PDA

View Full Version : Upholstery Damage

slink976
06-03-2013, 01:44 PM
I have a 06 X2 and I am getting some serious damage on the front Vinyl and back engine fat sack locker vinyl. It appears the damage is coming from my cover where is makes contact with the seats. I will try to add some pic's when I get back to my house today. I bought some clear vinyl - I am thinking about cutting it and putting it on top of the seat prior to putting the cover on????? maybe that will work.... I am at a loss.

Has anyone else encountered this? And if so what did you or are you doing to stop this? Is there any cure to reverse the damage? I have tried Mcquires, magic erasers, and about every other thing I could find to fix it.

On another note... Since trying everything I could find to clean the vinyl it now has become "Sticky". I don't know what caused the stickiness nor how to solve it. I have 303'ed it and still sticky.

Any and all suggestions welcomed.

PS - yes I know there are a lot of threads pertaining to and I have tried many of the suggestions.

cruiser
06-03-2013, 02:06 PM
what has happened is that the surface has been broken and the plasticiziers are coming to the surface (the cotton and the adhesive). It might be too late.

slink976
06-03-2013, 02:15 PM
The condition is still decent I mean it's white for the most part. Threading is starting to break in some areas I just just some UV thread from amazon was going to try to repair it myself.

rgardjr1
06-03-2013, 02:27 PM
Does it look anything like this:
http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/9241/imagelje.jpg
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/2606/imagegip.jpg

I think agarabahi ended up putting on new skins to fix it. He made it look a whole lot better by cleaning with Malco and leaving it out in the sun.

slink976
06-03-2013, 02:35 PM
That is a bit worse but yes that is what it looks like. If I get new skins which are extremely expensive I want to ensure that the root problem is fixed. I believe this is from the cover.. but still not 100% on that.

slink976
06-03-2013, 02:47 PM
Did you happen to catch which Malco product was used?

onewheat
06-03-2013, 02:49 PM
That is a bit worse but yes that is what it looks like. If I get new skins which are extremely expensive I want to ensure that the root problem is fixed. I believe this is from the cover.. but still not 100% on that.

I would never use Magic Eraser on seats for one, or "every other thing I could think of". There are definitely things to use and things to avoid when it comes to the longevity of your vinyl. Those pictures tell me those skins are done. I have never had any discoloration from my cover in 6 years, much less what I'm seeing in those pictures.

rgardjr1
06-03-2013, 02:54 PM
Did you happen to catch which Malco product was used?

Looks like it was Malco leather and plastic cleaner. Here is the thread:
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=41958&highlight=skins

Here are the after pictures:

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/9615/imageofx.jpg
http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/5717/imagelkl.jpg

BrooksfamX2
06-03-2013, 03:28 PM
I have the same issue and nothing takes it out. The sun does clear it up pretty well, but once the cover goes on the brown returns. I have even put towels on the seat tops to protect from the cover and it doesn't help.............. seems like once its in the vinyl, its there to stay.

slink976
06-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Exactly the same... I hate covering her now because it looks HORRIBLE the next time I take it out. the longer it sits in the sun the more it fades but it's still apparent.

I tried a towel once too - to no avail. I have some clear vinyl (like old people couch covers ;) I am going to custom cut it and fit it over the mooring eyes in the front. Then from the ski pole to the Mooring eyes in the back. Basically make a protective cover from the cover(sad that its needed) and the seats.

TxsRiverRat
06-03-2013, 04:59 PM
Totally Awesome?

Thrall
06-03-2013, 09:10 PM
Same stuff as Malco leather and vinyl cleaner.
Seems its only the white vinyl. My 06 X2 is the same way if the OE MC cover sits on it for more than a few hrs in the sun.
But my buddies 06 X15 with very light grey vinyl does not do this. His sits all summer on a open lift with a MC cover and no discoloration.
It's a problem inherent to the white vinyl.

Indyxc
06-03-2013, 10:27 PM
I have a 06 X2 new to me with white vinyl, and so far no issues (knock on wood).

Previous owner never stored it outdoors, covered. Frankly, it was never covered, ever, except towing in the rain. He stored it in a storage unit uncovered 100% of the time.

magnum
06-03-2013, 11:51 PM
If you have to order new Skins , I have been told last year was the last year Mastercraft would have skins for an 06 unless you find a dealer that has some left, Our dealer sends out a msg every year that reminds you if you need to order skins, Think they only make them for 6 years

cbryan70
06-04-2013, 12:11 AM
If they r shot who cares what u try. I thought this was a organism in between that caused it. I would start with magic erasor then go to charcoal lighter fluid.......

mrm2083
06-04-2013, 07:40 AM
I think using abrasive cleaners is what causes this in the first place. I used to clean my upholstery with magic earasers and/or products containing bleach whenever i would get a little bit of mold. Eventually it started looking like this and I would just up the magic eraser use. It would look good for a few days and then come back. The vinyl has a protective layer that prevents mold and mildew. I think once youv'e removed that layer the vinyl is shot. I ended up replacing the skins on my boat and now after 3 years they are still perfect. I only clean them with mild soap and use 303. If they get a little bit of mildew I leave it in the sun.

slink976
06-04-2013, 10:41 AM
So I need new skins and they don't make them anymore? that sounds like bad company policy... I bought a Mastercraft for that exact reach, Quality! gonna go look on MC now to see if they have them.

