PDA

View Full Version : DLC code 81? Engine issues

Tomi
06-03-2013, 07:17 AM
Hi,

I am having issues where my engine seems to loose power, check light comes on and engine refuses to rev, sputters with hissing sound, run erratically and sometimes shuts down at idle once the issue emerges. Sometimes it runs just fine.

I am guessing this might be related to fuel delivery since replacing the filter helped a little and I noticed that my pump was not set in place but free in the plastic thingy. I only now realized how it is supposed to be and will fix properly tonight.

However, reading the ECM the DLC throws code 81. What is this code?

Googling it returns some transmission shift solenoid. Could this be related to that my throttle linkage is not absolutely fine since the last time I pulled the side console and I have not had time to redo it yet. It works but the center position is not exact. So could it be that my code 81 and engine issues are not related? Or am I causing this engine issue with the throttle lever connection? I thought that it would only cause the engine not start if gear is detected.

-Tomi

Tomi
06-03-2013, 07:18 AM
Oh, and the boat is 2003 Prostar with RTP-1 5,7 EFI engine

CantRepeat
06-03-2013, 08:08 AM
The DTC code 81 has a lot of sub codes that can only be read with a scan tool.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=47950

One of the Indmar guru's post about code 81s in that thread. It might be of some use to you.

It's not a transmission code for sure.

Tomi
06-03-2013, 08:18 AM
Thanks! Both fuel pump and TPS listed in the 81 code possibilities. Sounds like I need to proceed with my initial fix issue list for pump and throttle lever and see if that fixes the problems.

Tomi
06-03-2013, 02:04 PM
Ok, fixed the pump placement and throttle linkage.

The engine runs perfectly until it is run hot. The temperature gauge sits steadily at 160 and oil pressure is good. But once loaded and hot, it refuses to idle and stalls continuously. Once I let it cool of for a while, it idles again just fine.

What should I try next??

CantRepeat
06-03-2013, 02:09 PM
Ok, fixed the pump placement and throttle linkage.

The engine runs perfectly until it is run hot. The temperature gauge sits steadily at 160 and oil pressure is good. But once loaded and hot, it refuses to idle and stalls continuously. Once I let it cool of for a while, it idles again just fine.

What should I try next??

Does it ever go over 160? Are you getting any buzzers or a check engine light?

Tomi
06-03-2013, 02:11 PM
I have never seen the temp to rise over 160. The engine has closed cooling system if it makes any difference.

Check engine light does come at the same time. No buzzers.

CantRepeat
06-03-2013, 02:22 PM
I have never seen the temp to rise over 160. The engine has closed cooling system if it makes any difference.

Check engine light does come at the same time. No buzzers.

What codes is it still showing?

If it's still 81 you are going to need a scan tool. But like that thread says you should check the grounds on the motor and the battery. Make sure they are clean an tight.

Tomi
06-03-2013, 02:25 PM
I did not reset the ECM or re-read the codes! Stupid me...

Will do this tomorrow. It is near night time in Finland and I am already back home but the boat it at the marina.

CantRepeat
06-03-2013, 02:36 PM
No worries.

Let us know what you find.

Tomi
06-05-2013, 03:08 PM
Today went through the engine and checked all plugs. No issues. Found some old impeller pieces in the transmission cooler that I removed. Cleared ECM and filled up with new gas.

No real change, same symptoms and it still throws code 81.

I will upload a video to youtube with the engine running idle after the test run today.

However, I did notice that wiggling this plug (image below) I can get some electrics in the engine and dash to react. I presume that is not supposed to happen. Again might not be related to the issue but definately needs fixing. It plugs my engine electrics to the rest of the boat, right? Can it be opened and connections checked and repaired?

Tomi
06-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Link to the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjUQM35hg9k&feature=youtu.be

CantRepeat
06-05-2013, 06:32 PM
Today went through the engine and checked all plugs. No issues. Found some old impeller pieces in the transmission cooler that I removed. Cleared ECM and filled up with new gas.

No real change, same symptoms and it still throws code 81.

I will upload a video to youtube with the engine running idle after the test run today.

However, I did notice that wiggling this plug (image below) I can get some electrics in the engine and dash to react. I presume that is not supposed to happen. Again might not be related to the issue but definately needs fixing. It plugs my engine electrics to the rest of the boat, right? Can it be opened and connections checked and repaired?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that is not normal and you don't have a high chance of resolving any issue as long as that kind of behavior is present.

Tomi
09-10-2014, 03:00 PM
Just incase someone has same issues mine was finally pretty clear. One of the injectors connector was not tight enough and injector lost connection. It was an easy fix by opening the connector and cleaning and twisting just a little bit to ensure proper connection. No issues since.

Tomi

CantRepeat
09-10-2014, 03:25 PM
Awesome! Glad you got it fixed and thanks for reporting back on the issue.