PDA

View Full Version : X45 Prop Shaft Packing

Meeker
06-10-2013, 01:53 PM
I have water coming in my 05 X45 with the 8.1. Put plugs in on trailer, put some water in it, leaking from the shaft seal. Ordered wrench and new packing, go to change it, and there is no double nut like others I have seen here. First off, super hard to see, reach under because of the big block. There is a short piece of hose with two clamps on it, then there is a black rubber/plastic cap with mastercraft written on it. Not sure if I have some sort of dripless seal, but I don't appear to have the double nut/packing seal. Reached around and could turn the cap, doesn't really tighten or loosen, just turns. Not sure what's under the cap, but there are no hoses going to it either.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Meeker
06-11-2013, 05:27 PM
Any ideas on the seal?

Thanks

CruisinGA
06-11-2013, 05:28 PM
Pictures...

West_dt
06-11-2013, 08:19 PM
I think I'm having the same issues. Def hope you get an answer.

ncsone
06-11-2013, 08:28 PM
That is a dripless shaft seal. Check with Eric @ OJ Props as they are the ones who made those dripless seals. I do believe there is a replaceable seal in there if it comes to having to do a repair.

It comes off fairly easily, just loosen the two hose clamps that join it to the hull and slide forward. You may just need to tighten up the hose clamps to stop the leak. I would try that just in case before installing a new part.

Meeker
06-14-2013, 09:28 PM
This is not my boat, but my seal looks identical to this. I suppose I'll try tightening the clamps first. Stopped by local dealer today, he recommended replacing entire dripless system, not just the seal.

Honestly, I'm a little intimidated by the driveshaft removal. Never done one before.