PDA

View Full Version : X15 ski or X14V surf - talk me out of this

FoggyNogginz
06-02-2013, 05:16 PM
Ok guys, I've read all the threads on the X-15 not being much of a ski boat, and I can see that because I was just in one today and it's HUGE. However, I've also read many threads about how it's not much of a surf boat.... yet with enough ballast it gets pretty darn big, just like my X9...which also surprises most folks.

At the same time, I've seen a fair amount of negativity on this forum surrounding the X-14V (and my X9) leading me to believe that the general consensus surrounding anything crossover is "no thank you". Even my dealer says that this boat (X-14V) sold like hotcakes for the first year, now he's discounting older models just to move them and no one comes in asking for one.

So here's the dilemma, I want to ski the course in the morning (15 off 33mph) and surf all day (I can do spins, jumps, etc). So without the option of buying two boats and selling the kids, what is the lesser of the two boating evils? I mean, which is worse....skiing the X15 or surfing the smaller wave on the X14-V? My current guess is that the X14V is the right choice, since you can keep adding ballast to anything and eventually you will make a big wave, right??? Maybe?? (case in point is here on my X9 DD (http://vimeo.com/43373846)).

I'm just growing really tired (lazy) of filling up ballast bags manually, rearranging seats, and walking around everyone in order to go from surf, to wake, to ski, so I'm ready to give the VDrives a shot.

To add to this, I have been surfing behind my friend's Malibu VTX for the past month and it is fantastic. I know, I know...and I have owned three MCs in my past so I am somewhat loyal. However, the Malibu diamond hull on the VTX also slaloms pretty darn well for a vdrive, but the extra foot missing from the VTX (20 foot) vs. the VLX (21 foot) is clearly noticeable.

So...who wants to help me flip this coin? I'm not looking for a diatribe on Malibu versus MC, but if anyone has some good insight/experience on pure wake quality...that would be fantastic. I know that nothing beats trying these all out myself, but knowledge from the group is also appreciated.

Justin D.
06-03-2013, 12:10 AM
I think the X15 is just too wide to use in a slalom course. The X15 is a fabulous boat (I own one) but for your application I would go with the X14V

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

madcityskier
06-03-2013, 12:28 AM
Obviously a MC guy, but I do both on a buddy's Super Air Nautique 210.34-15off with 100lbs in the bow is great. Surfing w/ factory ballast + 750 (I'd have to get back to you on how much in the locker), and you can surf either side. Love the seating arrangement to. No experience with the 14v, but don't like the seating layout as well myself.

dihrdskir
06-03-2013, 01:05 AM
Gotta give credit where it is due. I once had a 07 VTX wake and would have to say it was pretty bloody good. Above 30 MPH a totally acceptable slalom boat and an excellent surf boat too. Then again a mates Nautique SV 211 is pretty good too with the hydragate. Good all rounders, the both of them. The seat layout on the x 14 is a negative for me and I think the question about the X 15 I believe you have answered yourself..

davidstan
06-03-2013, 07:03 AM
Try the x2, skis well and with proper placed ballast surfs well.

rtw_travel
06-03-2013, 10:21 AM
Our neighbour has an X-15 and we have an X-14V. They are both great boats. In the spectrum of crossover boats, the X-15 is more of a wake boat, and less of a ski boat, while the X-14V is opposite. I've skied behind his boat - its fine if you want a recreational pull around the lake, but if you are a serious skier, you'll be very dissappointed.

There's a couple of threads with pictures from various X-14V owners. Yes, its a compromise. There are certainly way better ski boats, barefoot boats, wakeboats and surf boats, but the 14V is the boat we decided on to keep everyone happy because we all do different things behind the boat.

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=32937 (surf videos on page 7)
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=45858
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=40224

FoggyNogginz
06-03-2013, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the sanity check. I agree with the statements above, and I think that the X-14V is likely the optimal MC for me to have next. Who's sellin? ;) I would love a new X10 if I had a spare $92K laying around (quoted last week with straight face and a comment about a discount...almost died), but for that much cash a guy could do a lot. The X2 is nice, but I just don't seem to like the size of the boat. Seems a little stubby to me, but again that is just personal preference and I know a lot of folks love 'em.

