PDA

View Full Version : Re-Carpeting a 85 S&S

OSUspenc99
10-05-2005, 04:23 PM
Anyone out there recarpeted a 85 stars and stripes? Didnt know what i would be getting myself into if i start to do this project. Really dont think it can be that hard but i really dont know what i am doing either. Any suggestions and advice on what to do?

thanks

BriEOD
10-05-2005, 05:32 PM
Do a search JRandol re-did an 86'.

east tx skier
10-05-2005, 05:41 PM
Also, Brad paid to have an 87 done (it's an alternative to sweat equity).

dog paw
10-06-2005, 09:11 PM
Yes I did my 84. It's not that bad. I was having skins made and installed on the seats and box so it was the perfect time. I guess the worst part was getting up all the old glue. I filled all the mounting holes in the floor and redrilled so all the screws would be "new" tight again. I did have to make one seam in the storage area. I did not tackle removing the carpet all the way up to the front. It was still like new.

Cloaked
10-06-2005, 09:28 PM
Anyone out there recarpeted a 85 stars and stripes? Didnt know what i would be getting myself into if i start to do this project. Really dont think it can be that hard but i really dont know what i am doing either. Any suggestions and advice on what to do?

thanksI did mine recently (85) and have a few posts about it. The one thing I recommend is to remove the old carpet to where it remains in tact and then use it (the front portion in particular) as a template. Makes life much easier when cutting out for the front floor section and the curvature up the sides. The only pain for me was sanding out the old glue... But it's not a bad project. I did it by myself (with two half pieces of cinder block), where others here have had assistance. I only went to just behind the foot rest. I left the original from there up. I planned the cut for the seam to be under the seats (passenger and driver seats), and no seam required for the center section. I'm thinking about 8.5' to 9' with the first section from the rear in 3 feet widths or there about as the dimensions change, thus the template if possible, then laid in the remainder in three pieces (front passenger, center section, driver's side).

ski_king
10-06-2005, 10:02 PM
The upolestery shop did mine for $50 when I had it in getting the seats redone. I have only one seam, it runs centered from the engine compartment, around the pylon and up under the observer seat. only about 18 in. is exposed. It looks good, but is in a high traffic area.