PDA

View Full Version : ideas for protecting WITHOUT WINTERIZING...

jonno77
10-04-2005, 08:44 PM
My buddies and I all have dry suits so I REALLY do not want to winterize. I want to keep riding when the sun comes out. Afterall the water is fantastic and there is nobody on it, GLASS.

Any ideas about just pulling the bench seat forward and running a fan blown space heater on the engine compartment?? What about some sort of block heater??? Any ideas? Any EXPERIENCE TRYING THIS??

thanks

Jon
Portland Oregon
99 X-Star

X-45
10-04-2005, 08:54 PM
60 Watt light bulb always worked for me and my old inboard. It is a little nasty when we lose power and I had to winterize in sub-zero weather. But East Tennessee does not get as cold as some of these other folk on this board :eek3:

:cool:

André
10-04-2005, 09:04 PM
Try to do a search on this board.It has been discuss many times before and you should find infos that you're looking for!
Welcome to the discussion!

SkySkiSpokane
10-04-2005, 09:12 PM
Jon,
Andre is right. That has been kicked around here quite a bit. Up here in Spokane I use the light and just drain it good after every use. Skidim.com has some cool drain valves you can put on to make it quick. I just pull the plugs and bump start it just to blow out any remaining water. I haven't winterized in four years with no problems. It will get into the single digits for a week or so in the coldest part of the winter. We will ski as long as the water isn't frozen over.

flyinryn
10-04-2005, 10:25 PM
This might be the product that you are looking for say it come over on my email add from overtons

http://overton.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=36250

SKI*MC
10-04-2005, 10:36 PM
little pricey!

6ballsisall
10-04-2005, 11:36 PM
I'd think a $25 dollar electric heater with thermostat bought at Lowes would do the same job as that overpriced one at Overtons.

redmike
10-05-2005, 12:38 AM
I'd just make sure the electric heater has thermostat/"tip over switch" just in case the heater falls over, it will shut off, and not cause fire!

erkoehler
10-05-2005, 01:09 AM
349.99 is alittle pricey, I could winterize like 20 times for that price! :D

AirJunky
10-05-2005, 02:36 AM
Just set the engine, exhaust, heater & shower up so you can drain them easy. Then stick a light bulb in the engine compartment & get a good boat cover. I've been doing this for several years in WA state & not had a problem. Takes me about a minute to drain everything & I can do it on the ramp as we're wiping down the boat.