PDA

View Full Version : Intake Screen/Strainer Help

mcookgraphics
06-05-2013, 02:59 PM
Missing one of the screens for ballast intake on the back of my 01 X-Star. Anyone have link to get replacement? As they just slide into the intake hole I assume it's common for them to get lost. Suggestions?

swatguy
06-07-2013, 05:26 PM
I would think bass pro or any fishing boat dealer would be a perfect place. These are still used on a ton of bass boats for live well pickups

hangdog12a
10-02-2015, 01:24 PM
did you find the replacements? I need two as well.

ColoradoSteiss
11-06-2016, 03:32 PM
You can buy them at www.waterskis.com/MasterCraft-Ballast-Strainer-p/ballast_strainer_2001.htm
or
www.flow-rite.com/products/marine/34-fittings/ma-018

But I have a question... How in the world do you take them off without breaking off the flange?
Do they really just snap off? I tried using a flathead to pry the fitting off and the male flange broke off in the boat..

jharmon203
11-07-2016, 09:27 AM
For what it's worth, all new thru-hulls do not have strainers on them. You can get them, but it's not necessarily.

I spoke with wakemakers and they said it really more just creates a flow restriction that really provides a benefit.

ColoradoSteiss
11-07-2016, 10:06 AM
Our 2001 X-Star has the old aerator pump system, before they switched to the reversible impeller a couple years later. I don't think those little Johnson pumps could handle any debris. Unfortunately I purchased the fixer-upper X-Star after it was winterized so I have no idea how efficient the stock ballast is. But I am OCD and have plenty of time until spring to fix all these little things. I love this forum, great ideas for improvements down the road!