PDA

View Full Version : Need to know if I'm paying to much for 01 xstar

andersonmc
06-04-2013, 01:51 PM
So I found a 2001 xstar here in the the NW for $18k. Here is the down low on the boat. Boat is not in great shape. Interior was redone so they addressed that issue but the carpet needs to be replaced. The hull has over 1100 hours on it but he said it has a factory recall motor that only has 854 hours. He has no documention on the motor being replaced. I think I could probalbly get serial number off motor and call Indmar and find out if he is telling the truth but I don't know if they could tell me if the hours are correct??? So without proof I assume we're tallking about a boat with around 1150 hours. Also he has only owned the boat for 4 years and says he dosn't have any service records. It would be on his word only. He said he looked into getting the boat gel coat redone. So I assume the gel in in bad shape. Now I haven't seen the boat yet so I'm not sure if it could be wet sanded cut and buff or if the gel is bad enough that it would require new. Pictures didn't look bad but you can't tell anything until you actually see boat in person.

So with that being said what is a good price to start out with? Obviously I would have the boat checked out by my shop before I agree on a price but if the motor is good and considering the hours and condition what is a fair price? I feel $18k is just too high but I don't know.

Thanks guys

gsxrjtt
06-04-2013, 01:56 PM
My Boat nada book says 16k trade in but hours seem high and needs work i think 13-14k.. Just my 2c

andersonmc
06-04-2013, 02:21 PM
I was thinking around the same number. The hours don't scare me as much as not having any service records. Plus if it needs a gel coat I know thats big money. My last boat it was $10k for a complet gel coat and it was a good deal since I did some trade. I'm scared what the shop might find.

How much for a crate motor for one of these with labor?

What other issues were a concern with the early xstars?

brucemac
06-04-2013, 03:13 PM
I stopped reading halfway through that mess. I'd be pretty leary. Take it for what it's worth, but my opinion is to keep looking. If it's close, I'd say go take a peak at it, but if they didn't even bother to keep service records, how well do you think they took care of the boat in those 4 years?

andersonmc
06-04-2013, 04:11 PM
I just called the shop and he said he wouldn't touch the boat unless it was for like $10k. He said he was more concerned about knowing if it was a marine engine that was put back in. Plus he said the hours were a huge concern not knowing the service. I'll probably offer the guy $10k and if he says no then I know there is a better turn key boat out there.

Rossterman
06-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Wow! Usually the seller is overly optimistic about how good of condition their boat is in compared to what a buyer thinks.

So to recap....1,000's of hours, suspect maintenance, no records on engine replacement, and owner is considering it may need to be regelled?

Would love to see pictures but I would be running away from this if anything over $12K!

andersonmc
06-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Wow! Usually the seller is overly optimistic about how good of condition their boat is in compared to a seller.

So to recap....1,000's of hours, suspect maintenance, no records on engine replacement, and owner is considering it may need to be regelled?

Would love to see pictures but I would be running away from this if anything over $12K!

lol!!

gsxrjtt
06-04-2013, 06:25 PM
On the other side of things sometimes people just dont know what they have or do they care and its a great way to score a great deal... Cant tell you how many Motorcycles, boats cars i have purchased just because of those reasons.. and they really just need a little TLC and have a big pay out ...always worth a little time if you have it to inspect

andersonmc
06-04-2013, 06:38 PM
On the other side of things sometimes people just dont know what they have or do they care and its a great way to score a great deal... Cant tell you how many Motorcycles, boats cars i have purchased just because of those reasons.. and they really just need a little TLC and have a big pay out ...always worth a little time if you have it to inspect

Well he did tell me that he got a quote to fix the gelcoat and it was $3k. So obviously it has issues in that department. Its good to score a good deal but I don't want to lose my ***.

ttu
06-04-2013, 07:19 PM
to bad you are up in the northwest. there is a really nice looking 205v in Wichita Kansas

http://wichita.craigslist.org/boa/3792850484.html

dvsone79
06-04-2013, 10:10 PM
to bad you are up in the northwest. there is a really nice looking 205v in Wichita Kansas

http://wichita.craigslist.org/boa/3792850484.html

Nice looking boat. Interesting graphics on the transom. At that price with those hours, that boat should sell quick.

willg
06-04-2013, 11:31 PM
I paid $16k for my 2002 xstar w/ 168 hours. Boat needed rear deck cushion, stereo, cover/canvas, perfect pass, light trailer work, and general cleaning.

1000+ hours is a lot of hours. Might need a new tranny soon. Is there a way to hook up a computer to the engine control module and get a more accurate hours count? I read elsewhere that if it is digitally controlled this is possible.

