PDA

View Full Version : How to remove prop?

jgraham37128
06-11-2013, 09:50 PM
Looking to pull my prop off this weekend? Does anyone know what size socket I will need and is going to be a pain to remove? 2010 X2.

KahunaCraft
06-11-2013, 10:09 PM
I think there are some topics covering this already, try the local search tool or google "x2 mastercraft prop removal" (I just did that and found a number of articles on TT.

JRW160
06-11-2013, 10:39 PM
It's a lot easier to get it off with a prop puller. You will need some scrap 2x4 to keep the prop from turning while you get the nut off. You may also want to replace the cotter pin when you reinstall the nut.

88 PS190
06-12-2013, 12:44 AM
Job is three fold.

Cotter pin -# locking needle nose and spare pins

Prop nut - forget size 3/4? Spare nut on hand wood block if real tight, strap wrench works.

Prop puller, harmonic +++ regular +. Either works, i broke a wrench once.

New prop.

jgraham37128
06-12-2013, 08:05 AM
I was thinking of using my impact to get it off? Will this work?

JG

Skipper
06-12-2013, 08:15 AM
You may be able to loosen and remove the nut with the impact but not the prop. If you don't have a puller one option is to use a torch to heat the prop until it expands and it will just pop loose. Just be careful with the flame of course. The best option is a prop puller.

stuartmcnair
06-12-2013, 10:30 AM
tap the backside of the prop with a block of 2x4 and it will pop off.

chriscraftmatt1976
06-12-2013, 10:34 AM
tap the backside of the prop with a block of 2x4 and it will pop off.

may or may not. i've bent a prop puller before on one that was stubborn. more likely that it's not gonna pop off with a tap of a 2x4. a puller is cheap, and you'll use it over the years.

Grant777
06-12-2013, 10:37 AM
Please let us know if you can get the prop off without disengaging the hydraulic steering on the rudder. For some reason I cannot on my 2008 X-2. I don't need a prop puller as I greased the spline but the rudder issue turns it into an hour long job. Also use a new cotter pin. They tend to break when trying to reuse.

jgraham37128
06-12-2013, 11:20 AM
I will for sure use a new cotter pin.

chriscraftmatt1976
06-12-2013, 11:20 AM
Please let us know if you can get the prop off without disengaging the hydraulic steering on the rudder. For some reason I can on my 2008 X-2. I don't need a prop puller as I greased the spline but the rudder issue turns it into an hour long job. Also use a new cotter pin. They tend to break when trying to reuse.

shows how old my boat is... no splines on mine! are all the new mc splined? i worked at a nautique dealer, so i rarely saw other mc boats, just mine.

Grant777
06-12-2013, 10:17 PM
For the record my post auto corrected. I cannot get my prop off without turning the rudder through 90 degrees.

Grant777
06-18-2013, 06:51 AM
Tell me this shaft isn't too long. 96999

gotjag941
06-18-2013, 07:51 AM
Nope it's just a tricky act to do but can be done without disengaging anything

jgraham37128
06-18-2013, 08:20 AM
Ok, Grant77 I pulled my prop off Sunday. Easiest thing I've ever done. I pulled the cotter pin out with no problem. I then got my 1 1/16th inch wrench to the nut and easily turned it loose. I got my wife to turn the rutter to the left and the prop didn't come off. I then asked her to turn it all the way to the right and it slid right off. I did move it around the ears a little bit but it came right off.

On a scale of 1-10. I'd rank this as a 1

Tools needed.

1 small screw driver (To start to pull Cotter Pin)
2. needle nose pliers ( to grab the cotter pin and pull the rest of the way out)
3. I did bring a rubber hammer but didn't use it I was able to pull the prop down off the spline with no problems.
4. 1 1/16th inch wrench. Bought at Northern tool for $8.00 going to leave it in my boat

jgraham37128
06-18-2013, 08:20 AM
Tell me this shaft isn't too long. 96999

Rudder goes the other direction.

Grant777
06-18-2013, 10:53 AM
Tried it all, but appreciate the replies. It seems the issue is either the gap between the front of the prop, ie between the end of the splines and the prop strut or the length of the thread on the end of the shaft. I chuckled as the dealer tried to remove it today and failed - after telling me how it was a simple matter of rudder position and twisting the prop. And yes, I've tightened the nut on the transmission side as tight as it will go. Anyone have similar pics from a side on angle to show the gaps? I've looked online and can't find anything clear...the joys of hand build boats!

jgraham37128
06-18-2013, 11:01 AM
Tried it all, but appreciate the replies. It seems the issue is either the gap between the front of the prop, ie between the end of the splines and the prop strut or the length of the thread on the end of the shaft. I chuckled as the dealer tried to remove it today and failed - after telling me how it was a simple matter of rudder position and twisting the prop. And yes, I've tightened the nut on the transmission side as tight as it will go. Anyone have similar pics from a side on angle to show the gaps? I've looked online and can't find anything clear...the joys of hand build boats!

I'll take you some pics when I get my prop back later this week. Again mine fell right off no problem at all. Now I could tell it was right against everything as it was coming off but it did come right off with little to no trouble.

JG

jgraham37128
06-18-2013, 11:02 AM

I'll also bring a tape measure and take some pics so you can compare it to your shaft and etc...

JG

Thrall
06-18-2013, 01:29 PM
I'll also bring a tape measure and take some pics so you can compare it to your shaft and etc...

