PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Texas. . .

gotta_ski
06-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Taking a new job and moving to south Texas, probably Austin. Looking for some info on where to live and what the boating situation is like out there. We're looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment so we'll have a guestroom and a room for an office as I'll be working from home. Would like to find a lake I could rent a slip on so we don't have to trailer.

Also any other info you guys have on the area. We're also looking at the Houston/Galveston area but leaning more towards Austin.

Really looking forward to getting away from the snow for awhile.

TxsRiverRat
06-06-2013, 12:43 PM
What kinda skiing do you do?

orbeamlb
06-06-2013, 03:12 PM
Taking a new job and moving to south Texas, probably Austin. Looking for some info on where to live and what the boating situation is like out there. We're looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment so we'll have a guestroom and a room for an office as I'll be working from home. Would like to find a lake I could rent a slip on so we don't have to trailer.

Also any other info you guys have on the area. We're also looking at the Houston/Galveston area but leaning more towards Austin.

Really looking forward to getting away from the snow for awhile.

Austin is great. Vibrant city and growing (too fast for its infrastructure though). Great music scene, BBQ and Tex Mex aplenty. If you're into fitness Austin is a great fit, road And mountain biking (great trails inside city limits and challenging hilly roads). Many Bike, Running and TRI races here basically year round.

Living inside Austin will cost more than the numerous suburbs and it is the most expensive city for housing in Texas. Rentals are somewhat scarce but more properties are coming up out of the ground.

Lake Austin (constant level) and Lake Travis both have marinas to dock your boat. Travis is 50 feet below full pool and thus all of the public launches are closed. Other nearby lakes include Lake Georgetown, Lake LBJ, lake Buchanan along with others roughly an hour or so away.

My family and I moved here five years ago and are very happy we did.

Mike

gts-20
06-06-2013, 03:29 PM
We use to ski Lake Austin a lot, but since Lake Travis has been down so low for so long, it seems like every boat in central Texas is there. It is down right dangerous on the weekends! My parents live on the lake and will no longer put there boat in the water on weekends. The LRCA really needs to step in and put some restrictions on the # of boats allowed on the lake. It's a very long, narrow body of water, in most places not any wider than a river.

For now, we stay closer to home and frequent local lakes around Houston. Conroe is a mess on the weekends unless you get out early and run the gauntlet through the stumps to the far north end.

east tx skier
06-06-2013, 03:35 PM
Austin is still a great town, but, as mentioned, it has grown way too fast for its infrastructure. And, on a personal note, it's not the Austin that made me want to move back there for ten years after I left.

Houston is also a great town, but the weather in the summer is brutally humid. Still, the restaurants are plentiful, the beach is close, and, apart from the heat/humidity, it's a good place to live with plenty to do. As for the lakes, I'd say go private or drive up to the northern end of the Trinity river and flush well afterward.

Dallas is Dallas. It's nice with plenty to do, but it isn't nearly as laid back as Austin and, to a lesser degree, Houston. Fort Worth is pretty cool, and a little closer to the water ski honey hole and a laid back town.

To the east, there are more lakes than you could shake a stick at, and we have lots of water this year. But, even as a happy resident of this part of Texas, if you are looking for city life, this isn't it. It took me a long time to adjust to east Texas, even in a town of 100,000, after living in Houston and Austin all of my life. Still, I can be at the lake in 15 minutes (5 if I leave straight from the office).

Then, there's my personal favorite (south of Austin/north of San Antonio). New Braunfels, San Marcos, Blanco, Wimberley, Buda, Dripping Springs, etc.). Lots of private lakes for slalom along I-35. Austin is driveable. Smaller towns with Austin right up the road (but take the back road to get there).

03 35th Anniversary
06-06-2013, 03:45 PM
Skiing is illegal in Tx. now.

So move along...

pmkkdx
06-06-2013, 04:02 PM
when are you planning on moving???

I might have the perfect fit for you ... My wife works in real estate and property management (~40 properties) in the Georgetown area. I believe they only have houses or possibly townhomes that they manage. Georgetown is far enough away from Austin to get out of some of the headaches, large enough to have major shopping/restaurants/businesses and small enough to have it's own identity (charm) and festivals. Lake Georgetown is a great smaller lake, Lake Belton is 30 minutes to the north, Travis 45-50 minutes SW, Lake LBJ less than an hour (depending on what part of Gtown), Lake Austin less than an hour depending on traffic. There is a marina on most of these (not lake Gtown though) where slips can be had. 20-40 minute drive into most parts of Austin (depending on time of day), less than an hour to Waco (but why go there?)...

just depends on your lifestyle and wants on whether to live in some of the burbs or in the city. Let me know if you would like some information on rental properties in Georgetown and I will get you hooked up. As an example, a nice 3 bed/2 bath/2 car garage house in a nicer/desireable neighborhood in Gtown would be in the $1100-1400/month range ... are you dead set on an apartment?

gotta_ski
06-06-2013, 04:17 PM
We'll be moving the second half of September. We're not dead set on an apartment. We'd welcome a house or townhouse for rent, but I figured an apartment would be easier. I'll PM you my number pmkkdx and you can pass it on to your wife. We'd love to hear about the properties she deals with.

