PDA

View Full Version : Cleanest Lake?

j.robinson389
06-17-2013, 02:35 PM
I know this will start an all out war, (partially my intention) but what is the clearest lake water you have been in.

I live in SW Ohio and lakes like Ceasar's Creek are worthless once you have been to Kentucky and Tennessee's offerings.

I have spent quite a bit of time on Dale Hollow, Laurel Lake, and Norris with a little time on Cumberland. And although they are all nice, I think I have to give the award for clearest/cleanest lake to Laurel Lake. (that is of course if you can ignore the snakes and gators!) :D:D

What's your cleanest lake?

How do these compare to the lakes out west like Powell, Mead, Ozarks, Havasu, etc...

Nick911
06-17-2013, 02:38 PM
Shuswap Lake.

mzimme
06-17-2013, 02:38 PM
Ozarks is disgusting, it's not clean at all. Bull Shoals and Table Rock are pretty nice, however. Probably pretty gross compared to some of the lakes in the Southeast, however.

Powell seems to get a lot of love too out west.

Steamboat Lake out in the Rocky Mountains was pretty incredible... that's probably the cleanest I've been on.

neil.anderson63
06-17-2013, 02:42 PM
Tahoe wins in my book. Powell, Flaming Gorge, Tablerock are all pretty clean. But Tahoe is crystal clear.

Ironhorse
06-17-2013, 02:49 PM
Christina Lake BC hands down.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-17-2013, 02:52 PM
Too many to just pick one here in the land of 10,000 lakes.

...................all with absolutely no gators.

mzimme
06-17-2013, 02:55 PM
Too many to just pick one here in the land of 10,000 lakes.

...................all with absolutely no gators.

But... has the ice receeded yet? ;)

thatsmrmastercraft
06-17-2013, 03:03 PM
But... has the ice receeded yet? ;)

Just barely, that's why is so clean............it's covered most of the time. http://www.7thgenhonda.com/forum/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gif

mustangtexas
06-17-2013, 03:17 PM
In my teen years we lived in central Wisconsin for my dads work and had a cottage on Round Lake, part of the Waupaca Chain of Lakes. White sand lakes and drinking water clear. I have never seen anything close since. If you look at bing or google maps they are easy to pick out.

Craig
06-17-2013, 03:49 PM
Tahoe is the cleanest lake I have ever been on. It seemed almost unnatural when I first saw it. It even felt different on your skin, just beautiful.

It is also absolutely terrible for boating.

76S&S
06-17-2013, 04:13 PM
The cleanest I've been on in AL is Lake Martin. Just beautiful clear/clean water. It's also one of the busiest lakes I've been on. I boat on Lake Tuscaloosa which is nice, the water just isn't as nice as Martin.

jenglin
06-17-2013, 05:04 PM
Beaver Lake in Rogers AR is the cleanest one I've been on which isn't saying a whole lot.

Footin
06-17-2013, 05:09 PM
Crystal Lake in Michigan

CruisinGA
06-17-2013, 05:42 PM
You mean some of you guys can't see your toes when you're swimming in the lake? :D

I don't know if Lake Blue Ridge is the cleanest, but certainly one of the cleanest in the SE (along with the other North Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee Mountain lakes.)

I filled a water bottle with lake water and sat it in a cupholder. One of my friends on the boat started to drink from it. :D After a couple hours of sitting still, nothing settled out and the water was still clear like, well, bottled water.

When this is the river that fills the lake, you know it's going to be clean!
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/12/5d/26/toccoa-river.jpg

kwilkinson
06-17-2013, 05:42 PM
Flathead Lake or Whitefish Lake in North West Montana. Cold but CLEAN!!

bbymgr
06-17-2013, 05:54 PM
Torch Lake, Michigan. It's like the Caribbean.

jk13
06-17-2013, 05:57 PM
Crystal Lake in Michigan
And Torch Lake right next door:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=4160
Edit: Or yeah, what bbymgr said.
You mean some of you guys can't see your toes when you're swimming in the lake? :D

I can't see my toes in our local lake if the water is at my ankles.:( Stupid river tannin.

In my teen years we lived in central Wisconsin for my dads work and had a cottage on Round Lake, part of the Waupaca Chain of Lakes. White sand lakes and drinking water clear. I have never seen anything close since. If you look at bing or google maps they are easy to pick out.

