PDA

View Full Version : 1994 Maristar 225 VRS Project

Whalenjf
06-17-2013, 01:01 PM
Hi Guys,

Since my project is getting closer to completion I wanted to post it up on the forum since I found so much information from here throughout the entire process. This forum was invaluable throughout the whole process and I wanted to send out a huge thank you to everybody!!!

A little background info:
After college I moved into a house with a friend and this boat was shrink wrapped and parked on the property (6 acres). A couple months later I found out that the owner had "blown the engine up" 2 years prior and never got it fixed. About 6 months and numerous voice mails later he returned my phone calls and we met, agreed on a price, and the boat was mine. Bought it 11/26/12 looking like this....

Whalenjf
06-17-2013, 01:13 PM
So after buying it I towed it to my parents house (no garage at mine) and started tearing into. Found out that 2 rods had snapped in half and tried to escape out through the oil pan, so a rebuild was in order. After 2 months or more at the machine shop and a few snowboarding trips it was time to put the boat back together....

CC2MC
06-17-2013, 01:20 PM
Where in the SE are you located, or is it safe to assume VA by the boat reg number?

Whalenjf
06-17-2013, 01:31 PM
Work threw a kink into things by sending me out of town for 2+ months starting in February so the boat sat for a little while while my friend, who I bought the boat with, worked on assembling the engine starting with the newly rebuilt short block and reconditioned heads.

In March I got back from the first work trip and we found somebody who let us use their chain hoist/I-beam in their garage to put the engine back in. That went wayyy smoother than the tree limb method we used to remove it haha.

After the engine got re-installed I got sent out of town again for another month and the boat sat again before I got a chance to fire it up.

Whalenjf
06-17-2013, 01:32 PM
Where in the SE are you located, or is it safe to assume VA by the boat reg number?

Yup, I'm located right outside of Richmond, VA in Chesterfield County.

Whalenjf
06-17-2013, 01:56 PM
Once I got home in early May the rush to get the boat finished got kicked into high gear! We wanted to bring it to a lake trip the first weekend in June. New alternator, starter, fuel lines, fuel filter, air/water separator.... the list goes on and on! Had a few hiccups getting it going but it fired right up as soon as we realized the shut off valve was closed on the fuel line lol. Water tested it and broke the motor in for 8-10 hrs constantly varying the speed and RPM's.

Then the real fun began.... cleaning it. Ordered up a ton of stuff from Performance Boat Candy and went to town cleaning it over Memorial Day Weekend... my grandpa even stepped in to "show me how it's done" haha. He's restored 25+ classic cars throughout his life so he helped a lot! After buffing it we put new drip molded decals on both sides of the hull and the transom, unbolted and re-aligned the windshield due to a huge gap, cleaned the vinyl and conditioned it, and washed the trailer.

(I'm the red headed one with the gray shirt and the guy in yellow is my friend. We are the ones who bought it together.)

dboat
06-17-2013, 02:12 PM
Looks great! You did a lot of work and it shows, keep it up!

megapea
06-17-2013, 03:04 PM
What a fun looking project! It's nice to see an abandoned Mastercraft come back to life when literally left for dead! Keep up the hard work! This boat will pay you back with years of enjoyment, relaxation , and fun!

Whalenjf
06-17-2013, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys, it's much appreciated! I'm really looking forward to this summer!

We got it ready in time for the lake trip 2 weeks ago but once we got there we discovered a badly leaking transmission cooler line so it didn't get much use that weekend... just tied it off to the dock and stared at it while enjoying a few cold ones haha. The trans cooler lines got replaced in the next couple days after getting home and she's been out on the water at least 4 times since then! Runs great and that LT1 doesn't even hesitate with 12 people piled on the boat :cool:

Here's a few more pictures (since there's never enough....) haha.

aquaman
06-17-2013, 04:11 PM
Nice work on saving another MC from eternal storage.

She looks great.....

Whalenjf
06-17-2013, 09:40 PM
Nice work on saving another MC from eternal storage.