TxsRiverRat
06-04-2013, 12:40 PM
I thought this was a organism in between that caused it.

I had to read that twice... lmao

SSMoose
06-04-2013, 12:43 PM

Ditto.

cbryan70
06-04-2013, 12:54 PM

Either or 8p

slink976
06-06-2013, 11:15 AM
So I laid clear vinyl down and put cover on for 24 hours.

here is the before.

slink976
06-06-2013, 11:17 AM
and here is the after.....

My plan was foiled!

Anyone know where I can get some skins for an 06 X2?

mikeg205
06-06-2013, 11:44 AM
try some totally awesome cleaner... Krud Cutter... Try a little TSP (very diluted on a small section... its a salt so rinse well then wash with cleaner then lots of 303... I am noticing that it's the vinyl treatment that is the part getting dirty and won't wash off... also the sun will be your friend in this situation.

Dylan
06-06-2013, 11:52 AM
If you're ordering new skins anyways, you might try cleaning it one more time before you give up. Get some Totally Awesome and a mild-med brush, and go to town.

slink976
06-06-2013, 12:22 PM
I have cleaned it multiple times... The sun lightens it but once I cover it it always comes back. Got a PM about dye'ing it I think i'll check the prices on that but then again i'm going to be pretty pist if I dye it and the first time I cover it this crap comes back..

Sodar
06-06-2013, 12:27 PM
It is actually mold/mildew/organism that has gotten into the vinyl. When the cover or plastic is put over the vinyl, it does not let the vinyl breathe, the vinyl bakes in the sun and it turns black. This is why the hot sun and air takes the stains away when the cover is off. Nothing is going to "clean" the stains off. This typically happens to boats that are stored outside in the southern states. Humidity exacerbates the issue, so drying the boat out as much as possible before covering will help.

SNATCHEM
01-10-2014, 01:39 AM
Mastercraft Boats, as an incentive to purchase their product, offer a 5 year Warranty on their Upholstery.
Strongly recommend you make a Warranty Claim - quality of the Vinyl is obviously substandard and discolouration of this nature just should not occur.
It has happened to me (and to many others) and my Dealer accused me of letting "Bore Water" stains from our sprinkler system get on my upholstery.
The real truth is, the product is unsuitable and is incompatible with the Mastercraft supplied boat cover !
Other than the Upholstery sadly, my Mastercraft is the best on the river.

atihanyi
01-10-2014, 01:54 PM
I was thinking about this after reading thru it . If its biological and you are at the point where you are writing it off why not try a bleach solution on it and see what that does

BrooksfamX2
01-11-2014, 10:42 AM
and here is the after.....

My plan was foiled!

I tried this also last summer to no avail ............ :o

I have not read one solution to this problem that has worked other than don't cover your boat is this happens. It is random. My friend has an 07 X2 like mine and his doesn't do it.

2010Prostar197
01-11-2014, 12:09 PM
Mold Armor Patio and Furniture cleaner. lt works great on vinyl outdoor chairs. I guess if you are at this point and nothing else has worked I would give it a try. Our local Home Depot carries it. www.moldarmor.com

BrooksfamX2
01-11-2014, 01:11 PM
Mold Armor Patio and Furniture cleaner. lt works great on vinyl outdoor chairs. I guess if you are at this point and nothing else has worked I would give it a try. Our local Home Depot carries it. www.moldarmor.com

I'll give it a shot...

ap77
01-11-2014, 05:41 PM
Has anyone tried 3M mould/mildew remover. I've read on other forums that it works well at removing mould stains. The product reviews were positive. It would be great to find a solution as this issue is not going away...

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=21431&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50218&subdeptNum=50268&classNum=50270#.UtHHkX-9KSM

ap77
01-11-2014, 08:54 PM
Here is an interesting document on the pink staining bacteria that many of us are experiencing...

https://www.omnova.com/products/marineupholstery/documents/Nautolex_PinkStaining_TechBulletin_2012.pdf

BrooksfamX2
01-11-2014, 09:24 PM
hmmm, mines brown, not pink......... uh........ the vinyl stains that is.

ap77
01-11-2014, 09:27 PM
Here is another product you can try to remove the stains...
http://www.pink-away.com

From what I have read it sounds like the bacteria lives inside the seat cushion so replacing the vinyl may not solve the problem. Need to figure out how to kill the bacteria that is living in the cushion. it doesn't sound like their is an easy solution. :mad:

ap77
01-11-2014, 09:31 PM
Does the sun remove the stain?

BrooksfamX2
01-12-2014, 11:49 AM
Does the sun remove the stain?

Only until you cover the boat again. I have noticed that if I have the cover on in cold/cooler weather the effect is less than when covered and sitting in the hot sun. :confused:

atihanyi
01-12-2014, 12:06 PM
hmmm, mines brown, not pink......... uh........ the vinyl stains that is.

I'm glad you cleared that up .:D

JMCDONALD505
01-13-2014, 02:56 PM
I wonder what would happen if you replaced the cushion underneath the vinyl? The cushion is probably the source of the bacteria!