PDA

View Full Version : ACME 841 Prop

washmaster
06-03-2013, 03:04 PM
ACME 841

13x12.5VL4B .080 cup

1 1/8 splined

Bought this just last weekend (5/31 paid over $500+tax) on an emergency basis to get me through the weekend after dinging mine right off the ramp. So it's been used one day (Saturday, for probably 2 hours). It's a bit too much prop for my boat and I'm having the one I dinged, repaired.

Make me an offer. Trying to recover my costs for an expensive weekend.

West_dt
06-11-2013, 09:43 PM
What do you mean it's too much for your boat? New to props and considering a 4 blade

Cloaked
06-11-2013, 10:37 PM
Nice shoes too.... do they come with the prop? :D

CardenFam
06-12-2013, 11:45 PM
What boat did you have this on?

FrankSchwab
06-13-2013, 01:08 AM
What do you mean it's too much for your boat? New to props and considering a 4 blade

Three blade vs. four blade isn't so important. The pitch and diameter are what's important.

You want a prop that maximizes your engine performance. For general use, this means a prop that allows the engine to get up near redline at full throttle on smooth water. That'll give you the maximum speed that's possible out of the boat. If the engine only gets to, say, 4000 RPM, then you're "overpropped" - either the diameter or the pitch is too big, and you won't go as fast and the boat will be a dog out of the hole. People who run with a lot of ballast will often underprop the boat (either a little or a lot) so they have more engine power available at lower speeds to get up on plane. In this situation, the engine will hit redline at full throttle, and you top speed will be lower, in addition to the engine spinning faster at all speeds increasing wear.

My boat came with a cast 14x20 prop (14" diameter, 20" pitch, 4 blade), and it ran 45 or so at full throttle and 4800 RPM or so on smooth water. I got a good deal on a used CNC'ed 13.5x17.5 4-blade, which made a huge difference in my boat - I don't run any ballast, but the boat now jumps out of the hole and it actually improved the hard-turning performance of my boat. Now, though, it'll hit the rev limiter on the engine at full throttle on smooth water, and as a result my top speed is down three or four MPH. It's a good tradeoff for me.

Get in touch with Eric at OJProps (ejojprops on here, IIRC), tell him what boat, engine, and current prop you have (you can read the diameter and pitch off the hub of the prop; you'll probably have to remove the prop nut to do this). Tell him what you want (more power out of the hole, more speed, etc), what kind of watersports you do, and he will often be able to make great suggestions for an appropriate prop for you.

washmaster
06-15-2013, 04:18 PM
Yes, shoes included if that makes the sale!

washmaster
06-15-2013, 04:19 PM
What boat did you have this on?

Tried it on an x9 w/rtp