She looks great.....

Thanks!

Whalenjf
06-17-2013, 09:52 PM
I just ordered a Seadek faux teak swim platform pad today, hopefully that will round out the exterior work for awhile...

The hinges on these sunpads are so weak and brittle so I'm having my brother cut out a new hinge bracket from stainless. The new one will tie both sides together. He lasered out a cardboard template for a test fit and it fit great this afternoon. Should have the final product sometime this week :)

Whalenjf
06-20-2013, 09:12 AM
My brother finished the new hinge for me and it fits,looks, and works great! It's cut out of 3/16" stainless and TIG welded together.

Whalenjf
06-20-2013, 09:23 AM
Also, the ballast came in last week and is just waiting for a nice day to test it out. I got 2x750 bags for the v-drive compartments and 2x370 ski locker bags for the ski locker and front walkway. Rear bags probably won't be full when wakeboarding.

Any suggestions on bag placement for wakesurfing in this boat?? I'm thinking full 750 sack on port side with the full 370 locker sack but I'm not too sure where I should start on placement of the other 2 bags (if necessary). I'm hoping I can dial in a decent surf wake this weekend :)

hig
06-20-2013, 12:13 PM
Very nice progress. I'm basically doing the same thing and your thread has been encouraging and informational especially with the motor pics.

Great Job!!

Whalenjf
06-20-2013, 01:31 PM
Very nice progress. I'm basically doing the same thing and your thread has been encouraging and informational especially with the motor pics.

Great Job!!

Thanks! It's been a fun project, frustrating at times but overall it's great to know the boat inside and out. Plus the added satisfaction of knowing that you did all the work is pretty cool too :cool:

You went way more in depth on the cleaning than I did, after reading through your thread again now I want to rip out my interior and get to cleaning! haha. I'll see if I can dig up some good carnage pictures from the original motor... it was pretty bad. 2 snapped connecting rods punched a couple holes in the oil pan, then let the pistons hit the valves on a few cylinders, and to cap it off both rods wrapped themselves around the block on the bottom of the cylinder bores and took a small chunk out of the block.

MI_Corey
06-20-2013, 07:20 PM
Where did you get your Mastercraft side decals? I have a '93 Maristar 225 that needs new decals and I really like yours.

hig
06-21-2013, 06:39 AM
Thanks! It's been a fun project, frustrating at times but overall it's great to know the boat inside and out. Plus the added satisfaction of knowing that you did all the work is pretty cool too :cool:

You went way more in depth on the cleaning than I did, after reading through your thread again now I want to rip out my interior and get to cleaning! haha. I'll see if I can dig up some good carnage pictures from the original motor... it was pretty bad. 2 snapped connecting rods punched a couple holes in the oil pan, then let the pistons hit the valves on a few cylinders, and to cap it off both rods wrapped themselves around the block on the bottom of the cylinder bores and took a small chunk out of the block.

You mentioned about recleaning the interior, you've probably done it the right way - you cleaned it up some and USED it!! I guess my timeline is working out okay, I've been waiting on the machine shop, I should have the assembled short block back next week so I've had time to clean it up. It is nice to go thru the boat and see how things are assembled, if there's problems later on I should be able to fix it easier.

Once again, great job and ENJOY it!!

Whalenjf
06-21-2013, 09:03 AM
Where did you get your Mastercraft side decals? I have a '93 Maristar 225 that needs new decals and I really like yours.

I really like the look of them, the old decals just seemed way too small for the size of the boat. I got the decals from Waterskis.com, here's the links...

Side Domed Decals:
http://www.waterskis.com/MasterCraft-Domed-Decal-p/mastercraft_boats_domed_decal.htm

Transom Domed Decal:
http://www.waterskis.com/758451-p/mastercraft_boats_domed_trnsm.htm

SWGA Boater
06-21-2013, 12:23 PM
Boat looks great! Your hard work has really paid off.