Thanks for that. Lakes around Wausau and Stevens Point are like a really bad Bock beer. Normally we go north to my parents' place or the Minocqua chain. We will have to head east sometime.

lakeoz tristar
06-17-2013, 06:24 PM
[QUOTE=mzimme;947495]Ozarks is disgusting, it's not clean at all. Bull Shoals and Table Rock are pretty nice, however.
Its not that bad? Its not crystal clear and they shut some beaches down once in awhile from the run off..But ouch.. Too many boats out here on the weekends..

88 PS190
06-17-2013, 06:41 PM
Torch Lake, Michigan. It's like the Caribbean.

When it stays cold its fine, once warm - that darned swimmers itch.

Elks pretty nice - not as clean as it was maybe 5 years ago - too much development around the lake.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-17-2013, 07:01 PM
Definetly not my neck of the water, but this place is probably #1, iirc it's Croatia and been posted before.

j.robinson389
06-17-2013, 07:01 PM
I have heard of Torch lake, and it sure does seem beautiful. What causes the water to be such a blue color? White sand bottom?

To me the three lakes I have spent the most time on I would rank:
#1: Laurel River Lake
#2: Dale Hollow
#3: Norris

Norris is great for the fact of having easy house access and close to a major interstate, but on the other hand Corps of Engineers lakes like Laurel and Dale Hollow make it really nice to see virgin shoreline.

Astepatatime
06-17-2013, 07:04 PM
We boat on Smith Lake in Alabama (formal name Lewis Smith Lake). It's commonly referred to as the third cleanest lake (sometimes I hear fifth) in America.

I don't know where the list or rankings comes from. Might be urban myth. I believe the EPA does surveys. May have to do some Googling. There is no industry on the lake, which helps tremendously. Also pretty deep, with many areas running 150-275' in depth.

BWB-745-
06-17-2013, 07:22 PM
We boat on Smith Lake in Alabama (formal name Lewis Smith Lake). It's commonly referred to as the third cleanest lake (sometimes I hear fifth) in America.

I don't know where the list or rankings comes from. Might be urban myth. I believe the EPA does surveys. May have to do some Googling. There is no industry on the lake, which helps tremendously. Also pretty deep, with many areas running 150-275' in depth.

I'm on Smith as well and I've heard second cleanest. I don't know where it came from but I like repeating it :D

waterbug
06-17-2013, 07:55 PM
The chain of lakes I live on is pretty darn clean now. I can see bottom in over 20 feet of water. Thanks to our new lake lovers, ZEBRA MUSSELS. What a PITA. We now must wear shous in the shallow water or you will cut up your feet...

mbeach
06-17-2013, 08:03 PM
for me, it's tahoe. great water quality is due to a number of hydrogeological reasons but darn that lake is cold.

19_Skier
06-17-2013, 08:56 PM
I have heard of Torch lake, and it sure does seem beautiful. What causes the water to be such a blue color? White sand bottom?

Sounds like it is calcite/dolomite sands, surrounded by limestone perhaps?

Our lake (Davis Lake) is quite "clean" if we are talking clarity, but with all the cottages surrounding the lake I highly doubt you would want to drink it on a daily basis - that probably goes for most lakes in central Ontario cottage country.

88 PS190
06-17-2013, 09:45 PM
Unknown on the types of sand found around N.MI, but a large part of the beauty of Torch and Elk is that they both are DEEP, with large drop offs and lots of depth changes. So on good sunny clear days you see all sorts of different blues.

For MC ownership Torch is a nightmare, my 88 came off that lake, and I took a beating getting it down to the south end.

Lumbergh
06-17-2013, 10:34 PM
Lake Okanagan is pretty clear and clean, just cold!

mzimme
06-17-2013, 11:12 PM
Its not that bad? Its not crystal clear and they shut some beaches down once in awhile from the run off..But ouch.. Too many boats out here on the weekends..

It's pretty gross. I love the Ozarks, but that water is NOT clean. ;)

I mean seriously, the estrogen level of that lake is high because so many women pee in it. It took me a good hour of scrubbing to get the nasty water line off my boat after only being in the water for 2 days. It's a gross lake. Nothing wrong with the lake itself, it's just not clean.

StrmChzr
06-17-2013, 11:14 PM
Tahoe was the ultimate "see your toe nails clear" lake water. Learned to wake surf there which resulted in me buying my XStar a few years later. Loved the crystal clarity of Tahoes water but the wind chop and cold H20 temp was less than ideal.

Spent Father's Day weekend at my número UNO, Table Rock Lake. Anywhere on the white river, main channel, of TRL is >10' H20 visibility and rarely does it take more than a few minutes to find the flat water. Wishing I was Table Rockin'!

bjen
06-17-2013, 11:28 PM
Definetly not my neck of the water, but this place is probably #1, iirc it's Croatia and been posted before.

