PDA

View Full Version : Impeller: How Tight?

The Governor
10-05-2005, 07:08 PM
How tight is the impeller supposed to be in the housing? This my first time swapping it out, and the old one is SHREDDED! :D

Thanks!

Gov :toast:

AirJunky
10-05-2005, 07:14 PM
Very!
You'll have to sort of spin the new one into the housing.

NatesGr8
10-05-2005, 07:45 PM
mine is always an absolute pita to get in and out. but yes, you definately need to spin and push it in, also soap and water helps too. good luck.

erkoehler
10-05-2005, 07:51 PM
Make sure you lube the inside spline so that you can get it out easy when the time comes.

AirJunky
10-05-2005, 08:01 PM
Make sure you lube the inside spline so that you can get it out easy when the time comes.
Be carefull what you lube it with. Anything petroleum based will literally eat at the rubber. I've even been told to stay away from the food grade silicon that has been recommended previously.

The Governor
10-06-2005, 08:44 AM
Well, I got it in just by spinning it.

I'm off to the lake! :dance:

Thanks for everyone's help/advice!!!

X-45
10-06-2005, 10:46 AM

I've always used motor oil to lube the impeller. But have heard on this board not to use it. Question what should I use. :confused:

bigmac
10-06-2005, 10:48 AM
I've always used motor oil to lube the impeller. But have heard on this board not to use it. Question what should I use. :confused:Dishwashing detergent or the same stuff you use to get your foot into your ski bindings.

X-45
10-06-2005, 10:53 AM
oh :uglyhamme

east tx skier
10-06-2005, 11:21 AM
Glycerol water-based lubricant.

starman205
10-06-2005, 11:24 AM
I use the liguid soap, the same stuff that I use to get my feet into my bindings. :wavey:

east tx skier
10-06-2005, 11:36 AM
That works fine, too. I just mentioned the glycerol because overtons will send a tube of it with the new impeller.

bigmac
10-06-2005, 12:09 PM
Be carefull what you lube it with. Anything petroleum based will literally eat at the rubber. I've even been told to stay away from the food grade silicon that has been recommended previously.

Certainly that's true - petroleum eats rubber. It's interesting that for winterization, MasterCraft recommends coating the thing with Vasoline and putting it in a plastic bag for the winter. Maybe trying to sell more impellers? :)

lakes Rick
10-06-2005, 12:15 PM
I have lubed the metal shaft area with Lubriplate and it is still a PITA to remove each time.. I usually end up taking the whole pump off ( V-drive) and it seems to pry out easy when on my workbench.. Really ticks me off after spending hours trying to get it out on the boat...

BIGBADBLUE
10-06-2005, 12:24 PM
This is interesting and informative. I have always used a little bearing grease on my '94205 and have had no issues. The grease is not on the impeller for very long, but I guess this make more sense to use binding lube. I will try this in the spring.

Vice grips to remove and a lot of sweat!!! If you could just fold down the pylon temporarily it would save my knuckles a lot of grief. :)

Thrall
10-06-2005, 12:41 PM
I can see not using a petrolem oil or grease on the rubber itself. I just use a little shampoo/dishsoap (whatever happens to be in the binding lube bottle) to lube the impeller vanes when spinning them in. I've put some anti seize on the splines, and it seems to work fine. Had the last impeller in for a year and no deterioration.

OhioProstar
10-06-2005, 01:20 PM
I just use a little shampoo/dishsoap (whatever happens to be in the binding lube bottle) to lube the impeller vanes when spinning them in. Had the last impeller in for a year and no deterioration.

Same here. I bent two flat head screw drivers at their tips and it makes removal a breeze.

BIGBADBLUE
10-06-2005, 01:35 PM
Ohio - Always wanted to try the flat tip screw driver but wooried about scratching the inside of the pump. Have you had any issues with that. This is good stuff.

Last Saturday hurt, huh?

AirJunky
10-06-2005, 01:37 PM
A pair of needle nose pliers have always made it an easy job for me.......... oh, but I removed the knuckle bustin, ball blastin, knee knockin pylon a long time ago so I might have an advantage.

Footin
10-06-2005, 01:42 PM
A pair of needle nose pliers have always made it an easy job for me.......... oh, but I removed the knuckle bustin, ball blastin, knee knockin pylon a long time ago so I might have an advantage.

Ok, now tell us if you really miss the old pylon.

:toast:

AirJunky
10-06-2005, 01:52 PM
Ok, now tell us if you really miss the old pylon.