Whalenjf
08-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Last week was a busy week for the boat, she got quite a few upgrades :D

New Parts:
- The new Seadek pad finally came in on Friday.
- Perfect Pass Stargazer GPS Wake Edition came in on Thursday.
- New OJ 532 Fusion 14.25" x 14.5" prop came in on Friday. (no pics unfortunately)
- Gas struts and latch came in on Thursday (I'm working on doing away with the electric ram after making new engine dividers to gain more room for ballast). And for anyone interested... the rivets seen in the picture did not hold lol. That aluminum cardboard is some thin stuff! My brother is currently making a different mount for it at work.

jsturvey
08-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Nice job on the boat, and good looking boat overall. That Seadek pad came out awesome! How did you go about having that made? Make a template and send it in, or did they already have a pattern for that boat?

Whalenjf
08-05-2013, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the compliments!

They already had a template for my boat but I didn't like the font that they used with the bubble around the MasterCraft logo, so I had them change it to the font you see above. It was well worth the money! It's very gentle on the feet yet it provides a ton of traction to prevent slipping on the swim platform.

Smarten
08-13-2013, 10:42 AM
WOW!!!! She is looking GREAT! I have the same boat and I love the hinge idea for the sun deck. I put my gas shocks on the outside edges and seem to have had pretty good luck with them there. Adding the latch this weekend. What did you make the engine compartment dividers out of. If the ones in my boat warp any more, I will be able to use them for a taco shell template.:) Also, how hard was the seadek pad to install? I've been considering one for a while now. It definately looks sharp.

carisch
08-13-2013, 02:41 PM
Nice work. I like your pattern on the Seadek much better than mine turned out. I'll have to dig up mine, to show a different option.

Great job overall.

steepndeep
08-14-2013, 06:43 AM
Congrats on a great project! I love the look of the platform!

Whalenjf
08-14-2013, 12:00 PM
WOW!!!! She is looking GREAT! I have the same boat and I love the hinge idea for the sun deck. I put my gas shocks on the outside edges and seem to have had pretty good luck with them there. Adding the latch this weekend. What did you make the engine compartment dividers out of. If the ones in my boat warp any more, I will be able to use them for a taco shell template.:) Also, how hard was the seadek pad to install? I've been considering one for a while now. It definately looks sharp.

The hinge came out great, I'm really happy with it since the old one was about to fall apart.

We were all set to mount the gas struts to the sides but at the last second we decided to keep them out of the way of loading stuff into the compartments while on the trailer.... and we were a little scared to drill into the fiberglass right there haha. Do you have a picture for reference of how you mounted your struts and latch? I'm hoping to do that before this weekend.

The engine dividers are made out of 3/4" PVC board that we reinforced with aluminum angle on the tops and bottom. We just traced the old dividers onto the PVC and cut them out. The old one looked like tacos as well! Everytime I would fill ballast they would pop out of the track and frustrate me :mad: New ones are rock solid!

The SeaDek pad was really easy to install, just make sure you have a clean surface and it'll take you 5 mins to stick it down. I watched the installation video a couple times beforehand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJY_6AitbDw

Thanks for the compliments!

Whalenjf
08-14-2013, 12:08 PM
Nice work. I like your pattern on the Seadek much better than mine turned out. I'll have to dig up mine, to show a different option.

Great job overall.

Carisch, I love the way your new interior turned out! That's probably going to be next winter's project for this boat. It's still all in one piece but a couple stitches are starting to pop :(

Congrats on a great project! I love the look of the platform!

Thanks, you have a great project going as well! Good luck on it.

