Thanks mikeg205. Embarrassed to say bilge wasn't working either.....uggg!! Felt like a 'swamp' person bucketing out water. Thank goodness the shore wasn't crowded.

mikeg205
06-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Oh BTW pictures of boat are required... ;) - best way to get help.

also - I would make sure bilge pump and auto-switch working well... in addition - exhaust could have a small leak...

based on your description - I bet it is something minor.

CAS
06-18-2013, 03:49 PM
I uploaded a pic when I registered and was wondering why it didn't show up. Any hints as to what i need to do. P.S. Thanks Lumbergh

thatsmrmastercraft
06-18-2013, 03:50 PM
Sometimes the bilge pump gets jammed with a little bilge crud. Try using a garden hose to backflush the pump. Put hose to bilge outlet and run a little water through it. Sometimes that is all that is wrong.

CAS
06-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Hmmm...just enabled the Avatar thingy. I'll see if that takes care of the problem.

CAS
06-18-2013, 04:00 PM
Thanks Peter, will try that. Will let you know if that works.

mastercraft1995
06-18-2013, 04:10 PM
My impeller seal was leaking one time check the screws for tightness. I think it has 4 screws to tighten.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-18-2013, 04:47 PM
Hmmm...just enabled the Avatar thingy. I'll see if that takes care of the problem.

Progress for the new guy! Next thing we will have pictures. :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Double D
06-18-2013, 04:48 PM
So, I'm recently divorced and took on our 1993 Prostar 205. My X did all the work and upkeep on her prior to us parting our ways. Now it's my responsibility. Getting to the point.....we were recently out for a 4 day lake vacation and I noticed that the boat was taking on a lot of water. It would fill the center locker and be above the plug within a 24 hour period. I plan on taking it in but would like to have some feedback. FYI....our boat has been maintained, garaged, babied, in almost perfect cosmetic condition and a few years back used almost exclusively for course skiing. I plan on preserving this. Any and all help greatly appreciated. :)

In have the 94 PS 205 and I also get water in the bilge. I cant say what 24 hours would be because mine never sits over night. But after a day on the lake and people getting in and out the water level is above the plug handle. So your not alone and we'll help where we can.

Lots of good suggestions already on this thread. I was thinking the shaft seal could be a possibility, but that area and the rudder area are all covered up while I am having fun, and I don't feel like screwing with my fun to see if I can find the leak.

The big problem for me is there is no good way to test these areas unless the boat is torn apart and in the water....

Let us know what you find out.

mikeg205
06-18-2013, 04:50 PM
Progress for the new guy! Next thing we will have pictures. :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

New Gal ;) :D

mcparadise
06-18-2013, 05:54 PM
Good job getting to the bottom of this! You are lucky that with a bilge pump not working in auto depending on the leak rate your boat could be sunk now. Don't leave it in the water over night until you fix it ;-)

east tx skier
06-19-2013, 05:39 PM
Check the drip rate on your shaft packing (under floor board behind motorbox). If the packing starts to go, they will let a good deal of water in.

But from the sounds of it, I'd bet muffler is cracked. They are cheap and easy to repair most of the time.

aquaman
06-19-2013, 05:48 PM
Your Ex would not have left the drain plug out ? :rolleyes:

adkskier
06-23-2013, 08:50 AM
Your Ex would not have left the drain plug out ? :rolleyes:

surprised no one else said it, did you make sure your drain plug was tight? had mine just a few quarters of a turn loose and it filled more than normal. figured out that it was the plug and the boats bilge is almost dry