We're mostly free-skiers, so having a course isn't a must have on the lake. Are there ski clubs on private lakes near Austin? What kind of fees are we talking about with those?

gotta_ski
06-06-2013, 04:26 PM
Thank you everyone who has chimed in. Keep the information and thoughts coming. Its a little nerve-wracking moving so far away the first time and I really appreciate the local knowledge.

Does Lake Travis being so far down mean that no one is boating right now? Or is the fact that the public launches are closed just make it hard to access?

gotta_ski
06-06-2013, 04:27 PM
Is Austin very humid in the summer?

SP Maristar
06-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Wait for it...

TayMC197
06-06-2013, 04:47 PM
It's dry as hell, full of ****'s and liberals. Damn tree huggers... Pretty place, I'd look for something in George Town personally.

TxsRiverRat
06-06-2013, 05:16 PM
I would have loved to live in Austin in the 80s and 90s... Now, not so much. The blues scene on E 6th street is good as dead, the city is over populated, the cost of living is ridiculous and for me, thereís no real draw anymore. In other words, itís totally overrated

As far as ski clubs, there are more than a few USA Waterski affiliated clubs:

Austin
Lake Austin Austin
Barefoot Club

Austin
Lake Austin Austin Ski Club
3-Event

Buda
Aquaplex Ski Lakes
3-Event

Hutto
Frameswitch Ski Lakes
University of Texas Water Ski Team
Collegiate

Martindale
San Marcos River Ranch
San Marcos River Ranch POA Inc.
3-Event

McQueeney
Lake McQueeney
Lake McQueeney Ski Bees
Show Ski

Taylor
Frameswitch Ski Lakes
Capital Area Water Ski Club
3-Event

orbeamlb
06-06-2013, 05:37 PM
Is Austin very humid in the summer?

It can get humid but nothing like Houston or my hometown of Baton Rouge. Usually dry and hot here in Central Texas.

orbeamlb
06-06-2013, 05:43 PM
Thank you everyone who has chimed in. Keep the information and thoughts coming. Its a little nerve-wracking moving so far away the first time and I really appreciate the local knowledge.

Does Lake Travis being so far down mean that no one is boating right now? Or is the fact that the public launches are closed just make it hard to access?

There's still boating there but the only public access is to launch from the banks. The few times I've been on Travis (in other boats) the water was rather choppy so I'm sure any of us with ProStars will get beat half to death.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-06-2013, 08:41 PM
Skiing is illegal in Tx. now.

So move along...

yep, and there are no jobs available here either so keep on moving along...

orbeamlb
06-06-2013, 09:55 PM
yep, and there are no jobs available here either so keep on moving along...

We can let them in since they have a MasterCraft.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-06-2013, 09:58 PM
We can let them in since they have a MasterCraft.

Well maybe just this once, ha

As far as lake travis goes, a co-worker of mine has a lake house there and his 04 x2 he tells me has not hit the water in 2 years bc of the drought, stuck on his lift with no water. Sad its just wasting away.

orbeamlb
06-06-2013, 10:02 PM
It's dry as hell, full of ****'s and liberals. Damn tree huggers... Pretty place, I'd look for something in George Town personally.

That's why we settled in the suburbs. Thankfully we're outside of the plastic grocery bag ban zone.

chriscraftmatt1976
06-07-2013, 11:01 AM
i visited san antonio last year, my first time in texas, and i thought it was great. friendly people, cool river front. didn't get to ski. bummer.

east tx skier
06-07-2013, 02:30 PM
There's still boating there but the only public access is to launch from the banks. The few times I've been on Travis (in other boats) the water was rather choppy so I'm sure any of us with ProStars will get beat half to death.

You have to go up river to the Pedernales. Smooth as can be (assuming there is water).

east tx skier
06-07-2013, 03:19 PM
I would have loved to live in Austin in the 80s and 90s... Now, not so much.

It was a lot of fun. My sister lived there in the early to mid 80s. I lived there in the early to mid 90s. My sister in law and her family just moved back to Houston from Austin. My brother in law may move back to Austin at some point (he works there and commutes over an hour at the moment). It still has a lot going for it as a city, but very little of the hutzpa that once embodied it. The music scene and worthwhile bar scene long ago moved away from 6th street.