Smarten
08-20-2013, 09:08 AM
Sorry it took so long to get some pics. Between the rain(:dance: ) and life in general, I finally got a few. I have a couple more of how the gas struts look that I will put up tonight. I had one of them pull out of the aluminum cardboard(imagine that:rolleyes:) but in the midst of my preperation for melt down:rant:, I thought about trying some drywall anchors. So far they work great!:D I put a pic of the ones I used. The do not poke through either. The hard part was the latch. I had to use a pair of channel lock pliers to crush the deck so I could get the mounting nut on the bottom. It took a bit because I didn't want to crush it too much. A little repair to the mesh underside of the deck left but otherwise, came out pretty good. I am planning on using a small block of wood to reinforce the seat back where the latch hits. Just in case. And, yes, the MC logo IS upside down on the seat back.:confused: The PO had some of the upholstry redone but a little old man here in town. When he was done, he installed it wrong. I figure it is easier for my wife and kids to read it as they lay out on the deck taking it easy:purplaugh

Whalenjf
08-21-2013, 08:38 AM
Smarten, thanks for the pictures that came out great! I know what you mean about the weather.... It's either been raining or overcast and 75 degrees. The girls wouldn't even get in the water this past weekend because it was too cold, but that just meant more surf time for me :D

We finally mounted the struts on Sunday and I'll have to get some pictures when I get back to the boat. We tig welded the strut mount brackets to a 5" circular plate with 8 mounting screws around the perimeter, it's rock solid now!

We still have to mount the latch, but I bought the pull cord style latch that mounts underneath the sunpad.

Traxx822
08-21-2013, 08:47 AM
You might have been able to salvage an actuator for the swim pad. I have same hull maristar and I have the actuator that lift is via button on dash and that held it down also.

Whalenjf
08-21-2013, 10:28 AM
You might have been able to salvage an actuator for the swim pad. I have same hull maristar and I have the actuator that lift is via button on dash and that held it down also.

We had the actuator on the sunpad but it took forever to open and close and we were always filling and emptying ballast in the v-drive lockers (surfing to wakeboarding and vice versa) and getting life jackets out when switching riders, so we decided to do away with the actuator and gain some room for more ballast :cool: It was cool at first but just got to be frustrating after awhile haha. No one else ever remembered how to open it or where the button was etc.

Smarten
08-21-2013, 11:27 PM
Whalenjf, I am anxious to see how you mounted those struts. I know you got yours in but here's how I put mine on the sides. I used the long struts so I could still reach over to load. What did you use to shine up the gel coat? I got mine pretty good with Meguire's but it didn't last. Did you start with wet sanding? Thanks for the help.
Scott

john jones
08-21-2013, 11:35 PM
I NEED that swim pad! Tell me what to do. Is it available in different colors?

Whalenjf
08-22-2013, 01:28 PM
Whalenjf, I am anxious to see how you mounted those struts. I know you got yours in but here's how I put mine on the sides. I used the long struts so I could still reach over to load. What did you use to shine up the gel coat? I got mine pretty good with Meguire's but it didn't last. Did you start with wet sanding? Thanks for the help.
Scott

My friend sent me a few pictures of how we mounted the struts. The dividers are also visible in the pictures, you can see how far in we moved them to get more room in the v-drive lockers. We still haven't found time to mount the latch though..... haha.

As for gel coat, it came out pretty well considering it looked like a chalkboard before haha. We started by wet sanding a few areas that had some scratches, ghosting from old decals, etc. Then we used a Porter Cable buffer and Performance Boat Candy products to compound polish and wax it. We used the extreme cut compound along with, the regular polish, and the polymer wax. I also use wipe it down with their speed gloss after most outings.

Whalenjf
08-22-2013, 01:34 PM
I NEED that swim pad! Tell me what to do. Is it available in different colors?

They will make it anyway you want it just give them a call. The 1st link shows the basic designs that they offer. 2nd link shows the different color options.

225 VRS Pattern: http://www.seadek.com/p-137-mastercraft-225-vrs.aspx

Colors available: http://www.seadek.com/c-92-color-guide.aspx

Traxx822
08-22-2013, 02:03 PM
We had the actuator on the sunpad but it took forever to open and close and we were always filling and emptying ballast in the v-drive lockers (surfing to wakeboarding and vice versa) and getting life jackets out when switching riders, so we decided to do away with the actuator and gain some room for more ballast :cool: It was cool at first but just got to be frustrating after awhile haha. No one else ever remembered how to open it or where the button was etc.

