PDA

View Full Version : 2002 X30 bellhousing explosion

houtexX30
06-17-2013, 08:16 AM
Soo... After a pretty decent evening/night on the water this past saturday, we were headed back to the ramp, cruising at about 25mph in open water when I heard a boom from the engine compartment. I immediately shut it down, and turned off the key. Went to turn it back on and nothing.... Long story short, after poking around I noticed the starter wire was severed in half. Stripped the 2 ends, put it back together and turned the key back on. We had power again but when i turned the motor over i heard a really loud whining noise coming from the motor. (it also sliced the wet exhaust hose port side) After further inspection, i realized a part of the bellhousing (between the motor and tranny) had a rather large hole in it. Good night turned really bad quickly. Anyways, I know that something inside the housing has failed and possibly a piece of debris shot out the side of the housing.. Im pretty sure all thats in there is the flywheel and starter gear. We are going to tear into it and find out but I just want to know if anybody has ever heard of or seen this happen. And how would we get the parts ect... Pics will follow and any help/ideas is much appreciated

houtexX30
06-17-2013, 08:38 AM
the first 2 pics are looking from under the rear middle seat, near the port side of the tranny.. The 2nd 2 are looking from above and the last a the piece of shrapnel i found in the bilge area.... The first 2 are also upside down.. my bad

Legolamb
06-17-2013, 08:44 AM
Damper plate is located in there as well, bolted to the fly wheel. Could be a spring failure on the plate, or a bolt failure in either the plate or fly wheel.

houtexX30
06-17-2013, 08:45 AM
We have already considered the bolt failure scenario.. Either one might have backed out or the head has sheared off??

munkymush
06-17-2013, 06:22 PM
I had a 2004 x2 that developed a slight ticking noise at idle, on checking around I heard they had had a few damper plates breakup and sort of explode in the bell housing causing the sort of damage you have..i swapped my drive plate at 100 hours just to eliminate this happening and fit an upgraded drive plate .

bigmac
06-17-2013, 07:05 PM
Sounds like your damper plate broke and the pieces trashed your bell housing. Not terribly uncommon. Try pulling your starter and see if you can fish some of the damper plate pieces out of there.

houtexX30
06-18-2013, 10:06 AM
Sounds like your damper plate broke and the pieces trashed your bell housing. Not terribly uncommon. Try pulling your starter and see if you can fish some of the damper plate pieces out of there.

This may be a dumb question by why would there be a need to do that if I'm gonna have to pull the tranny out anyways to replace whatever's broken and the bellhousing? Also, does anyone know where I need to start looking to find the parts? Summer just started you know.....:mad::mad:

bigmac
06-18-2013, 10:22 AM
This may be a dumb question by why would there be a need to do that if I'm gonna have to pull the tranny out anyways to replace whatever's broken and the bellhousing? Also, does anyone know where I need to start looking to find the parts? Summer just started you know.....:mad::mad:

Yeah, good point. Obviously you have to replace the bell housing. The pulling-the-starter thing was my knee-jerk diagnostic maneuver for blown flex plate. Didn't process your OP completely.

Table Rocker
06-18-2013, 10:34 AM
inboardonline.com has the bell housing for $275.56

Legolamb
06-19-2013, 07:10 AM
Ebay for your damper plate, and local auto parts store for ring gear bolts (hardened bolts) if needed.

houtexX30
07-01-2013, 10:24 AM
So after getting the tranny out, this is what we found. This does not seem very normal and could have potentially been a very dangerous situation. The entire bottom of the bellhousing has been sliced through by the missing "blade" from the damper plate. Good thing it went through the bottom and not the top!!

Will add pics once the site is fixed......

houtexX30
07-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Ok, so since the pics will now upload I figured I'd share these. Like I stated before, it seems like we got lucky as this could've ended very badly had the damper decided to exit the bell housing through the top.

jsturvey
07-29-2013, 09:39 PM
I may have to do something similar to 1998 Maristar 225. (Same hull as yours) While on the lake yesterday I heard an odd sound come from the back of the boat. Upon investigating my bilge this evening, I found a piece of a spring that I can only assume came from the drive dampner. Taking it to the shop tomorrow.

FrankSchwab
07-29-2013, 10:53 PM
Ok, so since the pics will now upload I figured I'd share these. Like I stated before, it seems like we got lucky as this could've ended very badly had the damper decided to exit the bell housing through the top.

Holy crap! I think I'd need to sit down and drink something after seeing that on my engine.

TOO-TALL
07-29-2013, 11:14 PM
WOW!!! My plate started to get loud also then my motor blew,so I replaced it when I had my motor out.

houtexX30
08-05-2013, 10:21 AM
Holy crap! I think I'd need to sit down and drink something after seeing that on my engine.

TRUST ME I sat down and drank ALOT..lol It happened at about 12:30am, with a boatload of people, about 5 minutes from the ramp. We had plenty of time to reflect on it while we were waiting on the towboat service. $187 for a 20 minute tow and that included the guy pushing our boat onto the trailer. After I paid him (of course) he proceeded to tell me that TowBoat US has a membership deal thats ~$65 a year which includes 3 tows........yeah had some drinks after that also...

D-BAY Runner
08-08-2013, 11:55 AM
There is an updated dampner plate with sealed springs. Make sure you get the new one. Not the old style that broke. Seen these fail alot once MC went to splined shafts. Seams like the splined shaft cause some bad vibes if the motor alignment isn't perfect. Also check the couple on the front of the shaft. The face of the coupler have been getting chewed up pretty bad as well. Look at the 1/8 lip on the inside of the coupler. It should have a nice sharp edge to it. Not rounded off or any grooves to the raised lip on the inside of the coupler that faces the tranny. Mike

jsturvey
08-12-2013, 12:05 AM
There is an updated dampner plate with sealed springs. Make sure you get the new one. Not the old style that broke. Seen these fail alot once MC went to splined shafts. Seams like the splined shaft cause some bad vibes if the motor alignment isn't perfect. Also check the couple on the front of the shaft. The face of the coupler have been getting chewed up pretty bad as well. Look at the 1/8 lip on the inside of the coupler. It should have a nice sharp edge to it. Not rounded off or any grooves to the raised lip on the inside of the coupler that faces the tranny. Mike

I think TSR will be installing that updated dampner plate in my boat. At least they mentioned it when that called to give me a status update. I'll know in a couple days.

houtexX30
08-12-2013, 10:12 AM

We put this one in:
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R140019

It made a huge difference. We also put in a dripless shaft seal and new strut bearings. The boat runs awesome. I didn't really pay attention to the shaft coupler but the old packing nut had been worn down pretty bad on one side so I know our alignment was way off. Also, I noticed when we pulled the tranny out, it was missing the nut on the motor mount on one side. The one that clamps the motor mount shaft to the tranny itself. Not sure how that was missing but im sure it was causing excessive vibration to the whole assembly. What a difference that damper makes....not even the slightest "clunk" or any kind of noise when you shift it in gear. All in, the repair, and upgrade to the dripless, cost ~$900.00 including having our prop re-worked. We did it all ourself. Yesterday was our first day out.....so glad to be back on the water..