Now I just have to get the VLX/VTX out of my head. I expect that the MC X14V will ski better than the larger VLX, but I have yet to see an impressive surf wake from one of the X14Vs. The posted photos that I have seen so far look like relatively small surf wakes to me, even with the add on upgrades from Midwest MC (no offense). Can anyone convince me that I can make a wave as big as my current X9DD behind the X14V? (see video above). This would make me run out and buy one asap.

Thanks once again!

swatguy
06-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Ask yourself this

Do you see your course time decreasing and your surf time increasing? OR the opposite in the long term. That would sway my decision.

I will agree with the others tho as well as I am a huge crossover boat snob these days. Aside from a 205V.... the VTX, new 20MKZ, and Nauti 210 all kill the surf, wakeboard, ski crossover market. Really if you are looking for the perfect mix its hard to discount those mfg's. MC just doesn't have that dialed yet. Pure ski, pure wakeboard, its dialed., but crossover and pure surf still lack

mccobmd
06-03-2013, 05:37 PM
The more I read the threads the more I wonder why MC dropped the 205V hull. Best crossover hull they have had to date, but then again, it's all about the money.

SP Maristar
06-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Small threadjack with a hull question. What hull does my 98 200 VRS share with other MC's. Is it the same as the 205V hull?

bcd
06-03-2013, 07:12 PM
I've never been behind one, but a Nautique 200V is supposed to be one of the best crossover boats.

Aric'sX15
06-03-2013, 07:24 PM
Crossover boats are usually not great at everything. They can do it all, but not very well if that makes sense.

That being said, my x-15 is for sale at Texas Mastercraft :D

mramerman@gmail.com
06-03-2013, 11:55 PM
Likely beating this topic to death. IMHO x14 favors the ski end of the spectrum and is a reasonable wakeboard boat. I ski and my wife wakeboards. We chose the v drive to keep a close eye on the kids. It is not a great surf boat, requiring a lot of extra ballast to achieve an ok wake (pain to set up).

It's the great "cross over compromise."

I regularly ski the nautique cross overs (air nautique) and the ski wake is harsh. Very hard. The boat is a good wakeboard boat and surfs well. Again IMHO favors wake and surfing.

My opinion is the x14 series is the very best cross over between ski and wake. If you are not an aggrieved slalom skier, then mabe then x15 is the best choice.

Ryan
06-04-2013, 09:46 AM
I for one have appreciated all of you who think you're beating this topic to death as I'm struggling with the decision on what my next boat will be.

I'm going to look at a x2 and a 21 LSV today with the family... I REALLY like my PS 190 but climbing over gear and kids is taking away some of the fun on the water.

FoggyNogginz
06-04-2013, 11:17 AM
Admittedly, I think the VTX is a strong contender in this segment too. As for whether I surf more or ski more, it would be more surf recently...but this is mostly because it's hard to ski on our lake later in the day. I realize that it's asking a lot to want a boat that creates a tiny ski wake and a huge surf wake, but for 60-90K there should be some additional focus on this option. Skiers are old, we know this, but I don't see how kids afford these boats anyway!

Thanks again for the feedback.

FoggyNogginz
06-04-2013, 11:19 AM
Ryan - do me a favor and ski behind the LSV. I'd like to get your feedback. Thanks!

Ryan
06-04-2013, 03:17 PM
We'll see. This is just a climb around the boat at the dealer thing. The lsv is on consignment and I think it's about $8k too high. So far there is no budging on price. I don't want to waste their time or mine with that situation.

Aric'sX15
06-04-2013, 05:00 PM
I second the vtx.... Great all around boat

madcityskier
06-04-2013, 06:56 PM
Likely beating this topic to death. IMHO x14 favors the ski end of the spectrum and is a reasonable wakeboard boat. I ski and my wife wakeboards. We chose the v drive to keep a close eye on the kids. It is not a great surf boat, requiring a lot of extra ballast to achieve an ok wake (pain to set up).

It's the great "cross over compromise."