JG

That's a little personal for the forum here!:rolleyes:

It's a bit of a jigsaw puzzle to get the prop off a X2. Need to find the right combo of prop position and rudder position. Takes me a few minutes each time before it fits.
A puller is much easier, especially if the prop has been on a while and no anti seize on hte splines.
I was alway able to get the tapered shaft prop off my 190 without a puller. Not the case on the X2.
Oh and make sure you leave the prop nut thereaded on loosely so the prop doesnt come flying off when it breaks loose.
To me it's worth the $80 to have a puller handy to be able to easily remove the prop with just a crescent wrench if something happens at the lake.

jgraham37128
06-18-2013, 02:03 PM
I pulled my prop off with my bare hands just grabbed two opposite ears and slight pull and it come loose, then I finished removing the nut.

Eric at OJ told me I wouldn't need a prop puller or a hammer but I carried the hammer just in case but he was dead right. i didn't need either one. I think the prop puller is more for the keyed props not the splined ones.

Thrall
06-19-2013, 01:11 PM
I pulled my prop off with my bare hands just grabbed two opposite ears and slight pull and it come loose, then I finished removing the nut.

Eric at OJ told me I would need a prop puller or a hammer but I carried the hammer just in case but he was dead right. i didn't need wither one. I think the prop puller is more for the keyed props not the splined ones.

Sometimes they do just come off.
A good shadetree way to loosen the prop if you can put the boat in the water is to loosen the nut a little then hit reverse a few times. Will break it loose and push the prop back.
In your case, the nut could have been a little loose resulting int he prop moving slightly between fwd and rev every time, thus not getting froze in place.

Grant777
06-20-2013, 04:40 AM
Apparently the propellor shaft strut was marginally bent and that 1-2mm offset was making removal impossible. We only found this out when the dealer tried to remove the shaft and it wouldn't clear the rudder. With some minor re-alignment I can now get the prop on and off, albeit with a squeeze, with the rudder turned all the way to the right (steering right). It seems to rotate easier too, two light finger grab.

jgraham37128
06-20-2013, 08:22 AM
Apparently the propellor shaft strut was marginally bent and that 1-2mm offset was making removal impossible. We only found this out when the dealer tried to remove the shaft and it wouldn't clear the rudder. With some minor re-alignment I can now get the prop on and off, albeit with a squeeze, with the rudder turned all the way to the right (steering right). It seems to rotate easier too, two light finger grab.

Great, I know you have been trying to get yours off for a while. I hope this thread helped! I see you're in Dubai? If I'm ever there I'd like a pull behind your boat!

tcmercil
06-20-2013, 09:21 AM
I have a prop puller but never use it. As I learned a trick from Jim Gountainis.... skiboatsolutionsmn take a torch and simply put a little heat on the prop itself.... obviously be careful not to heat any other areas.... but once the shaft/prop is a bit warm, a rubber mallet with a few soft hits is all you need...

jgraham37128
06-20-2013, 07:06 PM
Well my prop arrived today. I had a small bend, and I mean a very small bend in mine from the boat lift from a house we rented on memorial Day. They had the lift set back dso far the back of the boat hung out 2ft from the slip. When I lifted it up and noticed the prop was against the hardware on the lift. I re-lowered the lift and took it for a ride just to make sure it didn't vibrate. No vibration so I put back on the lift and moved the boat way back to make sure it didn't hit again. I was contemplating just straitening it out myself but called and talked to Eric at OJ and felt it would be best to send in make sure it was done right. I got it back and it looks brand new the repaired it and polished it and wow it was worth the $100.00, so if you're trying to decide if you want to do yourself or send in, I would recommend sending it in to OJ to get it done right. Took four days from me sending it to him til lI got it back but it was just one shipping day from my home.

Grant777
06-22-2013, 06:34 AM
Nothing quite like a shiny prop! Anytime you are in Dubai look me up. I'll happily take you out on the water. This forum is the best source of info, especially running a boat miles from civilization.

sully
06-22-2013, 02:47 PM
Another little tip I have learned over the years is to take the prop off over the winter. This way it doesn't take an almost permanent set over time. I have got it down to only taking about 10 minutes to remove it.

tommydbouy
06-22-2013, 04:21 PM
My splined 522 OJ came of without a prop puller. I had to turn my steering wheel all the way to the left. All the way to the right did not leave enough room.

How tight do you retighten the nut?

GoneBoatN
06-22-2013, 06:10 PM
Another little tip I have learned over the years is to take the prop off over the winter. This way it doesn't take an almost permanent set over time. I have got it down to only taking about 10 minutes to remove it.

Yep, part of my yearly winterization is to remove the prop, apply a little grease to the spindle and re-install. Justifies the purchase of the prop puller.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-22-2013, 06:15 PM
My splined 522 OJ came of without a prop puller. I had to turn my steering wheel all the way to the left. All the way to the right did not leave enough room.

How tight do you retighten the nut?

50 ft lb. of torque

Grant777
06-23-2013, 02:26 AM
On the topic of tight nuts; don't forget to check the nylock nut on the coupler end of the shaft (transmission side). Mine was just more than finger tight when I last checked it (the only time I've checked it).

jgraham37128
06-23-2013, 07:30 AM
On the topic of tight nuts; don't forget to check the nylock nut on the coupler end of the shaft (transmission side). Mine was just more than finger tight when I last checked it (the only time I've checked it).

Post a pic of what your talking about.

Grant777
06-23-2013, 11:32 PM
It's the nut on the other end of the prop shaft.

88 PS190
06-23-2013, 11:47 PM
Inside the flanges.

Essentially the flange is connected with a nut recessed inside - if that slipped in theory the coupler could slide off the shaft... Its a pretty tough press fit as I recall.

Grant777
06-24-2013, 01:49 AM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/archive/index.php/t-51214.html

Grant777
06-24-2013, 01:52 AM
And...

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/archive/index.php/t-48539.html