PDA

View Full Version : 2009 X15 Tower - Cannot Lower

Ripple
06-15-2013, 05:02 PM
Purchased a used 2009 X15 and I cannot get the tower down. I was able to find some instructions from older posts, however I am running into trouble disengaging the connection at the clamshell coupling. I posted a few pictures and I'm hoping for some extra guidance. There is an allen set screw at the bottom of the coupling - does this need to be removed? (see picture). Very surprised this is not covered in the owners manual.

treiter
06-15-2013, 07:27 PM
Just move the Bimini Pole out of the way and the entire clamshell will hang down out of the way. Once it's out of the way you need to remove the front black handled bolt at the base of the tower and loosen the rear one. Both sides of course. Should be good to go. Hang on to that sucker it's heavy when you fold it down. Hope you enjoy your new boat. I have the same one. Great all around boat.

Aric'sX15
06-15-2013, 07:30 PM
Move your Bimini and Knock it off. You won't be able to fold it down with the Bimini booted down. Remove the two black screws on the base of the bottom of the tower by the racks, one on each side of the boat that are closest to the bow.

Ripple
06-15-2013, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the tips. I will give it a try tomorrow.

2RLAKE
06-16-2013, 09:05 AM
Once that clamshell coupler is loose the tower should come apart. I have one side that does stick ... You might have to get a flat blade screwdriver and gently disengage to two legs

Ripple
06-16-2013, 12:10 PM
Mission accomplished. Did not realize the clamshell coupler comes off the top and bottom. Once we did that the tower came down without issue.

Seems like a lot of weight on the speakers and the rear transom cushions. I assume laying the tower on the transom is okay, as long as it is not for an extended period of time. Yes/no?

Thanks again for your comments. You guys rock!

treiter
06-16-2013, 02:13 PM
I always lay the tower on a ticking g blanket

treiter
06-16-2013, 02:16 PM
Try again. I always lay mine on a thick moving blanket so the foam on the deck doesn't get compressed from the pressure points. I only lay it down when moving out of the garage (that I built with too lie of a door, but that's another story). Don't forget about the wire harnesses I have scratched my head a few times and then realized what I forgot. Enjoy.

texasjet
06-16-2013, 07:55 PM
As mentioned always good to lay the tower on something. On our 2008 x30 the speakers rested on the back deck and would have caused lasting speaker impressions. We would sit a small hardside cooler in the walkway and rest the tower on it.

Ripple
06-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Excellent suggestions. Thanks.

We are looking at rigging a support from the roof beams of the boat dock. This would keep the tower suspended a few inches off the back deck and keep the weight off the foam to prevent the indentations. Unfortunately we did not have the walkway between the foam cushions, if so the cooler idea would be ideal.

I will take pics if/when we rig a support.

Red 08 Xstar
07-24-2013, 12:51 PM
Excellent suggestions. Thanks.

We are looking at rigging a support from the roof beams of the boat dock. This would keep the tower suspended a few inches off the back deck and keep the weight off the foam to prevent the indentations. Unfortunately we did not have the walkway between the foam cushions, if so the cooler idea would be ideal.

I will take pics if/when we rig a support.

I screwed an 89 cent j-hook into my garage ceiling and use a short peice of rope looped around the tower light to hold it up.

onewheat
07-25-2013, 12:59 AM
This is what I did in the garage - a couple of eye screws in the joists in the garage, suspended the tower with a couple of tie down straps - allows the cover to go on and keeps the cushions cushy! :D Also a piece of PVC across the front to support the front tower legs. This same setup could be done on a dock as well.

Baszy
09-17-2013, 10:39 PM
To fit in my hoist I need the tower down every time :( I built a support the carries all the weight of the tower on the support walls. Only downside is the motor hatch cover is partially up. But that also let's water dry out :) I will try to post photos ASAP.