VP46
06-05-2013, 01:29 AM
I paid $16k for my 2002 xstar w/ 168 hours. Boat needed rear deck cushion, stereo, cover/canvas, perfect pass, light trailer work, and general cleaning.

1000+ hours is a lot of hours. Might need a new tranny soon. Is there a way to hook up a computer to the engine control module and get a more accurate hours count? I read elsewhere that if it is digitally controlled this is possible.

I paid what the guy owed on my 02 x-star - 28k. It only had 96 hrs, a tandem trailer, perfect pass and loud dual amp stereo. It needed nothing but to be dusted.

16k for 168hrs is absolutely stealing it!

swatguy
06-05-2013, 11:19 AM
That 205v in the add looks like a good clean rig. Not the deal of the century once you figure adding in auto ballast and the 99 config with the lack of wrap around seating, but good price at 19900. The lack is actually an advantage in this boat if you don't have a huge crew. It really opens this otherwise smaller v drive up for cooler space and much needed leg room. With that said again turn key, nice looking, we maintained low hour v drives carry a premium. That add is pretty detailed and I would bet its cared for and would probably be worth every penny I the long run

I posted my response on the 01 over on WW so won't repeat it

shepherd
06-05-2013, 11:32 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about service records if the guy maintained the boat himself. I know a lot of people on this site, including me, do our own routine annual maintenance (change fluids, impeller, etc.). I don't keep a record, I just do it every year. I don't keep the receipts from Pep Boys when I buy the oil. If I do take the boat into the shop for service though, I will save the receipts.

Get the boat checked out. I had the shop hook my engine up to the computer and they gave me a printout of almost everything that engine did during its lifetime. Good info.

mzimme
06-05-2013, 11:48 AM
That 205v in the add looks like a good clean rig. Not the deal of the century once you figure adding in auto ballast and the 99 config with the lack of wrap around seating. The lack is actually an advantage in this boat if you don't have a huge crew. It really opens this otherwise smaller v drive up for cooler space and much needed leg room. With that said again turn key, nice looking, we maintained low hour v drives carry a premium. That add is pretty detailed and I would bet its cared for and would probably be worth every penny I the long run

I posted my response on the 01 over on WW so won't repeat it

My buddy is buying that boat. Already worked the deal out... it's just contingent on the new interior looking good. The dealer agreed to wet sand/buff the entire boat, new interior, comes with ballast bags and external pump, full inspection, brand new Acme prop, etc. The owner of that boat worked at the dealer thats selling it (marine world) for 10 years, and bought a newer boat, so this one had to go. I think he said he kept it on Table Rock.

I should see it this weekend... as long as they get all the work done to it, my buddy is bringing it up to KC for a weekend of camping and boating, plus he has no idea how to drive a v-drive and wants me to go over some things with him, so he's coming up here. Sounds like that dealer was good to work with though, for future reference.

swatguy
06-05-2013, 11:51 AM
My buddy just called on 99. It's got a deal worked up

swatguy
06-05-2013, 11:53 AM
MZ.

Daum. That was good find. My buddy was all set to roll on that. Keep me posted. Good luck

ttu
06-05-2013, 12:06 PM
swat, maybe your friend might be interested in this one.

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/boa/3840639845.html

mzimme
06-05-2013, 12:28 PM
MZ.

Daum. That was good find. My buddy was all set to roll on that. Keep me posted. Good luck

Yeah I'll take some pictures of it this weekend I'm sure.

jessejames
06-05-2013, 03:21 PM
Just for price calibration purposes for you guys looking. I bought my 99 Prostar 205V last year in Champagne, IL for $18k. It is red with X-star graphics and original X-star tower, perfect pass, 2x 600lb ballasts with homemade built-in ballast system (using water puppy pump). It had 450hrs and the gel coat was still perfect.

It needed:
new throttle cable
Alternator (mounting ear was broken)
observer and rear seat bottom upholstry
Stereo (had ok one with amps, but I'm obsessed with a good stereo so I upgraded)
good cleaning

I would say that little rock 205V for $22k is a pretty fair price. The 99 in KS is a good deal. I feel I got a deal on mine. The guy had several people lined up behind me ready to pay more.