I regularly ski the nautique cross overs (air nautique) and the ski wake is harsh. Very hard. The boat is a good wakeboard boat and surfs well. Again IMHO favors wake and surfing.

My opinion is the x14 series is the very best cross over between ski and wake. If you are not an aggrieved slalom skier, then mabe then x15 is the best choice.

Which Air Nautique, and what is your set up? The 210 I get on set up properly with 3 in boat towing me is comparable to the 98 ps205 my brother had, with a lot more spray, but @34-15, not really a factor.

Ryan
06-06-2013, 03:53 PM
Ryan - do me a favor and ski behind the LSV. I'd like to get your feedback. Thanks!

They aren't budging on price. I was floored at how much bigger the '08 LSV felt vs the '05 X2 sitting next to it. We felt like we could maybe take two adults with my family of six in a X2 and be somewhat comfortable. The LSV we felt like we could easily take another family of 6. It's got me thinking harder about keeping the X10 and X15 on my list but fear I'll lose a lot of skiability. There's always a trim tab right?

rodltg2
06-06-2013, 04:23 PM
I know it's taboo to recommend another brand but MC just does not have a model in the current line up that fits the bill. If $ isn't an issue I saySN 200v.

mramerman@gmail.com
06-06-2013, 04:32 PM
Which Air Nautique, and what is your set up? The 210 I get on set up properly with 3 in boat towing me is comparable to the 98 ps205 my brother had, with a lot more spray, but @34-15, not really a factor.

2004 AN 216 with two guys in boat:

15 off @ 34 mph hits a very hard table

28 off @ 34 mph is smooth(er) but now getting hull wash

2010 x14v with two guys in boat

15 off @ 34 mph has a definitive table, but it is much softer

28 off @ 34 mph is smooth as a board. No noticeable bump.

** In either case you are still dealing with a table at 15 off. In the case of MC, it is interesting how soft the crossing is despite having the engine in the wrong place (I am an owner and I said it).

I have NOT had the opportunity to ski a 214 DD---I am guessing it is dang near 190 wake crossing with the added bonus of more room for cruising and other sports. I try not to think about it very much; however, I am suspicious the 214 dd or x14dd could be "it"......

sully
06-06-2013, 11:17 PM
I have always read it's easier to take a ski boat and add weight to make it a wakeboard or surf board boat than it its to take weight away or move the engine to center to make a good ski boat.

We started surfing behind our X14 (DD) this year by adding some weight. No complaints from any rider.

Ryan
06-07-2013, 01:07 AM
I'm also interested to see if anyone has first hand experience to compare the x15 and the old x10/ms210.

Thanks!

rtw_travel
06-07-2013, 09:36 PM
2010 x14v with two guys in boat

15 off @ 34 mph has a definitive table, but it is much softer

28 off @ 34 mph is smooth as a board. No noticeable bump...

What difference do you find the A plate adjustment makes to the wake?

JohnE
06-07-2013, 09:57 PM
I know it's taboo to recommend another brand but MC just does not have a model in the current line up that fits the bill. If $ isn't an issue I saySN 200v.

So Rod you are saying that the SN200V skis and surfs better than the 214V? I'm not arguing as I haven't been behind one, but I'm just curious....I searched this on the skitek forum and couldn't find much input.

FoggyNogginz
06-16-2013, 05:19 PM
I am leaning toward either the X14, 214PS, or Malibu VTX. I just spent a week skiing behind my X9/209 every single day, and I had forgotten how much I love slalom.

I know that you can weight down the PS214 DD and create a good surf wave because you have so much room in the back to create a wave, and the engine in the middle helps make the wave longer. That being said, I am quite tired of having ballast bags everywhere in my X9 DD.

If the X14 can be weighted to create a surf wave even a "little" better than what I have on the X9/209, then this could be a winner. I just haven't seen any photos that look promising, and I've seen all of them on TeamTalk. I just find it hard to believe that you can't weight that boat well enough to create a substantial wave, but nothing has yet to appear impressive on this front.

Perhaps if I keep wishing hard enough, a good crossover boat will just come true eventually.

Thanks again for the feedback and comments.