PDA

View Full Version : maristar 200 overheating

markiehd
06-14-2013, 07:22 PM
My maristar, 350 engine, vdrive, overheats when under load. idleing it will stay around 160. I have replaced the impeller, cleaned all debri. It ran great for approximately 20 hours. then it started this. Anything over 1200 rpm it starts to overheat. Ive never let it get over 200, but cant figure out. replaced the thermostat. the old one looked suspect. still occurring. I just pulled the hose to the tranny cooler, raw water pickup. no screen that I can detect. Do I have to open the trainny cooler for the screen. Is it on the port side of the tranny... stumped

Rossterman
06-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Check to make sure you didn't get the short impeller. They make a 1 7/8" and 2" (what our boats take). They look identical but won't prime well and overheat above idle. Impeller should have no end clearance against the cover.

markiehd
06-14-2013, 09:29 PM
hmm i just buttoned everything up. But I will say, I believe it goes to the end of the space. And the boat probably ran 3 to 4 hours on this impeller with no over heating problems. I am trying to take it for a test drive tomorrow, I will report back. Hey what do you think about faulty gauge. how to check. I notice that the gauge is now stuck on 160 when shut down...

Traxx822
06-14-2013, 11:05 PM
hmm i just buttoned everything up. But I will say, I believe it goes to the end of the space. And the boat probably ran 3 to 4 hours on this impeller with no over heating problems. I am trying to take it for a test drive tomorrow, I will report back. Hey what do you think about faulty gauge. how to check. I notice that the gauge is now stuck on 160 when shut down...

Trust all gauges except the fuel gauge :D.
Check your thermostat. Also I have seen a brand new impeller get chewed up from a small piece of debris. Worth a check. Also the diagnosis on the size of impeller sounds very viable to me. It's worth researching wherever you bought it to find out and be 100% sure

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

CantRepeat
06-15-2013, 03:07 AM
pick up some crap and its clogging the RAW waster intake line, trans cooler clogged, impeller wrong or burned up missing fins?

Jerseydave
06-15-2013, 07:32 AM
Remove hoses from both ends of trans cooler, look for seaweed/debris at the intake end. Back flush it with a garden hose until you are sure nothing is in there. Reverse flush your intake grate the same way.

markiehd
06-15-2013, 09:40 AM
thank you everyone for the advice. It does seem to be a straight forward cooling system. I have backflushed the trans cooler screens. I have good flow. There is no obstruction in the pickup end thru the floor. The impeller looks good. I didnt check for size yet. Thermostat is new. Not sure why all gauges, except oil pressure gauge, are stuck where they were when boat last shut down... that is a bit troubling. I will probably open up down there this weekend.... Taking for a test drive this afternoon. I will report back. ps, when it was getting hot, notice excessive white smoke from the exhaust.

Traxx822
06-15-2013, 09:48 AM
thank you everyone for the advice. It does seem to be a straight forward cooling system. I have backflushed the trans cooler screens. I have good flow. There is no obstruction in the pickup end thru the floor. The impeller looks good. I didnt check for size yet. Thermostat is new. Not sure why all gauges, except oil pressure gauge, are stuck where they were when boat last shut down... that is a bit troubling. I will probably open up down there this weekend.... Taking for a test drive this afternoon. I will report back. ps, when it was getting hot, notice excessive white smoke from the exhaust.

:eek: that sounds like a head gasket.

JimN
06-15-2013, 10:07 AM
My maristar, 350 engine, vdrive, overheats when under load. idleing it will stay around 160. I have replaced the impeller, cleaned all debri. It ran great for approximately 20 hours. then it started this. Anything over 1200 rpm it starts to overheat. Ive never let it get over 200, but cant figure out. replaced the thermostat. the old one looked suspect. still occurring. I just pulled the hose to the tranny cooler, raw water pickup. no screen that I can detect. Do I have to open the trainny cooler for the screen. Is it on the port side of the tranny... stumped

The transmission cooler will collect any debris on the hull side when that debris is too large to pass through. If you removed the hose but didn't reach/look into the cooler, do that ASAP, and remove anything that's in it. The screen isn't in the hose.

markiehd
06-15-2013, 03:32 PM
dont say the dreaded head gasket word.... i might sell the boat then....I am going out in an hour or so, I will report back tonight. thanks again everyone

Traxx822
06-15-2013, 03:37 PM
Hey i'm not boat mechanic. Or a mechanic at all. But white smoke, overheating. In my experience thats a bad thing. But JimN is probably on to something. Run through his list and make sure to single everything out before you go selling it.

mikeg205
06-15-2013, 04:07 PM
what year maristar - have you ever pulled the risers to inspect water channels? How about the thermostat - have you ever replaced that?

