PDA

View Full Version : iPod Nano

shepherd
10-04-2005, 02:54 PM
Now I'm sure this topic came up before...
I'm looking to move into the 21st century by ditching the CD walkman and getting an iPod. The new Nano looks pretty cool.

I don't know much about iPods or mp3 players in general (I assume they are the same thing???). All I know is that they hold a lot of songs (like 1,000), you download the songs from your computer, and they are small. I have a couple of questions:

1. Can you copy music off a standard CD onto an iPod? How? Will I need special software or should my player come with what I need?

2. I assume the iPod won't "skip" when it's bounced around, right? (I like to jog with my CD Walkman but the occasional skipping drives me nuts!).

3. Can I hook it up to a car/boat stereo unit? If so, how?

4. Anybody have a Nano or can recommend something else???

I know this is a lot of questions, but I'm a newbie in the digital music world.

Thanks in advance.

east tx skier
10-04-2005, 02:59 PM
1. Yes. Ipod software.
2. Shouldn't skip.
3. Yes, using rca connection to back of head unit or with an fm modulator.
4. Don't even have an ipod.

LakePirate
10-04-2005, 03:01 PM
Bought one for my brother-in-law for his birthday. It is pretty cool. The FM modulator sucks, you have to hold your mouth just right to get it to work.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
10-04-2005, 03:02 PM
Hey SHep,.

I love my Ipod!!

Yes, you can load standard CDs onto an Ipod using your computer.

1.You can download Itunes for free, that is the software that ipod use. its very easy to operate.
2. I have never heard of an ipod skipping ever.

3. you can hook it up to nearly ANY audio device via patch cables you need to buy. YOu can also use an FM transmitter that will allow you to tune your radio to it and listen, but the quality isnt that great. the real way to do that is by a cable, the sound is PRISTINE!!!

4. I have the 60GB Ipod photo and I love it. I have over 4000 songs on mine. I loaded over 300 cd of mine on it, and I bought songs off itunes which is a legal way to pay for songs and download them. The nano looks great!!!

Any other questions? fire away!!! I am glad to help. :toast:

UMP

10-04-2005, 03:03 PM
Hey, you guys beat me!!!!! :mad:

Just kiddin!!! :dance:

east tx skier
10-04-2005, 03:06 PM
How many gigs is the nano?

G-man
10-04-2005, 03:37 PM
nano will hold 1000 songs and has been getting some bad press about the screens cracking. They seem to thin not to break easily.

bfinley
10-04-2005, 03:41 PM
The nanos come in 2GB or 4GB

ski_king
10-04-2005, 04:04 PM
I picked up a few SanDisk MP3 players for my kids.
Not as fancy as an I pod, they have flash memory, I have a 256 Meg and a 1 gig. Paid $50 for the 256 and $100 for the gig.
They seem to be easy to operate and get decent battery life, about 10 hours from a AAA.

I wil probobly upgrade to an IPod or maybe the Creative Micro Zen at some point.

My new cell phone also plays mp3's. but cell phones have a long way to go to even rival the cheap SanDisk Mp3's.

mitch
10-04-2005, 04:21 PM
I'm looking to move into the 21st century by ditching the CD walkman and getting an iPod. The new Nano looks pretty cool.

I don't know much about iPods or mp3 players in general (I assume they are the same thing???). All I know is that they hold a lot of songs (like 1,000), you download the songs from your computer, and they are small. I have a couple of questions:

1. Can you copy music off a standard CD onto an iPod? How? Will I need special software or should my player come with what I need?

2. I assume the iPod won't "skip" when it's bounced around, right? (I like to jog with my CD Walkman but the occasional skipping drives me nuts!).

Thanks in advance.

The Nano is excellent. I just got one for my son (4G black). As far as the screen cracking, it's a very minor problem. His is fine. I did get him a neopreme sleeve which is slick, and helps protect it.
Apple quote-->The problem affected "less than one-tenth of 1%" of the nanos shipped, Schiller said.

The Nano and the shuffle use DRAM vs. a hard drive and will not skip ever. Looks like all good answers to your questions.

I have the 4G mini, and love it and use it all the time. Good luck!

jbfootin
10-04-2005, 05:57 PM
I just ordered a Nano from the Apple web site. The reason I picked a 4 GB nano over one with more memory is the fact that it has flash memory vs a hard drive. In other words it has no moving parts and should last a lot longer, especially if it is bounced around during exercise or in a boat or car. I also went on the apple web and downloaded itunes (free) and started to download my CDs. That way when I get my ipod, I will have songs to put on it right away. Looking at all of my old scratched up CDs makes me wish that I would have downloaded them to preserve them years ago. The down load is only as good as the cd..if the cd skips so does your file!

shepherd
10-04-2005, 06:09 PM
Great input guys. Thanks!
Another question that came to mind. I know it will hold 1,000 songs, but is that in a fixed memory? Or can I exchange memory cards (or whatever) like I can with my digital camera. i.e., can I have 1,000 songs on 1 card, 1,000 on another, etc...?

sassydog
10-04-2005, 06:28 PM
i have an Ipod and i love it!!!. right ow i have about 3000 songs on it, but i bought the big boy about 2 years ago, which holds 10,000 and i have a ways to go. you can hook it up to anything with speakers. i'm a carpenter and i hook mine up to the jobsite raidio during the workday. it's also more versitile than other mp3 players. can run on just about any music program such as itunes(preferred). and you can hook your ipod up to other computers and transfer music back and forth. the ipod can be used for other applications such as a datebook, photo album and pda. since the Nano is new, there preobably are very few accesories for it, unlike the ipod and ipod mini, but i'm sure there will be in time. they're also built like a tank. i tried to break mine so i could send it back for another(long story) and it was pretty indestructable, i had to sh0ve an icepick inside to break it. there are no interchangable hd's. the hd is fixed unless you want to upgrade or somethign. there are a few sites that offer upgrades for the battery and memory. they come with kits that include the new hardware and tools to open your ipod. you can also have your ipod painted at onen particular site, just about every color imagineable, i'm sure they can match your boat as well. some companies make cases and holders for the ipods that would be be siuted for your boat. somer are water resistant cases and can protect the ipod in just about any condidtion. i'm a pretty bing ipod geek, so if there's any more questions, i'd be happy to answer

mitch
10-04-2005, 06:40 PM
Great input guys. Thanks!
Another question that came to mind. I know it will hold 1,000 songs, but is that in a fixed memory? Or can I exchange memory cards (or whatever) like I can with my digital camera. i.e., can I have 1,000 songs on 1 card, 1,000 on another, etc...?

It is fixed storage

mitch
10-04-2005, 06:46 PM
I just ordered a Nano from the Apple web site. The reason I picked a 4 GB nano over one with more memory is the fact that it has flash memory vs a hard drive. In other words it has no moving parts and should last a lot longer, especially if it is bounced around during exercise or in a boat or car. I also went on the apple web and downloaded itunes (free) and started to download my CDs. That way when I get my ipod, I will have songs to put on it right away. Looking at all of my old scratched up CDs makes me wish that I would have downloaded them to preserve them years ago. The down load is only as good as the cd..if the cd skips so does your file!

I got this case for the Nano last week. $15.00 shipped. This auction is past $20, but check her store for other deals. I did a buy it now. Quick shipper and pleasure to do biz with. The hard drives in the IPOD's are built tough. My mini has never skipped, and I'm rough on it. Generally the battery will be the 1st thing to go. You'll love the Nano. When it comes in, plug it into the USB port and with Itunes already locked and loaded, it will launch the app and automatically update your IPOD with your tunes. Yeeeeeehaaaa

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-iPOD-NANO-SILICONE-SKIN-CASE-SOLID-BLACK-IN-STOCK_W0QQitemZ5813746833QQcategoryZ56171QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

BuoyChaser
10-18-2005, 03:19 PM
here's some waterproof cases for iPods...

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/10001/-1/10001/243085/10001/562/11156/3

H2O AUDIO
Waterproof Case for iPods

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At last, you can hang around the water while listening to MP3 tunes—with no fear of frying your iPod. These rugged plastic housings protect your iPod or iPod Mini from spray, splashes, rain and dunks. They’re submersible to 10’, so you could even snorkel or swim laps while listening to your favorite music. Includes waterproof silicone earplugs and headset. Made of virtually indestructible airtight ABS plastic, so you know your electronics are safe!

These cases may seem a bit pricey at first, but consider the cost of replacing a waterlogged iPod.

Mini case fits iPod Mini 4GB and 6GB
4G case fits iPod 4GB, 20GB and 40GB
Does not fit iPod photo or iPod Nano
iPods not included

Waterproof Case for 4G iPod 7493224 S4-1A1 Sale $129.99 USD
Waterproof Case for iPod Mini 7493182 S2-1A1 Sale $129.99 USD

_DiZZ_
10-18-2005, 03:41 PM

Thanks in advance.

1 you can rip CDA (CD audio) into MP3 with Itunes...
2 No skip
3 Rather than take and expensive item in and out of the boat i opted for a new head unit that will play's MP3's. Just burn what ya want to disk and you have about 10 hours of music. :guitar: :headbang: (ITunes will do this too)
4 I have an IRiver 128mg and Sandisk 1G

Workin' 4 Toys
10-18-2005, 04:32 PM
Have you seen this thing yet? And I thought the nano was small.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-18-2005, 04:33 PM
Comparable to a.........
This thing has 1G storage with an LCD

SKI*MC
10-18-2005, 05:25 PM
i have the iPOD 20 gig, and i am please with it for the most part, i have a had a few problems with it. The first one i got, it was recognized by the computer, the one they replaced froze up and didnt turn on for a few days, its fine now though, for reasons unknown. But my recomendation is to stay away from the nano, they are still new to the market and havent had all the bugs worked out of them. I have heard of the screens cracking on them because they are so small and somewhat flexable. I would go with a mini ipod (not color screen) or a photo ipod (color screen and holds photos) but the new one that just came out a few days ago holds music, photos, and even video!

BuoyChaser
10-18-2005, 07:55 PM
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/StoreReentry.wo?family=Certified&siteID=JWU6hEpoB3Q-PM66vtC7zT9rBM1lLqMBTQ

check out some of these refurbished iPods...still torn as to which one to get that will last us at least for a couple years until they come out with something NEWER!!!

love the techie stuff, to be able to have a SLALOM RIP SET and a BOAT CRUISE and a WAKEBOARD RUN mode...downloaded iTunes today and copied over some songs from a buddy to sort through which ones i like, VERY COOL!!!

but the MP3 CD is a great idea too, just throwing in a CD...does the '05 factory installed Clarion play MP3???

east tx skier
10-21-2005, 12:21 AM
i have an Ipod and i love it!!!. right ow i have about 3000 songs on it, but i bought the big boy about 2 years ago, which holds 10,000 and i have a ways to go. you can hook it up to anything with speakers. i'm a carpenter and i hook mine up to the jobsite raidio during the workday. it's also more versitile than other mp3 players. can run on just about any music program such as itunes(preferred). and you can hook your ipod up to other computers and transfer music back and forth. the ipod can be used for other applications such as a datebook, photo album and pda. since the Nano is new, there preobably are very few accesories for it, unlike the ipod and ipod mini, but i'm sure there will be in time. they're also built like a tank. i tried to break mine so i could send it back for another(long story) and it was pretty indestructable, i had to sh0ve an icepick inside to break it. there are no interchangable hd's. the hd is fixed unless you want to upgrade or somethign. there are a few sites that offer upgrades for the battery and memory. they come with kits that include the new hardware and tools to open your ipod. you can also have your ipod painted at onen particular site, just about every color imagineable, i'm sure they can match your boat as well. some companies make cases and holders for the ipods that would be be siuted for your boat. somer are water resistant cases and can protect the ipod in just about any condidtion. i'm a pretty bing ipod geek, so if there's any more questions, i'd be happy to answer

Okay, I keep forgetting to ask this. Is there a program you can use to convert itunes (or whatever file they are) to mp3, .wav files, or cda files so you can burn them to cd? Or is that included in the ipod software? Haven't taken the ipod plunge yet, but have a friend with a ton on itunes I'd like to, er uh, borrow.

