PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court Nominee

PendO
10-03-2005, 10:44 PM
So, *** is GW thinking appointing someone with no judicial experience?

http://www.comcast.net/news/index.jsp?cat=GENERAL&fn=/2005/10/03/234158.html

"Court Nominee Has No Judicial Experience" is the headline. [Oh, and I am a Republican, so it is not a partisan issue ... and if you ask me she looks a lot like Pamela Anderson]

I'm hoping for a filibuster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shepherd
10-03-2005, 10:53 PM
Pamela Anderson??? :confused:

Here, let me rub my eyes again...

Nope, don't see it :cool:

I think it's time to google search "pamela anderson pics" now. See ya!

RackAtak
10-03-2005, 11:03 PM
[Oh, and I am a Republican, so it is not a partisan issue ... and if you ask me she looks a lot like Pamela Anderson]

I'm hoping for a filibuster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nah...I think she kind of looks like an ostrich and Bush looks like he's about ready to smack someone in the chops :popcorn:

milkmania
10-03-2005, 11:06 PM
when does the Bush legacy end?
2008???

geez, I only hope it's over by then

milkmania
10-03-2005, 11:07 PM
Bush looks like he's about ready to smack someone in the chops :popcorn:

looks like he's been smacked down....wwf style:woohoo:

PendO
10-03-2005, 11:11 PM
Seriously, "NO JUDICIAL EXPERIENCE" is a pretty big deal, the Dem's are going to have a hay-day with this ... as they should!

Ric
10-03-2005, 11:35 PM
when does the Bush legacy end?
2008???

geez, I only hope it's over by then
milk, the latest polls show Jeb Bush 40 points ahead of hillary for prez 2008

milkmania
10-03-2005, 11:43 PM

now you better stop that right now:rant::rant::rant:

;)

PendO
10-03-2005, 11:45 PM

Yeah, but that was the poll numbers from the last family BBQ;)

milkmania
10-03-2005, 11:45 PM
Yeah, but that was the poll numbers from the last family BBQ;)

you can bet your butt who paid for that too!!!

Ric
10-03-2005, 11:46 PM
now you better stop that right now:

;)

true, it's early so the margin of error is +/-10 but it's looking like it will happen and by the time he's termed out, the twins should be old enough for a run at it :friday:

Ric
10-04-2005, 12:02 AM
Seriously, "NO JUDICIAL EXPERIENCE" is a pretty big deal, the Dem's are going to have a hay-day with this ... as they should!
What's fun to watch is that his pick has the right upset as well. Naturally the dems will oppose whoever he nominates. But I've heard conservatives from bill crystol to crazy michael savage speaking against this move as a show of weakness or pandering to the opposition.

What if...... this nominee is the red herring? The nominee who can afford to lose... Then, when this turns into a fight. Bush ultimately wins with a new nominee that he really wanted in there?
Bush is like the tar baby, they beat him up and beat him up and it only makes those attackers look worse.

stevo137
10-04-2005, 12:05 AM
What's fun to watch is that his pick has the right upset as well. Naturally the dems will oppose whoever he nominates. But I've heard conservatives from bill crystol to crazy michael savage speaking against this move as a show of weakness or pandering to the opposition.

What if...... this nominee is the red herring? The nominee who can afford to lose... Then, when this turns into a fight. Bush ultimately wins with a new nominee that he really wanted in there?
Bush is like the tar baby, they beat him up and beat him up and it only makes those attackers look worse.
Could be.
She's going to have a rough road...

PendO
10-04-2005, 12:39 AM
Even Rush was giving it to Cheney about this nominee today... I'd agree with you Ric but it's not like he had a tough time with Roberts getting confirmed, there are several other well qualified females out there if that is what he wants (although it sounds like Laura wants a female in there as well).

His Supreme Court, and to a lesser extend all federal judges he appoints, will be his legacy.

Leroy
10-04-2005, 12:46 AM
Well certainly not Pam....better take it easier on the weed POS.....she has been a trial lawyer, so she knows her stuff.

Bush is setting up a court that will vote his way for decades. I see no problem with ROberts, this guy is sooooo smart, or her(keep some doubts on her since so little is know about her yet), even with her being Bush's personal lawyer......

... and if you ask me she looks a lot like Pamela Anderson]

PendO
10-04-2005, 12:54 AM
For that position she had better be a graduate of one of the top 10 law schools and graduate 1 or 2 in her class. Roberts is hella smart, check out his Resume http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Roberts

but this lady doesn't hold a candle next to him, also check out Sandra Day Oconor's bio

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandra_day_oconnor

Well certainly not Pam....better take it easier on the weed POS.....she has been a trial lawyer, so she knows her stuff.

