PDA

View Full Version : Places to ski in Austin?

bdecker
10-05-2005, 01:30 PM
I'm headed to Austin for a business trip this weekend and would like to get some water time. Does anyone know of a place to ski in Austin? I'd love to get a couple more bouys in before I pull the snow skis out...

Ric
10-05-2005, 01:39 PM
I'm headed to Austin for a business trip this weekend and would like to get some water time. Does anyone know of a place to ski in Austin? I'd love to get a couple more bouys in before I pull the snow skis out...
theres no place to ski in austin

Ric
10-05-2005, 01:41 PM
just kidding! Welcome
There are a few austin skiers on here
maybe you can get a pull at aquaplex or the lake in Taylor where they have the tournaments (I forget the name of the place)
Lake austin is awesome if you can find a crowdless hour to ski

east tx skier
10-05-2005, 01:48 PM
Ric's covered some of the private sites. For public water, there's no beating the Pedernales River. Don't tell anyone.

martini
10-05-2005, 02:39 PM
Lake Austin is actually not that bad right now. A lot of people have started winterizing their boats or are just not going out there. I was there last Sunday and there was minimal traffic. Winterizing boats in this part of the country, this early, cracks me up! I usually don't even start thinking about it until late November.

ksmaristar91
10-05-2005, 03:21 PM
Lake Travis??? Ive heard good things about it!

east tx skier
10-05-2005, 03:52 PM
Lake Austin is actually not that bad right now. A lot of people have started winterizing their boats or are just not going out there. I was there last Sunday and there was minimal traffic. Winterizing boats in this part of the country, this early, cracks me up! I usually don't even start thinking about it until late November.

Lake Austin starts to get pretty chilly this time of year. But it tends to be better skiing everywhere in September and October. I love it!

MarkP
10-05-2005, 04:05 PM
Lake Austin starts to get pretty chilly this time of year.OMG LMAO!! That cracks me up..

AirJunky
10-05-2005, 04:06 PM
OMG LMAO!! That cracks me up..
No kidding...... so Doug, whats the water temps in Austin like? 70s?

MarkP
10-05-2005, 04:42 PM
To tell you the truth, I could get used to the warm water more easily than the cold water. I think some of my water got near 80 this year. Now Iím afraid Iíll have trouble once it cools down..

east tx skier
10-05-2005, 05:10 PM
Well, I should've qualified that a bit. It's relatively cold compared to the rest of the state. Lake Austin is fed from the bottom of Lake Travis. The sun doesn't warm that water at the bottom of Travis, so what gets fed into Lake Austin is a bit chilly (even in the Summer). Especially if you put in near the Travis dam as we tend to do.

I skied in early March this season with no wetsuit. You know you're both jealous of that. Have fun winterizing, I'll be skiing through late November at least. :dance:

martini
10-05-2005, 05:11 PM
Actually East Texas is right. Lake Austin stays pretty chilly most of the year. It feeds from the bottom of Lake Travis at a depth close to 200ft down. I would say water temps average in the 60's up by the damn and of course it warms up as it heads down stream. Since it isn't getting the sun light it would during the summer months it is staying cooler farther away from the damn. In winter water temps average in the 50's. So, even though we are south and air temps are nice, the water feels quite cold and frigid.

martini
10-05-2005, 05:11 PM
beat me to it.

AirJunky
10-05-2005, 05:12 PM
It's funny how people adapt to where they live & their local conditions. Our water got into the upper 70s this year, and it was awesome. So last week we were out riding, water temps in the low 60s. I broke down & was in the full wet suit. There were only 2 others boats out there that day & both of them full of kids boarding in nothing but shorts & a vest.
Guess none of them were from Texas...... ;)

BTW, you have fun winterizing Doug. All I do is drain the block, exhaust & heater everytime we go out. And we'll ride till long after Santa flies.

Ric
10-05-2005, 05:46 PM
Actually East Texas is right. Lake Austin stays pretty chilly most of the year. It feeds from the bottom of Lake Travis at a depth close to 200ft down. I would say water temps average in the 60's up by the damn and of course it warms up as it heads down stream. Since it isn't getting the sun light it would during the summer months it is staying cooler farther away from the damn. In winter water temps average in the 50's. So, even though we are south and air temps are nice, the water feels quite cold and frigid.
it is soooo awesome to jump in that cold water with upper 90's temps outside, I dont care who-ya-are

east tx skier
10-05-2005, 05:58 PM
You just made me remember Barton Springs as a kid. The only thing colder than that water was the lemonade they sold there.

BuoyChaser
10-07-2005, 01:10 PM
ric/east tx skier
bdecker is a ski buddy of mine, he picked up a TT this year...check out this pic of his boat on our pond http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=2004&ppuser=3308 with him rippin' it up...

not sure how to show the image in this message when it has already been attached previously...

east tx skier
10-07-2005, 01:12 PM
Beautiful boat. I'm sure he'll find some place to put in in Austin. No shortage of skiable water there.

BuoyChaser
10-07-2005, 01:15 PM
found these on http://www.usawaterski.org/pages/schools/Menu.htm

AquaSki USA -- Highlands, Texas
Dallas-Ft Worth Water Ski & Wakeboard School -- Greenville, Texas
M2 Water Ski & Wakeboard School -- Houston, Texas
Ski McQueeney -- McQueeney, Texas

there are quite a few clubs listed, some right in Austin: http://www.usawaterski.org/pages/clubs/regiondetail.asp?type=s&name=TX

east tx skier
10-07-2005, 01:38 PM
Okay, here are the private lakes (courtesy of the CAWSC Website).

Austin Area Private Tournament Lakes (http://www.waterskiaustin.com/index.html)

Click the "Lakes" link on the left.

BuoyChaser
10-07-2005, 01:48 PM
he'll be flying in and renting a car, there will be NO BOAT IN TOW... :toast:

he's lookin' to bum some shortline ski sets!!!

Ric
10-07-2005, 03:57 PM
love to give a pull in Houston but I wont be at the lake this weekend :(

east tx skier
10-07-2005, 03:58 PM
he'll be flying in and renting a car, there will be NO BOAT IN TOW... :toast:

he's lookin' to bum some shortline ski sets!!!

I'd volunteer a family member of mine, but he'll be at the game in Dallas.

bdecker
10-07-2005, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the info, I just sent a note to the guys who run the Capitol Area waterski club in hopes of getting enough info to justify packing the ski. The lakes here in NH are getting cold way too fast!