PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Plug

redraider08
06-06-2013, 01:39 PM
I've have a 2000 X-Star with the Hurth transmission. When i bought the boat last year they had just replaced the oil cooler because they said it was leaking. I have changed the fluid a few times and it still gets milky like there is water in the transmission. I am pretty confident there is no leak as the fluid level doesn't change over time. I just don't think i am sucking all the fluid out from the top. Has anyone put a hose where the plug is on the transmition to make it easier to drain the fluid and have the ability to get more fluid out?

I did recently change from tranmission flud to 15W-40 motor oil. The MC dealer said to put half a can of sea foam with the oil to help get the water out also. Thanks!

Cloaked
06-06-2013, 02:29 PM
I've have a 2000 X-Star with the Hurth transmission. When i bought the boat last year they had just replaced the oil cooler because they said it was leaking. I have changed the fluid a few times and it still gets milky like there is water in the transmission. I am pretty confident there is no leak as the fluid level doesn't change over time. I just don't think i am sucking all the fluid out from the top. Has anyone put a hose where the plug is on the transmition to make it easier to drain the fluid and have the ability to get more fluid out?

I did recently change from tranmission flud to 15W-40 motor oil. The MC dealer said to put half a can of sea foam with the oil to help get the water out also. Thanks!I use a MityVac to extract the fluid from my transmission, right out of the top through the filler port. Works like a champ....

Sample http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/MITYVAC-Fluid-Evacuator-1XGR9?Pid=search

I found one much cheaper than that price. Just showing you the gadget I use.... think I found mine on Amazon for maybe $60 bucks... worth having the service tool for me..... fairly good quality and functionality.....

Ski/Hunt uses a turkey baster plunger..... works too...

redraider08
06-06-2013, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the recomendation on the pump! I currently use a hand pump that works ok, i just want to be able to ensure i get as much fluid out as possable. I currently just keep moving the hose around when i stick it in the top untill i can't get anymore.

88 PS190
06-06-2013, 06:49 PM
The solution is dilution.

I usually will figure that a quart or two is pretty inexpensive, so I'll suck the fluid out as much as possible, then I will put in a full load of fluid, and even over load. Then I start boat with a bit of tension on the lift and engage the trans in idle (so long as safe on your lift/trailer). I let that go for awhile, then I suck out as much as I can and refill to the full mark.

While flushing is not necessary, if you are chasing an issue with milky fluid I would start there till you got it diluted very thoroughly, if you want to spend very little money buy cheap oil or cheap ATF for your flushing.