PDA

View Full Version : Problem preparing my boat for summer

spicergregg@yahoo.com
06-03-2013, 05:25 PM
I can't get water to get sucked into the engine using my fake a lake. It has worked for me for years but not this year. I am sure there isn't anything in the water lines.
Do you think putting it in the lake will work?
Thanks

catamount
06-03-2013, 05:29 PM
I think we're going to need more details. Have you inspected your impeller this year?

thatsmrmastercraft
06-03-2013, 05:29 PM
Is your impeller intact, or even there? Also take a look at your transmission cooler screen to be sure it isn't clogged with debris and not allowing water to get through.

If the fake-a-lake won't work, putting it in the water won't be any better.

MattsCraft
06-03-2013, 05:46 PM
Agree with above comments, also make sure the petcock valve is open on the raw water line.

Cloaked
06-03-2013, 05:53 PM
I can't get water to get sucked into the engine using my fake a lake. It has worked for me for years but not this year. I am sure there isn't anything in the water lines.
Do you think putting it in the lake will work?
ThanksForget the fake crapola. Use what you have on the engine. Water the engine through the top of the transmission cooler.

Doesn't get any easier.......then you can troubleshoot...

Done deal....

spicergregg@yahoo.com
06-03-2013, 05:55 PM
The impeller is new this year. I couldn't get the fake a lake to seal like normal.
I'm going to take all the water lines off again and make sure the impeller is not stuck.

spicergregg@yahoo.com
06-03-2013, 05:57 PM
I'll check that out tonight.
The fake a lake just wouldn't seal
Thanks,
Gregg

spicergregg@yahoo.com
06-03-2013, 05:59 PM
I'll check that out tonight. Thanks for the pic
Gregg

roush611
06-03-2013, 06:11 PM
Forget the fake crapola. Use what you have on the engine. Water the engine through the top of the transmission cooler.

Doesn't get any easier.......then you can troubleshoot...

Done deal....

You just undo the hose connect to the tranny cooler and put the garden hose right in there? I have never seen that before but I like it ha ha.

88 PS190
06-03-2013, 07:21 PM
You just undo the hose connect to the tranny cooler and put the garden hose right in there? I have never seen that before but I like it ha ha.

Ya - BUT - it is hard to balance, with a fake a lake you can turn the hose to full and see water spraying out, once it starts it doesn't spray out so much, with the method pictured you cannot turn the hose up to full or it sprays all over your boat.

MikeyOrange88
06-03-2013, 09:52 PM
The impeller is new this year. I couldn't get the fake a lake to seal like normal.
I'm going to take all the water lines off again and make sure the impeller is not stuck.

If the raw water pump is able to suck air from anywhere, it won't ever pull in the water, even if sitting in the water. Check hose clamps at each end of the intake hose and anywhere else air can be getting in. If you can't get the fake-a-lake to seal to the hull, it's time to get a new one or find another method.

spicergregg@yahoo.com
06-03-2013, 10:09 PM
Unfortunately I am in an evacuation area for the Bluebell fire in the Colorado mountains. It is about 4 miles away right now. The boat is hooked up to the truck, my important stuff is packed and I hope to remember the wife and kids if It gets closer.
Thanks for the ideas,
Gregg

MikeyOrange88
06-03-2013, 10:15 PM
Fire and fiberglass boat with vinyl and foam upholstery, that would not end well.
Good luck evacuating your life, sounds like you have your priorities right.

Cloaked
06-03-2013, 10:20 PM
You just undo the hose connect to the tranny cooler and put the garden hose right in there? I have never seen that before but I like it ha ha.Simple as that. Done deal. Works every time...

I moved the tranny cooler on my 93 from the in-line horizontal position back to the vertical position for this very reason. No problems in doing this for the past 34 years.....

Cloaked
06-03-2013, 10:22 PM
Ya - BUT - it is hard to balance, with a fake a lake you can turn the hose to full and see water spraying out, once it starts it doesn't spray out so much, with the method pictured you cannot turn the hose up to full or it sprays all over your boat.lol.. what's to balance? Put that thing in there like you know what you're doing. Don't be skEErt of a water hose nozzle,,,, :D

That cooler will take all of the water the hose can feed it with the engine running..... however my city water supply is only ~ 40 PSI.... :D

mikeg205
06-04-2013, 11:29 AM
USe a 5 gallon bucket...more water available... made this for a fraction of cost of a fake a lake... fill bucket - start motor keep water hose in bucket... also can be used to wet block winterize.

88 PS190
06-04-2013, 12:07 PM
Here's the deal, it will suck all you want, but getting the hose running, in there, and starting it solo is a pain in the rear. Water everywhere, fake a lake I hook up, plug it under the boat and fire it up with out the mess.

When I used to do it from the cooler I had a section of radiator hose and a garden hose nozzle attached, for winterization I'd drain blocks and hoses then pour pink juice into the trans cooler till it was full start it run for a few, turn it off refill.

mzimme
06-04-2013, 12:35 PM
My method for starting out of the water is unhooking the hose from the thru-hull water intake. Put the garden hose in THAT end, and use the hose clamp that is already on the hose to clamp down on the garden hose. No water spraying everywhere, no balancing act, easy to do with 1 person, and the motor will suck water through that hose faster than the city provides it. Give the engine some throttle and watch the hose get sucked in from the vaccuum created (don't do this to high rpms, youll run out of water fast). Works great.

spicergregg@yahoo.com
06-04-2013, 09:54 PM
Thanks for all the help. She is up and running great, as always. '85 S&S. I think my 23 year old fake a lake just wore out. I clamped the garden hose to the intake hose. It only slipped off and soaked me once. I learn fast.

Lumbergh
06-04-2013, 10:44 PM
I am sold on the bucket method. A garbage can would be better.

My boat drinks water from the bucket faster than the hose can refill the bucket.

Mike has the correct idea, I am going to build one myself.

spicergregg@yahoo.com
06-04-2013, 11:36 PM
Is the connector at the bottom of the bucket threaded for a hose