Surprised it was that much of an issue. I like the button. And don't find it a burden at all. I kind of like people not being able to go in and out of there at their pleasure.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Smarten
08-22-2013, 02:21 PM
Looks pretty slick! You weren't kidding about moving the dividers closer to the engine:shocked: The PVC doesn't get too warm that close? It would be nice to have the extra room back there. Thanks for the info on the gel coat. I'll give it a try.

CC2MC
08-23-2013, 03:21 PM
Impressive. Everything is looking great! That Seadeck really changes the look of the swim platform for the better. It looks like you have a little discoloration on some of the vinyl. If you wanted a fix for that, you could get some vinyl dye. If you plan on getting the interior redone next year, then I might not worry about it, but the dye is supposed to be a good way to prolong the look of the vinyl. Keep up the inspiration.

BTW, what impresses me more than the job itself is the fact that you are doing this as a married man with kids. Kudos, bc I couldn't make that happen without all of this taking me two years or more to get where you are now.

Whalenjf
09-03-2013, 01:18 PM
Sorry guys, just got back from my lake vacation on Buggs Island since August 23rd :dance:

Surprised it was that much of an issue. I like the button. And don't find it a burden at all. I kind of like people not being able to go in and out of there at their pleasure.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

To be honest, if we hadn't remade the engine dividers we probably would have left it alone, we tend to tinker too much and try to over-improve stuff that probably didn't need fixing in the first place haha.

Looks pretty slick! You weren't kidding about moving the dividers closer to the engine:shocked: The PVC doesn't get too warm that close? It would be nice to have the extra room back there. Thanks for the info on the gel coat. I'll give it a try.

They get a little warm to the touch, but not any warmer than anything else back in that area.

Impressive. Everything is looking great! That Seadeck really changes the look of the swim platform for the better. It looks like you have a little discoloration on some of the vinyl. If you wanted a fix for that, you could get some vinyl dye. If you plan on getting the interior redone next year, then I might not worry about it, but the dye is supposed to be a good way to prolong the look of the vinyl. Keep up the inspiration.

BTW, what impresses me more than the job itself is the fact that you are doing this as a married man with kids. Kudos, bc I couldn't make that happen without all of this taking me two years or more to get where you are now.

Thanks for the compliments! That's a good thought about the vinyl dye but I think we're just going to live with it for one more season and then get the interior replaced. The previous owner didn't take very good care of the vinyl and it's a little crunchy in a few areas and some threads are starting to pop along wiith some vinyl starting to tear :(

While I'd love to take credit for doing this with a wife and kids, it's quite the opposite haha. I'll be 27 this weekend and I'm single (long term gf though) with no kids. I'm trying to get all my toys established before the wife and kids!

My best friend and I went in together to fix this boat up since whenever we ride we're usually both on the boat, and we both hate paying full price for anything. We've wrenched on plenty of LT1's and LS1's in cars and trucks to have some spare parts laying around to make the boat rebuild a little easier too.

Whalenjf
12-27-2013, 11:34 AM
Well, winter is upon us and the boat has been winterized for a little while by now so that means time to start ordering parts haha. The big ticket item was the new cover from Brent at Cover Sports and it was well worth the money! He worked with me to get it fitted to the tower correctly and I finally have the finished product :D It's beautiful! I still need to adjust it properly to get the small wrinkles out, and cut the rear straps to length. I threw it on quickly because it was getting ready to rain the other day.

A few other items you can see are the new guide pole covers and spare tire cover.

mikeg205
12-27-2013, 11:44 AM
Well, winter is upon us and the boat has been winterized for a little while by now so that means time to start ordering parts haha. The big ticket item was the new cover from Brent at Cover Sports and it was well worth the money! He worked with me to get it fitted to the tower correctly and I finally have the finished product :D It's beautiful! I still need to adjust it properly to get the small wrinkles out, and cut the rear straps to length. I threw it on quickly because it was getting ready to rain the other day.