BuoyChaser
10-21-2005, 09:32 AM
Is there a program you can use to convert itunes (or whatever file they are) to mp3, .wav files, or cda files so you can burn them to cd? Or is that included in the ipod software? Haven't taken the ipod plunge yet, but have a friend with a ton on itunes I'd like to, er uh, borrow.

actually iTunes makes it quite easy to do "BACK-UPS" of music from any computer...if the songs are transferred from BOUGHT CDs they can be shared from numerous computers...if the songs are bought from iTunes, you have to authenticate the song in order to play it (checks computer ids, so can only be authenticated on like 4 computers)...need the original person who bought the songs iTunes ID and PASSWORD...

the format that iTunes converts all your music to is MPEG-4
"Your iPod can play MPEG-4 AAC files downloaded from the iTunes Music Store or encoded using iTunes. However, not all digital music players can play MPEG-4 AAC files."

Workin' 4 Toys
10-21-2005, 09:39 AM
Okay, I keep forgetting to ask this. Is there a program you can use to convert itunes (or whatever file they are) to mp3, .wav files, or cda files so you can burn them to cd? Or is that included in the ipod software? Haven't taken the ipod plunge yet, but have a friend with a ton on itunes I'd like to, er uh, borrow.
I have an ipod the little one, for about 1 1/2 years now. My wife likes some of my music too. So instead of getting another one, we bought one of those portable hard drives,"jump drives" and load the music right from itunes onto it. Then got a rf transmitter for it. Works like a charm. I think the one she has also plugs into the cigarette lighter for power, and it was like $20.00. If you are interested, I will find out exactly what she has. I think it holds about 20 or 30 songs, but you can change as often as you want, and it plugs into the usb port.

ski_king
10-21-2005, 10:48 AM
I got 2 of these for my kids at $50.00 each (256 Meg). I like them so well I bought a 1 gig version for myself for $75.00 on ebay.

Works pretty good, runs on AAA battery which lasts about 10 hours.
I might bite on a Ipod Mini or Creative Zen Micro around Christmas.

east tx skier
10-21-2005, 12:10 PM
Yeah, but mp4s can be converted. But if I understand you correctly, I'll need the computer ID and pword to convert (or is it that I'll always need that to play them). I need to upgrade my DVD player to one that plays mp4s. Great technology. Nothing like getting an entire movie on a CD with hardly any loss in quality. Apparently, that's how they're going to get HD on DVD.

actually iTunes makes it quite easy to do "BACK-UPS" of music from any computer...if the songs are transferred from BOUGHT CDs they can be shared from numerous computers...if the songs are bought from iTunes, you have to authenticate the song in order to play it (checks computer ids, so can only be authenticated on like 4 computers)...need the original person who bought the songs iTunes ID and PASSWORD...

the format that iTunes converts all your music to is MPEG-4
"Your iPod can play MPEG-4 AAC files downloaded from the iTunes Music Store or encoded using iTunes. However, not all digital music players can play MPEG-4 AAC files."

BuoyChaser
10-21-2005, 03:01 PM
only on the files that are PURCHASED from iTUNES, would you need the USERNAME/PASSWORD of whoever first bought it...

check out this article on best digital format by CNET, 10/21/05 "Best format for digitizing my CD collection" http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-10149-0.html?forumID=7&threadID=131773&messageID=1486672&tag=nl.e406

east tx skier
10-21-2005, 03:40 PM
I'll check it out. I presume mp4 (.shn is great, but it's old). I don't have an ipod, so I may look into musicmatch for $.99 downloads. They are 165 bit wmas, but I'd only be downloading stuff that I wouldn't buy the whole cd to hear.

For most of my stuff, I still prefer the entire album experience.

east tx skier
10-21-2005, 03:46 PM
I have an ipod the little one, for about 1 1/2 years now. My wife likes some of my music too. So instead of getting another one, we bought one of those portable hard drives,"jump drives" and load the music right from itunes onto it. Then got a rf transmitter for it. Works like a charm. I think the one she has also plugs into the cigarette lighter for power, and it was like $20.00. If you are interested, I will find out exactly what she has. I think it holds about 20 or 30 songs, but you can change as often as you want, and it plugs into the usb port.

Thanks, but I'm not ready to bite on the mp3 player yet. Were I to do it, I'd go for the superhuge one and spend a few days dumping my entire cd collection on it. Until then, the mp3 player in my boat's deck will do me fine and I'll keep spinning cds.

BuoyChaser
10-21-2005, 04:15 PM
ahhh, you're an old bootlegger spinnin' the SHN files...those aren't old, just lossless compressed music file format, popular with all us college PHISHheads...still ALIVE AND WELL and totally against the MP3 craze, check it out at http://www.etree.org

east tx skier
10-21-2005, 05:49 PM
Hee hee, ya got me. Many shows under my belt.

I'm also the owner of a Sony MD.

sassydog
10-21-2005, 06:25 PM

you can use itunes to burn cds as well, and now that you can buy short movies and tv shows, i'm sure you can burn those too.

mitch
10-21-2005, 11:03 PM
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/StoreReentry.wo?family=Certified&siteID=JWU6hEpoB3Q-PM66vtC7zT9rBM1lLqMBTQ

check out some of these refurbished iPods...still torn as to which one to get that will last us at least for a couple years until they come out with something NEWER!!!

love the techie stuff, to be able to have a SLALOM RIP SET and a BOAT CRUISE and a WAKEBOARD RUN mode...downloaded iTunes today and copied over some songs from a buddy to sort through which ones i like, VERY COOL!!!

but the MP3 CD is a great idea too, just throwing in a CD...does the '05 factory installed Clarion play MP3???

I think the 05 has the XMD3-RET and I don't think it plays mp3's. How stupid is that? Scott, you still skiing? It 33 outside right now and we're heading out on the AM for a few runs. My buddy still has his PS in the water. :D Breaking out the drysuit for sure :headbang:

mitch
10-22-2005, 04:54 PM
I think the 05 has the XMD3-RET and I don't think it plays mp3's. How stupid is that? Scott, you still skiing? It 33 outside right now and we're heading out on the AM for a few runs. My buddy still has his PS in the water. :D Breaking out the drysuit for sure :headbang:

We skied, 44 air, and maybe 54 water. Glass! :toast:

erkoehler
10-22-2005, 05:44 PM
We skied, 44 air, and maybe 54 water. Glass! :toast:

Atleast you got out :mad:

east tx skier
10-22-2005, 11:57 PM
Well, I dumped about $20 on a bunch of songs from musicmatch last night. Farily decent selection. Sort of the same thing. You have to use the mm software to burn, but once you do, from all I can tell, the cda files are no longer copy protected.

erkoehler
10-23-2005, 12:03 AM
What did you get? Anything good? :)

east tx skier
10-23-2005, 12:06 AM
Bunch of random stuff (mostly old) that falls under the category "I wouldn't buy the whole cd for it," i.e., couple of tunes from the 1st Kill Bill soundtrack, Funk #49 by the James Gang, Rubber Band Man, The Rooster by Outkast etc.

Actually, I've been tempted to pick up some Outkast cds, but have been lazy about it.

SKI*MC
10-23-2005, 12:09 AM
what kind of music are you into?

erkoehler
10-23-2005, 12:09 AM
Are you talking about buying the actual cd's or getting them online?

erkoehler
10-23-2005, 12:13 AM
Do me a favor, go to www.target.com and find the CD by outkast you want and give me the title.

What genre are they considered to be a part of?

east tx skier
10-23-2005, 12:45 AM
I'm into all sorts of stuff. But I don't like any country music written after 1980 as a general rule. I'm talking about actual cds (I'm a listen to the whole album guy). The mp3 stuff is just for the stuff where I wouldn't want the whole album.

I don't know that I really want the cd. I just liked this song and had heard good things about the cd. They are hip hop I suppose. It's a double cd called Speakerboxxx/The Love Below.

BuoyChaser
10-23-2005, 12:59 AM

worked on replacing the airline on my accusink, was having problems with it leaking water into the system...found a couple places where the air tubing was split...got the permanent anchors and the lines pulled tight, so ready to RAISE NEXT SPRING!!!

so after spending all afternoon workin' on it, only had enough time and brave enough for my buddy Kirk to go...he was so frozen afterwards, i decided it wasn't worth it!!!lake temp registered 52 and air temp was 42 at 5pm, BRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrr...

Workin' 4 Toys
10-23-2005, 11:20 PM
Do me a favor, go to www.target.com (http://www.target.com/) and find the CD by outkast you want and give me the title.

What genre are they considered to be a part of?
Id say it fits in dance/hiphop.

BuoyChaser
10-24-2005, 12:15 AM
broke down and bought the wife a refurbished 4gig PINK iPod Mini...that way she knows it is hers!!!

i've got an iRiver, so have to make that work for awhile until i can get my OWN!!!

Workin' 4 Toys
10-24-2005, 10:00 AM
broke down and bought the wife a refurbished 4gig PINK iPod Mini...that way she knows it is hers!!!

i've got an iRiver, so have to make that work for awhile until i can get my OWN!!!
My cousin has the one with the pink on it, isn't it like a rubbery coating?

BuoyChaser
10-24-2005, 12:30 PM
i'll find out in a couple days, but don't think it does have the rubbery coating...that's like an add-on silicone case you can get in different colors...this one is ACTUALLY PINK on the front instead of WHITE!!!

mitch
10-24-2005, 02:45 PM
i'll find out in a couple days, but don't think it does have the rubbery coating...that's like an add-on silicone case you can get in different colors...this one is ACTUALLY PINK on the front instead of WHITE!!!

Nothing rubber on the mini and it'll be pink all the way around (alum?). Hopefully you get a 2nd gen refurb as the batt life is much better.

BuoyChaser
10-24-2005, 03:14 PM
it's the wife's so she'll be happy no matter what!!!by the time i'm ready for one next summer, there will be another style released by xmas i'm sure!!!

mitch
10-24-2005, 04:32 PM
The new video version is awesome. $300 for 30G 2.5" color. Not goona do much batter than that. As for Ipods, I doubt there will be a new style coming out for while now, but w/ Jobs ya never know.