Bush is setting up a court that will vote his way for decades. I see no problem with ROberts, this guy is sooooo smart, or her(keep some doubts on her since so little is know about her yet), even with her being Bush's personal lawyer......

Leroy
10-04-2005, 01:08 AM
Let's see how she holds up to Senate questioning. While no Pam, she could mentally bomb or end up looking as smart as Roberts.

Ric
10-04-2005, 10:09 AM
Could be.
She's going to have a rough road...
put the part about me being a smaaarrt maaan back up there stevo! ;)

east tx skier
10-04-2005, 10:20 AM
For that position she had better be a graduate of one of the top 10 law schools and graduate 1 or 2 in her class. Roberts is hella smart, check out his Resume http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Roberts

but this lady doesn't hold a candle next to him, also check out Sandra Day Oconor's bio

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandra_day_oconnor

According to my resume, I'm hellasmart, too. ;) Top 10 law school, class rank, that's all stuff you look at when someone is applying for his/her first job. Going to law school and practicing law or being a judge isn't even close to being the same thing. But that's just my opinion. Some of the best lawyers I've seen did not post such great numbers in law school. Some did, but most had unremarkable law school careers.

It's hard to say what kind of judge someone will be until they actually start writing opinions. The only thing these picks indicate is that he wasn't up for much of a fight. O'Connor was a pick that seemed to come out of nowhere. In her case, she was expected to be far more conservative than she was on the bench. She was a great Judge, and I hope we haven't seen the last of such moderate judicial temperament.

stevo137
10-04-2005, 10:30 AM
put the part about me being a smaaarrt maaan back up there stevo! ;)
You caught that.
You a very smart man Ric. ;)

Danimal
10-04-2005, 10:39 AM
Here's what irritates me about this whole thing... the GOP owns Wahington right now. We even have the tie breaker in Cheney. Bush said in his innaugural speach that he was going to spend his political capital and this is what we Repubs get from him? An unknown?? This nominee is a sign of perceived weakness. The GOP is not weak? I'm so tired of Repubs not flexing their muscle and buckling under the pressure. If the Dems were in, they would nominate a wing nut to legislate from the bench (as usual). Bush had his chance to fix the courts and he just might fail in that quest. This nominee may be fine but I really don't want to wait ten years to find out when Bush had a chance to push through a true conservative and did not.

east tx skier
10-04-2005, 10:57 AM
Just my dumb opinion, but nominating a judge based on how you think they'll vote on a particular issue is a bad way to pick a judge. Give me an astute legal mind who can write a thought-provoking opinion, whether I agree with it or not, and I'll be satisfied. If they haven't been an appellate level judge and written legal opinions from the appellate perspective, we cannot say what kind of judge they will be. I've seen some able lawyers get to that position only to discover that it doesn't suit them.

Republicans used to be the party of limited government. What happened to that? I guess when you get control of everything, the notion of limitations gets thrown out the window.

/flame suit on. back on political discussion sabbatical.

Ric
10-04-2005, 11:05 AM
It's just the bush family plan to take over the world.
Texas people will soon control all facets of washington, the military, energy and the space program and you're all dooommed ........ dooooooomed ........... bwuahahahahahha!
Eastie, isn't TX the one state that can legally secede from the union?

Just my dumb opinion, but nominating a judge based on how you think they'll vote on a particular issue is a bad way to pick a judge. Give me an astute legal mind who can write a thought-provoking opinion, whether I agree with it or not, and I'll be satisfied. If they haven't been an appellate level judge and written legal opinions from the appellate perspective, we cannot say what kind of judge they will be. I've seen some able lawyers get to that position only to discover that it doesn't suit them.

Republicans used to be the party of limited government. What happened to that? I guess when you get control of everything, the notion of limitations gets thrown out the window.

/flame suit on. back on political discussion sabbatical.