I was going to list a few BC lakes but that is an incredible picture, I think we have a winner.

lakeoz tristar
06-17-2013, 11:49 PM
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=96978&stc=1&d=1371510029Definetly not my neck of the water, but this place is probably #1, iirc it's Croatia and been posted before.

Is it just me or does it look like that boat is floating on air?..WOW amazing

Camusic X15
06-18-2013, 01:08 AM
Shuswap Lake in British Columbia. Big and clean! Great boating too.

TxsRiverRat
06-18-2013, 09:58 AM
We have the cleanest lake - here's a pic of it after a huge storm yesterday:

http://s22.postimg.org/ctuu7s29d/IMG_20130617_00805.jpg

http://s14.postimg.org/w7imp9j0x/IMG_20130617_00806.jpg

Table Rocker
06-18-2013, 10:01 AM
Tahoe was the ultimate "see your toe nails clear" lake water. Learned to wake surf there which resulted in me buying my XStar a few years later. Loved the crystal clarity of Tahoes water but the wind chop and cold H20 temp was less than ideal.

Spent Father's Day weekend at my número UNO, Table Rock Lake. Anywhere on the white river, main channel, of TRL is >10' H20 visibility and rarely does it take more than a few minutes to find the flat water. Wishing I was Table Rockin'!
Shhhh, be quiet.

Jason.H.
06-18-2013, 10:34 AM
Smith mountain lake, Virginia and a small lake close to that one called lake moomaw are the cleanest I have been on in a boat. I drove from nc to alaska a few years ago and passed some of the cleanest lakes I have ever seen in BC canada.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-18-2013, 10:39 AM

Don't you have trash cans in Texas?:rolleyes:

chriscraftmatt1976
06-18-2013, 11:17 AM
I live on a giant mud puddle, but 5 minutes away is Clark Lake, Mi. incredibly clear. If i dive that's where i go. easy 20 ft of visibility at moderate depth, as long as the lake isn't super busy.

chriscraftmatt1976
06-18-2013, 11:19 AM
[QUOTE=TxsRiverRat;947813]We have the cleanest lake - here's a pic of it after a huge storm yesterday:

Man, that's sad. People that i see litter in the lake get a stern talkin' to.

aremsing
06-18-2013, 11:38 AM
Higgins lake in Michigan or Torch, both about the same clarity

mikeg205
06-18-2013, 12:30 PM
Long Bow lake ontario - up by Medicmoose... going in a few weeks...

chriscraftmatt1976
06-18-2013, 12:35 PM
Higgins lake in Michigan or Torch, both about the same clarity

How about Mullet Lake? that one's pretty clear as well to my recollection...

TxsRiverRat
06-18-2013, 12:36 PM
[QUOTE=TxsRiverRat;947813]We have the cleanest lake - here's a pic of it after a huge storm yesterday:

Man, that's sad. People that i see litter in the lake get a stern talkin' to.

Our 2nd site is Ghetto, but when it's at the right level between storms, it skis sweet. Problem is, there are a ton of homeless folks in the area (I said it was ghetto didn't I?).....

All that trash you see comes from UP river but some comes from the immediate area...

VP46
06-18-2013, 12:37 PM
Meadow Lake......has to be one of the cleanest on record. Mostly Kayaks a coupld of Aluminum boats no SKI BOATS. Water is on the cold side but the views are pristine.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-kVT3HZTc77o/UcAeL_VNY_I/AAAAAAAAIgU/yLmL8ZI7XC8/w1049-h787-no/SANY0045.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-IA_g2rLKajk/UcAeL0FzgMI/AAAAAAAAIfw/YiNh3N1ppkQ/w1049-h787-no/SANY0061.JPG

aremsing
06-18-2013, 01:31 PM
How about Mullet Lake? that one's pretty clear as well to my recollection...

just looked it up, never been. That looks nice too. Problem with the up north lakes is they are always too cold

Phntmski
06-18-2013, 01:50 PM

Yes we do.... it's called the Trinity River. Disgusting. :mad:

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-18-2013, 03:02 PM

Yep, I was on the trinity this past Monday, pretty much all lakes, rivers in texas are not very clean, Canyon Lake is the "cleanest" one I've been on in TX.