BuoyChaser
10-24-2005, 04:36 PM
think the video portion will be HUGE...just don't think the wife will figure out that one as easy as the mini...seemed more confusing when i checked them both out at Best Buy...plus $160 compared to $300 is huge for me right now!!!

have you checked out the Air Trakker's and LCD displays for your boat, check them out at http://www.wakevideo.com

they work great, especially for improvin' technique...lovin' to have it hooked up next year for every ski session, need to get a DVD video camera to make life easier than transfering Digital 8 all the time!!!

mitch
10-24-2005, 04:43 PM
think the video portion will be HUGE...just don't think the wife will figure out that one as easy as the mini...seemed more confusing when i checked them both out at Best Buy...plus $160 compared to $300 is huge for me right now!!!

have you checked out the Air Trakker's and LCD displays for your boat, check them out at http://www.wakevideo.com

they work great, especially for improvin' technique...lovin' to have it hooked up next year for every ski session, need to get a DVD video camera to make life easier than transfering Digital 8 all the time!!!

Not sure the video portion will be a big deal for a while, I'd just treat it like a IPOD and also dump all my dig pics on it. She'll love the mini, I love mine, I have the green :D

My buddy just removed a ton of video equipment from his Malibu. 2 Cameras, 2 screens, DVD player, VHS?, etc. he was trying to get me to buy it from him at the end of the season. He was using it a spotters mirror, and I think his taped to VHS

BuoyChaser
10-24-2005, 04:56 PM
My buddy just removed a ton of video equipment from his Malibu. 2 Cameras, 2 screens, DVD player, VHS?, etc. he was trying to get me to buy it from him at the end of the season. He was using it a spotters mirror, and I think his taped to VHS

like to see a picture of his setup!!!sounds a little busy for the boat...the tower trakker works GREAT, especially since you can also buy an LCD display from them as well so as the driver you can watch all the tricks...so much better than the mirror!!!

Workin' 4 Toys
10-24-2005, 04:57 PM
The new video version is awesome. $300 for 30G 2.5" color. Not goona do much batter than that. As for Ipods, I doubt there will be a new style coming out for while now, but w/ Jobs ya never know.
Isn't the newest IPOD a cell phone too? Not sure what model, but I am sure they are going to extend off that platform.

mitch
10-24-2005, 05:10 PM
Isn't the newest IPOD a cell phone too? Not sure what model, but I am sure they are going to extend off that platform.

There is a new cell phone out that stores 100 +/- songs, and I'd agree that's the way it's heading

Workin' 4 Toys
10-24-2005, 05:13 PM
There is a new cell phone out that stores 100 +/- songs, and I'd agree that's the way it's heading
If they make the Ipod/cell phone into a two way nextel/sprint radio, I will own one.

BuoyChaser
10-24-2005, 05:59 PM
anyone remember the days of Handspring and their TREO, where they incorporated a Handheld Palm Pilot and Phone in one...huge failure, because concept was ahead of the technology...will be interesting to see what Bluetooth technology can bring to the table!!!

BuoyChaser
10-26-2005, 09:49 PM
what's everyone's favorite ADRENALINE PUMPIN' SONG???

"Dirt Off Your Shoulder" by Jay-Z (The Black Album)

mitch
10-26-2005, 10:00 PM
Limp Bizkit....Livin' it up

BuoyChaser
10-26-2005, 10:52 PM
Limp Bizkit....Livin' it up
which one is that???

SKI*MC
10-26-2005, 11:00 PM
what's everyone's favorite ADRENALINE PUMPIN' SONG???

"Dirt Off Your Shoulder" by Jay-Z (The Black Album)

thats a good one, other wise Slipknot or Disurbed will always get the blood going.

shepherd
10-26-2005, 11:08 PM
If they make the Ipod/cell phone into a two way nextel/sprint radio, I will own one.

I just bought a new cell phone -- Motorla RZR. I thought about the iPod cell phone but some reviews I read about it said the quality is pretty poor. Not comparable to a regular iPod. I forgot the details but decided to go ahead with a regular cell phone and I'm planning on buying an iPod separately...

SKI*MC
10-26-2005, 11:14 PM
my friend has a RAZR and it nice, its very small, but he hasnt broken it yet. And my other friend the the ROKR with itunes, its nice, i wouldnt get it though, unless it was super cheap. I already have an ipod.

shepherd
11-09-2005, 01:37 AM
Got my new nano finally (wife had to order it for my birthday and they were on back order or something). I'm sitting here with it plugged into my ears now. The sound quality is as good as I hoped. :) And this thing is tiny! Hope I don't lose it.

I can't wait to try it out when I go jogging tomorrow. Light weight, no skipping! Now, how do I carry it? I guess I can put it in my cd player carry case until I figure something better out.

bucky
11-09-2005, 07:00 AM
Well, I was going to change the songs in my 2Gb black nano tonight (2Gb fills up fast!), and it worked fine before I plugged it in...
My iBook laptop never launched iTunes. It just has the message on the iPod screen "do not unplug". since there was no "eject" button to hit, I shut down the laptop and unplugged it, but no dice. $200 down the pooper chute.:cry: :cry:

erkoehler
11-09-2005, 07:38 AM
Sounds like you should return it and get a new one! :mad:

shepherd
11-09-2005, 11:40 AM
Well, I was going to change the songs in my 2Gb black nano tonight (2Gb fills up fast!), and it worked fine before I plugged it in...
My iBook laptop never launched iTunes. It just has the message on the iPod screen "do not unplug". since there was no "eject" button to hit, I shut down the laptop and unplugged it, but no dice. $200 down the pooper chute.:cry: :cry:

Yeah, I kind of had the same problem. I read somewhere in one of the online manuals that if you get the "do not disconnect" message on your iPod but you're not downloading or updating or anything, to just go ahead and disconnect it.

That probably won't solve your problem though. I reset my nano, rebooted my computer, that didn't work. Then I made sure I had the latest versions of the iTunes (I didn't) and the iPod software (I did) on my computer -- downloaded from their web site (apple.com/ipod). Then, just to cover all bases, I "restored" my nano according to the directions in the manual. I don't know what did it, but it seems to be working fine now. :o

bucky
11-09-2005, 10:59 PM
Well, it worked itself out.The battery finally ran dead last night, and when I plugged it in, it started up like it was supposed to. I assume it's a software bug and not smoking circuits that are the culprit.

erkoehler
11-10-2005, 12:31 AM
Well, it worked itself out.The battery finally ran dead last night, and when I plugged it in, it started up like it was supposed to. I assume it's a software bug and not smoking circuits that are the culprit.

Glad to hear that it fixed itself.....what are you going to do about the software problem now?

bucky
11-10-2005, 12:40 AM
I don't know. I can't take it back, though. It was driving me crazy not knowing how they squeezed everything into that little package, and since I thought it was fried at the time, I kinda sorta disassembled it.
It's back together now, but it has some telltale scratches, not to mention my finigerprints all in it.:D

erkoehler
11-10-2005, 12:55 AM
I don't know. I can't take it back, though. It was driving me crazy not knowing how they squeezed everything into that little package, and since I thought it was fried at the time, I kinda sorta disassembled it.
It's back together now, but it has some telltale scratches, not to mention my finigerprints all in it.:D

Where did you buy it from? Do you still have the box, packaging, and the receipt?

shepherd
11-11-2005, 11:40 PM
Well, I've been loading tunes onto the new Nano, which has 4GB and is advertised to hold up to 1,000 songs. I couldn't get more than 150 or 160 songs on it. I was loading some of my favorite CDs onto it.

Anyone know why I'm not getting anywhere near 1,000 songs on my Nano? Is it because the tunes loaded from the CDs don't get compressed as much? I'm converting/loading them through iTunes...

Workin' 4 Toys
11-11-2005, 11:42 PM
Well, I've been loading tunes onto the new Nano, which has 4GB and is advertised to hold up to 1,000 songs. I couldn't get more than 150 or 160 songs on it. I was loading some of my favorite CDs onto it.

Anyone know why I'm not getting anywhere near 1,000 songs on my Nano? Is it because the tunes loaded from the CDs don't get compressed as much? I'm converting/loading them through iTunes...
What "kind" of file are you saving them as?

Workin' 4 Toys
11-11-2005, 11:46 PM
Sounds like you should return it and get a new one! :mad:
Problem is, if you have to send in a "new" one, they send you a "referbished" one from inventory.
I plan to replace my own battery in mind next year. They practically just crack open anyway.

shepherd
11-11-2005, 11:56 PM
What "kind" of file are you saving them as?

I don't know. I just followed the instructions: Open iTunes. Put CD in your computer. Deselect the songs you don't want. Click the Import button.

This apparently puts the songs on my computer's hard drive. Then I can drag and drop the songs onto my Nano.

I've only had this thing for a couple days so I'm still trying to figure it out. Hell, I just learned how to burn my own music mix CDs a few months ago after I bought this new computer. :o

Workin' 4 Toys
11-11-2005, 11:58 PM
I don't know. I just followed the instructions: Open iTunes. Put CD in your computer. Deselect the songs you don't want. Click the Import button.

This apparently puts the songs on my computer's hard drive. Then I can drag and drop the songs onto my Nano.

I've only had this thing for a couple days so I'm still trying to figure it out. Hell, I just learned how to burn my own music mix CDs a few months ago after I bought this new computer. :o
Open Itunes, right click in the "NAME" field , and from the list select "KIND" and make sure there is a check next to it. Then you will see what you saved each file as. Let me know.

SKI*MC
11-11-2005, 11:59 PM
thats weird it doesnt just go into itunes, that what it is supposed to do, then once its in your library, go under file and update ipod. That should put the songs on there, in stead of draging them.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-12-2005, 12:04 AM
I just looked at mine. I have 950 songs loaded on it for 2.6 days 3.64 Gig. I have about 1/2 of my list checked, and about 1/2 of my collection on the computer.

mitch
11-12-2005, 12:11 AM
Problem is, if you have to send in a "new" one, they send you a "referbished" one from inventory.
I plan to replace my own battery in mind next year. They practically just crack open anyway.

How tough is it on a mini? Crack it open, a little soldering and your done??? Batt is doing OK, but you can see it aint quite what it used to be. Thx

shepherd
11-12-2005, 12:13 AM
Open Itunes, right click in the "NAME" field , and from the list select "KIND" and make sure there is a check next to it. Then you will see what you saved each file as. Let me know.

OK, I checked one that I downloaded from CD: AIFF Audio file, 56.2 MB

And one bought and downloaded directly from iTunes.com: MPEG-4 Audio file, 4.24 MB

Well there you go... that explains it :cool: Thanks for the help Workin'. I owe you a beer.

Now, is there some way to convert these AIFF files to MPEG-4? I see an option when I right click on the song name to convert to AIFF.

shepherd
11-12-2005, 12:16 AM
thats weird it doesnt just go into itunes, that what it is supposed to do, then once its in your library, go under file and update ipod. That should put the songs on there, in stead of draging them.

I haven't tried the "update ipod" option because I thought it would throw everything on my computer onto the iPod (??). Like I said, I'm still learning this system. But I love the iPod -- it's like having my 300 disc CD player in my shirt pocket! only better

Workin' 4 Toys
11-12-2005, 12:19 AM
Now, is there some way to convert these AIFF files to MPEG-4? I see an option when I right click on the song name to convert to AIFF.
Yes, exactly. Just give it a minute or so per song after you do that. It goes gray and then shows "incomplete" in the time column while it "thinks"

I had to change some "KINDS" to be able to use Itunes with other portable devices. So I have a few songs with multiple "KINDS".

