PDA

View Full Version : Service needed on my '03 trailer?

tdjaster
06-05-2013, 10:58 PM
I've got a 2003 single axle MC trailer. I replaced the brake pads on it last year. What other service should I be doing?

Brake lines?

Bearings?

mikeg205
06-05-2013, 11:03 PM
check if any pressure loss in break lines - leakage...

check spindles for wear... if you never changed bearings and races - it's a cheap fix... and lot's of piece of mind.

tdjaster
06-05-2013, 11:11 PM
check if any pressure loss in break lines - leakage...

check spindles for wear... if you never changed bearings and races - it's a cheap fix... and lot's of piece of mind.

I've had the boat and trailer for a little over a year and I doubt the previous owner did anything like this.

Any quick tips on how to check for pressure loss? I changed bearings on a trailer several years ago but don't exactly recall what to do. I'll take all of the suggestions I can get.

JRW160
06-05-2013, 11:12 PM
My 2003 trailer has oil bath bearings. If they aren't letting water in, I wouldn't mess with the seals. I would just change the bearing oil.

I had to change the large roller under the boat on the trailer because it was worn out in the middle.

tdjaster
06-05-2013, 11:17 PM
My 2003 trailer has oil bath bearings. If they aren't letting water in, I wouldn't mess with the seals. I would just change the bearing oil.

I had to change the large roller under the boat on the trailer because it was worn out in the middle.

I've never changed bearing oil. I'm guessing this is an easy job? I think my roller is still looking good.

Fletchx7
06-06-2013, 09:07 AM
I've never changed bearing oil. I'm guessing this is an easy job? I think my roller is still looking good.

It's pretty simple. I have an 02 with oil baths. On mine, pull the wheel and you will find allen screw on the side of the hub. Back that out, rotate the hub and drain. I replaced with 50 wt oil per my owners manual. It takes more time to jack up the trailer and yank the wheels than it does to change the oil.

bturner2
06-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Take a real good look at your calipers. 03s had Reliable components and those were known to hang and cause bearing/tire failure. The Reliable master cylinder is going to have issues eventually too. Do a search on Reliable on this site and watch the page light up......

mikeg205
06-06-2013, 10:18 AM
I've had the boat and trailer for a little over a year and I doubt the previous owner did anything like this.

Any quick tips on how to check for pressure loss? I changed bearings on a trailer several years ago but don't exactly recall what to do. I'll take all of the suggestions I can get.

I jack up trailer put it on stands then - I used a ratchet strap to push actuator in - then check if wheels lock....wait a little while and then check again... if wheels turn fluid leaking somewhere..

I had a brake line that leaked a couple years back. My trailer is a '95 so I baby it...