PDA

View Full Version : UGH... Help with exhaust hose fitment

roush611
06-09-2013, 09:17 PM
Well today one of the hoses from the exhaust riser to the muffler exploded on me. The boat is a 1983 S&S. Can some one point me in the right direction of the hose I need. Do I need to corrugated stuff or will the regular hose work?

Thanks!

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-09-2013, 11:02 PM
Corrugated is for tight bends, regular should work if you don't have 20+ bends

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MPI200-3000

roush611
06-09-2013, 11:23 PM
Corrugated is for tight bends, regular should work if you don't have 20+ bends

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MPI200-3000

Thank you!

roush611
06-11-2013, 04:44 PM
So 3" is the correct size for an '83. I can measure mine because it is pretty stretched at the ends.

Cloaked
06-11-2013, 07:18 PM
So 3" is the correct size for an '83. I can measure mine because it is pretty stretched at the ends.
Yes.....3" but to ease your mind and release me from liability ( :D ) call DIM and confirm while ordering.... Hang up and order on the internet and place in the promo code (on their front page) for a discount....

I can say this about hose replacement especially while you are ordering hose from DIM..... Order new riser gaskets. Remove the risers and place the hose onto the muffler, then place the riser into place onto the hose. Much easier than wrestling to get the hose to fit with the riser in place. Yea, a little more wrenching but you are also guaranteed new riser gaskets..... well worth the effort.....

You'll need an allen wrench with the shorter end of the wrench cut shorter to get inside of the riser mold. Easy enough to cut one down....

Use Never-Seize on the hose connections for ease of future removal....Also consider new hose clamps if those are original... You'll need eight.... and if you're truly anal, order eight new bolts for the riser connections.... Not mandatory, but you're there...request the allen head bolts or you'll have to grind down one side of a 7/16" wrench to get it inside of the riser mold.

I use the soft wall hose and it handles nicely and a good box cutter will trim the hose right into place when you have it reassembled....

$0.02