Workin' 4 Toys
11-12-2005, 12:22 AM
I haven't tried the "update ipod" option because I thought it would throw everything on my computer onto the iPod (??). Like I said, I'm still learning this system. But I love the iPod -- it's like having my 300 disc CD player in my shirt pocket! only better

Nope, that should be all you have to do. Plug it in, you can set it so it does that automatically. But then after you make any changes you should do it again. (DO NOT UNPLUG IT WHILE IT IS UPDATING!!!)
It only updates the songs you have selected (AKA checkmarked)

SKI*MC
11-12-2005, 12:22 AM

Nope, just everything thats in the itunes library. Yeah the 300 cds is true. i have a 20 gig, and I only have some 700 songs, and 50 CD's on it. I love it!

Workin' 4 Toys
11-12-2005, 12:23 AM
I owe you a beer.
Thanks, I'll consider this frosty ice COLD Miller Lite in my hand right now even. CHEERS!!

Big Spray
11-12-2005, 12:30 AM
Comparable to a.........
This thing has 1G storage with an LCD

No way . Is that a giant thumb tack?

Workin' 4 Toys
11-12-2005, 12:38 AM
No way . Is that a giant thumb tack?
No, my buddy saw one. (SO he tells me) He is HUGE into techy stuff. Looks for that kind of thing all the time. He says its real size compared to a normal tack and was (I think) $149.00. I would think the connector for the headphones would be bigger than the device it self.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-12-2005, 12:39 AM
I thought the perfect comparison would have been a Die.

SKI*MC
12-07-2005, 10:42 PM
i have a question about Podcast's. i noticed my ipod has podcasts, and my friend told me that it is radio stations. How do i get them onto my ipod, and does this cost money? Anyone out there know?

BuoyChaser
12-07-2005, 11:16 PM
just download the podcasts right to iTunes...you heard about Heffner's new Bodcasts, didn't you???they're free...haven't checked them out yet, but heard they're BIG!!!

bigmac
12-08-2005, 12:13 AM
just download the podcasts right to iTunes...you heard about Heffner's new Bodcasts, didn't you???they're free...haven't checked them out yet, but heard they're BIG!!!

I note that Tivo will now (or soon) convert anything it records to MPEG4 and upload to the new video iPod, which will store 150 hours of video or work as an MP3 player, or both.

SKI*MC
12-08-2005, 12:27 AM
where do i get podcast?

Leroy
12-08-2005, 09:26 AM
This is going to be great! I heard about this at work.

I note that Tivo will now (or soon) convert anything it records to MPEG4 and upload to the new video iPod, which will store 150 hours of video or work as an MP3 player, or both.

mitch
12-08-2005, 09:29 AM

too bad the battery life on the new IPOD is 2hrs for video

SKI*MC
12-17-2005, 12:25 AM
i figured out how to get podcasts, anyone know any good ones?

east tx skier
12-22-2005, 06:25 PM
Well, after much patience/resistance, I'm going to take the plunge and get an ipod on or after December 26. Wife and I received the 512 Ipod shuffle with a gift receipt taped to it (in case we wanted to upgrade). After reading that the sound quality wasn't as good on the shuffle, we decided to go for a Nano. But after reading reviews that the Nano had had some screen cracking issues and was, perhaps less sturdy than the famed mini, we decided to buck up and get a 30 gig video ipod. Although the nano can play video, that'd fill up 4 gigs in a hurry. And the 30 gig is only $50 more. So that's that. I've been playing on itunes in preparation and will bellyflop into this geekdom by next week.

Carry on.

BriEOD
12-22-2005, 06:33 PM
I bought my wife a Nano for X-mas. They even engraved her name on the back. I'll let you know what I think ...

east tx skier
12-22-2005, 06:36 PM
I saw that from Apple about the engraving. The nanos look really slick. I think I read that the screen problems were only a small percentage of the first gen of shipments. From what I've read, a case is strongly recommended. Did you get the white or the black one?

BriEOD
12-22-2005, 06:44 PM
I got her the white one. She doesn't care much for black i.e. see the applicances in our kitchen.

east tx skier
12-22-2005, 06:46 PM
We're going for the white one, too. I'd think the black ones, while good looking, would show scratches pretty easy.

BriEOD
12-22-2005, 06:57 PM
Nice observation.

rodltg2
12-22-2005, 06:58 PM
who cares if it scratches, its an ipod for cryin out loud , not your mc.

Kell
12-22-2005, 07:23 PM
I've been looking at the nano as well. ETS, is there any difference in the sound quality from the nano and the video you're looking at?

Leroy
12-22-2005, 07:28 PM
I bought our daughter a Nano for Christmas, amazed at how small they are!

bigmac
12-22-2005, 07:48 PM
I bought our daughter a Nano for Christmas, amazed at how small they are!Bought one for my wife a month ago - no scratches despite fairly hard use (horse trainer/trail boss). I suspect she's getting me a 60 gig iPod - happened to see the receipt in the laser printer.

mitch
12-22-2005, 07:52 PM
who cares if it scratches, its an ipod for cryin out loud , not your mc.

Some were scratching so bad, it was tough to read the screen

mitch
12-22-2005, 07:56 PM
Well, after much patience/resistance, I'm going to take the plunge and get an ipod on or after December 26. Wife and I received the 512 Ipod shuffle with a gift receipt taped to it (in case we wanted to upgrade). After reading that the sound quality wasn't as good on the shuffle, we decided to go for a Nano. But after reading reviews that the Nano had had some screen cracking issues and was, perhaps less sturdy than the famed mini, we decided to buck up and get a 30 gig video ipod. Although the nano can play video, that'd fill up 4 gigs in a hurry. And the 30 gig is only $50 more. So that's that. I've been playing on itunes in preparation and will bellyflop into this geekdom by next week.

Carry on.

Good move Doug, get the 30G video version, and FWIW skip the engraving. Ya never know who will have it in 6 months. Cya!

shepherd
12-22-2005, 08:36 PM
I've had mine for almost 2 months now and it's great. Especially for jogging and working out at the gym, the light weight/small size is much appreciated, and of course the lack of skipping, etc that I had with the Discman... Wonder why I waited so long. :confused: I'm not worried about scratches as long as I can read the screen OK. I also got a case, mainly so I can carry it on my belt or on my arm, but it also protects it.

BriEOD
12-22-2005, 08:36 PM
Bought one for my wife a month ago - no scratches despite fairly hard use (horse trainer/trail boss). I suspect she's getting me a 60 gig iPod - happened to see the receipt in the laser printer.
Snoopin' huh? :confused: Santa's watching Mac!! 8p

bigmac
12-22-2005, 11:45 PM
Snoopin' huh? :confused: Santa's watching Mac!! 8pShe prints receipts for virtually everything she buys from her computer in the kitchen to the printer upstairs in the computer room, but she always leaves them just sitting in the tray. Evnetually it gets so full that it stops the printer, but she'd never know it because she's downstairs. So I have to empty the tray.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

mitch
12-23-2005, 11:03 AM
http://ihomeaudio.com/flash/default.asp

Got this for my son for xmas. Have not heard it yet, but it looked pretty nice. Got the adapter for his Nano and I also got one my for mini for when he's not using it :D

shepherd
12-23-2005, 11:34 AM
http://ihomeaudio.com/flash/default.asp

Got this for my son for xmas. Have not heard it yet, but it looked pretty nice. Got the adapter for his Nano and I also got one my for mini for when he's not using it :D

I've been looking for ways to play my Nano through other stereos, like the home stereo and car and boat units. I'd like to be able to listen to it without having to wear the earplugs all the time. I got a cable that I could plug into the Nano's headphone jack and into the "Tape" input for my stereo receiver. It works, but there is definitely some loss in sound quality.

Has any of you used those "radio-frequency" units that supposedly plays your iPod over the airways that can be picked up by your car radio or home stereo receiver? I was wondering how good those work.

SKI*MC
12-23-2005, 12:58 PM
If you are looking to go into an Ipod dock that can play music off it, BOSE has one that sounds absolutely amazing! Its a little bit more piricey, but anything from them is worth it! :headbang: :headbang:

mitch
12-23-2005, 01:16 PM
I've been looking for ways to play my Nano through other stereos, like the home stereo and car and boat units. I'd like to be able to listen to it without having to wear the earplugs all the time. I got a cable that I could plug into the Nano's headphone jack and into the "Tape" input for my stereo receiver. It works, but there is definitely some loss in sound quality.

Has any of you used those "radio-frequency" units that supposedly plays your iPod over the airways that can be picked up by your car radio or home stereo receiver? I was wondering how good those work.

I've tried an FM x-mitter called Itrip and it works ok, not great. If you have a good home system, I'm sure you can get a docking setup and run it thru aux on the home system. You want to get the audio signal thru the other end of the Ipod vs. headphone jack for best quality.

mitch
12-23-2005, 01:20 PM
If you are looking to go into an Ipod dock that can play music off it, BOSE has one that sounds absolutely amazing! Its a little bit more piricey, but anything from them is worth it! :headbang: :headbang:

I'm sure the Bose system rocks, but it's like 300 bucks. This one was 100, and expectations are set well below what I would expect from Bose. I want their noice canceling headphones bad, but 300 bucks ***. They're making em in China for frieking 19 bucks tops

rodltg2
12-23-2005, 02:47 PM
i bought the altec lansing dockdock station one for 250, this thing rocks for how small.

bigmac
12-23-2005, 02:58 PM
My daughter's solution was a standard Bose Wave Radio/CD with her iPod hooked into the AUX jack.

A better solution (cheaper than Bose Wave) is the unit from Cambridge Soundworks (http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=best_radio) .

shepherd
12-23-2005, 08:08 PM
You want to get the audio signal thru the other end of the Ipod vs. headphone jack for best quality.

Do you mean through the USB connection on my Nano instead of the headphone jack? Are there special cables for that? Or do I need a stereo receiver with a USB connection?

SKI*MC
12-23-2005, 09:47 PM
They're making em in China for frieking 19 bucks tops[/QUOTE]

The sad part is you are completely right!

mitch
12-24-2005, 09:06 AM
Do you mean through the USB connection on my Nano instead of the headphone jack? Are there special cables for that? Or do I need a stereo receiver with a USB connection?

I'm thinking of a docking station w/ audio out that would connect to home stereo via aux. I have one for my portable XM MyFi, and I'm sure they exist for the Ipod's. Plug into the docking station which provides power and line out.

bigmac
12-24-2005, 11:40 AM
I'm thinking of a docking station w/ audio out that would connect to home stereo via aux. I have one for my portable XM MyFi, and I'm sure they exist for the Ipod's. Plug into the docking station which provides power and line out.

All of the Apple iPod docks (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=MA072G/A) (about $30) do that. They have a 3.5 minijack on the back of the dock that is line out. YOu could just buy Apple's dock, plug it into a wall adapter for charging and an RCA-to-minijack cable for the stereo AUX connection. Note that the dock doesn't come with any cables, so the most seamless solution would be the dock, an RCA-minijack adapter, an Apple USB cable, and AC power adapter all sitting by the stereo so that you could dock it and play it through the stereo, but still pop it out of the dock and take it over to connect it to your computer without having to unplug-replug a bunch of cable. IOW, you might want to buy an extra power adapter and USB cable along with the dock.