JimN
06-15-2013, 05:20 PM
dont say the dreaded head gasket word.... i might sell the boat then....I am going out in an hour or so, I will report back tonight. thanks again everyone

Better to have a bad head gasket than a crack, somewhere.

markiehd
06-15-2013, 09:06 PM
well, back from afternoon on the lake. wicked cruising at 1000 rpms. 2000 rpms and the boat starts going up. at 180 i went back to cruising mode.... checked the oil, no signs of water in the oil, so im thinking not a head gasket. tomorrow, I will open the impeller again, check it out, replace for good measure, check all lines for debris, and replace the thermostat with a marine grade thermostat...... and pull apart the dash to see whats going on with the gauges... ughh

markiehd
06-16-2013, 01:18 AM
well, idled fine, but temp started creeping up under load. Now i am caustios, and when it hit 180 i just idled after that, keeping the temp at 160. I have an automobile tstat from autozone in it.. are the marine ones different. im thinking new tstat and impeller, not sure what else it could be. my boat always ran around 140 before problems started...

mikeg205
06-16-2013, 01:44 AM
could be bad t-stat - pull t-stat and run with out it... also marine t-stat has bypass I believe..

JimN
06-16-2013, 07:43 AM
well, idled fine, but temp started creeping up under load. Now i am caustios, and when it hit 180 i just idled after that, keeping the temp at 160. I have an automobile tstat from autozone in it.. are the marine ones different. im thinking new tstat and impeller, not sure what else it could be. my boat always ran around 140 before problems started...

Check the cover on the thermostat and the thermostat itself, especially if you ever noticed that the impeller lost one or more of its vanes.

How old is the impeller? When you change it, change the gasket, too.

towelshoot
06-17-2013, 10:15 PM
The marine tstats are different than automotive.

markiehd
06-21-2013, 07:27 PM
I believe success. I took apart the whole cooling system today, and found the blockage in the lower hose, from the trans cooler to the input on the impeller. Evidently, when the old one blew debris lodges down there. I thought i had cleaned it out, but i guess it was floating around and finally got clogged in there. taking on the lake tomorrow, cant wait to ride. Thank you everyone on this board for all the help!

mikeg205
06-21-2013, 07:30 PM
Hopefully congrats... I back flush my impeller intake hose a many times a year takes 15 minutes start to finish - good excuse to go out to man cave with a beer ;) .....

markiehd
06-23-2013, 09:54 PM
Awesome day on the water yesterday. Boat ran perfectly, solid at about 160!. thank you board for the patience and the advice on trouble shooting my overheating problem. rock on!

Traxx822
06-23-2013, 10:14 PM
Hey JimN was right again. Whoulda thunk.

Glad your having fun again.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

ahhudgins
06-24-2013, 06:31 PM
Awesome day on the water yesterday. Boat ran perfectly, solid at about 160!. thank you board for the patience and the advice on trouble shooting my overheating problem. rock on!

My Maristar 200VRS is a 95 and it uses a 142 degree tstat. When I installed a 160 tstat I started having a problem when I cut the boat off to change skiers. When the boat sat for a few minutes (engine not running) the engine would go into the normal heat soak and the engine temp would reach close to 180 degrees. When this happened the engine would not restart until the temperature came back down to under 160 degrees. Just some thing to think about if you every have the same issue.

JimN
06-24-2013, 06:41 PM
My Maristar 200VRS is a 95 and it uses a 142 degree tstat. When I installed a 160 tstat I started having a problem when I cut the boat off to change skiers. When the boat sat for a few minutes (engine not running) the engine would go into the normal heat soak and the engine temp would reach close to 180 degrees. When this happened the engine would not restart until the temperature came back down to under 160 degrees. Just some thing to think about if you every have the same issue.

I you had problems starting when the gauge showed 180, check your ECT- if its resistance is higher than what should correspond to any temperature, the engine will run rich. If this happens again, open the throttle a bit and see if it starts- if it does, a bad ECT is almost a certainty.

doemill1
07-08-2013, 11:09 AM
I had same no start problem with my 94 225VRS with the LT1. Gave me fits for a couple of years. Finally found on one of these threads, Skidim offers a " vapor lock kit" for Indmar fuel injected engines. $ 297. My boat acted like it was "supercharged" the change in the performance was assume !