Right now, there is a lot of activity on East 6th well to the east of 35. It used to be that was the part of Austin we avoided. But, now, it's got a lot going on.

tdjaster
06-09-2013, 11:48 PM
I moved to San Antonio 10 years ago and I think it's a great city. I love New Braunfels area but stay away from Austin whenever possible. Though there are a lot of positives in regards to the "vibe" of the city, I think it's way too much of a hassle to deal with.

Since you've got a ProStar, I would stay away from all of the big lakes in the Austin/San Antonio area. I was on Canyon Lake today and was reminded why I almost never go there with my SportStar. Not fun. You'd be much better suited checking out Lakes Dunlap, McQueeney, Placid, even Medina (if it ever gets water again).

pmkkdx
06-10-2013, 10:04 AM
yes, there is some humidity in Austin during the summer but considerably less than Houston, mostly gulf breeze brings it in from the coast (prevailing SE winds). Odd enough, you can go 20-40 miles west, northwest and north and the humidity drastically drops due to the hill country almost acts like a dam for the moisture. Houston can be 95+%, Austin will be 75-85+%, Georgetown 50%, Burnet 30% ...

A lot depends on what type of "scene" you are looking for ... as to location you would want to live in / around. We settled in Georgetown following college 30+ years ago and raised our family there, it's home for us.

Lake Travis has good water depending on boat traffic and wind direction. It's a pretty deep lake, so the 50 foot drop merely closes off public access and might leave some docks/slips high and dry but the lake itself snakes following the original river channel with some decent bluffs to provide wind breaks to give flat water unless boat traffic has it rollered up. There are a few dry stack places and marina's with slip rentals available on Travis even when the lake level is very low.

I grew up in Burnet where Buchanan, Inks and LBJ were within 15-30 minutes drive, so we rarely ever went to Travis. Now living in Georgetown, we can be on LBJ (our favorite) in roughly an hour where Travis would be ~45 minutes to the closest ramp IF there was water to launch... So we opt for LBJ since it's constant level and we are very familar with it. Lake Georgetown is fairly small relatively speaking but only 5 minutes from garage to ramp that we use frequently for partial day trips and after work during the week.

If you work out of your home, you might also consider Marble Falls / Horseshoe bay both of which would be under an hour commute back into Austin but much closer to Lake LBJ ... Just a thought. Kingsland might also work, but a little over an hour into the western portion of Austin.

I'll pass your contact info on to my wife but might be late this week or next before she contacts you. She is working a church camp this week and trying to keep her normal responsibilities (work and her mom) in a compressed timeframe.

orbeamlb
06-10-2013, 11:09 PM
Here's a shot from Hula Hut on Lake Austin this past Saturday. Many MasterCrafts out including 3 S&S boats. The scenery here is pretty darn good too!

TxsRiverRat
06-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Love eating at Hula Hut and follow up with Mozarts afterwards!

gotta_ski
09-29-2013, 12:34 AM
Just got back from a week of house hunting in Austin. Thanks to everyone who chimed in. We saw some amazing live music, and we were only there for week nights. If its this good on a Tuesday night it must have been unreal in the 80's and 90's since those that were there then say its not as good now. We ate at some amazing restaurants and heard about even more that we can't wait to try. We found a place just outside downtown but walkable to 6th street, SoCo, and the warehouse district, and very close to Rainey street. We even have a view of the river and downtown. We can't wait to get down there and explore the city more. Once we get down there I'll be on the hunt for affordable moorage on the water somewhere and if I can find something we can afford I'll drag the boat down. Either way we are very excited about this adventure.

east tx skier
09-30-2013, 10:30 AM
Glad you enjoyed it.

I thought only Rachel Ray called South Congress "SoCo." ;) (sorry, pet peeve).

Next time you go out for a bite, try Frank on 4th and Colorado. Great place.

Easy Tiger (E. 6th and Sabine), Koriente (7th and Red River), Magnolia (S. Congress), and Hop Doddy (S. Congress) are well worth checking out as well.

drschemel
09-30-2013, 03:34 PM
[QUOTE=east tx skier;981802]
I thought only Rachel Ray called South Congress "SoCo." ;) (sorry, pet peeve).
QUOTE]

If SoCo doesn't work out, he can alway look into L.A. (lower Arkansas)!

TxsRiverRat
09-30-2013, 05:12 PM
I'll be on the hunt for affordable moorage on the water somewhere and if I can find something we can afford I'll drag the boat down. Either way we are very excited about this adventure.