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/lm_altview_ma072ga.jpg

One other line-out solution is THIS ONE (http://www.drbott.com/prod/db.lasso?code=5223-PDLS) from Dr. Bott. You can plug the iPod into the wall AC adapter for charging, and there's a 3.5 minijack-based line-out port that would allow you to connect to AUX on your stereo with a simple minijack-RCA cable ($3 at Radio Shack). This might be a good boat or car solution if one's stereo head unit has an AUX connection.

http://www.drbott.com/images/sm/5223-PDLS.jpg

It's worth noting that any iPod can be connected to a stereo's AUX connector via the headphone jack with nothing more than that same $3 RCA-to-minijack cable. The headphone jack isn't line out though, like the jack on the back of Apple's dock, so your stereo would end up with two volume controls, sort of - the iPod's and the stereo's. Kind of a nuisance, but you can just set the iPod volume to about the middle level, at which point the line level inputs match, approximately, and volume can be controlled from the stereo.

mitch
12-25-2005, 10:57 PM
I'm sure the Bose system rocks, but it's like 300 bucks. This one was 100, and expectations are set well below what I would expect from Bose. I want their noice canceling headphones bad, but 300 bucks ***. They're making em in China for frieking 19 bucks tops

Wife got me the Bose headphones for xmas. I was totally surprised. They are sooo nice! Merry Christmas all!

Leroy
12-25-2005, 11:29 PM
I'm really impressed with the Nano, other than one PC had install problem. We are a 3 iPod family and I have a 256Mb RCA Lyra! Something is wrong.

Bose is definitely the best, but I bought these PlaneQuiet headphones for $30 on the internet and they work quite well. Also work great in the van watching movies.

PlaneQuiet.com (http://www.protravelgear.com/store/Crew_Supplies___Headsets__Intercoms__and_Microphon es___Headsets___Outside_the_Box__Inc____Plane_Quie t_Noise_Canceling_Headphones___28?Args=&partner_id=)

BuoyChaser
12-26-2005, 12:12 AM
MITCH> nice on the Bose setup, such nice speakers...got an XM radio setup from my father-in-law, all the boys got them...bummed that the new '05 has Sirius in it though, trying to figure out a converter...

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=6345&goto=newpost

anyways, lovin' the randomness of the XM...now just need to route speakers throughout the house...my Family Handyman magazine had a recent issue, using Cat 5 cable to have a remote work in each room wired just to speakers in the room, rather than running speaker wires through the whole house...couldn't find it online, but here's their website http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/articles/articleindex/index_a.htm

i'll try to find more info when i find the magazine, too much xmas goodies and last minute clean-up to find it...

BuoyChaser
12-26-2005, 01:26 AM
check out this waterproof box for the Mini... http://www.smarthome.com/8992A.html

Waterproof Case Protects iPod Mini While Swimming
OtterBox iPod Mini Waterproof Case
8992A OtterBox iPod Mini Waterproof Case
$49.99
Waterproof case is safe to 3 feet, ideal for lap swimming
Fits 4- and 6-GB iPod Minis
Sand, dirt and drop protection

Defend your iPod Mini from your active lifestyle. Whether you want to listen at the gym, on the beach, or even while swimming laps in the pool, you can protect your MP3 player with the OtterBox iPod Mini Waterproof Case. Ideal for both 4GB and 6GB iPod Minis, the OtterBox is watertight to 3 feet (1 meter), so you can even take your iPod Mini swimming! The iPod Mini is sold separately.

You'll enjoy peace of mind as you exercise or play, since the OtterBox iPod Mini Waterproof Case features sand, dirt and drop protection. The iPod Mini button and wheel controls remain accessible through the OtterBox iPod Mini Waterproof Case's interactive membrane, so you'll be able to use your iPod Mini as usual while protecting it. Thanks to a sealed external jack, headphones remain usable through the case as well.

This OtterBox iPod Mini Waterproof Case will fit iPod minis. Water-resistant cases are also available for third-generation iPods and fourth-generation iPods.

Specifications

Otter Product No.: 913-01.2
UPC: 660543903123
Dimensions: 5 1/8" x 2 5/8" x 1 3/8"
iPods: 4- and 6-GB Minis
Waterproof Range: 3 feet (1m) max
Warranty: Lifetime, case only

mitch
12-26-2005, 09:55 AM
MITCH> nice on the Bose setup, such nice speakers...got an XM radio setup from my father-in-law, all the boys got them...bummed that the new '05 has Sirius in it though, trying to figure out a converter...

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=6345&goto=newpost

anyways, lovin' the randomness of the XM...now just need to route speakers throughout the house...my Family Handyman magazine had a recent issue, using Cat 5 cable to have a remote work in each room wired just to speakers in the room, rather than running speaker wires through the whole house...couldn't find it online, but here's their website http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/articles/articleindex/index_a.htm

i'll try to find more info when i find the magazine, too much xmas goodies and last minute clean-up to find it...

You'll love XM, I'm a huge fan. Typically I use the on-line version in the house, unless I'm in the gameroom shooting pool, then I use the docking station and regular stereo setup. Which one did you get? I have the Delphi MyFi.
We're heading to the lakehouse today w/ the fam for an overnighter. Wife is not totally jacked, but she's up for it. Crappy weather huh? Maybe it won't rain so much. Is the ice safe? Cya!

mitch
12-26-2005, 10:03 AM
[QUOTE=Leroy]I'm really impressed with the Nano, other than one PC had install problem. We are a 3 iPod family and I have a 256Mb RCA Lyra! Something is wrong.

Bose is definitely the best, but I bought these PlaneQuiet headphones for $30 on the internet and they work quite well. Also work great in the van watching movies.

Leroy, You'll love that Nano. My buddy came by for xmas w/ his, and he got this case. It was slick. There are some decent headphones out there, I had some $50 RS noise cancelling one's that were pretty good. I'm "almost" looking forward to my trip to Japan and Singapore next month w/ the new Bose.

BTW, Go get yourself the 30G Video IPOD, you deserve it!!

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4070213

BuoyChaser
12-26-2005, 10:22 AM
You'll love XM, I'm a huge fan. Typically I use the on-line version in the house, unless I'm in the gameroom shooting pool, then I use the docking station and regular stereo setup. Which one did you get? I have the Delphi MyFi.
We're heading to the lakehouse today w/ the fam for an overnighter. Wife is not totally jacked, but she's up for it. Crappy weather huh? Maybe it won't rain so much. Is the ice safe? Cya!

hmmm, the online version i'll have to check into that...trying to figure out a way to pump the sound into different rooms of the house...saw in my Family Handyman magazine an article on how to do it...i've got a new house and cat5 running to every room...

my father-in-law gave all of us boys the Delphi XM SKYFi2 http://www.xmradio.com/skyfi2/ which has the wireless FM modulator, haven't figured how far it will transmit yet...also go the Portable CD Audio System, which takes 6 D batteries so can transfer it around wherever we go...accept the antennae is a little clunky no wire management http://shopdelphi.com/consumers/satradio/skyfi/details/cdaudio/

wow that MyFi looks pretty awesome http://www.xmradio.com/myfi/index.jsp like the portability factor, that my SkyFi2 doesn't have...i'll have to hook up my iRiver to the headphone jack and record the songs that i want for portability...but the randomness is so cool, especially for entertaining...

guys were out on our pond yesterday ice fishing...didn't get out to check out the depth of their holes, but with all the rain and warm weather certainly not safe conditions...have a safe trip up to your camp!!!

Leroy
12-26-2005, 11:56 AM
Mitch;

I'm actuall waiting for 2nd gen. Video isn't quite good enough for me. I would like to see bigger screen and more resolution. The 320x240 is adequate for some things, but I would like to be able to watch movies on it.

12-26-2005, 01:23 PM
Hey my mom got my dad a iPod Nano for Christmas. Its awesome! I helped dad get music loaded on and I am heading there soon to help him finish. He loves that little gem. Its so darn small and lite. I was impressed. Nice little unit for sure. :woohoo:

bigmac
12-26-2005, 04:01 PM
Mitch;

I'm actuall waiting for 2nd gen. Video isn't quite good enough for me. I would like to see bigger screen and more resolution. The 320x240 is adequate for some things, but I would like to be able to watch movies on it.

Boy, I think the video on the video iPod is pretty amazing. My wife gave me a 60 gig for xmas. I've seen screwing around with downloading some video podcasts, and I downloaded the Battlestar Galactica miniseries to it. I've also converted a bunch of my own edited video to H.264 and even some PowerPoint presentations to the thing. Oh yeah, some music too :D .

I've been VERY impressed with the video quality. I don't think I'd be looking for resolution higher than 320x240...it's a standard resolution used by a wide variety of codecs. Apple would have to go to a whole new form factor iPod (bigger) to get more resolution. Certainly possible, but I'm not sure I'd want one that was bigger than my shirt pocket, or too heavy to carry it there.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-26-2005, 04:09 PM
Boy, I think the video on the video iPod is pretty amazing. My wife gave me a 60 gig for xmas. I've seen screwing around with downloading some video podcasts, and I downloaded the Battlestar Galactica miniseries to it. I've also converted a bunch of my own edited video to H.264 and even some PowerPoint presentations to the thing. Oh yeah, some music too :D .

I've been VERY impressed with the video quality. I don't think I'd be looking for resolution higher than 320x240...it's a standard resolution used by a wide variety of codecs. Apple would have to go to a whole new form factor iPod (bigger) to get more resolution. Certainly possible, but I'm not sure I'd want one that was bigger than my shirt pocket, or too heavy to carry it there.
What do you do to watch what you load? What is the benefit of having video?

bigmac
12-26-2005, 05:47 PM
What do you do to watch what you load? What is the benefit of having video?

On the iPod, you just click on a video or movie instead of a song. Powerpoints are stored as jpegs. You can play the video directly through iTunes and watch on your computer, or you can send the video out to any NTSC device (like a projector, for example) from the iPod via S-video and audio line-out. You can display and run an entire PowerPoint presentation from the iPod, including video, through virtually any projector.

Bottom line, the advantage to an iPod with video I forsee is the ability to store, transport, and watch video on a device that you can carry in your pocket, and can in turn display on itself, or through any NTSC device with composite and audio inputs (virtually any TV, projector, and most laptops).

I've been very interested in all forms of portable video technology because currently we are developing a wide variety of surgical teaching content. Our thrust has been web storage and streaming as well as multipoint real-time teleconferencing. I see real value in adding XML hooks to that website for an RSS feed and video podcasting the same content in addition to the live conference feed and stored video for later streaming.

Or, just watching BattleStar Galactica on the plane.

