PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter question

stumbledog
10-03-2005, 06:14 PM
On my 93 prostar I see a water separator filter and then another housing I assume holds a fuel filter???

I can not spin the water separator filter off. How do I get it off to replace it?

Is there a filter in that housing?

Dan K
10-03-2005, 06:26 PM
It does not spin of it should have a screw in the center that unscrews it.

lakes Rick
10-03-2005, 06:27 PM
On my 93 prostar I see a water separator filter and then another housing I assume holds a fuel filter???

I can not spin the water separator filter off. How do I get it off to replace it?

Is there a filter in that housing?

The original water filter was a bear to get off of my boat.. I had to dissassemble some lines and pieces to get at it, purchased a "strap type" filter remover, and use a half inch breaker bar to get mine off... Some guy with big forearms at the factory installing them.....

Of course a fuel leak would not be a pretty thing .......

east tx skier
10-03-2005, 06:30 PM
I second what Rick said. Replaced my spin-on last spring and it was miserable to get off. A good filter wrench should do the trick, but not in my case. Took it to the local Shell station and gave them a few bucks to do it. The little black thing is also a fuel filter. Remove the bottom screw and the support can be moved out from under the housing that holds the filter element. This one was actually easier than the spin-on filter.

stumbledog
10-03-2005, 06:48 PM
OK. That is what I thought. I have tried a filter remover I use for oil filters with no luck. I have another type that will probably pierce the filter that is a last resort.

I really used a lot of force and it would not budge. Just wanted to touch base before I got in over my head.

east tx skier
10-03-2005, 06:55 PM
I was advised that before you really muscle it, you might want to completely unscrew all the mounting hardware and put it in a vice so that you don't pull more than the filter loose. Not having a vice handy, I took it to a pro, who, if he broke something else, could explain to me why he didn't take it out and put it in a vice. The cost was truly minimal. It will not take long to unscrew it this year.

Hoff1
10-04-2005, 09:15 AM
If you filter housing looks like this, it doesn't spin off. It's the one that needs the screwed removed as Dan mentioned. Not sure when they changed to the spin off kind.

kdr
10-04-2005, 10:46 AM
My 94 has a spin off. It was a pain to get off.

east tx skier
10-04-2005, 11:12 AM
In 93, they had both.

Hunterb
10-04-2005, 07:57 PM
If it's a spin off filter and it's stuck it is probably rusted onto the header. Mine was hopelessly stuck when I went to change it. I did was East Texas suggested and removed the whole apparatus and stuck it in a vice. I eventually had to cut the filter off about an inch down from the header. I then pried, hammered, sawed, bashed and cursed until I got it out in several pieces. I put the new one on with some anti-sieze and will make sure it is loose before winterizing.

Have fun. I hope it's easier to get off than mine was.

Bruce