It's probably free right now since they don;t have any water ;/

varun
10-08-2013, 05:11 AM
Lake Austin has water and thats where everyone is boating now. Slips/Docks are generally hard to find on Lake Austin given the demand. I recommend Lake Austin Marina, or Oysters Landing Marina. Sent you a PM, enjoy our little town and good luck with the move!

Astepatatime
10-08-2013, 11:38 PM
Thread hijack alert...going to piggyback off this topic.

We currently live in Alabama, but plan to move (back) to Texas in the next 18 months or so. Our older children are there, in the San Antonio area, Scherz specifically. We're going to be looking anywhere from San Antonio up to Austin - within a couple hour drive.

My first preference would be to live directly on a lake. But only want to do that if I can have a dock and keep the boat there. That rules out quite a few lakes. So we may be keeping it at a marina.

We'll be making a trip in November to do some general research on cities, subdivisions, and looking at some lakes. Would love to hear any suggestions. Some general criteria
- Schools very important. Prefer public schools, but must be very highly rated. We'll have a boy in high school who's pretty bright.
- Closer to an airport - SA or Austin - would be nice as I travel a lot.
- Price range will probably be $500k - 700k

We're not yet ready to waste a realtor's time, so on this scouting trip, are thinking of looking at subdivisions that have model homes, etc. that we can see on our own. Probably new(er) construction. Please suggest a couple (subdivision name and city) that we might want to look at.

Thanks in advance!

east tx skier
10-09-2013, 09:01 AM
It doesn't necessarily meet all of your criteria, but check out New Braunfels. My brother in law and his family live there and it is where I would try to live were I ever to move back to central Texas.

mustangtexas
10-09-2013, 12:08 PM
http://sanmarcosriverranch.com/

TxsRiverRat
10-10-2013, 02:29 PM
- Closer to an airport - SA or Austin - would be nice as I travel a lot.

Try seeing if Frame Switch Lake in Hutto has memberships available.

Astepatatime
10-10-2013, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. Both are for skiing - we're wakeboarders & surfers.

But keep 'em coming for subdivisions that you think are nice, especially new construction.

TxsRiverRat
10-11-2013, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. Both are for skiing - we're wakeboarders & surfers.

Oh.... You're one of THEM! :D :D :D :uglyhamme:uglyhamme

jsturvey
10-12-2013, 12:02 AM
I live in the Cibolo / Schertz area (NE San Antonio) and love it here. Has a small town feel to it. Airport is just over 20 min away. Schools are great too.

pmkkdx
10-14-2013, 01:17 PM
Horseshoe Bay, Kingsland, Granite Shoals are all on Lake LBJ. Marble Falls schools and there is an upcoming Christian Academy there too as a private school option. LBJ is constant level (for now) and there is likely relatively new construction on the water, just not sure if the 500-700k price range but possibly. All of those are about 1 hour from Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (ABIA) and probably only about 1.5 hour from San Antonio Airport all depending on traffic and time of day. There are a few more large subdivisions on Lake LBJ but not so likely for new/newer construction other than spotty hit/miss. I work in East Austin, about 8 miles north of ABIA and have given serious consideration to the areas listed above with it being about a 70 mile commute which we will likely do at some point once my MIL has to move into assisted living/nursing home care or worse.

Astepatatime
10-16-2013, 04:19 PM
Thanks folks. Will do some research into those places.

We're also going to take a look at Newcombe ranch in the New Braunfels area. My wife is a tennis nut, so that fits. Anyone familiar with that development?

east tx skier
10-16-2013, 05:24 PM
You pretty much can't beat it for tennis.

jsturvey
10-27-2013, 10:43 PM
I drive by there every time I go to Canyon Lake. It's about a 15 minute drive up FM 2722 to the southern side of the lake. The area around there is relatively newly developed. Hwy 46 (right in front of the development) has recently been widened as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Astepatatime
11-23-2013, 04:42 PM
Update: a couple of weeks ago, we spent a long weekend looking at developments from Boerne to New Braunfels. Saw a lot of things we really liked. Cordillera Ranch was very nice, some great view lots available, but it was just a bit too remote for my taste, especially with frequent airport trips on the horizon.

We ended up buying a very nice lot in Newcombe Estates. Love the community feel of the place. We play a lot of tennis, so that works. It's a short trip to Canyon Lake, and I can get to the airports pretty easily.

I'm guessing we'll hold the lot for about a year and then look at building a home. My wife is already bookmarking designs and features. This will be a full custom and it should be fun to create our dream home.

_fng_
11-23-2013, 05:30 PM
Welcome to New Braunfels, you'll love it. I moved here 3 years ago and am very happy with the decision. Canyon lake can be challenging to find good water but there are usually a few good coves. I've seen a X55 on Lake Dunlap before but I think it is too small and shallow for a boat of that size.