PS. I agree with the post about the wrap around seating being better with out it in this hull. It takes up a lot of space. I like throwing a cooler there instead and someone can sit on it if needed.

andersonmc
06-05-2013, 06:40 PM
Those Prostar 205v's are so rare it seems. I never see them for sale. If I did I would jump on one in a heart beat.

andersonmc
06-06-2013, 12:12 PM
Well talked to the owner of the boat and he said his family wants to keep it until the middle of August. He is moving down to California and wants to sell the boat right before they leave. Do boat prices go down the later summer gets? Should a mid August boat price be cheaper then say if I were to purchase it now. If I can get this boat for super cheap then I will wait but not sure what super cheap should be. I did have my shop say unless I could get that boat for $10k he wouldn't even touch it. What do you guys think?

mzimme
06-06-2013, 01:01 PM
If it was me, I wouldn't want to wait until August to MAYBE get a boat that sounds to be in bad condition. I'd continue my search, get one sooner, enjoy the season, and not think twice about it.

andersonmc
06-07-2013, 04:28 PM
So after talking to 3 mastercraft dealers, and 2 different shops I came to conclusion that this boat is not worth taking a chance on. They all felt with no service records, no documentation of new engine, lack of care to exterior, and over all apperance its just a big mess. I'm basically going to offer him a cash offer of difference of changing out motor and trans with the 3k gelcoat repair. I've seen a couple cherry xstars go for 20k-25k range around here with low hours. So I think I'll offer him like $8k otherwise I'll walk.

chevyluv
06-07-2013, 06:52 PM
So after talking to 3 mastercraft dealers, and 2 different shops I came to conclusion that this boat is not worth taking a chance on. They all felt with no service records, no documentation of new engine, lack of care to exterior, and over all apperance its just a big mess. I'm basically going to offer him a cash offer of difference of changing out motor and trans with the 3k gelcoat repair. I've seen a couple cherry xstars go for 20k-25k range around here with low hours. So I think I'll offer him like $8k otherwise I'll walk.

man id love to know where you guys shopping. i spent the last 8 months looking for a boat. and eventually found the one i picked up. 2001 x star crazy stereo but needs about 2500$ in work and elbow grease and has 750 hours.

one thing i found in my search if you want all the options people want like v drive, bow rider, low hours. unless you fluke out you get what you pay for.

if you want a cherry boat with low hours you need to break open the piggy bank, because what i found there is a lot more people out there who thrash there boats then who take care of them, and those who have the desired boats in nice shape know people will pay the price for them especially in peak season.

not saying this boat is a good deal and your wrong.

andersonmc
06-07-2013, 07:37 PM
man id love to know where you guys shopping. i spent the last 8 months looking for a boat. and eventually found the one i picked up. 2001 x star crazy stereo but needs about 2500$ in work and elbow grease and has 750 hours.

one thing i found in my search if you want all the options people want like v drive, bow rider, low hours. unless you fluke out you get what you pay for.

if you want a cherry boat with low hours you need to break open the piggy bank, because what i found there is a lot more people out there who thrash there boats then who take care of them, and those who have the desired boats in nice shape know people will pay the price for them especially in peak season.

not saying this boat is a good deal and your wrong.

What did you pay for yours?

mobilecascade
06-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Anders.....

Here's one up the street from me a few houses...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/boa/3849357384.html

When our family was looking last year in the spring & he didnt want to sell....he keeps it in dry storage all winter and most of the summer.... Seems to keep everything he has (vehicles, jet skis etc) in good/clean shape. I tried but he didn't want to sell until this year...... So we bought a '02 Xstar last Aug. (gotta strike when momma says go. )....

Just thought to pass along a 205 if you were looking...... It's a '93 tho and DD

mobilecascade
06-10-2013, 05:09 PM
Are you by chance the one in CL looking for XStar/205 ads? Ask only because a friend pointed out a few ads these last few weeks and called me to see if we were selling ours....

andersonmc
06-11-2013, 11:04 AM
[QUOTE=mobilecascade;944958]Are you by chance the one in CL looking for XStar/205 ads? Ask only because a friend pointed out a few ads these last few weeks and called me to see if we were selling ours....[/QUOTEY

Ya I posted the ad hoping someone would see it and want to sell their boat and upgrade to a newer one. I had a few bites but nothing so far. I saw that 205 but refuse to get another DD drive. So are in you in the market to sell yours?

mobilecascade
06-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Lol....

Just got home from shift and asked the boss....

She just told me "sure....only if she goes with the boat." She also just told me "to please send pic."

Careful brutha... She's a So Carolina strawberry blonde... You'd have your hands full... 8^)

jessejames
06-11-2013, 06:42 PM

I would just walk away. The dealers are right. You don't want to insult the guy either by low balling. I know how hard is to hold that load in once you start looking, but if you hold out a little longer you will find something nice to blow it on! :eek:

They are out there, just expand your search a little more. Try BoatTrader.com and onlyinboards.com and don't be afraid to drive or pay a little for it. Just get good pics first. Like Chevyluv said, if it's nice you are going to pay for it.