A few other items you can see are the new guide pole covers and spare tire cover.

Do I spy open water??? ;)

thatsmrmastercraft
12-27-2013, 11:50 AM

Open water and today's forecast is for sun and 52 degrees with a 5 mph breeze.:dance:

This is a great thread. Love the story and the great progress. :toast:

Whalenjf
12-27-2013, 12:04 PM

You are correct, and there's a concrete boat ramp in the middle of the yard too haha. I live on the upper section of the James River, about a 3-4 mile stretch of usable river. Great for weekday after work sets but it's narrow and the water level is kind of shallow, normal is 9-12 feet in the center. Unfortunately, we're also surrounded by super rich people (not us haha) who all take their brand new Malibus, Mastercrafts, Nautiques and tow their kids back and forth all weekend on tubes and destroy the water :rolleyes:

Whalenjf
12-27-2013, 12:24 PM
Open water and today's forecast is for sun and 52 degrees with a 5 mph breeze.:dance:

This is a great thread. Love the story and the great progress. :toast:

Haha the only thing happening with the boat when it's 52 degrees is possible cleaning... and that's not even guaranteed.

Thanks for the kind words, It's a never ending project but it keeps us busy!

thatsmrmastercraft
12-27-2013, 12:46 PM
Haha the only thing happening with the boat when it's 52 degrees is possible cleaning... and that's not even guaranteed.

Thanks for the kind words, It's a never ending project but it keeps us busy!

52 degrees is nice shorts and a sweatshirt weather. I guess we view temps a little different in my part of the world. Warm day here today.........supposed to hit 36 degrees. I'm headed out to the garage to work on the snowmobile. Probably be wearing jeans and a sweatshirt. :)

Whalenjf
12-27-2013, 03:08 PM
52 degrees is nice shorts and a sweatshirt weather. I guess we view temps a little different in my part of the world. Warm day here today.........supposed to hit 36 degrees. I'm headed out to the garage to work on the snowmobile. Probably be wearing jeans and a sweatshirt. :)

Haha, I just got home last night from Christmas in Connecticut, still nothing compared to where you are though, so 52 is nice. I've been away from the north for too long, I'm becoming a wuss when it comes to cold weather :o

bsloop
12-27-2013, 05:20 PM
Cover looks nice.
If the boat is stored outside and it is a year round cover, I would not have cut out the swim platform. Debris can collect there not to mention sun fade and degradation of seadek.

A center pole may also be necessary. I see you are "south" but any snow load will stretch the center creating a low spot.
If there is a low spot for any reason; water will pool and drain to the interior below. Mildew will not be far behind and you will be starting one of those "I cant get the black spots off my vinyl" threads. FWIW.

Whalenjf
12-30-2013, 09:10 AM
Cover looks nice.
If the boat is stored outside and it is a year round cover, I would not have cut out the swim platform. Debris can collect there not to mention sun fade and degradation of seadek.

A center pole may also be necessary. I see you are "south" but any snow load will stretch the center creating a low spot.
If there is a low spot for any reason; water will pool and drain to the interior below. Mildew will not be far behind and you will be starting one of those "I cant get the black spots off my vinyl" threads. FWIW.

I agree about cutting out the rear swim platform, but that is just how he does his covers. I think it is mainly for access to the rear tension straps. We may try to make something to cover up that area when it sits outside.

If we do get any snow this year I'll jump in there and use something to prop the center up, but I also have a big 20'x30' tarp that goes over the tower and covers the whole trailer too in case of a bad storm.

I'm hoping to be closing on a house in the next month and I'm going to put up a pole barn for the boat to keep it out of the elements until I can build my shop in a few years :headbang:

Thanks for looking out!

Cloaked
12-30-2013, 09:18 AM
I'm hoping to be closing on a house in the next month and I'm going to put up a pole barn for the boat to keep it out of the elements until I can build by shop in a few years :headbang:

Thanks for looking out!Ticket!