Kell
12-26-2005, 05:47 PM
Hey my mom got my dad a iPod Nano for Christmas. Its awesome! I helped dad get music loaded on and I am heading there soon to help him finish. He loves that little gem. Its so darn small and lite. I was impressed. Nice little unit for sure. :woohoo:Santa left a Ipod Nano for me as well, although I have not had a chance to check it out yet as I have spent the better part of yesterday and today putting toys together! :eek: Should I consider upgrading to the 30 or 60 Gig Ipod? I'm not up on all these new devices. Seems the Nano's 4gig/1,000 songes would be plenty for home play, auto and boat, but what do I know! Anything else I should be considering?

bigmac
12-26-2005, 05:55 PM
Santa left a Ipod Nano for me as well, although I have not had a chance to check it out yet as I have spent the better part of yesterday and today putting toys together! :eek: Should I consider upgrading to the 30 or 60 Gig Ipod? I'm not up on all these new devices. Seems the Nano's 4gig/1,000 songes would be plenty for home play, auto and boat, but what do I know! Anything else I should be considering?The only advantage to the 30 or 60 gig iPod is if you have any need or desire to use it for video. Otherwise, if it's just songs, the Nano is great unless you have more than 1000 songs you want to listen to, which is about 65 hours of music.

shepherd
12-26-2005, 08:22 PM
I got this thing called a "TransPod", an aftermarket iPod accessory that plugs into your cigarette lighter, has a dock for my Nano, and sends out music from my Nano over the airwaves to my car radio. I'm not too impressed... The sound quality is pretty poor, even without static, and I occasionally get static too which drives me crazy. I'm going to experiment with different frequencies, but I give it a week before I return it. I guess the dream of using my Nano for all my music needs is dying... :(

flipper
12-26-2005, 08:28 PM
No matter what you get, it will be out dated tomorrow. Makes for a hard decision, spend the money now and have it half price tomorrow, or get a cheaper one, and have it out dated when you hit the door of the store.

mitch
12-27-2005, 11:29 AM
hmmm, the online version i'll have to check into that...trying to figure out a way to pump the sound into different rooms of the house...saw in my Family Handyman magazine an article on how to do it...i've got a new house and cat5 running to every room...

my father-in-law gave all of us boys the Delphi XM SKYFi2 http://www.xmradio.com/skyfi2/ which has the wireless FM modulator, haven't figured how far it will transmit yet...also go the Portable CD Audio System, which takes 6 D batteries so can transfer it around wherever we go...accept the antennae is a little clunky no wire management http://shopdelphi.com/consumers/satradio/skyfi/details/cdaudio/

wow that MyFi looks pretty awesome http://www.xmradio.com/myfi/index.jsp like the portability factor, that my SkyFi2 doesn't have...i'll have to hook up my iRiver to the headphone jack and record the songs that i want for portability...but the randomness is so cool, especially for entertaining...

guys were out on our pond yesterday ice fishing...didn't get out to check out the depth of their holes, but with all the rain and warm weather certainly not safe conditions...have a safe trip up to your camp!!!

Ice is very safe here 5+" , just got done skating. I'm hanging a bit this AM. Hot tubbing and drinking last nite, never a good combo :cool:

mitch
12-27-2005, 11:35 AM
I got this thing called a "TransPod", an aftermarket iPod accessory that plugs into your cigarette lighter, has a dock for my Nano, and sends out music from my Nano over the airwaves to my car radio. I'm not too impressed... The sound quality is pretty poor, even without static, and I occasionally get static too which drives me crazy. I'm going to experiment with different frequencies, but I give it a week before I return it. I guess the dream of using my Nano for all my music needs is dying... :(

They have better solutions, check w/ a local stereo shop for idea's

Kell
12-27-2005, 03:06 PM
Well after playing around with the Nano last evening, I can honestly say what a neat device. The sound quality IMO is great. I loaded up about 10 of my favorite CDs and it is only using about 1/5 of the 4gig memory. My only complaint is the ear buds that came with the Nano are killing my ears.....so I'll have to look for some new ones. I've read previously in this thread about the Bose NC headphones, but I would rather have some compact ear buds with decent sound quality. Any recommendations from other iPod users? Thanks.

BuoyChaser
12-27-2005, 03:06 PM
Ice is very safe here 5+" , just got done skating. I'm hanging a bit this AM. Hot tubbing and drinking last nite, never a good combo :cool:
nice, sounds like fun, and you didn't call me???that's one thing we need to add to our place is a hot tub, any deals you know of???keep your eyes open???like to get a nice one with plenty of jets...

but 1st on the priority list is a snowblower, going to check out Home Depot for one tonight...my father-in-law had a plow, so we were lucky at the new house last year...now either have to break down and pay someone to plow or get a snowblower...likin' the whole I'll do it, then just call someone for sanding on occasion!!!

mitch
12-27-2005, 03:24 PM
Get the Bose! Tuning out on them right now... Have heard there are some NC earbuds. Seem to remember seeing something for 80 bucks at BB?? Not sure

mitch
12-27-2005, 03:28 PM
nice, sounds like fun, and you didn't call me???that's one thing we need to add to our place is a hot tub, any deals you know of???keep your eyes open???like to get a nice one with plenty of jets...

but 1st on the priority list is a snowblower, going to check out Home Depot for one tonight...my father-in-law had a plow, so we were lucky at the new house last year...now either have to break down and pay someone to plow or get a snowblower...likin' the whole I'll do it, then just call someone for sanding on occasion!!!

It's my neighbors tub (our water is off till spring :( ) I'll keep my eyes open. It was nice w/ the snow falling.
Just took 2 rolaids, I'm frieking dying! Can't pound em like I used to. :o Got a con-call in 10 minutes, and then heading back to NH.

shepherd
12-27-2005, 04:08 PM
Well after playing around with the Nano last evening, I can honestly say what a neat device. The sound quality IMO is great. I loaded up about 10 of my favorite CDs and it is only using about 1/5 of the 4gig memory. My only complaint is the ear buds that came with the Nano are killing my ears.....so I'll have to look for some new ones. I've read previously in this thread about the Bose NC headphones, but I would rather have some compact ear buds with decent sound quality. Any recommendations from other iPod users? Thanks.

Kell, I had the same problem. Those stock buds got uncomfortable after a while. I got some kind of earplug adapters that snap over the stock earbuds. They have soft gray rubber "cones" over them that insert into the ear. They are much more comfortable and the sound is great -- gives a good bass effect, I guess due to the hollow space inside the cones between the speaker and the eardrum. I forgot what they're called but I found them on the iPod toys rack in the front area of our local Best Buy, I think they were $19.99. (Before I grabbed these, I bought some $40 earplugs recommended by one of the sales associates, took them out to my car in the parking lot, tried them, put them back in the package, and walked right back in to return them. Very weak sound with virtually no bass.)

bigmac
12-27-2005, 04:49 PM

Well, maybe this is overkill depending on how much you use the device, but I would strongly consider getting custom earmolds (http://www.800ediminn.com/custom_earmolds_na.html) made (click the link and scroll to the bottom). This is a pretty elegant solution. I haven't found any ear buds that don't hurt after awhile too, but these things are truly great. Like many people, I've spent a lot of money over the years trying to find headphones/earbuds that fit well - this is the ultimate solution and (for me) has ended up being much cheaper in the long run.

http://www.800ediminn.com/images/54-Walkman.gif

Just about any hearing aid store and/or audiologist can do this for you, and it costs about $15 per ear. The audiologist injects some kind of stuff into your ear, it sets up, and is a perfect mold of your ear. It takes about 5 minutes, doesn't hurt or anything - very simple process. They send the mold off and a soft silicone plug is made that exactly fits your ear. There are a variety of options - amplified, non-amplified, noise cancelling - but one of them is a fitting that allows you to plug the iPod buds into it. I like that solution because the stock iPod earbuds sound great, with good bass response, but they just need to be more comfortable and secure. I just did this for a both-ear headset/microphone I use for snowmobile commications, and I have them for a few others for things like a portable tactical radio. Only way to go for earphones/buds that are going to be used for any length of time, especially if keeping them secure in the ear is important, say for jogging or biking. Anesthesiologists use them, for example, because they need to be monitoring heart beat and respirations for hours at a time, several patients per day, every day - maybe 8 hours with an earpiece in out of a typical 10 hour day.

east tx skier
12-27-2005, 06:04 PM
Well, I was at Best Buy over lunch picking up the 30 gig Ipod Video and the guy tells me that the gift card to my wife and I from my father-in-law was significantly larger than we'd expected. So, combining it with the other 3 gift cards we'd gotten, I picked up a nano and a case for her as well. So just like that, we're a two pod family.

Unfortunately, it looks as if the accord's factory stereo with in-dash cd player (no changer port) is not going to take a hard wire, so I've got a griffin road trip transmitter, cradle, and charger set on order. Not ideal sound quality, but should be fine. Had purchased the monster transmitter, but got skidish after reading numerous reports of fried hard drives after only a few months of use.

bigmac
12-27-2005, 10:45 PM
I found a great little program, CucuSoft, for ripping DVDs and converting them into 320x240 H.264 video with AAC audio, which is the preferred file format for the video iPod. It converts a 2 hour DVD to MPEG4 ready-for-uploading to a video iPod in about 70 minutes, and from about 6 gigabytes to about 750 megabytes.

mitch
12-28-2005, 08:17 AM
Well, maybe this is overkill depending on how much you use the device, but I would strongly consider getting custom earmolds (http://www.800ediminn.com/custom_earmolds_na.html) made (click the link and scroll to the bottom). This is a pretty elegant solution. I haven't found any ear buds that don't hurt after awhile too, but these things are truly great. Like many people, I've spent a lot of money over the years trying to find headphones/earbuds that fit well - this is the ultimate solution and (for me) has ended up being much cheaper in the long run.

http://www.800ediminn.com/images/54-Walkman.gif

Just about any hearing aid store and/or audiologist can do this for you, and it costs about $15 per ear. The audiologist injects some kind of stuff into your ear, it sets up, and is a perfect mold of your ear. It takes about 5 minutes, doesn't hurt or anything - very simple process. They send the mold off and a soft silicone plug is made that exactly fits your ear. There are a variety of options - amplified, non-amplified, noise cancelling - but one of them is a fitting that allows you to plug the iPod buds into it. I like that solution because the stock iPod earbuds sound great, with good bass response, but they just need to be more comfortable and secure. I just did this for a both-ear headset/microphone I use for snowmobile commications, and I have them for a few others for things like a portable tactical radio. Only way to go for earphones/buds that are going to be used for any length of time, especially if keeping them secure in the ear is important, say for jogging or biking. Anesthesiologists use them, for example, because they need to be monitoring heart beat and respirations for hours at a time, several patients per day, every day - maybe 8 hours with an earpiece in out of a typical 10 hour day.

Great idea!

mitch
12-28-2005, 08:58 AM

Get the snowthrower? We've had good luck w/ Ariens.

east tx skier
12-28-2005, 11:30 AM
I found a great little program, CucuSoft, for ripping DVDs and converting them into 320x240 H.264 video with AAC audio, which is the preferred file format for the video iPod. It converts a 2 hour DVD to MPEG4 ready-for-uploading to a video iPod in about 70 minutes, and from about 6 gigabytes to about 750 megabytes.