TxsRiverRat
06-18-2013, 03:08 PM
And the pics I took didn't even begin to capture the mess... None of the branches, tires, and other debris was seen in those pics... we launched not thinking it was that bad and it just got worse and worse and worse... I loaded up and headed to the pther site, and skied in the east wind chop :(

thatsmrmastercraft
06-18-2013, 03:29 PM

Wow. :confused:

Kyle
06-18-2013, 05:37 PM
When you boat in Texas you are pretty much putting your boat into diarrhea. Everything is muddy and you have to wipe or should I say wash your boat after every use. This is another reason I wax my boat once a month. Seriously I wax 12 times a year used or not used. It will just make sure that the poo is easier to remove.

Rats pic is a little extreme and that site is why I will NOT ski there. I am afraid that the water will ruin my 3rd leg or rot it off. The Trinity is straight up nasty, has dead bodies, tires, trash everywhere, submerged pipe and all kinds of tree branches that make their way down from up stream.

Texas lakes are better than the river but still nasty.

The pic of the Xstar is ideal and would be compared to staying at a 5* hotel. Where we ski is more like staying at a rent the room by the hour and has the vibrating bed with the quarter machine attached, bed bugs and roaches on the floor.

I would love to boat on clear water just one time. Broken Bow and Possum Kingdom are the cleanest lakes that I have been on and they are still not clear.

88 PS190
06-18-2013, 07:02 PM

You have to tension up that mainline, those turn balls are all out of wack.

dog paw
06-18-2013, 08:34 PM
Lake Okanagan is pretty clear and clean, just cold!

Amen to that! It's creepy as all get out to see the ground disappear into a bottomless trench. Kootenay is a nice piece of water also. Been a few years back, we rode the sea doos from the inlet in Argenta to Kaslow and you could have counted the people we saw on the water on one hand.

Our home lake, "Anna" is a shallow overcrowded mudpit. Getting ready to head up to Winnipesaukee in NH. Winni is a super clean "cold" lake.

tnewton
06-18-2013, 09:10 PM
I live in Sturgeon Bay which is the thumb of Wisconsin. Put the boat in and drive east to Lake Michigan and west to Green Bay. Lake Michigan is nice and clear. It is also 50 degrees right now and normally has 2 to 5 footers daily! Green Bay isn't too bad and that is at a whopping 59 degrees right now!! Middle of June! Ridiculous! Don't own a dry suit so I need to start looking for a place in the middle of the United States. 80 degree stained water sounds really good right now! Getting too old for these winters and crazy cold waters! Can see bottom at 25 feet though. I heard scuba diving is great around all the ship wrecks. ha ha.

MikeyOrange88
06-18-2013, 09:25 PM
Mostly boat in rivers, St. Johns is a bit muddy sometimes and requires cleaning off a scumline of sorts. The creeks are 'blackwater' type due to the tannins, but clear and cooler. But Kingsley Lake, northeast Florida, is pretty clear and has a spring in it. A few years back when my buddy and I were were idling around the lake edge in about 7' of water, I heard a splash, turned around and my buddy was gone. I put the boat into neutral, and when he surfaced he had a twenty dollar bill in his hand. He seen it on the bottom, dove in, and got it.
During times of low rainfall, we've also been able to spot freshwater eels lying on the bottom against green vegetation, in 22' of water (in fishing boat with depth finder).

Ryan
06-19-2013, 10:31 PM
Hegen lake (MT). Before the August seaweed gets near the surface anyway.

I've gotten used to the midwest water. It's still cleaner than Elsinore in Aug (CA).

aremsing
06-20-2013, 09:12 AM
knew I had this picture somewhere.... Thank Higgins lake last summer

FlyHighorDie
06-20-2013, 11:17 AM
Just wanted to show off Glacier National Park. This is 20 Min from home. I cant wait to head up there this summer.

aremsing
06-21-2013, 07:48 AM
sorry, had bad luck loading yesterday....

GoneBoatN
06-21-2013, 11:49 AM
The clearest lake my body has ever been in is Crater Lake in OR.

The record clarity of Crater Lake was measured at a depth of 41 m (134 ft) in August 1994. The lake clarity is measured with a secchi disk, a black and white disk lowered into the water with a cable. Its exceptional clarity is mainly due to its isolation from streams and rivers. There is no incoming stream to bring any organic materials, sediments, or chemicals to pollute the lake, although natural plankton in the lake and wind-borne pollen have seasonal effects on water clarity. Particulate materials and chemicals are mainly introduced into the lake through precipitation and run-off of the calderal walls. The caldera wall is composed of volcanic rocks that do not react with or dissolve easily in cold water, although warm water escaping from the caldera floor adds a small amount of dissolved solids.