:toast:
Hehehe, yea, hate it. I yanked the cheezy cupholders off the engine cover too. And then mounted a cloth padded caddy on the front of the engine cover that is good for drinks, car keys, cell phones, etc.
If anyone wants to ski now, they get pulled off the back. I've had a grand total of 2 people in 5 yrs do it. Foil riders, boarders & footers get pulled from up high. Tubers go to &%&$ :headbang:

east tx skier
10-06-2005, 01:55 PM
Since this hasn't been mentioned, as for getting it out easier, try squirting your lube of choice all around the impeller. Then, pull the kill switch and, with the cover plate still off, crank the engine for a few seconds. This will really get the lube moved around and make the impeller easier to get out (in theory).

Upper Michigan Prostar190
10-06-2005, 02:13 PM
so how often are you supposed to change impellors?

only when the engine temp rises? or what?

also, my owner manual doesnt say anything about removing the impellor for winterization.....Are you supposed to take it out? :confused:

east tx skier
10-06-2005, 02:24 PM
I put a new one in every spring. Very cheap insurance.

If you do not plan to change it in the spring, you should remove it as the vanes can become warped from remaining in one position for extended periods. Since I replace mine in the spring, and want to run my boat one the hose about once a month, I leave it in.

BIGBADBLUE
10-06-2005, 02:24 PM
I leave mine in for the winter but I winterize mine with antifreeze. I change my impeller every spring.

Footin
10-06-2005, 02:29 PM
I do not take mine out for the winter, however, I do install a new one every spring. It's cheap insurance. If you wait until the boat starts to run hot it may be to late. What if someone else is driving and not paying attention to the gauges like you do and overheats it?

AirJunky
10-06-2005, 02:29 PM
I leave mine in all winter because I'll use the boat from time to time during the winter. Come spring time, I'll tune the boat up & replace the impeller. Plus I always have one in the glovebox for emergencies.

OhioProstar
10-06-2005, 03:15 PM
Ohio - Always wanted to try the flat tip screw driver but wooried about scratching the inside of the pump. Have you had any issues with that. This is good stuff.
They work great...I lube the impeller up with shampoo, pull the lanyard like Eastie mentioned, and use the two screw drivers to gently pull the impeller out. No issues regarding the inside of the raw pump as of yet.

Last Saturday hurt, huh?
Yep...MSU made some bad mistakes that added to points the other way and Hart is a PLAYER. Great game though, the weather was awesome.

BIGBADBLUE
10-06-2005, 03:37 PM
Going to try this method ... soulds much easier than the pull and grunt method I currently use. I am originally from Michigan and that game was awesome. I pull from UM but all my friends went to MSU so I am not anti-MSU. My signature would read "I pull for UM and anyone who plays OSU. :)

Footin
10-06-2005, 03:42 PM
"I pull for UM and anyone who plays OSU. :)

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!

east tx skier
10-06-2005, 04:26 PM
Hook 'em! We did.

Footin
10-06-2005, 04:37 PM
Yes you did, If you going to lose, lose early!

BIGBADBLUE
10-06-2005, 04:50 PM
Sorry Footin ... I was raised to hate OSU ... in my genetic makeup I think. Just like you with UM. The good thing for you this year is that you will beat the living daylights out of UM this year. One of my worse days was when Cooper was fired. Now at the end of November every year I have o deal with a loss to OSU.

93ps205
10-06-2005, 09:18 PM
Another good choice is syl-glide, which is a silicone based grease that is
intended for use on rubber. Think I got mine at NAPA. I've never
tried the binding lube, but that sounds like a good idea too.

PointTaken
10-06-2005, 09:33 PM
Hook 'em! We did.
lol...........

PointTaken
10-06-2005, 09:36 PM
Sorry Footin ... I was raised to hate OSU ... in my genetic makeup I think. Just like you with UM. The good thing for you this year is that you will beat the living daylights out of UM this year. One of my worse days was when Cooper was fired. Now at the end of November every year I have o deal with a loss to OSU.

You probably hated to see Bruce go also. We were just trying to make it a rivalry again. And, lo and behold, we did that AND got a national championship. :popcorn: Now what was I saying about that dual quarterback thing :confused:

BIGBADBLUE
10-06-2005, 10:07 PM
Heard that ... was not much of a riverly when Cooper or Bruce was there. At UM or OSU you gotta win that last game or your coaching career is short. This year your offense looks ok, just enough to win but man that defense looks awesome. Those linebackers are going to tear Hart apart.

PointTaken
10-06-2005, 10:16 PM
I agree, but you never know about that last game, they can go either way...at least the last few years :)

I think we hi-jacked this thread...we may have to start an official "OSU kicks UM" thread...or something like that :)

Storm861triple
10-07-2005, 01:18 PM
I use KY. Works awesome, and no petroleum.

OhioProstar
10-07-2005, 01:51 PM
You use Kentucky?

east tx skier
10-07-2005, 02:42 PM

Yup, water-based glycerol lubricant. ;)