Okay, that answered my next question. I ripped a movie to mpeg4 last night and, of course, ipod wouldn't take it advising me that quicktime pro was a dandy program to convert video for a low, low price. ;)

But just to check, could I tweak nero to convert to whatever ipod standard is? Last night, I ripped with smartripper and then converted the long title (the actual movie) to mpeg4. I was able to open it in the video folder of itunes, but that's where I got stumped and had to leave for work.

bigmac
12-28-2005, 11:55 AM
Okay, that answered my next question. I ripped a movie to mpeg4 last night and, of course, ipod wouldn't take it advising me that quicktime pro was a dandy program to convert video for a low, low price. ;)

But just to check, could I tweak nero to convert to whatever ipod standard is? Last night, I ripped with smartripper and then converted the long title (the actual movie) to mpeg4. I was able to open it in the video folder of itunes, but that's where I got stumped and had to leave for work.

The problem I had was that I can't open a DVD in Quicktime, so I can't convert it to MPEG4 and iPod convertable format withy that program. I could convert it in Premiere Elements if I could open it, but it won't grab them if there's any copyright protection or encryption, and even if I could (by ripping/de-crypting with a separate program), it would mux the audio and all I get is video, no audio. I can convert them to, say, AVI or Quicktime after ripping, but then I still have to convert them in Quicktime Pro for iPod video format. That makes it about a 2 1/2 hour process. I haven't tried it, but I think the $39 Cucusoft software suite will do all the same conversion that Quicktime Pro will do, in addition to the direct, one-click DVD conversion. A better deal than Quicktime Pro, I think, and the ouptut quality is really excellent IMHO.

There are several other DVD-> iPod converters, all about $30, but after trialing a few, I found this Cucusoft (http://www.avi-vcd.com/) product to be the most seamless. It rips and converts to H.264 in one click, several types of inputs and outputs, 16:9 or 4:3, and it even eliminates Macrovision. And, it's pretty fast. It does convert each invidual file, so you end up with a multi-file program, including things like the FBI warning, but if I know which file is which, I can save time by unchecking the box for that title conversion.

east tx skier
12-28-2005, 12:20 PM
Here is a tutorial for using Nero recode to do it. Also a tutorial for using freeware. Since I already have Nero and am very familiar with it, I'll probably go that route.

ipod Video Conversion Tutorial (http://arstechnica.com/guides/tweaks/ipod-video.ars/5)

Smartripper will bypass encryption (used for backup purposes only of course). The audio has always been quite good (beautiful 5.1 digital). So I may be misunderstanding why using one of those would mess it up (maybe compression).

bigmac
12-28-2005, 12:41 PM
Here is a tutorial for using Nero recode to do it. Also a tutorial for using freeware. Since I already have Nero and am very familiar with it, I'll probably go that route.

ipod Video Conversion Tutorial (http://arstechnica.com/guides/tweaks/ipod-video.ars/5)

Smartripper will bypass encryption (used for backup purposes only of course). The audio has always been quite good (beautiful 5.1 digital). So I may be misunderstanding why using one of those would mess it up (maybe compression).

Looks cool. Personally, I think the $30 download was worth it (to me) to give me a faster, two-click solution for ripping ripping and de-crypting (for backup purposes only, of course) to iPod-compatible DVD files - load the DVD, click the box in Cucusoft to select it, click "convert" and go have a cup of coffee. But there are many ways to skin a cat. It is nice having a separate computer for that - I build a state-of-the-art machine every 18 months or so for video and photo editing, which can be processor/memory/disk space/video card intensive and tie up the computer for hours at a time.

I don't know about the audio. The iPod is kind of fussy about its audio files, it appears. I can't tell if Nero would be a problem, but I suspect not - not with DVDs. Some of my MPEG files are problematic because the conversion process to MPEG 1 will usually cause muxing of the audio, and that muxing process can't be converted by QT Pro. At this point, I haven't checked to see if Cucusoft will de-mux an MPEG 1 (quicktime won't), but if it did, that would eliminate me having to re-convert the original AVI in Premiere Elements.

At any rate, it won't cost you anything to find out - sounds like a good solution if you already have Nero Recode.

east tx skier
12-28-2005, 05:45 PM
Yeah, that was my thought. Played with it for a minute over lunch, but will require more time. Once I set up a profile for going to ipod, it should only be an extra click after I decrypt the dvd. I'll let you know if it works.

BuoyChaser
12-28-2005, 11:25 PM
you guyz are techno-weenies!!! :)

bigmac
12-29-2005, 12:31 AM
you guyz are techno-weenies!!! :)

http://mccollister.info/pc01.gif

Leroy
12-29-2005, 02:08 AM
Doug; Middle son (da hacker) doesn't think you can play protected video on the video ipod outside of Apple. Just playing with the Nano now for couple of days it's pretty particular! But very cool, especially when you think of how this is Hollywood friendly!

bigmac
12-29-2005, 09:29 AM
Doug; Middle son (da hacker) doesn't think you can play protected video on the video ipod outside of Apple. Just playing with the Nano now for couple of days it's pretty particular! But very cool, especially when you think of how this is Hollywood friendly!The vast majority of commercial DVDs have copy protection built in since about 1998. It's a 40 bit encryption scheme called CSS, and in about a week, the encryption was cracked with a program that contains no more than about 6 lines of code (DeCSS). It was the subject of many lawsuits by the MPAA, but currently the law allows copying a DVD for "backup purposes" or other personal use (as opposed to file-sharing over the internet), so most DVD rippers have that or some other decryption scheme built in, and as such commericial DVDs are legally copyable as long as it's done for legal purposes. Sony recently came out with an encryption scheme that was rather complex for its movie content (Sony Pictures) but they recently announced they were stopping it because it was found to be rather virus-prone. I'm sure that we'll see other encryption schemes beyond CSS come out, but I also have no doubt they'll end up being cracked and find their way into ripping software until the day the courts declare it's illegal to copy a DVD under any circumstances.

At any rate, I know from experience over the last few days that commercial DVDs are definitely decryptable, rippable, and playable on a video iPod with widely available and cheap, easy-to-use software. Actually, many of those decrypters/rippers are free.

east tx skier
12-29-2005, 11:57 AM
Okay, so here's where I am. I ripped The Big Lebowski and followed the conversion instructions to a T (see link above) using Nero. I imported it into itunes and it played flawlessly (I'm omitting the part where I ripped it with 5.1 audio first and no audio would play in itunes. The second time, I left the audio at 2 channel stereo).

Next, I sync it with the ipod and the video is transferred. But when I try to play it on the ipod, the screen goes black for a minute or so, then returns to the previous menu with the movie listing. I'm about to fork over the $29 for cucusoft (the demo looks nice and user friendly as you mentioned, BigMac). But before I do that, I want to be sure there isn't something simple I missed.

BTW, when I downloaded smartripper (for backing up dvds), I had to tell the website I lived in Germany. :o

/formerly East German Skier

Ric
12-29-2005, 12:35 PM
http://mccollister.info/pc01.gif
My Ipod is BIGGER than your Ipod :cool:

bigmac
12-29-2005, 12:35 PM
Okay, so here's where I am. I ripped The Big Lebowski and followed the conversion instructions to a T (see link above) using Nero. I imported it into itunes and it played flawlessly (I'm omitting the part where I ripped it with 5.1 audio first and no audio would play in itunes. The second time, I left the audio at 2 channel stereo).

Next, I sync it with the ipod and the video is transferred. But when I try to play it on the ipod, the screen goes black for a minute or so, then returns to the previous menu with the movie listing. I'm about to fork over the $29 for cucusoft (the demo looks nice and user friendly as you mentioned, BigMac). But before I do that, I want to be sure there isn't something simple I missed.

BTW, when I downloaded smartripper (for backing up dvds), I had to tell the website I lived in Germany. :o

/formerly East German Skier

I wonder if the conversion didn't end up being pure MPEG 4 instead of H.264.

Try downloading the Cucusoft trial version. It's the full version, but puts a big ugly watermark on the output. You could download it, load the DVD and go at it for about 5 minutes then stop and check the file that it's converted so far. Shouldn't take you more than about 15 minutes to find out whether or not it will work for you.

east tx skier
12-29-2005, 12:40 PM
That may be right. I don't know. I'll probably just pay the piper. Reading some forums, I'm not the only one that's had this problem with Nero. Life's short. Cucusoft looks really user friendly and that's what I want at this point.

east tx skier
12-29-2005, 12:42 PM
My Ipod is BIGGER than your Ipod :cool:

Are you kidding, or did you get the 60 gig? So far, I've loaded a 2 hour movie, 275 songs, and all my contacts and calendar from outlook on mine and have 27 gigs and some change to spare. Looks like I've got my work cut out for me.

east tx skier
12-29-2005, 01:18 PM

bigmac, which version of cucusoft do you have? I see that they have 3.05 just released. I just want the one trick pony. I'm reasonably certain, I can still use Nero for just about everything else I want to accomplish.

bigmac
12-29-2005, 01:22 PM
bigmac, which version of cucusoft do you have? I see that they have 3.05 just released. I just want the one trick pony. I'm reasonably certain, I can still use Nero for just about everything else I want to accomplish.

I think I downloaded the suite for $39. There is an upgrade button to check for a new version, but I don't think I checked it to look for the latest version yet.

I would think you'd only want/need the DVD->iPod software, not the whole suite. I got the suite because I have to deal with about 6 different kinds of video file types at work and I'm always looking for maximum flexibility.

east tx skier
12-29-2005, 01:38 PM
The new software was released Dec. 27 according to cucusoft.com. Download.com doesn't list it yet. Apparently, just fixed a couple of bugs on the dvd-ipod software. I'll dl it over lunch.

Ric
12-29-2005, 04:16 PM
Are you kidding, or did you get the 60 gig? So far, I've loaded a 2 hour movie, 275 songs, and all my contacts and calendar from outlook on mine and have 27 gigs and some change to spare. Looks like I've got my work cut out for me.
of course I'm kidding, Hell I can't even figure out all the features to my clarion head unit in my boat :rolleyes: I have no business with an ipod

east tx skier
12-29-2005, 04:24 PM
Well some of the itunes software features are causing me to remember why switched to PC back in 96.

Downloaded cucusoft over lunch. Talk about user friendly. Thanks for the recommendation bigmac.

east tx skier
12-30-2005, 12:39 PM
Update. Bigmac, cucusoft is awesome and worth the money for ease of use (just like you said). Transferred The Big Lebowski and The Secret Spot yesterday. Amazing how quickly you can adapt to watching something on such a small screen.

Ric
12-30-2005, 05:00 PM
ok you experts, my kid is trying to "rip" songs off our cd's to her laptop. I have no idea how to help her
she has windows media player and itunes both loaded on the computer and has had some success when NOT connected to the internet but she has to hand type each song title into the file with either of those softwares...
When she accesses the web, the titles are automatically in the files BUT, the ripping isn't working in either software????
The kids did get an ipod nano for Christmas and they have put some of the hand renamed ripped tunes onto the nano successfully, but is there something mr all-thumbs can do to help them with this ripping? (Ric learned a new word this week)

east tx skier
12-30-2005, 05:53 PM
If they are commercial cds (as opposed to burned ones), either software should look up the titles assuming they are set up to do so. In WMP, go to options or settings or whatever, and look for something that says Windows can look up the song/album/artist info. Same with itunes. I've got it set up so that itunes organizes my folders, etc. If they're using an ipod, I'd rip the songs through itunes. Just easier and itunes will organize the folders by artist. Anything burned to a cd that will play in an ordinary cd player (assuming info wasn't entered onto the burned cd, and the software won't be able to look it up ordinarily).

