PDA

View Full Version : Transom Drain Plug

ski_king
09-05-2004, 12:18 PM
My 82 has 2 drain plugs. The big one in the bilge and a second one in the transom. It is located near center and is 1/2 in.

Looking at the transom pictures on this site, it appears to be a feature that is not on the newer boats.
I find this plug to be a big plus, when pulling the boat out, I remove the plug while sitting on the ramp as I wipe down the boat and get all the water out real quick. I have found the the bilge drain plug never does get all the water out.

What boats have the transom plug, and what boat do nt have it?

lakes Rick
09-05-2004, 02:44 PM
My 94 Maristar 225 has the bilge plug .. Too many nooks and crannies to have only one plug . I can never get all the water out of the boat after boating. I have to leave the engine cover open to air dry. I noticed the newer Maristars have a transom plug AND the bilge drain.. I suppose I could add one ( are you sure yours isn't an add on??) but I just hate drilling holes in a boat, fiberglass, and especially the transom.......

Tom023
09-05-2004, 03:52 PM
I have both on my X30 and never use the transom plug except when changing the oil. All the water drains out the bilge, except the forward ski locker compartment, but that is a different issue all together. My 2001 X30 has a dash indicator that tells me when the transome plug is out, it would have been better if it was the bilge plug. And try to find a replacement for that plug with a sensor, it's next to impossible.

Michael Epp
09-07-2004, 01:45 AM
Why is the centre bilge pump not located at the bottom of the hull? It is impossible to drain all the water while the boat is in a marina for an extended time. Seems like a design flaw. Also, water won't drain from the centre ballast locker (04 X-10). My dealer drilled a hole near the bottom of the locker so water will drain into the centre bilge area. But since the bilge pump is not at he bottom water simply collects until the boat is on the trailer. Any thoughts on this?

H20skeefreek
09-07-2004, 09:40 AM
My 82 has 2 drain plugs. The big one in the bilge and a second one in the transom. It is located near center and is 1/2 in.

Looking at the transom pictures on this site, it appears to be a feature that is not on the newer boats.
I find this plug to be a big plus, when pulling the boat out, I remove the plug while sitting on the ramp as I wipe down the boat and get all the water out real quick. I have found the the bilge drain plug never does get all the water out.

What boats have the transom plug, and what boat do nt have it?

I think this is an add-on to your boat. I haven't seen any 80's boats with one, but i've been thinking of adding one.

ski_king
09-07-2004, 09:58 AM
My boat came from the factory with the transom plug. I have had since new and watched it being unloaded from the truck. It has always been there.

It goes in from the outside.

The ONE time I forgot to put it in, by the time I noticed it, I had enough water in the boat to have the swim platform about 4 inches under water. I had to lay on the platform, fully dressed to reach the drain with the plug, then I dropped it........

causewayskiier
09-07-2004, 05:11 PM
I had a transom plug added to my PS 205, I love the feature, its the only way to get all of the water out of the boat.

ski_king
09-08-2004, 09:06 AM
Not my boat, but a good picture of a early 80's transom plug.

NeilM
09-08-2004, 11:59 AM
Why is the centre bilge pump not located at the bottom of the hull? It is impossible to drain all the water while the boat is in a marina for an extended time. Seems like a design flaw. Also, water won't drain from the centre ballast locker (04 X-10). My dealer drilled a hole near the bottom of the locker so water will drain into the centre bilge area. But since the bilge pump is not at he bottom water simply collects until the boat is on the trailer. Any thoughts on this?
Michael, it's the same with my MariStar. There has to be a LOT of water in the boat before the bilge pump can extract it. While in the marina or at the end of a day trip, I just suck the front locker (and bilge, if at the marina) dry with a wet/dry vac while I'm vacuuming the carpet... It is kinda crazy that they mount the bilge pumps on a raised platform - must be some kind of conspiracy because every fiberglass boat I've ever owned has had the bilge pump screwed onto a raised platform..

Leroy
09-08-2004, 01:22 PM
My Maristar has the transom and mid drain plug, have never used the transome plug as the center drops out all the water pretty well. I just wish the center plug had the warning also! Only the transome plug has the warning sensor.

paulphillipson
09-08-2004, 09:10 PM
We must all have plug horror storie, but the sure way to remember to put the plug in is to drill a hole in the handle, tie a loop of 2mm nylon rope to it and hang it on the steering wheel. When it hits your knee, you'll remember. A friend just picked up an '81 S&S powerslot, and a prior owner drilled a 1/2" hole in the transom and used a rubber expansion plug from an I/O. Anyone know where to find a brass/bronze plug and housing?

H20skeefreek
09-08-2004, 09:12 PM
We must all have plug horror storie, but the sure way to remember to put the plug in is to drill a hole in the handle, tie a loop of 2mm nylon rope to it and hang it on the steering wheel. When it hits your knee, you'll remember. A friend just picked up an '81 S&S powerslot, and a prior owner drilled a 1/2" hole in the transom and used a rubber expansion plug from an I/O. Anyone know where to find a brass/bronze plug and housing?

West Marine

fletch_n_me
09-08-2004, 09:34 PM
Ps Tom, Wa-hoo! Wa-hoo!

H20skeefreek
09-08-2004, 09:54 PM
Ps Tom, Wa-hoo! Wa-hoo!

never mind

paulphillipson
09-10-2004, 02:54 PM
Thanks, H20

aprgriggs
09-10-2004, 03:33 PM

I had a hole added to my compartment and then added a plug. Keeps major leaks from flooding to the rear but lets me dry up my boat. Never had any problems with bilge pump except for going out. Good Luck