LakePirate
10-04-2005, 11:07 AM
My political soapbox will remain vacant.

east tx skier
10-04-2005, 11:10 AM
Ric, I can't remember about that the secession thing, but I know we can fly our state flag at the same height as the US flag.

milkmania
10-04-2005, 11:11 AM
....slowly backing out of this roomhttp://www.msfn.org/board/style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif

Ric
10-04-2005, 11:12 AM
....slowly backing out of this roomhttp://www.msfn.org/board/style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif
where ya goin?.......... cmon ther'll be government milk for everyone :D

peason
10-04-2005, 11:15 AM
Agreed, bad idea - why pour more gasoline on the fire! Even the right is backing away from Bush.

milkmania
10-04-2005, 11:15 AM
where ya goin?.......... cmon ther'll be government milk for everyone :D

"It's all about the Benjamins"http://www.msfn.org/board/style_emoticons/default/crazy.gif

east tx skier
10-04-2005, 11:29 AM
Milk, it's all about the snazzy new smilies. Where you getting them. I want the whistling fellow so I can back out of the room with along with you.

PendO
10-04-2005, 12:44 PM
i'd agree that your class rank/school only matter for your first job ... unless it is the Supreme Court, I know there are no Supreme Court Justices coming out of my law school (although our Governor went there - 1977), and I'm fine with that. Oconnor was 2nd in her class at Stanford ... to Rehnquist ... I am not comfortable having a Supreme Court Justice appointed having never seen her write an opinion from the bench.

Just give us a great legal mind with some experience from the bench. At 60 years old Ms. Miers could be around for a long time - gotta love that job security.

According to my resume, I'm hellasmart, too. ;) Top 10 law school, class rank, that's all stuff you look at when someone is applying for his/her first job. Going to law school and practicing law or being a judge isn't even close to being the same thing. But that's just my opinion. Some of the best lawyers I've seen did not post such great numbers in law school. Some did, but most had unremarkable law school careers.

It's hard to say what kind of judge someone will be until they actually start writing opinions. The only thing these picks indicate is that he wasn't up for much of a fight. O'Connor was a pick that seemed to come out of nowhere. In her case, she was expected to be far more conservative than she was on the bench. She was a great Judge, and I hope we haven't seen the last of such moderate judicial temperament.

maristarman
10-04-2005, 01:45 PM
Rehnquist wasn't a judge before he was appointed to the Supreme Court.

What are your opinions about how he did as a Supreme Court Justice?

It has alos happened other times in the past.

Don't get me wrong, I don't know anything about this woman he nominated.

I do know that the president nominating someone that has never served as a judge before is not a precedent.

east tx skier
10-04-2005, 02:04 PM
I think he was a smart man and will be remembered as a good USSC Chief Justice. Lucky for us. Hard to know on the front side if they don't have an appellate judicial background IMO.

PendO
10-04-2005, 09:14 PM
Rehnquist wasn't a judge before he was appointed to the Supreme Court.

What are your opinions about how he did as a Supreme Court Justice?

It has alos happened other times in the past.

Don't get me wrong, I don't know anything about this woman he nominated.

I do know that the president nominating someone that has never served as a judge before is not a precedent.

Maristar, your right that he was not a judge first, like some other justices (here is his bio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rehnquist ) as much as possible I just wish we were getting a bit of a known quantity as a nominee. As for my opinion of Rehnquist, from some of his opinions we did not see eye to eye on idealogy or constitutional interpretation , but I guess I can be glad there are 9 people on the court, not just 1 or 3.

I added her pic again ... man, what a hottie.

SKI*MC
10-04-2005, 10:06 PM
i personally think it was a horrible choice. There were plenty of qualified people for the job (people that were already Judges) But picking someone that only had a lawferm, and has NEVER even been a jugde was not the smart path to take, especially for the SUPREME COURT!

Ron Grover
10-05-2005, 11:30 AM
I think Jay Leno said it best last night.

She donated $1000 to the Al Gore campaign and she said Bush was one of the smartest men she has ever met.

What are we thinking hiring her for her judgement.

:)

Leroy
10-27-2005, 10:33 AM
Well it looks like the wisdom of this board prevails. Miers is out.

PendO
10-27-2005, 07:14 PM
Well it looks like the wisdom of this board prevails. Miers is out.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9837151/

Yeah, pretty sure she was feeling pressure from TMC:) Either way it will be interesting to see who is next!

SKI*MC
10-27-2005, 07:29 PM
that was a close call, we almost put ANOTHER unqualified person into a high ranking position :noface:

PendO
10-28-2005, 12:46 AM
that was a close call, we almost put ANOTHER unqualified person into a high ranking position :noface:

At this point in the game I would have to agree with you ... unfortunately!

MarkP
10-28-2005, 12:35 PM
Well, Well, Well!!http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/images/smilies/yeahthat.gif