Ric
12-30-2005, 05:56 PM
Thanks,
off to check the settings!

east tx skier
12-30-2005, 06:01 PM
If you get stuck, give me a shout.

east tx skier
12-30-2005, 06:06 PM
Okay, just to get a little more specific.

Put the CD in and open WMP. On the left, click "copy from cd." At the top/right of the screen, look for something that says "get names" and "album info."

Again, I'd stick with itunes since you're ultimately going to an ipod. But if you do use WMP, go into settings, find "rip," and make sure you select a location and file type. mp3 or WMA (assuming not protected) will work. I think mp4/acc is better compression though. But on second thought, I think there is a "lossless" WMA now. Of course, that's probably mp4 at heart.

Ric
12-30-2005, 06:56 PM
Good God, I have no idea what you just said!

ok I have a mad kid now and we're off to a dinner and back at it later tonite

so far I have wmp and itunes both ending up "not responding"
apples website told me to uninstall quicktime and then "repair" itunes (which will reload the latest quicktime) well.... it didnt work and now I have no quicktime

I did successfully download win media player 10 and am still unable to rip from there.
I think my next step is to reload itunes from the itunes cd that came with the ipod
:eek:

hahahahah this stuff is not for me!! I am watching my back for a mutiny to occurr around here any minute!

east tx skier
12-30-2005, 11:02 PM
If you downloaded itunes from the cd the first time, try downloading it from Apple. I downloaded it before I even had an ipod. I'm rippnig a cd right now. Just put it in, uncheck (deselect) the songs you don't want to rip, and click "import cd" in the top/right corner. That's it.

When you sit down with it again, don't hesitate to call me if you need to. I'll walk you through it.

bigmac
12-30-2005, 11:15 PM
If you downloaded itunes from the cd the first time, try downloading it from Apple. I downloaded it before I even had an ipod. I'm rippnig a cd right now. Just put it in, uncheck (deselect) the songs you don't want to rip, and click "import cd" in the top/right corner. That's it.

When you sit down with it again, don't hesitate to call me if you need to. I'll walk you through it.

Quicktime 7 and iTunes 6 are one program now, and are easily downloadable from http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Itunes is pretty seamless. However, it rips the CDs into AACs rather than MP3s or WMPs. Certainly not an issue if you're uploading to an iPod. The merits of Apple's proprietary AAC are debatable, I suppose, compared to the other formats, but from what I read it's a pretty darn good compression scheme.

east tx skier
12-31-2005, 12:39 AM
Would I be oversimplifying it to call it an Apple Mpeg4 or would that be just plain wrong?

bigmac
12-31-2005, 09:34 AM
Would I be oversimplifying it to call it an Apple Mpeg4 or would that be just plain wrong?

Apple didn't invent MPEG 4, but the ISO (superset of MPEG) chose Quicktime as the basis platform for MPEG 4, and it's been a part of Quicktime since 2000 (although called something else). A lot of companies have tried to push MPEG4 (such as DiVX), but Apple has the edge. They initially implemented it as MPEG 4 part 2, which formed the basis of most MPEG 4 implementations around the world, and recently they developed MPEG 4 part 10 (which is H.264), and THAT is going to be the 900 lb gorilla in the low-bandwidth digital video arena for a long time.

AAC is part of MPEG 4 and was also developed by the ISO (from multiple sources, including Dolby Labs, Sony, Nokia)) as a far superior compression codec compared to MP3. Apple has popularized it by abandoning MP3 and implementing AAC for its downloaded music and that's it's most visible application for low-bandwidth music streaming, but it's used by a lot of other organizations, including XM Radio. Bill Gates is fit to be tied over WMP's miserable 3rd place showing in the digital audio arena.

east tx skier
12-31-2005, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the explanation. Now, do I have it right that Microsoft actually came up with mpeg4 and let everyone use it?

bigmac
12-31-2005, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the explanation. Now, do I have it right that Microsoft actually came up with mpeg4 and let everyone use it?

No, all of the MPEG standards are developed and and owned by the Moving Picture Expert Group (ie MPEG), a subset of the ISO/IEC. I'm not even sure Microsoft was part of the development consortium. IIRC, Microsoft's claim to fame was trying to quash MPEG4 in an anti-competitive attempt (competed with WMP), and the result was FLASK, which was/is open source and was the foundation for DiVX. It's been surpassed by the other implementations, especially H.264.

AFAIK, Microsoft's only implementation of MPEG4 is the most basic one (for which the license from MPEG is free), and it's entirely proprietary. As opposed to Apple's aggressive adoption, advancement, and broad commercial application.

east tx skier
01-01-2006, 10:24 PM
Okay, I must have had it confused with FLASK.

Kell
01-02-2006, 12:17 PM
Ok, here is one for you all to figure out. In WMP I get the album art automatically when it gets the CDs artist, title, etc.... In iTunes you apparently have to drag a pic and drop it somewhere. Is there a setting to make iTunes do this automatically like WMP?

east tx skier
01-03-2006, 01:24 PM
If there is, I haven't found it yet. The only time I've seen it do it automatically is on songs I've purchased from itunes.

I've just been downloading the art into a folder from the image on amazon. If I have enough songs off of one album, I select them all in itunes, right click, and select "info." I click on the artwork tab, double click the cover art box, and open the artwork file. It puts the artwork on every song on that album without my having to do it individually per song. It takes longer to explain it here than it actually takes to do it. Still, it'd be nice if itunes would just do it.

Maybe it doesn't do it in case you don't want to waste space with the images? With over 300 songs and 4 feature length movies, I've only used barely over 3 gigs. I'm not too worried about space limiations at this point.

bigmac
01-03-2006, 07:25 PM
I've found that the video iPod gets about 2.5 hours of video with the screen constantly backlit from a max charge before the battery runs down. I purchased a Belkin Battery Backup Pack (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Product_Id=148969) for it. It runs the iPod from four AA alkaline cells. $29 from MacConnection. It plugs into the dock connector and is switchable so that you choose whether the iPod is powered from its own battery or the external pack. I don't yet know how long it lasts showing continuous video, but they claim about 6 hours in addition to what you'd get from the iPod's onboard battery. We shall see..

http://images.belkin.com/F8E464/STD1_F8E464.jpg

Another option that gets mentioned is the GeekPod (http://www.batterygeek.net/xcart/product.php?productid=16155) from batterygeek.net. It's a 6000 mah lithium-ion external battery pack for iPods. It was bulkier and heavier, and did require recharging, plus it was $70, so I went with the Belkin. During the course of a year, I spend several weeks in the back-country of Haiti. I can carry a lot of AA's, but you never know where you'll be able to plug in a charger.

east tx skier
01-04-2006, 12:22 PM
Just another quick thanks for suggestion cucusoft. It has made my life a lot easier. I'm still waiting on my iroadtrip to arrive. Hopefully, it will get here today. I need to start spending money on the boat.

bigmac
01-04-2006, 02:04 PM
Just another quick thanks for suggestion cucusoft. It has made my life a lot easier. I'm still waiting on my iroadtrip to arrive. Hopefully, it will get here today. I need to start spending money on the boat.

I agree - it's well designed software with very high quality output. You're very welcome.

east tx skier
01-04-2006, 05:04 PM
BTW, the new version will rip copy protected dvds (for ipod backup purposes) without the necessity of using a separate ripper. I seemed to remember that you said you had to use dvdxcopy or something similar.

bigmac
01-04-2006, 05:08 PM
BTW, the new version will rip copy protected dvds (for ipod backup purposes) without the necessity of using a separate ripper. I seemed to remember that you said you had to use dvdxcopy or something similar.No, I've used 3.05 from the beginning. Works great.

east tx skier
01-04-2006, 05:45 PM
Just checking.

Kell
01-05-2006, 12:19 PM
I've just been downloading the art into a folder from the image on amazon. If I have enough songs off of one album, I select them all in itunes, right click, and select "info." I click on the artwork tab, double click the cover art box, and open the artwork file. It puts the artwork on every song on that album without my having to do it individually per song. It takes longer to explain it here than it actually takes to do it. Still, it'd be nice if itunes would just do it.

Thanks ETS, I'll give it a try. Lov'in the iPod and the next step is to hook it up to the home stereo :D

east tx skier
01-05-2006, 12:45 PM
My iroadtrip fm transmitter, charger, cradle just arrived yesterday. It's pretty great for an FM transmitter (can't hardwire into my factory setup). Plus, I can remove the tranmitter from the dock and plug it into my laptop for home stereo use (or just use it with the ipod).

BuoyChaser
01-10-2006, 11:34 PM
what about XM http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=6345&page=1&pp=10

tex
05-08-2006, 06:54 PM
Ok guys. Who is using what for a boombox for their Nano. Which ones are worth the money? Don't even bring up the $300 Bose.

east tx skier
05-08-2006, 10:28 PM
The Bose is the only one I've heard in person. Gotta say, it sounds really good.

The IH5 clock radio from Ihome is what I've got my eye on. Don't know if the sound is all that great, but the waking to some good music has its perks.

mitch
05-08-2006, 11:00 PM
The Bose is the only one I've heard in person. Gotta say, it sounds really good.

The IH5 clock radio from Ihome is what I've got my eye on. Don't know if the sound is all that great, but the waking to some good music has its perks.

Doug, My son has the IH5 and he likes it. It sounds pretty decent. Tex, I'm very happy w/ using a PC speaker setup for my mini. 2 CA speakers and a sub for 30 bucks. I have one in my basement, one at the lakehouse, and one in the garage. Hooked it up to my buddies $100 5 speaker setup and it sounded awesome. Something to think about, unless you're set on portable

east tx skier
05-08-2006, 11:03 PM
Good to hear. I'm just waiting to see if the IH6 will make the IH5s worth a little less to someone.

Mi.mc
05-08-2006, 11:20 PM

as for #3 i though i saw an ad in waterski magazine for an X9 that came with a port to plug ipods into the stereo system. (not that it's any use to you)

BuoyChaser
05-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Doug, My son has the IH5 and he likes it. It sounds pretty decent. Tex, I'm very happy w/ using a PC speaker setup for my mini. 2 CA speakers and a sub for 30 bucks. I have one in my basement, one at the lakehouse, and one in the garage. Hooked it up to my buddies $100 5 speaker setup and it sounded awesome. Something to think about, unless you're set on portable
mitch - sounds like a good setup, what did it cost you per unit???like to learn more...

PendO
05-09-2006, 02:38 AM
got my wife a new 4gig Ipod nano ... buy it for the wife to work out with, bring it in the boat ... I love it when a purchase works that way:)

mitch
05-09-2006, 08:33 AM
Scott, It's just your basic AC powered 3-piece PC stereo setup. 2 sat speakers and a sub. So instead of plugging it into you PC you plug it into the earphone jack, and that's it. Like most things, the more you spend the better it sounds.....

michael freeman
05-09-2006, 08:46 AM
as for #3 i though i saw an ad in waterski magazine for an X9 that came with a port to plug ipods into the stereo system. (not that it's any use to you)

I have this option on my boat. Haven't used it yet but I only have 10 hours on the boat, and my attention was on other things being my first MC. ;)

Any audio shop can install an aftermarket set up to do the same thing.