PDA

View Full Version : Underwater paint

jimmer2880
10-05-2005, 08:32 AM
I need a good under-water paint for my steel cradle on my lift. The last time, I used some anti-fouling paint which has worked good for 3 years, but it's a bit soft & will rub off on your skin, clothes, etc. Does anyone on here have a good recomendation?

I'm in fresh water (muddy river water to be exact).

H20skeefreek
10-05-2005, 08:51 AM
shoot interlux an email: yacht.us@yachtpaint.com

tell them what you used before and that you want to switch to a hard anti-fouling for steel and see what they tell you. it'll be hard work changing from one style to the next, I would imagine you have to remove all of the ablative that is currently on there which may mean some sort of media blasting.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-05-2005, 10:19 AM
Ever think of powdercoating it? If you are curious of what that might cost, here is a link to get you started.
http://www.gorillapowdercoating.com/request_for_quote.htm

milkmania
10-05-2005, 12:10 PM
wonder what the spray bedliner material does underwater over time?

what about the roll on gallons?
http://www.autobarn.net/pltrbedliga.html

I used a spray can type on my aluminum mounts on my teak swim platform.....

worked great and hasn't chipped yet

*edit
also used it on my receiver hitch frame, and looks like new!

bonus
dries in seconds!!!!!

MarkP
10-05-2005, 01:20 PM
Wow Milkman, Thatís a great idea! You donít have a shot of that/them, do you??

jimmer2880
10-05-2005, 02:18 PM
Thx for the very quick replies. H20 - I'll give them a shout & see what they say. I planned on wire-brushing it anyway... but - that doesn't remove everything.

My cradle is 14'x8' and weighs ~700 lbs - so it's not very easy to move around. That rules out media blasting (I don't have a compresser big enough to do it at home) and rules out powder coating.

I thought about the Herculiner (I just sprayed the roll-on stuff on the inside of my Jeep.... really turned out good). But - I figured it has some abount of porus properties to it and wasn't made for constant under-water use.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-16-2005, 12:47 AM
Thx for the very quick replies. H20 - I'll give them a shout & see what they say. I planned on wire-brushing it anyway... but - that doesn't remove everything.

My cradle is 14'x8' and weighs ~700 lbs - so it's not very easy to move around. That rules out media blasting (I don't have a compresser big enough to do it at home) and rules out powder coating.

I thought about the Herculiner (I just sprayed the roll-on stuff on the inside of my Jeep.... really turned out good). But - I figured it has some abount of porus properties to it and wasn't made for constant under-water use.
There are blasters and powder coaters here in town that can EASILY handle a lift, these guys here do COMPLETE cars, blasting and powdercoating. Sorry to say they are no where near you.

jimmer2880
10-16-2005, 07:26 PM
There are blasters and powder coaters here in town that can EASILY handle a lift, these guys here do COMPLETE cars, blasting and powdercoating. Sorry to say they are no where near you.

I'm not saying there isn't one around here. My problem is moving it around. This thing is a beast to load onto a trailer, etc. I'll call around though & see. I have a friend who gets stuff blasted & coated all the time somewhere locally.

Thx for the idea. I won't rule it out.

For what it's worth, the guys at interlux were excellent to work with. I must have swapped a dozen emails with them going back & forth on what to do based on human exposure, air exposure, etc.

I still haven't made up my mind yet though. Lots of good ideas on here.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-16-2005, 10:28 PM
Believe me I am not trying to "sell" it to you. It just would make sense to me(at least pricing it out anyway). I would think it would be forever(nothing is forever, but close). The investment might be high, but for the longevity of it, and how nice it will look I would think it would outway the trouble. Beside, how often would it have to be done any other way, every few years.
Then again, I could not say it is undeal for underwater applications.
I was at a local powdercoater I use. He actually had a customer who had an aluminum fence, had it blasted, and then powder coated.
I guess the weight is a big issue. They are not easy to work with, but then you would be able to reassemble with all stainless hardward, and likley not think about it again for alot of years.

One of my relatives has been considering doing his aluminum pier, mainly because it get sooooo hot in the sun.
Any way, good luck with it.

jimmer2880
10-17-2005, 05:17 PM
Believe me I am not trying to "sell" it to you. It just would make sense to me(at least pricing it out anyway). I would think it would be forever(nothing is forever, but close). The investment might be high, but for the longevity of it, and how nice it will look I would think it would outway the trouble. Beside, how often would it have to be done any other way, every few years.
Then again, I could not say it is undeal for underwater applications.
I was at a local powdercoater I use. He actually had a customer who had an aluminum fence, had it blasted, and then powder coated.
I guess the weight is a big issue. They are not easy to work with, but then you would be able to reassemble with all stainless hardward, and likley not think about it again for alot of years.

One of my relatives has been considering doing his aluminum pier, mainly because it get sooooo hot in the sun.
Any way, good luck with it.

Thanks. I didn't think you were/are trying to "sell" me on anything. Sorry - guess I had a poor choice of words - again :uglyhamme

Also - for what it's worth I swapped emails with Herculiner. They say their stuff is suitable for underwater applications. Not sure if I believe them or not - but that's their official answer. Hmm... the plot thickens.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-21-2005, 10:38 AM
Messy stuff to work with. I am going to stop in at the coater today and pick up a few sets of snowmobile exhaust I hade ceramic coated. If I remember, I'll ask if they know what it would take to do a lift. And when I get one myself in spring, I'll be prepared.