The clearest lake my boat has ever been in was Whiskeytown Lake in Northern CA.

GT500 MC
06-21-2013, 05:07 PM
knew I had this picture somewhere.... Thank Higgins lake last summer

x2 on Higgins. Grew up on this lake and have not been able to find any lake as clean in the past 30 years. Didn't know what I had as a kid.....

orbeamlb
06-22-2013, 09:17 AM

I guess the "Don't Mess With Texas" campaign doesn't apply there.

Lake Georgetown jut north of Austin is pretty clean and Lake Austin isn't bad either. Both are clear to lightly stained.

LaRue
06-22-2013, 10:27 AM
My vote is this gem up in Northern Minnesota.

Taken from DNR article..."The lake covers 1,659 acres with a maximum depth of 135 feet. Big Sand has been cited as being one of Minnesota's clearest lakes with water clarity readings occurring at 45 feet and averaging at 25 feet."

Some photos. The MB is my cousin's boat.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-22-2013, 10:49 AM
My vote is this gem up in Northern Minnesota.

Taken from DNR article..."The lake covers 1,659 acres with a maximum depth of 135 feet. Big Sand has been cited as being one of Minnesota's clearest lakes with water clarity readings occurring at 45 feet and averaging at 25 feet."

Some photos. The MB is my cousin's boat.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=97284&d=1371911191

Shhhhhhhhhh. Don't brag on our clean MN and WI lakes............all the southern guys will want to leave their mud-holes. Oh, wait.....just include a picture with snow or ice and we will keep things in line.:rolleyes:

LaRue
06-22-2013, 12:08 PM
Yes...out of 10,000 lakes in MN there is only one that is clean. And it is constantly overrun with watercraft. I'm not sure where the good water is but it is not up here.:cool:

mikeg205
06-22-2013, 02:48 PM
To get away you need to go further north to Ontario near medicmoose... northwest ontario... never really see too many boats.

76S&S
06-24-2013, 08:48 AM
Shhhhhhhhhh. Don't brag on our clean MN and WI lakes............all the southern guys will want to leave their mud-holes. Oh, wait.....just include a picture with snow or ice and we will keep things in line.:rolleyes:

yep, that does it for me, I'll stay in the south;)

LaRue
06-25-2013, 05:18 PM
then again, it seems God's favor rests on northern lakes as well as those in the south. (Not my photo)

thatsmrmastercraft
06-25-2013, 05:22 PM
then again, it seems God's favor rests on northern lakes as well as those in the south.
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=97501&stc=1&d=1372195080

Great picture!

trickskier
06-27-2013, 12:52 PM
Mostly boat in rivers, St. Johns is a bit muddy sometimes and requires cleaning off a scumline of sorts. The creeks are 'blackwater' type due to the tannins, but clear and cooler. But Kingsley Lake, northeast Florida, is pretty clear and has a spring in it. A few years back when my buddy and I were were idling around the lake edge in about 7' of water, I heard a splash, turned around and my buddy was gone. I put the boat into neutral, and when he surfaced he had a twenty dollar bill in his hand. He seen it on the bottom, dove in, and got it.
During times of low rainfall, we've also been able to spot freshwater eels lying on the bottom against green vegetation, in 22' of water (in fishing boat with depth finder).

I agree with Kingsley Lake - I boat there often!

SkiDog
06-27-2013, 02:08 PM
Kingsley, the worlds most perfectly round, nature made lake.

CruisinGA
06-27-2013, 02:18 PM
I would think that a round lake like that would make for some really rough water?

SKIBUMM
06-27-2013, 03:23 PM
Tahoe is good as well as flathead but the cleanest lake I ahve been on is bear lake in northern Utah/Southern Idaho. Water is crystal clear and cold. You always think I am in too shollow of water and you jump in and it's 15 feet deep.

Jerseydave
06-27-2013, 08:19 PM
Amen to that! It's creepy as all get out to see the ground disappear into a bottomless trench. Kootenay is a nice piece of water also. Been a few years back, we rode the sea doos from the inlet in Argenta to Kaslow and you could have counted the people we saw on the water on one hand.

Our home lake, "Anna" is a shallow overcrowded mudpit. Getting ready to head up to Winnipesaukee in NH. Winni is a super clean "cold" lake.

Winnipesaukee is a nice lake and very clean. We like vacationing up there too.
If I had my way, I'd split my time between there and a nice lake in FLA. Hey, I can dream right?